The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours?

+23
Taylorman
Scrumpy
Feckless Rogue
reallybored
doctor_grey
Portnoy's Complaint
fa0019
Geordie
John Cregan
kiakahaaotearoa
pete (buachaill on eirne)
SecretFly
LondonTiger
thomh
sirtidychris
RuggerRadge2611
GunsGerms
Toadfish
Scarpia
George Carlin
Duty281
RubyGuby
winchester
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours? Empty Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours?

Post by winchester Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 pm

What changes would you make to future Lions tours? any suggestions?

I think that the physical intensity and demands of the game are so tough now that future tours should really just include less fixtures - especially meaningless ones like Combined Country or Barbarians which dont add anything substantial.

I would like to see smallish, elite and exclusive Lions squads tour with three good warm up fixtures and then the three tests. Whats the point of calling up Williams, Barrit, Twelvetrees etc simply to play in a game in order to keep your main test team fit? Just get rid of the fixture. Clearly an player called up to the Lions should have quality already established so the warm up games are really about trying combinations rather than seeing who is good. And behind the scenes the training will be intensive in any case. Additional fixtures are just there to give some player a run out for the sake of it or to keep the test team fit.

Obviously the additional fixtures are viewed as money spinners but they just lead to second rate Lions teams being put out, more bloated squad demands and more injury risk. Id like to see the Lions kept elite and exlusive. 3 warm up games to get the best players from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland blended into a team and then the test matches. No more washout fixtures or pointless second string midweek games.

Any other changes you would make?

winchester

Back to top Go down

Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours? Empty Re: Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours?

Post by RubyGuby Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 pm

A British/Irish management team for me is a must alongside the fact that we should not choose players who qualify on residency.

The "meaningless" games give opposition players a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would not want to lose this sense of "rugbyness" and camarderie that can be enjoyed by such fixtures - I see them as a win win. 8 matches with 3 tests and probably a squad of 40. I'd like to introduce a novel idea of 1 uncapped player from each country being included just to spice things up and give them a taste of what could be theirs in the future thumbsup In fact, now I'm thinking about it I'd like to be tour manager and in charge of the organising - If Ruby did Rugby tours then they'd all be as good as this Ale

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours? Empty Re: Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours?

Post by Duty281 Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:03 pm

No more midweek games, just Saturday games. Have it as:

4 warm-up games
1st Test
Warm-up game
2nd Test
3rd Test

Done and dusted in 8 Saturdays, whilst minimising the risk of injury.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 pm

1. Head coach not to be affiliated in any way to any of the home nations.
2. Not to have the timetable clash with any other major sporting event (competing with State of Origin is really poor).
3. Have more warm up games and be more imaginative about opponents - a Pacific Islands Barbarians match, for example, would really have given us a run-out.
4. Have a rule stating that the test 23 needs to include at least one player from each home nation.
5. Remove Stuart Barnes from any television commentary position.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:16 pm

If there are going to be warm up games then we should have a cast iron guarantee that the home teams do not wrap their internationals in cotton wool so as to keep them away from the Lions. To enforce this, any player who does not turn out for his club is barred from the tests.  If the SH countries do not agree to this then we select a small party to play 3 tests. This would make Lions tours a virtual nonsense unfortunately. But then I think what the SH countries are doing is having that affect. All that happens in the warm up games is that we get a false picture of who are the players in form and we suffer injuries. There is a spirit to Lions tours that is being ignored by SH as a ploy to winning the test series.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 pm

I’ve always been a big fan of the lions concept but this year the games have just left me feeling a bit flat to be honest.  Can’t put my finger on exactly what it was but in the test on Sat for some reason I just didn’t care who won or lost.  Probably just my hangover but we’ll see if things change next week.

For me one of the big disappointments of this tour has been the sides put out at various times.  Certain players seem worthy of keeping wrapped in cotton wool while others are flogged to death or played hopelessly out of position.  Clearly Stuart Hogg has the most to be miffed about with this regard.  Just didn’t seem like he had the chance of a ‘fair’ fight for the 15 jersey.

In terms of what changes I’d make I think I’d go for a smaller party and a shorter tour.  Squad of 33 or so focused purely on developing that first 23.  Bit longer training together in the UK with one game against some sort of invitational or international side.  One game in country against a strong ‘A’ side, before the 3 test series.  I think we’ve really struggled this time to get a full game for our strongest side before the tests start and I feel that what we lose by having less fixtures/time together we’ll gain in having a more cohesive unit.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:21 pm

I think you should have played or lived for at least a few years in the NH. No more Flutey or Maitlands please.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 pm

A completely neutral coach is a must. Gatland hasn't been "biased" at least I don't think he has anyway and in his mind he has tried to pick the best guys.

The problem lies with the 50-50 calls. AWJ vs Gray for the 1st test is a great example. POC and Gray were fantastic together against the Baa Baa's and Gray played well all tour, wheras AWJ had a stormer in the game against the 'Tahs and all of Gray's excellent performances in the run up to that game were forgotten.

Finally every player selected should have their fitness evaluated by the Lions Dr. Had Dr Robson looked at Kearney and Jenkins, neither would have toured and those brought in to replace them would have had a better chance to play in the tests.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Not much, maybe take 3 flyhalfs instead of 2, otherwise the scheduling, attritional nature etc is all part of the lions, you get hammered from every angle, all the club teams going, the media, the refs, the citing commissioners, and then you have to take on three tests....awesome

Oh and i'd also change the constant whinging from fans, i wasn't a blogger 4 years ago so didn't know what it was like then but this year has been ridiculous. Everyone is soo bloody negative, some of the mid week teams have always been weak, coaches will always pick players we don't like, the scheduling and injuries sustained are always full on, its the lions, its utterly awesome, get behind them or go away, its the only thing ruining it for me.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm

I dont think the rigours of the modern game make more friendlies feasible. I think they should be looking at less, not more. These are pro athletes coming off tough seasons and the demands of playing up all through the Summer on top will take its toll and lead to more injuries. I think less fixtures from an elite Lions instead of more fixtures incorporating bloated squads or second string teams is better. The romanticism of of fixtures like Combined Country probably died witht he amateur era. Now its just a wash out that gives false basis for judging players. I just want to see an elite touring side playing competitve fixtures and then the Tests.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:51 pm

I only want to see games against the best teams in a few venues, I dont want the lions touring all over the shop, meeting different communites playing against guys that will never get the chance otherwise, I want tickets to be exclusive and expensive i dont want any matches that local familys can afford to go to watch there carpenter son play against the lions. Its about money, its about winning and that is all, the old amateur ethos is gone.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Sounds like you want the Barbarians to tour instead of the Lions

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:56 pm

I would exchange one of the warm up games for a test match against Samoa, Tonga or Fiji. Gives a proper test in the build up to the series, allows more players the chance at a lIons cap without devaluing the main series, and gives those countries a chance to raise a decent bit of needed revenue from the match

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 pm

sirtidychris wrote:I want tickets to be exclusive and expensive i dont want any matches that local familys can afford to go to watch there carpenter son play against the lions. Its about money, its about winning and that is all.

I want to go on the 2017 tour to NZ as a tour follower. I want to visit a plethora of diverse rugby communities through that country. I want to be able to do that without having to win tomorrows £157m Lottery Jackpot. I want to ssee a match with Taranaki, or Hawkes Bay. I want the Lions to represent what can be good about rugby.

I guess we have rather different ambitions for the Lions.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:11 pm

I think sirtidychris is being ironic...........

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Changes you would make for Future Lions Tours?

I would have them play a series against what I would call "The Legion".

"The Legion" would be a Lions style team, made up of the best players from Italy, France and Argentina. 

The location of who would be the "home side" would change each time of playing. So let's say the Lions faced the Legion in the UK and Ireland (3 tests, 3 of Murrayfield, Aviva, Millenium, Twickenham) in 2017 (I know NZ are scheduled - this is hypothetical).

Then in 16 years time (it would be 16 instead of 12 with an added team) the Lions would travel to Rome, Paris and then Buenos Aires.

Imagine this team going against the Lions:

1. Domingo
2. Ghiraldini
3. Figallo
4. Bortalami
5. Maestri
6. Fernandez Lobbe
7. Dusatoir
8. Parise
9. Parra
10. Contempomi
11. Imhoff
12. Fofanna
13. Rougerie
14. Venditti
15. Masi

And that is leaving out players like Zanni, Picamoles, Mas, Castrogiovani, Hernandez, Camacho, Clerc, Cabello, Canale.

There could be some serious battles between these sets of teams too.

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Would "the Legion" ever be much more than a glorified Barbarians side though?

I dont think those countries really have the same kind of connection or historical basis and brand to take off as a proper touring side.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:41 pm

I don't think so, it wouldn't be seen as a BaaBaa's side. I think it could be quite competetive and while the teams may not have the same connection, some of them do play with each other for instance their are a number of Italians playing in France and a number of Argies too.

I think the fact that Italy have beaten France in the 6Nations twice relatively recently that there is a bit more spice in their fixtures than there ever has been. Add in some of the World Cup games between Argentina and France....wow

Imagine The Legion playing teams like 

Leinster, Munster, Leicester, Northampton, Saracens, Glasgow, Ospreys, Scarlets.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:47 pm

winchester wrote:Would "the Legion" ever be much more than a glorified Barbarians side though?

I dont think those countries really have the same kind of connection or historical basis and brand to take off as a proper touring side.

Dont like the idea of one scratch side playing another. Too messy. The Lions works because SA, NZ and to a lesser extent Australia are usually the best teams in the world and the Lions need to raise their game. Lions v a Fra, Ita, Arg scratch team would be about as exciting as the Lions v the Barbarians in hong Kong.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
winchester wrote:Would "the Legion" ever be much more than a glorified Barbarians side though?

Dont like the idea of one scratch side playing another. Too messy. The Lions works because SA, NZ and to a lesser extent Australia are usually the best teams in the world and the Lions need to raise their game. Lions v a Fra, Ita, Arg scratch team would be about as exciting as the Lions v the Barbarians in hong Kong.

Fair point, what about the Legion playing Ireland or England or Wales or Scotland?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:54 pm

I would change the first test result next Tour. Far better to be one nil up than one nil down. Whistle

Smaller squad and fewer games against better opposition. A Lions experience I'd argue is deep down only for the test squad. Someone like Hogg isn't going to go away with rosy thoughts about the whole experience.

A team like Samoa and NZ Maori could provide enough warm up for the Lions test team before the series. Scrap the mid week games.

Also the coach cannot be picked from a 6n side. Or they must coach their respective sides and not allow Lions duties to take precedence. With video there's no reason to oblige a coach to take off so much time.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Playing Samoa before any Test series would be a disaster thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Fair point, what about the Legion playing Ireland or England or Wales or Scotland?
I dont know maybe if it started now in 30 years people may look at it as we now view the Lions as a great tradition and the pinicale of a B&I players career. Very hard to know if it would work though. Ireland v BaBas games tend to be very uninteresting. In practice how would you get Italian, French and Argentinian player to take it seriously without the benefit of years of history and tradition to get the juices flowing?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm

2 warm up games followed by 3 Tests...............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:59 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Playing Samoa before any Test series would be a disaster thumbsup

For you maybe...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:11 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
I dont know maybe if it started now in 30 years people may look at it as we now view the Lions as a great tradition and the pinicale of a B&I players career. Very hard to know if it would work though. Ireland v BaBas games tend to be very uninteresting. In practice how would you get Italian, French and Argentinian player to take it seriously without the benefit of years of history and tradition to get the juices flowing?

Well history and tradition is being created currently: Italy beating France in this year 6N and France being beaten in the 2007 World Cup Opener (in France) and then in the 3rd place play off (in France) I'd consider that some big history myself. Italy are also in the World Cup group with France for 2015.

If you got the Legion in to camp early and started playing and coaching I think it could be class. I don't think it would be like a BaaBaa's game at all as the Legion would have 7 or so warm up games.

Would Ireland beat the team below? Not sure. England? Wales? Scotland? I'd argue that the Legion could beat any of these teams in a 3 test series. I'd say they have a better chance than the Lions do over the All Blacks.

1. Domingo/Mas
2. Ghiraldini/Swarztzi
3. Figallo/Castro
4. Bortalami/Cabello
5. Maestri
6. Fernandez Lobbe/Zanni
7. Dusatoir
8. Parise/Picamoles
9. Parra
10. Contempomi/Hernandez
11. Imhoff/Camacho
12. Fofanna
13. Rougerie/Canale
14. Venditti/Clerc
15. Masi

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Well history and tradition is being created currently: Italy beating France in this year 6N and France being beaten in the 2007 World Cup Opener (in France) and then in the 3rd place play off (in France) I'd consider that some big history myself. Italy are also in the World Cup group with France for 2015.

If you got the Legion in to camp early and started playing and coaching I think it could be class. I don't think it would be like a BaaBaa's game at all as the Legion would have 7 or so warm up games.

Would Ireland beat the team below? Not sure. England? Wales? Scotland? I'd argue that the Legion could beat any of these teams in a 3 test series. I'd say they have a better chance than the Lions do over the All Blacks.

1. Domingo/Mas
2. Ghiraldini/Swarztzi
3. Figallo/Castro
4. Bortalami/Cabello
5. Maestri
6. Fernandez Lobbe/Zanni
7. Dusatoir
8. Parise/Picamoles
9. Parra
10. Contempomi/Hernandez
11. Imhoff/Camacho
12. Fofanna
13. Rougerie/Canale
14. Venditti/Clerc
15. Masi

I think Ireland would have a better chance of beating them than France.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

1. Domingo/Mas
2. Ghiraldini/Swarztzi
3. Figallo/Castro
4. Bortalami/Cabello
5. Maestri
6. Fernandez Lobbe/Zanni
7. Dusatoir
8. Parise/Picamoles
9. Parra
10. Contempomi/Hernandez
11. Imhoff/Camacho
12. Fofanna
13. Rougerie/Canale
14. Venditti/Clerc
15. Masi

Haha well played clap outside of mentality though and us Irish putting a mental/psychological curse on ourselves: I'd say that tea should beat Ireland albeit Ireland have experience playing together and certain units are also playing week in week out in the Pro12. However Fofana/Rougerie is a good unit. You could easily have an all French front row starting and an all Argentinian front row on the bench.

Also, look at the backrow options!! Even the Lions can't boast at having backrow options of that quality!

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

1. Domingo/Mas
2. Ghiraldini/Swarztzi
3. Figallo/Castro
4. Bortalami/Cabello
5. Maestri
6. Fernandez Lobbe/Zanni
7. Dusatoir
8. Parise/Picamoles
9. Parra
10. Contempomi/Hernandez
11. Imhoff/Camacho
12. Fofanna
13. Rougerie/Canale
14. Venditti/Clerc
15. Masi

I think 3 - 0 in June series suggests you both have the same chance. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:34 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

1. Domingo/Mas
2. Ghiraldini/Swarztzi
3. Figallo/Castro
4. Bortalami/Cabello
5. Maestri
6. Fernandez Lobbe/Zanni
7. Dusatoir
8. Parise/Picamoles
9. Parra
10. Contempomi/Hernandez
11. Imhoff/Camacho
12. Fofanna
13. Rougerie/Canale
14. Venditti/Clerc
15. Masi

I think 3 - 0 in June series suggests you both have the same chance. Very Happy

It was a weird series for France, it's been a weird year for France. Even their tactics and structures for the third test had changed drastically from the first test which had changed drastically from the 6N.

Kia, would you be more worried of The Legion team above coming up against your team or the Lions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Pick more Scots to stop the insesant grumbling sound coming from North of the border....Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Pete the 3rd test and 8 changes saw France put in their most convincing display. The sad thing for them is that it was a very convincing defensive display. Their attack had the flyhalf make breaks instead of their centres but overall it was so negative and predictable. They simply kicked away too much possession.

I'm nervous about any team facing NZ. A lower ranked team can always surprise us and the perfect record against Italy, Scotland, Argentina, Ireland etc has been tested to its limits. You never want to see that record broken. A team that has beaten us and you're always doubtful they can beat you again.

That's an impressive Legion team. If I had to choose I'd rather face them though because I'm not so sure combining those teams into a common team is way more of an ask than the British and Irish Lions and their history. That said, I'd have been happy with the backrow that faced Australia on Saturday. Think you can do better than that.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:48 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Pete the 3rd test and 8 changes saw France put in their most convincing display. The sad thing for them is that it was a very convincing defensive display. Their attack had the flyhalf make breaks instead of their centres but overall it was so negative and predictable. They simply kicked away too much possession.

I'm nervous about any team facing NZ. A lower ranked team can always surprise us and the perfect record against Italy, Scotland, Argentina, Ireland etc has been tested to its limits. You never want to see that record broken. A team that has beaten us and you're always doubtful they can beat you again.

That's an impressive Legion team. If I had to choose I'd rather face them though because I'm not so sure combining those teams into a common team is way more of an ask than the British and Irish Lions and their history. That said, I'd have been happy with the backrow that faced Australia on Saturday. Think you can do better than that.

At least Ireland pushed NZ close.

Please dont reference to 60-0 game in your response.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm

No need to mate! Very Happy

I watched that second game with an Irish friend. I felt sorry for him but admired his sense of fair play. If he'd been watching it with Irish mates, the conversation would've been a hell of a lot different. That's a classic example of being taken to the edge in terms of preserving the clean sheet. I honestly thought we were up the poopy creek without a paddle in the last quarter of that match.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Name a squad straight after the 6N of 55 players or so. Get them training together and whittle them down to a core squad of 40 before we leave.

Have 2 warm up matches in the UK, perhaps even amongst themselves... a probables vs. a possibles and then an Italy/Argentina match.

The next tour will be as hard as ever. NZ is always a tough place to tour and these things never change. Had we gone to NZ with this side we would have in all probability lost 3 zip.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 pm

It would be a great improvement if England ceded from the Lions. Celtic Lions has a certain ring to it and England could make use of a wasted summer.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:33 pm

I agree that the coach shouldnt be a coach of the home nations sides. I dont know how people expect a Lions team to go on tour in this day an age and go about hammering local sides to give the local amateurs a big day out and then still be competitive enough to win a series? Given how the game has gone on, do people really think matches against Combined Country and the like are something big to look forward to and worthwhile experiences? The Lions need to remain capable winning or at least being competitive in test series to survive as a brand. Its difficult enough to go to the SH and win a test without accommodating a series of exhibitions.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Changes I woud make?
I would invite the Scots.  They might like to play Rugby with us. 
I would bring cheerleaders.  Not your run-of-the-mill cheerleaders, but real hardcore hotties.  Distract the opposition.........
I would get rid of that silly fake collar on the 2013 Lions jersey.
I would permanently and forever have Guscott and Gibbs in the centres. 
I would win..........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:46 pm

winchester wrote:I agree that the coach shouldnt be a coach of the home nations sides. I dont know how people expect a Lions team to go on tour in this day an age and go about hammering local sides to give the local amateurs a big day out and then still be competitive enough to win a series? Given how the game has gone on, do people really think matches against Combined Country and the like are something big to look forward to and worthwhile experiences? The Lions need to remain capable winning or at least being competitive in test series to survive as a brand. Its difficult enough to go to the SH and win a test without accommodating a series of exhibitions.

Australia is not a good bench mark as they have so few teams anyway.

A composite team like the lions needs as much preparation as it can get to try and gel, so as many games as possible. Ideally these are against decent opposition - but then Kiwi NPC sides would have smashed the Force team that Lions met.

If the Lions only play a couple of warm-ups and then the tests the whole concept is gone.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 pm

The Celtic teams play each other all year - week in week out. A Celtic Lions is way more practicable than this B&I scratch side.

Plus of course the host nations routinely avoid showing any kind of hand.

More than ever you can see the sham that the Lions has become.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
winchester wrote:I agree that the coach shouldnt be a coach of the home nations sides. I dont know how people expect a Lions team to go on tour in this day an age and go about hammering local sides to give the local amateurs a big day out and then still be competitive enough to win a series? Given how the game has gone on, do people really think matches against Combined Country and the like are something big to look forward to and worthwhile experiences? The Lions need to remain capable winning or at least being competitive in test series to survive as a brand. Its difficult enough to go to the SH and win a test without accommodating a series of exhibitions.

Australia is not a good bench mark as they have so few teams anyway.

A composite team like the lions needs as much preparation as it can get to try and gel, so as many games as possible. Ideally these are against decent opposition - but then Kiwi NPC sides would have smashed the Force team that Lions met.

If the Lions only play a couple of warm-ups and then the tests the whole concept is gone.

This series shows that the physical demands of having too many competitve games in simply too much for a limited group of players. Unless you go over with monster squads which is self defeating and devaluing the jersey then in the pro era a Lions team wont be able to tour and play large numbers of high intensity warm up fixtures without serious burnout and injuries.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Then the Lions may cease to exist. Tour lengths cannot be extended as neither host unions nor touring nations woudl be willing, and playing only on Saturdays would not give enough games.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 pm

I think as long as the Lions remain competitve they will exist. What would kill them off would be embarrasing test defeats. Thats why I dont really follow the argument that they should be playing numerous fixtures against amatuer sides just to give them a big day out. It was fine in the amateur era but its not feasible now and if the squad is too burnt out and uncompetitve in test matches then the enthusiams for future Lions tour will wane. I actually felt coming into this series that if the Lions didnt win it then the future of them may start to become precarious. If they lose this series against a weak, injury ravaged and not altogether cohesive Australia side then when will they ever get a win again? Hard to see it in NZ in 4 years time and then it would over 20 years for a series win. There needs to be a balance between getting a streamlined elite Lions side ready for the Tests and managing squad burnout and injury. The Lions may have been better off this tour ditching the CC and Baa Baaas games and just preparing against Reds, Rebles and Waratahs before entering the Three Tests.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Neutral head coach.

Slightly bigger squad.

Scrap 2nd break weekend during 6 Nations.

Squad announced straight after 6 Nations.  Try get acces to players before the end of the season, even if only for a few days here and there.  Get the admin guff out the way, let the medical team check everyone over and start explaining the playing philosophy.

Bring AP & Rabo Finals a week forward. 

No full-squad training in the UK, get to New Zealand as soon as possible so they've got a clear run up to the first match.

Play the 5 Super XV franchises, Maori and Test Series.  (Blues, Chiefs, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Highlanders, 1st Test, Maori, 2nd Test, 3rd Test).

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Bring Italy and France into the fold and make them the European Lions.
Tour South America with three tests against the Puma's.
Tour the Pacific. Play against each of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Japan.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

What is a Neutral Head coach?

Doesn't matter how 'neutral' a head coach is, the fans of respective nations never will be.

And when Nations go looking for Head Coaches of their own, tell me, by their differing reactions to being asked, just how Neutral all these external coaches are?

They look at rugby.  They see Internationals.  They form opinions of one Nation over another.  They'll have preferences for players from one Nation over those from another.  And when the picking commences, they'll be accused of bias.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Bring Italy and France into the fold and make them the European Lions.

Lol.... laughing
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 am

I reckon as its only once every four years the series should be versus a composite SH side of the 3 (or 4) main sides who take turn at hosting it. Everyone stops still when the series is on and plays 'side' matches anyway.

Plus it takes away the advantage I believe exists in facing the unity of the one country. The Lions are probably around 20% better than the best of the 4 sides, when you'd think they'd be 40 to 60% better, and probably a more dominant force.

Well...that ruins that theory... if a combined SH side is effectively 20% better than the AB's or any of the others...which it just may well be...so I'll forget that one

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:27 am

Wouldn't get rid of the midweek games. Tickets to the tests will be too expensive so am hoping to go to the Auckland V Lions (or the Lions taking on Nth Harbour or Counties if they're too scared of Auckland) when they tour here next time.

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by kidwelly kid Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 am

Put the matches back on terrrestrial TV with some decent commentators.

kidwelly kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next