The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 Draft Prospects

+16
TheBrownTown
Lowlandbrit
CFCNick
skins4ever
thunder and lightning
mikeygnfl
Leedscowboys
Number-25
Thomond
crazy_dave23
Grizzly
Pr4wn
Colan (niner)
Derbyblue
BamBam
twelve283
20 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2012 Draft Prospects - Page 8 Empty 2012 Draft Prospects

Post by twelve283 Mon 09 May 2011, 3:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

List of underclassmen who have declared for the 2012 NFL Draft:

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
QB Brock Osweiler, AZ State
QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
QB Darron Thomas, Oregon
RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
RB Lamar Miller, Miami
RB LaMichael James, Oregon
RB Robert Turbin, Utah State
RB Ronnie Hillman, SD State
RB Bernard Pierce, Temple
RB David Wilson, VT
RB Mike Ball, Nevada
RB Chris Polk, Washington
RB Darrell Scott, USF
RB Edwin Baker, Michigan State
RB Alvester Alexander, Wyoming
RB Jewel Hampton, Southern Illinois
WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
WR Tommy Streeter, Miami *
WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
WR Chris Givens, Wake Forrest
WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech
WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers
WR Rueben Randle, LSU
WR Eric Page, Toledo
WR Damaris Johnson, Tulsa
TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson
TE Orson Charles, Georgia
OL Matt Kalil, USC
OL David DeCastro, Stanford
OL Brandon Washington, Miami
OL Riley Reiff, Iowa
OL Peter Konz, Wisconsin
OL Jonathan Martin, Stanford
OL Bobby Massie, Ole Miss
DT Marcus Forston, Miami *
DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
DT Jarel Worthy, Michigan State
DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
DT Michael Brockers, LSU
DE Nick Perry, USC *
DE Oliver Vernon, Miami
DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
DE Chandler Jones, Syracuse
DE Donte Page-Moss, UNC
DE Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
DE Max Holloway, Boston College
DE Jonathan Massaquoi, Troy
LB Donta Hightower, Alabama
LB Vontaze Burfict, AZ State
LB Luke Kuelchy, Boston College
LB Terrell Manning, North Carolina State
CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
CB Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech
CB Cliff Harris, Oregon *
CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
CB Josh Robinson, UCF

Very early look at the 2012 draft prospects plus some youtube videos to wet your appetite.

Senior quarterbacks to keep an eye on include:

Nick Foles, Arizona, 6’5, 245lbs
Ryan Lindley, San Diego State, 6’4, 218lbs
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State, 6’3, 205lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3rsj3fjoOQ
Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, 6’4, 220lbs
Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State, 6’6, 235lbs
John Brantley, Florida, 6’3, 220lbs

Top underclassmen:

Andrew Luck, Stanford, 6’4, 235lbs
Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 6’4, 220lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8FpwaR-GUo
Matt Barkley, USC, 6’2, 220lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAdo1OyqiPc

If the top underclassmen all declare (chances are they wont) then the quarterback class looks pretty well stocked but even without them there is some depth to the class.

Michael Floyd, Notre Dame, 6’3, 228lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyfcBD_fZjU
Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M, 6’3, 215lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJ4FcW8Nug
Juron Criner, Arizona, 6’4, 210lbs
Greg Childs, Arkansas, 6’3, 217lbs

Top underclassmen:

Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina, 6’4, 232lbs
Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State, 6’1, 208lbs
Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers, 6’2, 218lbs

Much deeper class in 2012 than this year as beyond AJ Green and Julio Jones there weren’t many big guys who could run. Next year’s class however has a number of such types as well as others I haven’t mentioned.

Big year for offensive tackles?

Mike Adams, Ohio State, 6’8, 305lbs
Al Netter, Northwestern, 6’6, 310lbs
Nate Potter, Boise State, 6’6, 295lbs
Matt Reynolds, Bringham Young, 6’6, 322lbs
Andrew Datko, FSU, 6’6, 305lbs

Top underclassmen:

Matt Kalil, USC, 6’6, 295lbs
Jonathan Martin, Stanford, 6’6, 305lbs
Riley Reiff, Iowa, 6’6, 300lbs

There should be some good options for teams looking to improve their protection at the OT position even without the top underclassmen. There will probably be better depth in 2012 than there was this year as well.

LB has the potential to be the class of the draft, provided some of the top underclassmen declare:

Courtney Upshaw, Alabama, 6’2, 260lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6DGTN-_qxU
Chris Galippo, Southern California, 6’2, 250lbs
Brandon Lindsey, Pittsburgh, 6’2, 250lbs
Tank Carder, TCU, 6'3, 237lbs

Top underclassmen:

Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State, 6’3, 245lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQEkLHo0F4
Donta Hightower, Alabama, 6’4, 258lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyeXZTTcz8E
Shayne Skov, Stanford, 6’3, 243lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieo_ansbJmA
Manti Te’o, Notre Dame, 6’2, 245lbs
Luke Kuechly, BC, 6’2, 235lbs

I have included these prospects in particular because they are versatile and are moved around the defense regularly, particularly Upshaw, Hightower and Lindsey who are used at ILB, OLB and DE.

Last edited by twelve283 on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:18 am; edited 15 times in total

twelve283

Back to top Go down

2012 Draft Prospects - Page 8 Empty Re: 2012 Draft Prospects

Post by twelve283 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:16 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
twelve283 wrote:David DeCastro, Stanford
Scouts left the workout thinking that while DeCastro does not have a future at center in the NFL he can line up at either guard or right tackle. The latter will most definitely boost his draft stock if enough teams in the top 12 of the draft have a similar opinion.
Like he need his stock boosted more. Very Happy
Does this only boost his stock because he can be moved around if the RT goes down, or do you think teams will be considering moving the best guard in the draft to RT full time?
Any time a prospect has the possiblity of playing multiple positions it's going to increase their stock. Tackles are generally seen around the league as more valuable than guards so a team might draft DeCastro with the thinking of trying him at RT and if it doesn't work then you move him inside. It happens fairly often. Plus there is the versatility to move positions when required.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 25 Mar 2012, 9:36 pm

don't know if any of you are planning on buying the draft guides but hopefully someone can help me out, do any of you know if the pfw guides are going on sale over here soon, ive bought the lindys and pfw guides the last 3 years but only lindys is showing on wordofsport and i'd like to buy both at the same time. I managed to get both guides for under £15 last time so i wouldn't pay that alone to get the pfw one like other people

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

niner wrote:don't know if any of you are planning on buying the draft guides but hopefully someone can help me out, do any of you know if the pfw guides are going on sale over here soon, ive bought the lindys and pfw guides the last 3 years but only lindys is showing on wordofsport and i'd like to buy both at the same time. I managed to get both guides for under £15 last time so i wouldn't pay that alone to get the pfw one like other people
I would just fire them an email asking if/when they will have the PFW guide in stock.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Mon 26 Mar 2012, 5:38 pm

you seem to have brought good luck twelve, I did send one ages ago and got no reply but literally just got a message back a few mins after you posted saying they will hopefully get them in stock this week

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

Jeffery ran officially in the mid 4.4's to low 4.5's range, he was hand timed in the 4.3's by some. He also looks much more toned, he looked out of shape last season and is down from 230 to about 213 according to reports

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 30 Mar 2012, 10:30 pm

Strong workout likely vaults QB Osweiler into first round
Representatives from 23 teams were on hand to watch QB prospect Brock Osweiler work out at Arizona State on Friday, including many of the people who observed QB Ryan Tannehill‘s workout at Texas A&M on Thursday. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, Browns QB coach Mark Whipple and representatives from the Miami Dolphins were among those in attendance. Osweiler opted not to work out at Arizona State’s pro day earlier in the month.

Osweiler weighed in at 238 pounds on Friday; his height was not measured, but at the NFL Scouting Combine he measured 6-foot-6 7/8. He threw and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.98 and 4.97 seconds indoors on field turf, but did not do any other drills.

The scripted throwing session was run by Noel Mazzone, who recently left the Arizona State coaching staff to become an assistant at UCLA. Osweiler threw 72 passes, with seven hitting the ground. The seven misses were not, however, an indicator of wildness; his accuracy was very good. He presented himself very well, which is important for a quarterback, and interacted well with his receivers. Despite his height, he is very flexible and has a solid throwing platform. Mazzone has worked with him to correct a tendency to drop his elbow, which Osweiler avoided doing on Friday.

Based on Friday’s workout, I think Osweiler vaulted himself into the first round on draft day. He will likely work out for a number of teams; there is a lot of excitement with him. His showing Friday was somewhat surprising; I think he exceeded the expectations of everybody in attendance. Osweiler was an outstanding high-school athlete who has a lot of upside.

Must have been a good workout to have put him into the first round!

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm

They seem to be bundling all of these QBs into the first round bracket after their workout.

There are two obvious ones in Luck and RGIII
Tannehill is a first rounder because people are desperate for QBs.

Otherwise Weeden, Cousins, Osweiller, Foles etc are just not first rounders

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 01 Apr 2012, 3:32 pm

On Tannehill I don't think he's a first rounder because if I take a quarterback in the first I want him to be able to step in and start straight away unless I have a star willing to teach him for a year. Problem is not knowing what the other teams are going to do and being in need of a quarterback someone will reach and grab Tannehill, people are high on his potential but don't think many see him starting week 1.

I thought most people had been saying Weeden would be a 1st round pick if he were a few years younger, he has the ability to step in and start straight away but you'll miss a few years of your franchise quarterback due to his age.

In other news apparently Dontari Poe is dropping down many draft boards with people getting over his combine numbers and looking at his game tape.
“He’ll be overdrafted,” one personnel man said. “He did all of that at the Combine, so some team will take him way higher than he should go. I mean watch him play, just watch. He didn’t do anything. And he wasn’t playing at a very high level, either. All I know is he had one sack last year and it came against Austin Peay. You probably didn’t even know Austin Peay had a football team.”
http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2012/04/poe_might_not_be_as_good_as_sc.html

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:16 pm

morris claiborne got 4/50 in the wonderlic. How the hell do these guys get through college? The wonderlic isnn't too bad, me and some others in my school did it a few years ago and we all scored between 20-30 without ever having seen the test before, there is also a sampler on walterfootball that shows how easy some questions are. He is still one of my favourite prospects though

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:58 pm

niner wrote:morris claiborne got 4/50 in the wonderlic. How the hell do these guys get through college? The wonderlic isnn't too bad, me and some others in my school did it a few years ago and we all scored between 20-30 without ever having seen the test before, there is also a sampler on walterfootball that shows how easy some questions are. He is still one of my favourite prospects though

Reports have said that he's dyslexic, so that makes it somewhat understandable

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:16 pm

Derbyblue wrote: http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2012/04/poe_might_not_be_as_good_as_sc.html
Some interesting quotes in that article.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm

I guess but it seems the players do not take it seriously at all, im not just limiting this to claiborne, I just wonder how so many players can do so badly on a test which is supposed to be quite basic but still graduate from college, i think it shows that the whole education before sports thing is a lie, not that i thought it was the truth

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:14 am

The Pats will get some decent CB in the draft this year, it's a deep CB class, and with the picks they have they can get at least 3 strong CB, of which 1 could easiluy convert to Safety. I know Belechick likes to wheel n deal so you could end up with 3 2nd rounders as well as one first rounder say D-Lineman or pass rusher. With 3 2nd rounders you could take Harrison Smith Safety Notre Dame, CB Josh Robinson from Central Florida who had the fastest 40 at the combine, and you could still pick up a Alfonso Dennard of Nebraska or maybe a Janoris Jenkins a 1st round talent but had to change schools, with personal issues which I am sure BB will get the best out of.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:53 am

I can see Shea McCellin being a Belechick right kinda guy, he is 6.3 258 and can play both OLB and ILB he has a huge motor and goes 100% every play type of player you would love have in your team.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

Leedscowboys wrote:The Pats will get some decent CB in the draft this year, it's a deep CB class, and with the picks they have they can get at least 3 strong CB, of which 1 could easiluy convert to Safety. I know Belechick likes to wheel n deal so you could end up with 3 2nd rounders as well as one first rounder say D-Lineman or pass rusher. With 3 2nd rounders you could take Harrison Smith Safety Notre Dame, CB Josh Robinson from Central Florida who had the fastest 40 at the combine, and you could still pick up a Alfonso Dennard of Nebraska or maybe a Janoris Jenkins a 1st round talent but had to change schools, with personal issues which I am sure BB will get the best out of.

There is some decent safeties down the board in the 3rd round I think although names pass me by at this moment!
I think we could do with a pass rusher, cornerback and if Fletcher Cox at DT is there when we pick at 27 we should take him
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

2012 Draft Prospects - Page 8 Empty Being moved

Post by Leedscowboys Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:31 am

Cox will be long gone by #27, and it's not that strong of a Safety class Mark Barron is the best Safety in the 2012 class after that it's a drop off guys like Martin and Smith are good Safeties but have 2/3rd round grades. You could get a very good OLB in the 1st in Dont'a Hightower however if you looking for a quality DT Devon Still ST from Penn State could be on the board
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:00 am

I expect Michael Brockers is a guy who will apeal to BB, we've had him in for a visit at the razor. Fletcher Cox is a player I like but I don't think he would appeal as much.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Khandyman Sat 14 Apr 2012, 3:51 pm

Anyone seen the John Gruden QB camp episodes this year. I saw nothing out of Osweiller that made him even slightly appealing. Gruden didn't seem to luck him very much. Osweiller seemed too busy trying to build himslef on national tv only to be knocked down Gruden.

Khandyman

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 3:08 pm

PFW, Intreguing late round/undrafted RB prospects: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/13/intriguing-rb-prospects

PFW, Developmental QB prospects: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/12/developmental-qb-prospects

Alex Tanney, Monmouth:
Bottom line: A coach's son bred and experienced in the spread game dating back to his sophomore high school season, Tanney is a good-sized, highly decorated Division III star who posted rare career production as a four-year starter. Orchestrated a snappy, efficient spread offense, feasting on marginal competition and displaying athletic ability, a loose arm and short-to-intermediate accuracy. Takes care of the football — had better than 5-1 TD-to-interception ratio for career. Did not compete in a top all-star game, but will get the chance to earn a practice-squad spot and could prove worth developing.
Tanney was actually brought to my attention in 2010, unfortunately he injured his shoulder and was done for the season. He returned to Monmouth this season on a medical redshirt and has received some interest from NFL teams, over 25 have attended various Monmouth games.

I've only seen youtube clips of him to this point. He's also got a trick shot video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxDJb03a0yo

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 5:43 pm

Zach Collaros as a safety... weird 2nd position to project a QB!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 6:23 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:Zach Collaros as a safety... weird 2nd position to project a QB!
He was a two way player in HS, think he played some safety as well as QB. I think the projection was made based on his size and pro day 40 time(4.65). His 40 time is OK (being generous) but his shuttle and 3cone are nothing special. 34 inch vertical. 22 reps of 225.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 18 Apr 2012, 7:29 pm

The 2nd annual Optimum Scouting NFL Draft Guide is put together using extensive scouting knowledge, being at nearly every major All-Star event, researching each prospects background, and evaluating every part of a prospects skills as a football player.

Each report is designed to provide a combination of quick read-ability, brief scouting view, and in-depth in every facet of a prospects evaluation, whatever suits what you'd like. While I strongly encourage reading as much of the report as possible (to give our evaluators some worth for their work), the report is designed in such a way to allow the yourself to use it in whatever way you'd like to when researching these prospects.

The Best Part is, the NFL Draft Guide is FREE this year!

Simply Email me (EricG@OptimumScouting) and wait for your copy via email. Thank you again, and I promise you won't be dissapointed.
http://www.optimumscouting.com/get-the-2012-nfl-draft-guide-by-optimum-scouting-free.html

That may need to be: EricG@optimumscouting.com

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 22 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

Dennard could drop to the 3rd/5th round he has been arrested for 5 days for assaulting someone I think.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 22 Apr 2012, 2:08 pm

I just signed in to ask how people thought that would affect his prospects.

Apparently he was in a fight with a man outside a bar, then the police tried to stop it and he punched one of them in the face.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 22 Apr 2012, 2:23 pm

Well he dropped a fair bit before this and was probably a 2nd but I'd say 3rd minimum. Don't see the Bucs taking him with the new regime. Corner back always seems to produce the craziest players.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:06 am

will there be a chatbox for the draft
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 23 Apr 2012, 2:35 pm

Nolan Nawrocki, PFW, quotes from NFL FO personnel:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/11/insider-upshaw-not-first-round-pick
"(Wisconsin OG Kevin) Zeitler struggles in pass pro a little bit. The program is known for its run blocking. That’s their flavor of the day. He has 31-inch arms and gets out of sorts in pass protection."
Zeitler's arms must have shrunk since the Combine then because they were measured at almost 33 inch.

"Everyone says (South Carolina CB) Stephon Gilmore is rising after his workout. That is what I am hearing on the street. He is a big corner, and everyone is going big now. The value is in the late first. I’ve heard teams talking about him in the top 10."
That's where I value him as well(late first). Lot of talk and rumours recently that Gilmore will go top 16 though, Jacksonville in particular have been linked strongly and we know that Gene Smith has no problem selecting a player he likes earlier than might be expected.

"(South Carolina WR) Alshon Jeffery can't run a lick. Show me the tape where he separates with speed or quickness."

Insider quotes #2:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/17/insider-washington-nose-tackle-underrated
“(USC OLT) Matt Kalil is a good, solid player, but tell me who the next-best left tackle is. Cordy Glenn is a guard for me. (Ohio State’s) Mike Adams is soft and doesn’t train. Riley Reiff has everything you want — he’s just not a very good foot athlete. The guy with left tackle feet is (Oklahoma’s) Donald Stephenson."
That's a good question, who is the next best left tackle in the draft? I feel Jonathan Martin is overrated, I've got him as a 1st round talent because he flashes. Similar kind of situation with Mike Adams although I like him better talent wise than Martin. Both have some risk attatched. Even though many now reportedly see him as a guard I think Riley Reiff could play tackle in the NFL, maybe not on the left side though. It'll be interesting to see if a guy like Stephenson is pushed up in the draft because of his athleticism and upside to potentially play LT.

Insider quotes #3:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/18/insider-branch-lacks-first-round-instincts

Insider quotes #4:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/22/insider-gilmore-grades-as-second-rounder

Bob McGinn of the JS looks at RB + FB prospects, including quotes from FO personnel:http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps23-vn4vq6p-148455325.html

WR + TE:http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps21-vn4vq5o-148344735.html
"He has had production because that offense is predicated on throwing the ball and spreading it."
This is an important point to consider, I've mentioned it before but Blackmon catches so many short passes in that offense.

"Despite his workout numbers he's really not a quick-twitch, dynamic-moving guy. He's a straight-line, build-up player. All these reports about him being an athlete and this and that, they're assuming that because he ran fast. He's really just a red-zone, jump-ball player."
This is interesting regarding Fleener. After looking at his pro day numbers he's probably not quite as athletic as I first thought, it shows up on video as well. In a straight line he's great, like I said he can run seam routes all day long and be very good at it but i'm no longer as convinced he'll be 1st round value.

OL:http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps20-vn4vq5d-148210085.html

QB:url=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps19-vn4vq55-148026515.html]http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps19-vn4vq55-148026515.html[/url]

It's interesting to see the varying opinions of scouts on many of the prospects.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

cherriesfan wrote:will there be a chatbox for the draft
Definately for the first round, not sure for the others.

twelve283 wrote:
"Everyone says (South Carolina CB) Stephon Gilmore is rising after his workout. That is what I am hearing on the street. He is a big corner, and everyone is going big now. The value is in the late first. I’ve heard teams talking about him in the top 10."
That's where I value him as well(late first). Lot of talk and rumours recently that Gilmore will go top 16 though, Jacksonville in particular have been linked strongly and we know that Gene Smith has no problem selecting a player he likes earlier than might be expected.

It's interesting to see the varying opinions of scouts on many of the prospects.
Gilmore is interesting if I can remember correctly he wasn't being talked about being a 1st round prospect in January, but now it seems to be where most people think he goes (I'm going to predict him to the Jags in my mock for the contest). Height is an advantage, he has 2 inches on Claiborne but then his arms are two inches smaller (but he does have a higher vertical) one thing is no cornerback in this draft has the ability to take someone like Calvin Johnson out of the game.

What do you think of Trumaine Johnson?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

Derbyblue wrote:Gilmore is interesting if I can remember correctly he wasn't being talked about being a 1st round prospect in January, but now it seems to be where most people think he goes (I'm going to predict him to the Jags in my mock for the contest). Height is an advantage, he has 2 inches on Claiborne but then his arms are two inches smaller (but he does have a higher vertical) one thing is no cornerback in this draft has the ability to take someone like Calvin Johnson out of the game.

Gilmore had a very good Combine which elevated his stock, his overall game needs work IMO and I see his value as back end of the 1st round. I think I would take a chance on Janoris Jenkins, whose stock is falling, before Gilmore. It looks like Jax really want to trade out of #7 but i'm not sure they'll have many offers, if any. Smith would have no problem selecting Gilmore at #7 i'm sure and I'm thinking of sending him to Jax as well.

Re: Trumaine Johnson, i'm not really on the "Tru" band wagon TBH, plenty of positives such as size, long arms, good ball skills, he will probably have some position versatility(might be a better safety). He didn't run well at the Combine (4.61 ), poor 3 cone, I think it shows on the field as well. Performed well vs lower level of competition. Played mostly zone and off man, rarely asked to get physical at the LOS. Happy to make contact vs. the run but not a consistent wrap up tackler, similar to Gilmore in that respect. He stood out for Montana but is he quick and fast enough to handle a #1 WR in the NFL? If you could get him in the mid rounds with the fall back of trying him at safety if it doesn't work out at CB then you might very well end up with a good player as he does have obvious skills.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:52 pm

twelve283 wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:Gilmore is interesting if I can remember correctly he wasn't being talked about being a 1st round prospect in January, but now it seems to be where most people think he goes (I'm going to predict him to the Jags in my mock for the contest). Height is an advantage, he has 2 inches on Claiborne but then his arms are two inches smaller (but he does have a higher vertical) one thing is no cornerback in this draft has the ability to take someone like Calvin Johnson out of the game.

Gilmore had a very good Combine which elevated his stock, his overall game needs work IMO and I see his value as back end of the 1st round. I think I would take a chance on Janoris Jenkins, whose stock is falling, before Gilmore. It looks like Jax really want to trade out of #7 but i'm not sure they'll have many offers, if any. Smith would have no problem selecting Gilmore at #7 i'm sure and I'm thinking of sending him to Jax as well.

Re: Trumaine Johnson, i'm not really on the "Tru" band wagon TBH, plenty of positives such as size, long arms, good ball skills, he will probably have some position versatility(might be a better safety). He didn't run well at the Combine (4.61 ), poor 3 cone, I think it shows on the field as well. Performed well vs lower level of competition. Played mostly zone and off man, rarely asked to get physical at the LOS. Happy to make contact vs. the run but not a consistent wrap up tackler, similar to Gilmore in that respect. He stood out for Montana but is he quick and fast enough to handle a #1 WR in the NFL? If you could get him in the mid rounds with the fall back of trying him at safety if it doesn't work out at CB then you might very well end up with a good player as he does have obvious skills.
I agree don't see where the demand for Jacksonville's pick would come from maybe someone wanting to beat Miami to Tannehill or Panthers to Cox, there are rumours with people predicting Kalil to fall but I'm not sure if he can make it to #7 but they could get some offers for him. I mentioned Johnson because if Jacksonville don't take Gilmore in the 1st I thought of him being someone they could be looking to take at the start of the 3rd round, I haven't seen anything of him so can't judge him myself but most seem to be saying he'll be taken on the second day. Plus Jacksonville seem to love smaller school players having only taken 6 of 20 players from Bowl Championship Series automatic qualifier conferences in the last three drafts.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:05 pm

Twelve, do you think that Claiborne is as good as all the scouts say he is?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Twelve, do you think that Claiborne is as good as all the scouts say he is?
My top 3 cornerbacks are;
Morris Claiborne
Dre Kirkpatrick
Janoris Jenkins
On talent alone, ignoring everything else, then based off his junior year I would probably put Jenkins right there with Claiborne.
Claiborne is very smooth, good cover skills, shaddows the receiver and also gets his head around to make plays. Honestly thought he would test better than he did at the Combine, ran a better 40 time (4.43) at his pro day. He's not the most physical either but he will wrap up and drag the ball carrier down. Reportedly scored 4 on the Wonderlic test, coaches indicated he's a visual learner and is "football smart". I really do think the Vikings might select him at #3, that would not surprise me.

PFW's latest Insider quotes:http://cache.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/23/insider-hightower-has-special-talentHere's something interesting ,
"(Montana’s) Trumaine Johnson might be better than (Morris) Claiborne — and I really like Claiborne’s cover talent. If (Johnson) had run (a 40-time of) 4.51 instead of the 4.6s that he ran at the Combine, he would go in the first (round). He’s 6-1, 210 and he’s really a good athlete. He has 10-20 (range) talent. He’s just a (jerk). He has entitlement issues. He’s not a great worker. … He’s inching up. He might go in the back of the first (round)."

Bob McGinn looks at DL prospects:http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps24-vn4vq70-148607175.html

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

The tampa 2 system that the Vikings use seems to be the reason most people think they won't take a corner that high, i still think kalil should be the pick but i don't buy that because of a system a corner can't go top 5. their defense may not take advantage of his ballhawking ability but a good corner can limit a receiver regardless of the system he plays in, its not as if the tampa 2 works for the vikings anyway, they had a record for going without an interception last year. Like twelve said, Jenkins is probably as talented so regardless of off-field issues, im sure the vikings would have to consider him with their 2nd rounder if he falls, he is a top ten talent if he didn't make mistakes, but then again, to have cook and jenkins would keep their coaching staff on edge

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Twelve, do you think that Claiborne is as good as all the scouts say he is?

He will be a very good corner but not a shut down one, in my view. He has never faced a top receiver in college (neither had guys like Revis though) and he wasn't incredibly dominating. Jenkins probably has more talent but is a nutjob. Claiborne is probably the best CB in the draft but not a slam dunk success. Here would be an option I would like to see the Bucs take.

If you think our linebackers and corners are bad, give this a go.

1, Luke Kuechly (trade back get a 2nd and 4th and maybe something next year)
2a. Doug Martin/David Wilson - Both a type of running back we could use
2b. Lavonte David - Derrick Brooks type of player, great tackler bit undersized
3. Brandon Boykin- Talented Cornerback from a Gerogia could be useful.
4. DeMario Davis- Another talented linebacker, very solid, between him and David we could probably get rid of Quincy.
5.DeQuan Menzie Cornerback Miami I think
6. Bobby Rainey
7. Joe Martinek- A full back who runs a 4.43! Ex-Rutgers too so possible.

If Dennard drops to the second or third he will be considered.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

Thomond wrote:

No doubt he'll be there in the 2nd IMO, and probably later than that.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

Yeah, it was a bit conservative, a 2nd round or a late first if you reach in terms of talent, probably 3rd because he is an idiot.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

Thomond wrote:1, Luke Kuechly (trade back get a 2nd and 4th and maybe something next year)
2a. Doug Martin/David Wilson - Both a type of running back we could use
2b. Lavonte David - Derrick Brooks type of player, great tackler bit undersized
3. Brandon Boykin- Talented Cornerback from a Gerogia could be useful.
4. DeMario Davis- Another talented linebacker, very solid, between him and David we could probably get rid of Quincy.
5.DeQuan Menzie Cornerback Miami I think
6. Bobby Rainey
7. Joe Martinek- A full back who runs a 4.43! Ex-Rutgers too so possible.

I'm not sure where the demand for a trade with the Bucs at 5 will come from. Menzie is from Alabama, and obviously it all depends on each coach but Mayock and some others think he'll be better off at Safety, I don't know if Tampa need help there?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:39 pm

They released Tanard Jackson and Sean Jones, both were poor so safety help is needed. If Nick Collins is healthy the Bucs should make a move for him.

Teams are reportedly interested in jumping up to get Fletcher Cox according to LaCanfora so maybe, if Kalil drops then 5 could be trade bait. I would be alright with taking Kuechly at 5 even without a trade down. It would probably be hard to shift 5 and my thing is a bit of an unlikely scenario but would be a very good draft.

Also Jayron Hosley from Virginia Tech failed a Combine Drug test as has Vontaze Burfict. According to Fox Sports. Hosley would be a decent mid to late round guy.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:57 pm

Oh Vontaze... what will you do next to ruin your future...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82895e07/article/vontaze-burfict-jayron-hosley-fail-drug-test-before-nfl-draft?module=HP11_headline_stack

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:19 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:Oh Vontaze... what will you do next to ruin your future...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82895e07/article/vontaze-burfict-jayron-hosley-fail-drug-test-before-nfl-draft?module=HP11_headline_stack
I said on the @606v2AF twitter it's as if he doesn't want to get a career in the NFL, has to be undraftable (to everyone but the Bengals).

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 2:54 pm

bambamwillis wrote: Might be worth making this a sticky if enough people are interested, and just keep adding to it as more players shine.
Kudos to bambam for this suggestion, really enjoyed this thread and discussing draft prospects with everyone. Cheers to all who contributed.

I was hoping to share initial notes on three or four prospects who caught my eye each week of the college season but I just didn't have the time this year to watch games live every week. It took me a while to get through all the recordings which had piled up at one point. Very Happy Hopefully i'll be able to contribute a bit more this season.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 29 Apr 2012, 3:14 pm

twelve283 wrote:
bambamwillis wrote: Might be worth making this a sticky if enough people are interested, and just keep adding to it as more players shine.
Kudos to bambam for this suggestion, really enjoyed this thread and discussing draft prospects with everyone. Cheers to all who contributed.

I was hoping to share initial notes on three or four prospects who caught my eye each week of the college season but I just didn't have the time this year to watch games live every week. It took me a while to get through all the recordings which had piled up at one point. Very Happy Hopefully i'll be able to contribute a bit more this season.
It was a great thread Twelve, I'm sure the next one will be too.

Can't remember how many were on the chat box when I asked but would people be interested in a monthly Q&A (from before the season starts through to January time or maybe until the draft) with one of the draft sites (hopefully would be the same person every month) and do you think we could get enough questions (probably need at least 10) each month?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 29 Apr 2012, 3:59 pm

i'd have plenty of questions, i watch at least 3 college games a week when I can

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:33 pm

I'd probably have a few questions once the college season got going. Otherwise i'd be slightly QB focused as they tend to be the guys I know about first!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

any point in starting up a 2013 prospects thread this early?

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:52 pm

Derbyblue wrote:

Can't remember how many were on the chat box when I asked but would people be interested in a monthly Q&A (from before the season starts through to January time or maybe until the draft) with one of the draft sites (hopefully would be the same person every month) and do you think we could get enough questions (probably need at least 10) each month?
^It sounds like you should be able to get enough questions from people to make it worthwhile. You can always add some generic questions like stock up/down, which prospects are under the radar and player comparisons etc.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

my early predictions are that scheelhause and thomas will go in the 1st round and that micah hyde may go there too

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 30 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

niner wrote:any point in starting up a 2013 prospects thread this early?
I was going to start a new one in maybe a months time with some very early thoughts and players to watch in the new season but if someone wants to start earlier then I don't see a problem with that. I doubt there will be much discussion until the new college season starts though.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Mon 30 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

I suppose you are right, I follow recruiting a lot but I think that nobody will know many incoming players or those to look out for until they actually produce during the season

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:00 pm

I'm glad you guys like the idea, I'll look into it closer towards the start of the season but would you guys be happy with it being with Joe or Eric who did the predraft ones?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next