The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre

+2
RubyGuby
pete (buachaill on eirne)
6 posters

Go down

Who would YOU start against the Wallabies (inside centre)?

The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_lcap9%The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_lcap40%The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 18 ]
The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_lcap36%The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 16 ]
The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_lcap15%The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 45

The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Empty The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 am

Alright guys!

I figured we could get this going to give us a bit of a heads up on the general consensus of opinions for Lions Test shirts. We'll have a starting XV in no time BUT I am going to leave vote cancelling on so people can change their minds over the next 8 days or so.

Keep the debate honest and punch above the belt.  The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre 496889

ps: remember this is not a prediction, it is a "who would YOU select" poll.

So far our team is

Vunipola-Youngs-Jones
Gray-POC (c)
SOB-Heaslip-Tipuric

Davies
Has had a mixed bag in Australia but undoubtdely has class. He defends well and has a really strong running game where he runs intelligent decoy lines and support lines. His passing is touch and go at times particularly his longer passing game which can be wild. He also comes with a left boot which can be handy.

Roberts
Showed against the BaaBaa's what a strong direct presence he can be and how he can utilise that best with deft offloads and drawing defenders. His defense is top notch and his distribution is not bad. He has big game experience and we know that the Roberts-BOD axis works.

Tuilagi
Looked good alongside BOD in the position that he is less than used to. He brings such an amazing level of go forward and is such a danger man, his passing and agility is really underrated IMO and he brings such a physical presence both in attack and defense.

Twelvetrees
The new man on tour can't have much of a chance to start the test as his only chance to impress is next Wednesday before the game. He is a very different option to the other guys in that he brings such athleticism and footballing skill.

Ok guys get the debate started and get the votes coming in. 
Much love.
Buachaill

Back to top Go down

The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Empty Re: The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:36 am

Roberts for his consistency and his defence. I can see Tuilangi getting caught in defence with the more agile Aussies thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre Empty Re: The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

This is a difficult choice, and actually the man that I would start at inside centre is not on the list, and that is Brian O'Driscoll. So to the list.

I don't think that Twelvetrees is really in contention in all honesty, so it's one of the other three.

I am a massive fan of JD2, but I do much prefer him at 13, where he has a great outside break and the power to get across the gainline. The negative for him at 12 is as pete has said, his passing can be hit and miss, and if it's not functioning well we could have problem. The upside to having him there is that he has the best kicking game of the three, which could be important if this beocmes a territorial game.

Roberts, you know what you are going to get, and he has played very well in conjunction with O'Driscoll in the centre before. He was however poor against the worst opposition of the tour, so if you are looking at form then that's a negative for him. He is however a big game player, and could well come good in the tests.

Then there is Manu, who hasn't played much at 12, and looked limited there last summer against South Africa. He has however improved as a player over the past year, and looks to move the ball on more now than he did 12 months ago. He terrified the AB's in autumn and that could well put doubts into some of the Aussies minds, but is he as effective at 12 as he is at 13?

Really difficult choice, as they are all three top quality international players. Roberts has the advantage of being a recognised 12, and for that reason I think Gatland will go with him in the jersey. As I said at the start, my preference would be O'Driscoll, but in the absence of him to choose from, I am going to go for Tuilagi. I think he can really put the Aussies on the back foot, in particular with Sexton at 10 taking the ball to the line and bringing him in at pace.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 am

Apologies Ozzy-

I didn't include BOD as he has played 13 with all the other centre options at 12.

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:43 pm

I know there's no chance - but if only - 36 and O'Driscollc as a pairing.
The 606v2 Lions Selection Inside Centre 3933776953
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:45 pm

I must say I am surprised more didn't go for Roberts, what has he done to be dropped for Tuilagi?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:54 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I must say I am surprised more didn't go for Roberts, what has he done to be dropped for Tuilagi?

I've gone with Manu, not because Roberts has done anything to be dropped but because I think the best midfield combo we've had so far as been Sexton - Tuilagi - BOD

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Tuilagi and BOD are a dream combo. Tuilagi punches the holes, BOD scythes through them.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down