The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rank these courses

+7
barragan
Shotrock
raycastleunited
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
super_realist
JAS
11 posters

Go down

Rank these courses Empty Rank these courses

Post by JAS Fri 21 Jun - 19:31

Rank these courses (it's up to you what ranking criteria you use but do let us know the basis of your ranking e.g. Toughness, pleasure to play, value etc)

Royal Dornoch
Castle Stuart
Trump International
Royal Aberdeen
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns
North Berwick 
Dundonald Links
Sunningdale New
The Grove

JAS

Back to top Go down

Rank these courses Empty Re: Rank these courses

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Jun - 19:42

I've only played Kingsbarns, Dornoch and Carnoustie out of that list, and coincidently they are probably my top three courses that I have ever played. 
Carnoustie probably edges it for me as the toughest, but faourite course I have played. Playing 16,17 18 in flat calm weather with a setting sun was fantastic. Missed a four foot birdie putt on 18 though mad

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Jun - 20:05

As I have not played them all I will have to rely on some very trusted views to rank all of them.

North Berwick
Dornoch
Suningdale New
Royal Aberdeen
Kingsbarnes
Carnoustie
Castle Stuart
Dundonald
Trumpton
The grove

In the order I would have the most fun round/most enjoyment playing the course.

it would also pretty much be the order in which I would hand out recommendations.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Jun - 20:51

Must admit Mac, you could spend a lifetime searching the planet for a more enjoyable place to play golf than North Berwick and come back empty handed. Maybe it doesn't have the toughness to be as stern a test as say Carnoustie or have quite the same level of scenic beauty as KB, or the magnificent isolation of Dornoch but  for a days golf of unbridled fun and pleasure it's hard to beat.
Overall taking the mix of different criteria into consideration it's neck and neck for the top spot between Carnoustie and Dornoch for me with NB just behind.

I deliberately chose 5 old and 5 new (Sunningdale "new" being a bit of a misnomer) into the mix to see how people view modern vs traditional.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 21 Jun - 21:22

Insulated life over here I'm afraid...

Of those, I've only played the Grove (3 or 4 corporate days) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Heard great things about North Berwick from lads at our club that have been (along the lines that it was really enjoyable rather than a critique of holes). Other than that it's only second hand accounts.

Opportunities are few and far between (get the violins out chaps)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Jun - 22:21

Jas, I really love north berwick and find it such a fun place to play.  I guess I might have to advise someone who could only play NB or Dornoch to play dornoch but on a personal level NB is probably my favorite course.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 21 Jun - 23:26

I can only comment on the courses I have played (something to think about eh Mac?)

1. Sunningdale New - I actually enjoyed this more than Sunningdale Old, it is more challenging off the tee and it reaches deeper into the heathland and the terrain is wilder, more natural and more exposed. Maybe I have rose-tinted spectacles here because I played both courses on a lovely summer day when my drives were all sailing down the middle of the fairway.
2. North Berwick - Just love the quirkiness of the place, the course constantly makes you think. A real fun place to play, just gets pipped by Sunningdale because some of the holes aren't that challenging and success on some of them can be determined more by luck than skill.
3. Dundonald - A fantastic challenging course that makes you think, I always prefer courses where there is more than one way to play the hole. It gets marked down for the drab surroundings and the fact that the weather is likely to be miserable when you play.
4. The Grove - Not sure why this is in the list. Nice hotel and nice green complexes but otherwise nothing special. Not really a strategic course, and no thought required off the tee.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Jun - 23:47

To to clarify Ray...it was a list to get a debate going, not neccessarily what I think are the best 10 or even my favourite 10. As most were links I thought I'd throw in a couple of inland tracks (an oldie and a newy). As most of the other new ones had a Kyle Phillips theme, I thought I'd throw in his inland effort...I can see your point though Ray...nice as The Grove is, it's rather outclassed in this list.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 22 Jun - 0:37

OK, so now it's evident I need to get to North Berwick sometime soon!

Of the list, I have only played Royal Dornoch and Sunningdale New. I enjoyed bothn immensely, but if I had to play 10 rounds, it would be 7 at RD and 3 at SN.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 22 Jun - 2:21

Having only played one of these (JAS you smug git censored - that's just the tip of the iceberg for great courses you've played too!) I'll have to rank in order of 'most like to play'.

Dornoch
Castle Stuart
North Berwick
Carnoustie
Royal Aberdeen
Kingsbarns (again)
Trump

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Sat 22 Jun - 2:33

In order of played - 
Trump
Carnoustie
Castle Stuart

Want to play -
Dornoch
Kingsbarns
Sunningdale
Royal Aberdeen
N Berwick
Dundonald
Grove

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 22 Jun - 6:21

super_realist wrote:I've only played Kingsbarns, Dornoch and Carnoustie out of that list, and coincidently they are probably my top three courses that I have ever played. 
Carnoustie probably edges it for me as the toughest, but faourite course I have played. Playing 16,17 18 in flat calm weather with a setting sun was fantastic. Missed a four foot birdie putt on 18 though mad
I've only played Sunningdale and Carnoustie and like S_R enjoyed Carnoustie as a good test. I, however, made a three on the last. (Driver, 3 wood and putt. Very Happy)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 22 Jun - 8:31

Nice 3 wood, ImNW!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 22 Jun - 8:40

It was a long time ago, I think it was the year before J V-D-V had his mishap. It's always nice to walk off the final hole with a birdie. I had a young caddie who played golf to a higher standard than me and he got a big tip.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 24 Jun - 22:46

I'm surprised Royal Aberdeen is not higher on people's list.  The front 9 for me is the best 9 i've ever played.

Trump has tried to build the best golf course in the world.  At best is can only ever be the second best course within 10 miles of Aberdeen.Yahoo

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 25 Jun - 2:20

It would certainly be in the top half of the above list for me Scottie. I'd put it ahead of KB which is a terrific experience but £75 a round more expensive than RA. 

Played Carnoustie, KB, Trump & RA in a week in Sept last year. Carnoustie i play every year and love it to bits, the other 3 it was my first time and RA was the one that stuck most in the memory.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Jun - 18:40

PLayed KB on Sunday in horrendous weather, greens were the best I've ever seen them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down