The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Joshua...

+3
milkyboy
hampo17
TheMackemMawler
7 posters

Go down

Anthony Joshua... Empty Anthony Joshua...

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:04 pm

... he won Olympic gold by losing twice and not impressing [much] in his victories, how does he fare against our other SHW - Joe Joyce.....

2011 GB Amateur Boxing Champion
2012 Senior ABAE Champion
2012 GB Amateur Boxing Champion
2012 Tammer Tournament, Finland - gold

Hopefully 6olden will shed some light....

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua... Empty Re: Anthony Joshua...

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:13 pm

I think the light is shed on the european championship thread?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:07 pm

When did he lose in the olympics?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:44 pm

I think Mackem means he 'Lost' twice but got the decisions. I would pretty much agree.

Not that it matters as he appears to have disowned his own thread!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:03 pm

I don't think he lost, people forget that you score it different in the Olympics.. He was behind but came back for a very close call, Against a pervious very experienced champ. You can lose 2 rounds to 1, But still win the fight if you scored loads of points in that one round, people forget that..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:12 pm

Mackem's way more of an amateur guru than me tunes but I get the scoring. It's down to the vagaries of judges hitting a button at (more or less) the same time to score a shot.

In two fights it looked to me like Joshua had been outlanded, in one of them pretty clearly. It's probably just two of many quirks of that method of scoring... It just looks a bit 'homey' when it was a Brit getting the benefit at our Olympics.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 08 Jun 2013, 1:14 am

the scoring in amateurs is ridiculous, it can come down to reaction times of judges as opposed to the actual fight. i think it may have changed now though, if anybody knows for sure?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:49 am

Had an early night last night. Thankfully, Milky cleared the 'loss' up; mind you its a bit cheeky of tunes to imply no one understands amateur scoring but him. I think the problem is we understand the procedure well and for that reason we don't understand the results. Joshua was out-landed (with traditionally scoring shots) in at least one fight (Erislandy Savon), perhaps even two (the Roberto Cammarelle final and subsequent count back).

For the record I not only think Joshua beats Joyce but also has more potential.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:16 am

But for me Joshua was taking the fight, in the last round the Italian was staring to hold and get tired.. It was a very close fight and maybe the fact it was at home did favour Joshua but I think using the word robbery like some have is OTT, The Italian was holding on in the last round and Joshua landed a lot... for me The first round was very close with Italy maybe nicking it, second went to Italy and the third clearly went to UK...

How ever you look at it he was more than a match for the previous champ who was clearly very experienced and solid.. A talent who if adapted to the pro game well would be a very good prospect. I think he should turn pro ASAP and start learning and building him self up as a pro...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:22 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Had an early night last night. Thankfully, Milky cleared the 'loss' up; mind you its a bit cheeky of tunes to imply no one understands amateur scoring but him. I think the problem is we understand the procedure well and for that reason we don't understand the results. Joshua was out-landed (with traditionally scoring shots) in at least one fight (Erislandy Savon), perhaps even two (the Roberto Cammarelle final and subsequent count back).

For the record I not only think Joshua beats Joyce but also has more potential.

I was not referring to anyone not understanding the rules as such, just implying people can be swayed by being used to the scoring in the pro game...

I don't think the judges would have been frauds. I just watched the fight again and still have it very close indeed. Joshua was blocking a lot of Cammarelles punches.. And I'm half Italian and often back Italian boxers so its not me being bias.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm

Camarelle lands more clean shots using the knuckle part of the glove delivered with force to the scoring part of the target; by definition, he should have won the fight. Throughout the fight Camarelle's experience allowed him to pre-empt shots and take the sting out of them. There's no denying the shots that knocked his head back were eye catching, thus scored.

If we applied Pro judging techniques to this fight then Joshuas flurry at the end of the first might have won him the round (rather than 6-5 in Camarelle favour; which i disagree with - it should have been more).

Joshua deservedly won the the second so I'd have them going into the third as equal. Camarelle won the third hence the fight. It was closer than i remembered and certainly not a robbery by any stretch.

I'm not implying the judges were corrupt - just that the system is flawed (not that this fight is the greatest example to prove this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6RNONdlk4

...(sorry about the commentator, what a numpty, clueless)
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:26 am

Not much sympathy for Camarelly the spoiler. My knowledge of the amateur game had waned substantially going nto the Olympics but I was told to expect god thing from Camarelle. I thought he was an awful spoiler. Joshua lost his first fight to the Savon kid hands down though I thought.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm

Camerelle was a bit past it in the 2012 olympics it looked to be honest. HE had injury problems leading up to the event I think over the past couple of years and it showed, to be fair to him Manos.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote: Camarelle won the third hence the fight. It was closer than i remembered and certainly not a robbery by any stretch.

I'm not implying the judges were corrupt - just that the system is flawed (not that this fight is the greatest example to prove this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6RNONdlk4

...(sorry about the commentator, what a numpty, clueless)

Camarelle won the third?? you having a laugh, Joshua won the third by a mile... Second round was clearly Camerelles as well... the first round was the only close round which Camarelle probably nicked after a good shot late on.. if it was a Pro fight Joshua would have been taking control whole Camarelle was starting to hold on..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down