The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brit Wildcards (A wildcard redo)

Go down

Brit Wildcards (A wildcard redo) Empty Brit Wildcards (A wildcard redo)

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

Ok i just did a post on Dan evans, but i forgot he played qualies. Soo instead ill replace the article with a general wc article. Pretty easy one, do you think too many wildcards are given to brit players at Wimbledon? Looking at the records, Very few get past the 1st round, would it be best to foerce them to most try to qualify? Maybe have a system similar to the US/French where they "swap wildcards"?

Back to top Go down

Brit Wildcards (A wildcard redo) Empty Re: Brit Wildcards (A wildcard redo)

Post by djlovesyou Tue 25 Jun 2013, 7:04 pm

falzy21 wrote:Ok i just did a post on Dan evans, but i forgot he played qualies. Soo instead ill replace the article with a general wc article. Pretty easy one, do you think too many wildcards are given to brit players at Wimbledon? Looking at the records, Very few get past the 1st round, would it be best to foerce them to most try to qualify? Maybe have a system similar to the US/French where they "swap wildcards"?

Only two British men got wildcards.

If this is excessive to you (given nobody really had a problem with Edmund getting one, and Ward fits all the criteria) I'm not sure what you think they should do?

Wimbledon is only event which sets rules to actively exclude home players from getting wildcards, all the others (along with their little swap system) give the rest out to home players no matter the ranking or circumstances.

Also, interestingly, the home players getting wildcards at all the other events seem to rarely get past the first round too. It's hardly a shock given to get a wildcard, the players would have to be outside the top 110 or so and the players they draw could be anything, so a lot of them are going to draw players they have no hope of beating. (People seem to hold Boggo's defeats at Wimbledon to Federer, Nadal and Berdych as being just as shameful as his defeats to Escude and Guccione.)

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down