The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations George North

+20
Scarpia
rainbow-warrior
RubyGuby
GavinDragon
irfon17
munkian
jimmyinthewell68
fa0019
Luckless Pedestrian
pbuk0
Hood83
Duty281
doctor_grey
beshocked
flyhalffactory
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ScarletSpiderman
Breadvan
Geordie
GloriousEmpire
24 posters

Go down

Congratulations George North Empty Congratulations George North

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:01 am

A fine upstanding sporting gesture, to apologise for his unsporting gesture.

A top class gentleman, and good luck to him.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Congratulations George North Empty Re: Congratulations George North

Post by Geordie Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:11 am

Ok ill probably get slated for this but....

Why apologise?

He's not the type that does that as a norm and I dont condone constant idiotic behaviour...but come on its rugby its passionate, physical - brutal infact, in the heat of a Lions v Australia game and this is a big rivalry...its going to happen.

Are we making rugby so apologetic that next they be apologising for heavy tackles....you wouldnt get Willie John and Broon fae Troon apologising....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:25 am

Bored already ghost? No need to apologise for a nothing gesture. Originally, I thought he was pointing to the posts to where he was going to put the ball down. Seems a big furore, on here, over nowt. You'd swore North had ran off the pitch, came back on riding a segway flying a banner with 'Everybody sucks but me' on it....
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:25 am

+1, I don't understand the apologising thing. It was a heat of the moment thing. Does this mean we can expect the bulk of the Australian team to apologise for high fiving each other and looking all chuffed when they won the last minute pen? Surely it is unsportsman like, and ungentlemanly to celebrate winning the game before you have?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

I like the apology. Shows that he felt the gesture was unsportsmanlike and non-rugby. Shows that he feels it is not the real him, so much so that he felt the need to go public. A good role model.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:33 am

The gesture was Muppet, I believe, so glad to see him apologise. Clearly not serial behaviour on his part either

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:35 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:The gesture was Muppet, I believe, so glad to see him apologise. Clearly not serial behaviour on his part either

So if he gets fired up again this weekend, hopefully he will, and scores another try, will he be able to stay calm, and turn around and walk back to the halfway line without making any fuss? Because if he doesn't then this apology may actually end up making him look a bit of a tool.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

Do you think, Spidey? I'm not sure there's anything wrong with celebration (my preference is for minor rather than major, but it doesn't really matter), but I don't like to see players rubbing the oppo's nose in it - call me old-fashioned, I you like!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:13 am

SS
He actually mocked an individual player (Genia) albeit not as blatent as some we could mention have done this season but still unsporting. Now generally he could punched the air, screamed out loud, took all the plaudits from his team mates..... but that was the thin end of the wedge. Well done to the young man.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

ASBO - it was probably uncalled for, and not exactly sportsman like granted. I just wonder if it coming out with all of this 'gentlemans sport' stuff is a bit ott. As I said in the other George North is a naughty boy thread, there are a lot of other ungentlemanly things that are done on the pitch that are completely over looked. Mike Phillips heckles the opposition hooker at most line outs 'get it in, get it in, come on throw it' etc, props pat the beaten prop on the head or bum (sexual harrasment??), and the majority of the Australian team celebrated with high fives etc for winning the pen that should have won the game. None of these are sportsman like, and certainly don't seem to match the cream tea and scones nature of the game that George seemed to make out in his apology.

FHF - It all depends on if/how he celebrates if he scores again, if he does anything even questionably disrespectful then this apology will lead for people who are not his biggest fans to have a dig at him, not only for celebrating, but for being a hypocrite too.

I guess the biggest issue I have with the apology is that it doesn't sound like George North talking, to me, it sounds like words that have been put into a lads head by higher ups. If the apology was 'sorry to Genia, it was a bit stupid of me to mock him, and not really in the spirit of the game, but emotions were high' I could have believed it was him.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:42 am

Well done George North. Would be nice if certain people followed your example and apologised for their actions.

George North apologised for a harmless gesture yet there is still no apology for a certain horrific spear tackle on BOD.Whistle

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:54 am

He actually mocked an individual player (Genia) albeit not as blatent as some we could mention have done this season but still unsporting.

The Aussies are the best sledgers in the world. Who knows that Genia hadnt been winding it up, and North just let him know it. North isnt that type of character so something must have made him do it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 28 Jun 2013, 11:59 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
He actually mocked an individual player (Genia) albeit not as blatent as some we could mention have done this season but still unsporting.

The Aussies are the best sledgers in the world. Who knows that Genia hadnt been winding it up, and North just let him know it. North isnt that type of character so something must have made him do it.
Doesn't matter, mate. If he needed to make a comment to Genia, he should do it after the try is scored not before. What if he tripped on the way in and dropped the ball? He would be castigated from sunup to sundown. Gesturing before a try is dumb and classless. And granted I don't mind a little celebration afterwards, but nothing that demeans the opponent. Living in the US, I see some NFL players celebrating just for catching a pass or making a tackle. I still don't get that.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

Dr Grey - if North was home clear, nobody in sight, and raised his fist in the air (around the five yard line), just before sliding in under the posts, as a fair few players do, then your saying that would have been no different, as he may have dropped the ball? Would that have been unacceptable and requiring an apology?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

A little wag of the finger? Come on North, no need to apologise for that. After all, he had just scored a sensational try.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:48 pm

I had no problem with it, but then I had no problem with Ashton or others as well - I think worse if anything is when people grin at those they're running away from, or when someone ruffles an opposition's hair when they give away a penalty.

None of it really matters. The whole thing is - if you get cocky in football, you might have egg on your face if your team loses. But in rugby, you can also get smashed next time you're near the ball - so it carries it's own, slightly bigger risk. The whole thing is massively overstated because people are precious about being shown 'respect' or respect for the game - 'because rugby's special'. I know loads will disagree but it's in danger of disappearing up it's own @rse as much as it is turning into football.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:00 pm

well done George for apologising it is something I don't like to see on a Rugby field..
It seemed out of character for a fine upstanding young man...

Maybe now Mike Phillips will apologise for giving up and not trying to stop the first Aussie try..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:21 pm

Duty281 wrote:A little wag of the finger? Come on North, no need to apologise for that. After all, he had just scored a sensational try.

No - the problem is that he hadn't scored it when he made the gesture.

It's good that he's apologised.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm

pbuk0 wrote:well done George for apologising it is something I don't like to see on a Rugby field..

Maybe now Mike Phillips will apologise for giving up and not trying to stop the first Aussie try..

To be honest as much as I think his lions sun has set, Mike Phillips has earned his bread for the Lions... in 09 he was one of the very few who actually stood up to the boks for the full 80mins in the first test.... without him and one or two others it could have been a massacre.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:36 pm

fa0019 wrote:
pbuk0 wrote:well done George for apologising it is something I don't like to see on a Rugby field..

To be honest as much as I think his lions sun has set, Mike Phillips has earned his bread for the Lions... in 09 he was one of the very few who actually stood up to the boks for the full 80mins in the first test.... without him and one or two others it could have been a massacre.

I agree he was great in 2009.. that's why I was so disappointed with what I saw on Sat..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:38 pm

pbuk0 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

I agree he was great in 2009.. that's why I was so disappointed with what I saw on Sat..

4 years is a long time in rugby. SA are always a side where the physical players shine. Had Roberts played on Saturday I also think he would have performed lesser to expectations.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:45 pm

Hood83 wrote:I had no problem with it, but then I had no problem with Ashton or others as well - I think worse if anything is when people grin at those they're running away from, or when someone ruffles an opposition's hair when they give away a penalty.

None of it really matters. The whole thing is - if you get cocky in football, you might have egg on your face if your team loses. But in rugby, you can also get smashed next time you're near the ball - so it carries it's own, slightly bigger risk. The whole thing is massively overstated because people are precious about being shown 'respect' or respect for the game - 'because rugby's special'. I know loads will disagree but it's in danger of disappearing up it's own @rse as much as it is turning into football.

+1, when you look at the apology, it really looks like he has had the wording drilled into him, and it doesn't actually sound like something he would say, and does make the game sound like polo imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23094171 wrote:North was criticised for the signal and admits he regrets his actions.
"I got caught up in the emotion of the try. Looking back, I feel horrendous for doing it now," he said. North marked his Lions debut in the Brisbane win with a brilliant individual try, beating three players during a 60-metre run.

But the Northampton Saints player revealed he had spoken to tour manager Andy Irvine about the incident. "Rugby's a gentleman's game and that shouldn't be involved in the game," he said. "Andy said that to me and I knew it as soon as I'd done it. It's very difficult to explain your emotions when you've scored a try. I know it was out of line with sportsmanship and rugby and feel terrible for that. I've had a lot of stick from the boys for doing that and am pretty sure it will go on for a while longer."
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:02 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Dr Grey - if North was home clear, nobody in sight, and raised his fist in the air (around the five yard line), just before sliding in under the posts, as a fair few players do, then your saying that would have been no different, as he may have dropped the ball?  Would that have been unacceptable and requiring an apology?
I see you are trying to grind me down with logic - not playing fair, are you?

If there was no one in sight and he raised his hand or pumped a fist - clearly not aimed at anyone - no apology is needed. I still think it is dumb because his focus is distracted for the instant from holding the ball and touching it down. Granted the chances of dropping it are low, but not zero. If he dropped it, no apology might be enough to his team mates and supporters.

And I still maintain, he should save any celebration until after the try is scored, again about class and respect. That's how I was raised in Rugby, and I can't change now.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

can't believe the fuss about this .yes it was childish but i can understand the passion of that sixty metre try and out running one the best players on that pitch . also become cocky and prob knew he was going to get some that night

Last edited by jimmyinthewell68 on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:22 pm

Rog had been sledging Gethin all game (6N 05), calling him a fat c u next Tuesday.

Geth charge him down, booted the ball towards the line and scored a try. He then threw the ball at ROG and said 'whose the fat c u next tuesday now ?'

THATS how you respond to sledging clap
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:22 pm

bet you don't say that when Chris Ashton scores a try though Jimmy?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:29 pm

i ve not seen ashtons swan dive for ages Whistle 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:33 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:can't believe the fuss about this .yes it was childish but i can understand the passion of that sixty metre try and out running one the best players on that pitch . also become cocky and prob knew he was going to get some that night

Lucky boy Whistle 
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

I guess the biggest issue I have with the apology is that it doesn't sound like George North talking, to me, it sounds like words that have been put into a lads head by higher ups.  If the apology was 'sorry to Genia, it was a bit stupid of me to mock him, and not really in the spirit of the game, but emotions were high' I could have believed it was him.

I disagree, it is in the same tone as his piece in the daily mail earlier in the week (where he doesn't go as far to apologise but admits the adrenaline and emotion got to him and didn't intend to show disrespect). And, with respect, do you really know the individual well enough to recognise when his words have had outside influence?

If he didn't want to apologise then I don't think he would. It's not as if the management are going to drop him.

He crowned and amazing moment with something which was less than cool- clearly feels bad about it and has apologised, good for him.

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 28 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:can't believe the fuss about this .yes it was childish but i can understand the passion of that sixty metre try and out running one the best players on that pitch . also become cocky and prob knew he was going to get some that night
I'd be out of breath after 60 yards and my arm would only move to look for the Oxygen tank.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 28 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Lucky boy Whistle 

Yeh apparently as he was pointing his finger, Genia overheard North shouting something about being 'balls deep later' but thought nothing of it....Smile 
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm

irfon, i guess you got a point maybe he has had time to think etc, and maybe he has had a few press lessons since his 'bloodbath' comment in the six nations. It makes sense i guess.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

Griff wrote:I like the apology.  Shows that he felt the gesture was unsportsmanlike and non-rugby.  Shows that he feels it is not the real him, so much so that he felt the need to go public.  A good role model.  

+2

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 28 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
Griff wrote:I like the apology.  Shows that he felt the gesture was unsportsmanlike and non-rugby.  Shows that he feels it is not the real him, so much so that he felt the need to go public.  A good role model.  

+2
thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 29 Jun 2013, 7:35 am

No need for an apology, not like he 'accidently' stamped on someone's head now is it!!!
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Sat 29 Jun 2013, 7:52 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:No need for an apology, not like he 'accidently' stamped on someone's head now is it!!!

clap 

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 29 Jun 2013, 8:04 am

I hope he wags the finger again today even if it is an unforgivable heinous crime.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:10 am

Personally, I'd prefer to see Issy's try celebrations... pointing the finger to the Almighty One upstairs in Tongan prayer style. notworthy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:30 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:irfon, i guess you got a point maybe he has had time to think etc, and maybe he has had a few press lessons since his 'bloodbath' comment in the six nations.  It makes sense i guess.

I would also counter that anything in the Daily Mail, or any other daily for that matter, is most likely ghost written prose not the players own words.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:28 am

Linebreaker wrote:Personally, I'd prefer to see Issy's try celebrations... pointing the finger to the Almighty One upstairs in Tongan prayer style. notworthy

If you believe in such myths, after all no matter how much you believe it does not make it fact.Whistle 
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 29 Jun 2013, 1:15 pm

He didn't get much of an opportunity tonight. We may have to wait until next week.

I hope and pray he can offer his thanks closer to Minto. Wink 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 29 Jun 2013, 1:57 pm

In my son's game this morning the star player on his team made a big break down the left wing and score a beautiful try. BUT as he crossed over the line he turned around raised the ball over his head and did a bit of a wiggle and jeer before putting the ball down. This is under 8s. His dad immediately told him off for such unsporting behaviour.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 2:39 pm

Glad to hear it, nganboy OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down