The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Tour of USA & Canada

+30
Artful_Dodger
the-goon
neilthom7
GunsGerms
Golden
Thomond
The Great Aukster
St John The Enforcer
Sin é
ME-109
Hookisms and Hyperbole
LeinsterFan4life
red_stag
Ledge the ledgebag
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
gleesonisgod
long-man
clivemcl
Pot Hale
profitius
Gibson
wolfball
The Boss
rodders
Standulstermen
SecretFly
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
debaters1
34 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ireland Tour of USA & Canada - Page 2 Empty Ireland Tour of USA & Canada

Post by debaters1 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 3:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

rodders wrote:Consider my roll slowed...

I don't think Jackson is great. I think he is good though and his distribution is excellent, better even than Sextons, he has good pace and is a solid defender. I'm not sure that he has the mental strength or personality to be a top class 10 and boss games but at only 21 its hard to judge and he has time.

I don't accept though that he has been selected on anything other than merit or that his contributions so far for Ireland have been anything other than positive.

If you judged Sexton on his goal kicking then he is a mediocre player. Except he isn't mediocre, he's top class.

Madigan is the second best 10 in Ireland right now, I think nearly everyone agrees, but in February this wasn't necessarily the case.

This right here ^^^ 100% true. Had an argument with my sister who is a Leinster fan (we're an odd family, Cork father, Kilkenny mother, living in Dublin I was born in Belgium) about this at the time. madigan was in good form in Feb and has shown he can play 10 but usually (at that point) it was almost exclusively Rabo amd not against an Ulster or Munster or Ospreys type side whereas PJ had played a Heino 1/4 in Thomond and helped Ulster win as well as the semi and final loss. So totally earned and is in credit for his 6 nations game too. But if Kidney were making the decision now, he'd obviously pick IM today.

Oh and agreed, his first 15 caps or so, if you took away a 9/9 or 10/10 kicking performance for Ireland against Fiji or Samoa (apols for failing memory here) in the RDS, Sexton was kicking less than 50% for Ireland. People would have shot ROG for less than 80%.

Regarding the mental side of the game that you have questions about over Jackson, I agree but that's the thing. if you told someone in May 2000 that ROG would go on to be capped 125+ times, tour thrice with the Lions, be named Heino play of the first 15 years of the comp, winning it twice and have the testicular fortitude to win two games on consecutive weeknds with drop goals, there would have been many to question your sanity.

People forget that only about 10% (if that) of players are like BOD or POC, the others learn to be winners by losing and learning from it, gaining experience and testing themselves weeke in week out. ROG is a winner but less in the 'born' mould more in the 'made' sense but he had many weaknesses in his game that he himself and his coaches too, refused to hide. ROG was never stuck out on the wing on opposition ball or hidden in some other way. He stood his post and was run over. And over agin. And got back up. Targeted for each and every one of his 125 Test caps and 200+ Munster games and had a 14 year pro career. That's balls right there.It is easy to always showcase what you're great at and forget your weaknesses. ROG didn't do that and I hope PJ doesn't either.

He is so young and has many strings to his bow and he and Madigan and JJ will hopefully be providing us with many a (positive!) selection dilemna over the coming years. This is the depth we've craved for the past 5 or 6 years, so we do not have to as patient, but we do not have to be super rash either.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Ireland Tour of USA & Canada - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland Tour of USA & Canada

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:37 am

Shut up POM..you are cruising too close.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:41 am

Tommy O'Donnell in

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:42 am

14 - 33

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:43 am

Forward again like. Can we please just score a good try that shows superior class.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:45 am

It was a bit of a forward doing a backs try though;.... so.... halfway house..

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:47 am

Yea, but it was pretty dire tackling. Sorry about being a downer!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:50 am

Oh don't mind that. I'm seeing this as the last Kiss Smal game. It has a lot of the hallmarks but a win is a win at this stage before a new template hopefully comes into operation over the next year or two.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:51 am

What was with that pass from henry?? Good line from Trimble.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:55 am

POM wanted that a bit didn't he? Well held up!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:56 am

McFadden in

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:58 am

Canada 14 - 40 Ireland final score

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:58 am

Night folks!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:58 am

Night clive Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:33 am

Missed the game. 

McFadden obviously read my comments about him. Fair play to him, I'll reevaluate my opinion on him.

I'm particularly interested to see how POM/TOD/Cave/Mads got on. From what I've heard/read it sounds quite positive.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:07 pm

Ah it was a pretty poor performance really.PoM looked a class above everyone on the pitch but needs to cop himself on a bit,it'll come in time.I didn't really understand why we turned down easy penalties at the end of the 1st half but maybe it was a directive from above.

Some signs that Schmidt was involved during the week,a few inside passes around the ruck area in particular stood out.However while we had some decent individual performances from the pack I don't think they worked very well as a unit.We rarely put any sustained pressure on Canada and were too quick to go wide when it wasn't always on.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:19 pm

So another great game from POM? What did he do that was so good?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:22 pm

POM was a driving bull - practically and mentally at times.  He needs to be careful of wise old teams seeing his temperament and having programmes in situ to rile him into a few yellow cards. He cruised close towards the end as the ref tired of his passionate rage a tad.

I think first half was disappointing because we played a usual Irish game of not enough pace or attacking menace.  Second half (yes the Canadians had less gas in the tank then) was much more pleasing in that department as the hits became more clinical and there seemed to be real scoring intent in the tempo adopted.

Perhaps, as sore said, the rhythm of the game was a directive handed down by the coach but Ireland really have to become a more dominant team - forcing their pace onto a game rather than chugging along accepting the opponent's pace for long sections.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

Fly - where do you see POM's future lie with Ireland? At 6 or at 8? Do you see him as a future captain?

I have rated POM highly ever since he came on the scene a few years back. My main criticism of him is that he needs to bulk up a good bit.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:03 pm

I'd think more 6ish Rory, in my opinion.  Both at 6 or 8 though he needs quite a bit of honing still to make his presence more effective.  Not a criticism but saying that he has genuine hard-dog potential and could be a real gritty star under Schmidt. 

I think bulk probably could be increased but some of that will come with age anyway and there is a balance to be struck between mobility and bulk.  We need our forwards to continue to morph into that area between that of close contact power and that of pace/mobility/handling skills to merge with backs moves.  If certain forwards need bulking then they also need more emphasis on speed and getting those legs especially developed to carry the bulk at pace.

I've said this before but I think Irish rugby would benefit mucho by employing a dedicated world class sprinting coach to concentrate simply on techniques of running to get most impact from energy used.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:23 pm

POM could be rugby's roy keane!

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:29 pm

Hat trick for McFadden was it? I never rated him as a centre. I thought he was severely over rated. But he has always impressed me in the #14 shirt be it for Ireland or Leinster.

I'd like to see Peter O'Mahony installed as Munster captain next year. I think realistically we will see him starting at 6 for both Munster and Ireland.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:36 pm

I know a lot of people disagree with me here, and he looked fantastic alongside TOD for Munster, but I genuinely think he has always looked best at 8.

Anyway, if he is at 6 for Ireland, do you see O'Brien staying at 7 then? Or being dropped?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:44 pm

I think we would see the following as our most likely backrow

Why do people think Schmidt will include Chris Henry and go for this Natural Seven Holy Grail?

O'Mahony has often looked good at 8 yes but he has done so too at 6. His performance from the #6 position against Quins this year was truly superb.

He plays McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip normally and brings on Jennings. I expect the below backrow will be (injury permitting) what we see play NZ.

04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Peter O'Mahony
07 Sean O'Brien
08 Jamie Heaslip

19 Iain Henderson
20 Chris Henry
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:46 pm

I see it more as a case of Irish squad growing in real terms rather than trying to find one stalwart for any position, Rory.  We know Ireland have underperformed in the past through competitions because we relied on single guys in single positions carrying us through...and didn't want to/or couldn't trust the alternatives.  We know we have to have more real alternatives for those positions to spread out responsiblity and rest players through a campaign.  Ireland really has to become a potent squad rather than a potent team.  Schmidt will be the newest guy on the block to try it! Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

Under Kidney and O'Sullivan before him, Ireland have never grasped the concept of promoting squad depth and using entire 23 man squad to win a game.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

I can see Locky getting plenty of gametime for Ireland at 6 because Joe really rates the guy. Sure he even puts SOB at 7 to accomandate him.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

I don't think he really will. Schmidt likes his hard graft and his lineout ability but I can't see him getting in ahead of O'Mahony or Henderson. In the event of injury I could see him feature.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:11 pm

I agree with Secretfly there. These days having 15 isn't enough. Its a squad game and the team should be rotated often. Schmidts job is to get the balance right between rotation and still having the team play well. 

POM can switch between 6 and 8. No harm is keeping Heaslip on his toes. When a player thinks he is guaranteed his place then performances dip.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

profitius wrote:I agree with Secretfly there. These days having 15 isn't enough. Its a squad game and the team should be rotated often. Schmidts job is to get the balance right between rotation and still having the team play well. 

POM can switch between 6 and 8. No harm is keeping Heaslip on his toes. When a player thinks he is guaranteed his place then performances dip.

Which is probably why we are seeing Heaslip perform better for the Lions fighting for a place.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:24 pm

red_stag wrote:I think we would see the following as our most likely backrow

Why do people think Schmidt will include Chris Henry and go for this Natural Seven Holy Grail?

O'Mahony has often looked good at 8 yes but he has done so too at 6. His performance from the #6 position against Quins this year was truly superb.

He plays McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip normally and brings on Jennings. I expect the below backrow will be (injury permitting) what we see play NZ.

04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Peter O'Mahony
07 Sean O'Brien
08 Jamie Heaslip

19 Iain Henderson
20 Chris Henry

Schmidt values a more traditionalesque 7, hence Jennings tends to play in the big matches and excels.  And when he doesn't start, he comes on and changes the face of a match.  There is a reason why Leinster's backrow is one of the best in Europe- it is 'balanced', where players skills are put to its best use for the benefit of the team.  POM, SOB and Heaslip has not worked and I don't see it ever working.  POM is nowhere the level of Stephen Ferris and Ferris/SOB/Heaslip worked once, maybe twice the entire time it was put together.  The best individuals do not make the best team.  Lydiate would not get near an Irish shirt based on individual play.  He tackles, works pretty hard, but does nothing else.  Yet pair him with Warburton and Falateau and the Welsh backrow is immense.  Balance, individuals using their skills, even if limited to a gameplan designed to accentuate their skill sets, to excellent effect.  

On form the best, most balanced, and most complimentary backrow Ireland could put out would be,
06 Sean O'Brien
07 Tommy O'Donnell
08 Jamie Heaslip

POM would miss out.  Hard cheese.  But he can come off the bench to good effect if need be.  Used whatever cliches you like, round pegs in round holes or horses for courses.  The best individuals don't make the best unit.

Last edited by Hookisms and Hyperbole on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:24 pm

I don't think having the natural 7 is an imperative but SOB and Heaslip usually look better with one. Having said that I'm not sure we have a natural good enough atm. POM SOB Heaslip is still a good back row and one that can provide some good quality ball.

Ideally I would like to see SOB TOD POM. 

Leavy and Van Der Flier looked impressive for the u20's but I fear, like Jordi,Ryan,and Ruddock, they may get very limited game time even though they may be good enough.

I think Schmidt will completely transform Irish fortunes and the other nations will not know has hit them.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:41 pm

Ye Gleeson, Leavy especially looks to be something else. We alao have Conan and Gilsenan who were immense in last years JWC. All these backrowers will now need to be managed and developed properly.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

Leinster have some real quality in the back row and I hope to see them developed properly. I don't think Ruddock is one for the future for a few reasons, yet I fear he will hold back the other players. Dominic Ryan, despite having great potential, can't seem to last a season. The next best young player who has played in Leinster colours at the senior level is Jordi Murphy, who has played both at 7 and 8. I would love to see him get more chances, he has looked very good.

I have heard great things about Leavy also, and Conan/Gilsenan as LF4L said were brilliant last year in the JWC.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 3:32 pm

hook still spouting crap i see about POM. He was our best player in the 6ns and lead the tour from the front. Don't worry hook he will be in situ come november.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun 16 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

ME-109 wrote:hook still spouting crap i see about POM. He was our best player in the 6ns and lead the tour from the front. Don't worry hook he will be in situ come november.

Well DOD he wasn't one of the best players in the Six Nations, although he was excellent against France.  I couldn't believe Murray got MOTM considering POM's display.  He did decently against Wales but anonymous the rest of the campaign, although not much he could do against Italy.  He was superb for Munster in the HC, but I think that has a good bit to do with TOD as well.  POM could run Heaslip close but I'd rather have SOB at 6.  POM is a mile ahead of Henderson though.  I'm in danger of having to change my mind about him thumbsup

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

I didn't think Schmidt showed any real preference for a traditional 7 per say. We have another Leinster fan claiming he has moved Sean O'Brien to accommodate Kevin McLaughlin. Which is it?

In this year's Amlin Cup Final he played Ruddock, O'Brien and Heaslip with Jennings on the bench.

In last year's Heineken Cup Final he played McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip with Jennings on the bench.

When push comes to shove I don't see this panic to have a "real 7" in the team from Schmidt.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:

04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Peter O'Mahony
07 Sean O'Brien
08 Jamie Heaslip

19 Iain Henderson
20 Chris Henry

Schmidt values a more traditionalesque 7, hence Jennings tends to play in the big matches and excels.  And when he doesn't start, he comes on and changes the face of a match.  There is a reason why Leinster's backrow is one of the best in Europe- it is 'balanced', where players skills are put to its best use for the benefit of the team.  POM, SOB and Heaslip has not worked and I don't see it ever working.  POM is nowhere the level of Stephen Ferris and Ferris/SOB/Heaslip worked once, maybe twice the entire time it was put together.  The best individuals do not make the best team.  Lydiate would not get near an Irish shirt based on individual play.  He tackles, works pretty hard, but does nothing else.  Yet pair him with Warburton and Falateau and the Welsh backrow is immense.  Balance, individuals using their skills, even if limited to a gameplan designed to accentuate their skill sets, to excellent effect.  

On form the best, most balanced, and most complimentary backrow Ireland could put out would be,
06 Sean O'Brien
07 Tommy O'Donnell
08 Jamie Heaslip

POM would miss out.  Hard cheese.  But he can come off the bench to good effect if need be.  Used whatever cliches you like, round pegs in round holes or horses for courses.  The best individuals don't make the best unit.

Surely you mean Ferris/Wally/Heaslip (or even Easterby/Wally/Leamy). The common denominator in all our best back rows was Wally who wasn't a traditional openside.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm

ME-109 wrote:hook still spouting crap i see about POM. He was our best player in the 6ns and lead the tour from the front. Don't worry hook he will be in situ come november.

Well DOD he wasn't one of the best players in the Six Nations, although he was excellent against France.  I couldn't believe Murray got MOTM considering POM's display.  He did decently against Wales but anonymous the rest of the campaign, although not much he could do against Italy.  He was superb for Munster in the HC, but I think that has a good bit to do with TOD as well.  POM could run Heaslip close but I'd rather have SOB at 6.  POM is a mile ahead of Henderson though.  I'm in danger of having to change my mind about him thumbsup

Hardly surprising he was anonymous in the backrow when he played a sizeable part of the other game on the wing:D
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

anyhow the phony war is over...over to you Joe...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:59 pm

Jesus Christ Sin, here you are with your nonsense again as usu.....hold on here.  Something magical has happened.  I agree with what you just said.  The munchkins are delighted.  Lets go down down the yellowbrick road with the lollypop guild.  

I've said this before, David Wallace is the biggest loss to Irish rugby in the previous decade.  We miss him more than POC and perhaps more than we will miss BOD.  He may have not been a 'traditional' 7 but he had a function in the team that he carried out, and he complimented whoever he played with.  Kidney tried to replace him with SOB and now POM.  Sorry Deccie, it aint worked.  Its time we time about a new use of the backrow with a different balance and different tactics.  Joe seems to prefer Jennings in the big matches.  Last season against Northampton in the final and he didn't and it was a first half disaster. He brought on Jennings and how did that go?  Schmidt learned his lesson Stag.  
It is no surprise that Leinster at their best play with Jennings.  Individually are SOB or KMcL better players?  Yup.  But Jennings fulfils a function in the team better than the rest.  Might the best individual backrow be POM/SOB/Heaslip?  Maybe.  But has it worked at international level?  Nope.  Can Schmidt make it work?  Maybe.  But if he learns the lesson from what the best nations do then he will go for balance, balance, balance.  He needs a unit that functions well and that might well mean one of Heaslip, SOB or POM will miss out for TOD or Henry who have been outstanding at various points of this season. Its no surprise Ulster's form dipping dramatically when Henry was injured and rushed back half fit.  TOD was the star of Munster's QF and SF matches.  Yet people still want to go with the best individuals.  Lessons learnt=zero.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:07 pm

You are wrong, wrong, wrong regarding POM and no matter how many times you repeat it to yourself wont make it true.

POM is the best blindside currently that we have, the starting backrow in November will be POM, SOB and Jamie (hows my hair)..

Other than that i wish you a pleasant summer..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:10 pm

in addition based on last night and over the two games there don't seem to be many coming through. Except for cameos both kmcl and tod have a long way to go..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

ME-109 wrote:You are wrong, wrong, wrong regarding POM and no matter how many times you repeat it to yourself wont make it true.

POM is the best blindside currently that we have, the starting backrow in November will be POM, SOB and Jamie (hows my hair)..

Other than that i wish you a pleasant summer..

Hey, if Schmidt can get it to work then great.  I just don't think he will.  If Schmidt wants a more balanced unit someone will miss out.  Could be POM. Could be SOB.  Could be Heaslip.  I don't care who, as long as we win thumbsup

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:49 pm

You know, O'Donnell is more like Wallace in the 7 role than anything.  He originally played 6 or 8.  He is much more of a supporting link man who loves to get his hands on the ball, than a groundhog.  Which suits the irish game plan more in my opinion.

This "natural" 7 (and it does irritate me when David Wallace is described as not a 7, he was very much a 7 and sorely missed for Ireland) seems to be the media buzz word these days.  Schmidt clearly doesn't believe it is necessary to have the media interpretation of a "natural" 7.  Nor do I think Jennings single-handedly changed the dynamics of the Northampton game.

What do people think a "natural" 7 supposedly changes?  What is his purpose and what are the current options at 7 lacking?  To me the only reason O'Brien would be better elsewhere than 7 is because his real strengths are best used as a primary ball carrier, punching holes in the defensive line.  He usually gets more chances elsewhere.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:54 pm

Harsh on O'Brien, but I would like to see this given a shot:

6) O'Mahony
7) O'Donnell
8) Heaslip

The Munster back row impressed me greatly, so this could be interesting to watch. Or, if SOB is willing to move to number 8:

6) O'Mahony
7) O'Donnell
8) O'Brien

Triple O's. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

I hope Joe Schmidt also had an eye firmly on the Tbilisi Cup btw.  That competition seems to have gone under the radar with all the talk about the Ireland tour of USA and Canada, the JWC and the Lions.

It might be considered lesser competition in the guise of Georgia, Uruguay and the South African President's XV.  But when you consider Georgia is now ranked above USA and that the South African outfit would have given both USA and Canada a run for their money, the standard wasn't all that far below the senior tour.
Some nice performances today of real cutting edge attacking play against Uruguay (yes - it's Uruguay) but the creative high tempo desire to chase for space rather than into the nearest opponent has been refreshing to see both in the JWC and the Emerging Ireland outfit.  Niall Morris, D. Kearney, Tiernan O'Halloran and Keatley all having tasty turns

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:58 pm

04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Peter O'Mahony
07 Sean O'Brien
08 Jamie Heaslip

19 Iain Henderson
20 Chris Henry

06 Sean O'Brien
07 Tommy O'Donnell
08 Jamie Heaslip

This goy saves me so much typing. 

They haven't got it yet, Hook. I think Schmidt will formulate and pick the best balanced backrow Ireland have had to date, over the next 2 years. It wont just happen, it will have to tried, tried again and tested.   Between Kidney and Fast Eddie, a proper 7 never had a chance. They will with Schmidt. 

We already have a proliferation of backrowers in situ and they are still coming through in their droves. Schmidt will sacrifice the best -  "on paper"  6,  7 or 8, to balance it. He did in 3 x Heino wins. There will be initial  tears, provincial wailing and gnashing of gums,  but more long-term  success.  

Believe. 
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm

I always have the fear that a new coach will have serious provincial bias. I have a feeling Schmidt will.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm

POM has a way to go, but he will make great backup for SOB and Heaslip. All good.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:14 pm

Gibson wrote:POM has a way to go, but he will make great backup for SOB and Heaslip. All good.

Indeed. It will be interesting to see who Schmidt recruits as Forwards Coach - he obviously has someone who is coaching Super Rugby in mind. Laurie Fischer seems to be doing a top job with the Brumbies - he really liked his time in Ireland as well - had huge time for Tommy O'Donnell - maybe he is on the way back to Ireland. Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next