The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murrays Golden Opportunity

+18
lydian
summerblues
ryan86
bsando
barrystar
HM Murdock
carrieg4
banbrotam
Calder106
Henman Bill
socal1976
JubbaIsle
JuliusHMarx
invisiblecoolers
Danny_1982
time please
monty junior
hawkeye
22 posters

Go down

Murrays Golden Opportunity Empty Murrays Golden Opportunity

Post by hawkeye Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm

This from the Observer

if Murray gets to the final, he will become only the third player since seedings of 32 were introduced here in 2002 to do so without having to play anyone inside the ATP's top 20. His opponent on Monday is Mikhail Youzhny, seeded 22nd and ranked 26 in the world.

Only Roger Federer in 2008, against Lleyton Hewitt, seeded 20 but rated 27, and David Nalbandian in 2002, against No27 in the world Nicolás Lapentti, have had easier runs to the final in the past 11 years. As much as Murray, the world No2, likes to emphasise that the only pressure he is feeling after three rounds is imposed by the media – which keep reminding him what a doddle he has had of it, with the ejection of Federer, Rafael Nadal and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on his side of the draw – there is no escaping the numbers.

Look away, Andy, but this really is a golden opportunity. After Youzhny it will be either the Spaniard Fernando Verdasco (54) or the Frenchman Kenny de Schepper (80) in the quarters, followed in the semi-finals by any one of Lukasz Kubot (130), Adrian Mannarino (111), Jerzy Janowicz (24) or Jürgen Melzer (37). That is not exactly a graveyard run. The likelihood is it will be Janowicz, who grows in stature by the day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/29/andy-murray-wimbledon-seeds-olympic

The seeds left in Djokovic's half are Haas (13), Berdych (7), Ferrer (4), Seppi (23) and Del Potro (8).

Is this Lukasz Kubot's best chance of a slam win?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murrays Golden Opportunity Empty Re: Murrays Golden Opportunity

Post by monty junior Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm

Every chance he would have made the final anyway, if anything it's a shame so many high seeds have gone out as he probably won't be tested until the final.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm

Laugh 

I was just about to say: the worm has been hooked, the line cast but no little fishies to be seen - maybe becoming resistant to the bait......but I was premature.

Just remains to be seen how many you can reel in HE!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

It is a golden opportunity. When you consider his grass results last year included beating Tsonga, Ferrer, Djokovic and Federer... On paper his draw to the final looks good.

.... But then I thought Roger and Rafa playing players outside the top 100 looked straight forward too.

You can never be sure what will happen, but I agree Janowicz looks the most dangerous.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:37 pm

Is it premature EJACULATION of Federer , Nadal and Tsonga in his draw Laugh 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:49 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Is it premature EJACULATION of Federer , Nadal and Tsonga in his draw Laugh 

I doubt HE felt that way Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:Is it premature EJACULATION of Federer , Nadal and Tsonga in his draw Laugh 

I doubt HE felt that way Smile
Very Happy censored 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sun 30 Jun 2013, 6:11 pm

Is Hawkeye cooking up a jinx or what ?

Janowicz looked a little susceptible when pushed into the sidelines, his backhand is not that good from that position, and thats Murrays favourite shot in that direction.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

JubbaIsle wrote:Is Hawkeye cooking up a jinx or what ?

Janowicz looked a little susceptible when pushed into the sidelines, his backhand is not that good from that position, and thats Murrays favourite shot in that direction.

Good analysis on the backhand he is a bit better when pulled wide on the forehand side. If hawkeye could institute a jinx on Murray she would.

But the article cited is correct this is Murray's best chance to win wimbeldon. I think he will, Novak has been playing well but with the home court and the more natural grass court game even against the world #1 he should be favored as the margins at the top are that thin.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:43 pm

Yep, on paper it looks favourable to Murray's game if he can get to the final, but as we all know, Djokovic can turn on the power when needed and last 5 sets no problemo.

I believe that whoever Andy gets, the opponent will play without fear knowing they are the underdog and so fancy their chances at an upset, if Andy doesn't drop a set in each round to the final, he will be playing some of his best tennis.

It should be a great end to the tournament if it does indeed become a top seed final and hopefully Laura can go one better than her already best showing on Monday too.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:01 pm

Murray (and Djokovic) both played down their chances in interviews and gave some "take each match as it comes" "Joe Bloggs my next opponent is actually a really good player" type BS, but I had to laugh when I read these interviews. They're not convincing anyone, are they? This is clearly an opportunity for all players left in the draw in fact.

Mind you, I'm not having a go at Murray. If he says the truth "yes I should really make the final from here, anything less is a disappointment" and then loses his next match that isn't going to look good and he adds pressure to himself and his opponents might get riled. I would say the same BS myself probably if I was pestered with such an inane and predictable question, if people want an honest answer they should ask him a long time after the tournament when he can say something that isn't disrespectful.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm

Yes HB that's the point. I'm quite sure Nadal and Federer would have said the same before their 1st and 2nd round matches.

Yes on paper the draw has opened up from being difficult for Murray to that he has a good chance of getting to the final. However these two losses show the danger of dimissing your opponents before you play them (not that Nadal or Federer did in my opinion). You will get very little credit for beating them but lots of negativitity when you do. So it has to be one game at a time. No point looking who is after Youzhny before you play him.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:40 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Murray (and Djokovic) both played down their chances in interviews and gave some "take each match as it comes" "Joe Bloggs my next opponent is actually a really good player" type BS, but I had to laugh when I read these interviews.

Ha ha! They both sound exactly like Rafa. Everyone used to mock Rafa when he came up with these lines now they're all copying him. It is funny.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm

Yeah, Rafa invented that.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 01 Jul 2013, 7:54 am

For me the heat forecast on Sunday, tips things in Andy's favour - because I think he's the better player in very fast conditions, i.e. the final could be the 'fastest' for years

But Friday is also fast making JJ's serve even more of a problem

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 01 Jul 2013, 7:57 am

socal1976 wrote:If hawkeye could institute a jinx on Murray she would

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

It would almost certainly have improved Rafa's chances of winning the US08' and the Aus10' Whistle 

Yes. It's obvious if Rafa ends up two short of the slam record, Murray is to blame Laugh 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:06 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Yeah, Rafa invented that.

Laugh  yeah, before Rafa all sports men, sports women and teams used to say "should be easy" when faced with a routine looking schedule. When Rafa first said "I'll take one match at a time" journalists were so confused they had to consult their dictionaries to work out what it meant.

Is there anything we don't have to thank Rafa for?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:40 am

Danny_1982 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Yeah, Rafa invented that.

Laugh  yeah, before Rafa all sports men, sports women and teams used to say "should be easy" when faced with a routine looking schedule. When Rafa first said "I'll take one match at a time" journalists were so confused they had to consult their dictionaries to work out what it meant.

Is there anything we don't have to thank Rafa for?

Laugh 

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:41 am

Nice article by JWT.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2352029/Wimbledon-2013-Jo-Wilfried-Tsonga--Andy-Murray-added-pressure.html

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:15 am

carrieg4 wrote:Nice article by JWT.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2352029/Wimbledon-2013-Jo-Wilfried-Tsonga--Andy-Murray-added-pressure.html
Nice article and it features yet another picture of Andy and Novak where it looks like they are about to kiss!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:28 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:Nice article by JWT.

Nice article and it features yet another picture of Andy and Novak where it looks like they are about to kiss!

Laugh So it does, I missed that.

I liked JWT talking about his own experiences of playing at the French Open. Even though there are more French players near the top of the games there is still a phenomenal amount of pressure on him. Plus the French crowds are notoriously far less polite to say the least which must be tough to deal with.

Sorry HE, went a bit off topic here.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

The trouble is that the same question arises in nearly every tournament they play, and the same essential answer suffices, hence boredom sets in... They can always acknowledge that on paper the position looks like this and that they know they'll be many people's favourites, but when human beings get involved life is more complicated.

That's about it - how many times can you repackage it?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:29 pm

I thought it was a golden opportunity back in 2001 and look how that panned out......

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 01 Jul 2013, 6:44 pm

Basically, the media are useless. Andy's question after his match today was "Just job done or tougher than that?" It's an inane question. How is he supposed to respond to that? If he says "just job done" he's implying "Youzhny is easy to beat".

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:35 pm

Yeah media ask the crappest questions at times. I love it when the athletes just ignore the question and say what they want to say.

This is probably the easiest draw Murray is going to ever get on paper, no doubt. Yet Djokovic in the final is probably going to be one step too far. To be fair, if Berdych somehow makes the final I would definitely expect Berdych to win it. Murray has a terrible record against him.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:18 pm

This will be titanic clash if both Murray and Djoko can get through two more rounds that they should win. It is going to be so hard to beat Murray in a homecourt final at wimbeldon but Novak is up to the task if anyone is. Both guys of course still have to get there but you have to start thinking what ifs at this stage. Neither man has dropped a set so they look most likely by a mile.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:21 pm

I'm sick of the questions Murray gets asked. They're always the same...

"So how are you dealing with the pressure Andy? Do you feel much pressure? Does Rafa and Roger losing add more pressure? Do you feel nervous and the pressure during matches? How many times can I get pressure into my questions, and in turn does that make YOU feel the pressure?"

I actually think they want him to fall apart! It's always the same in the UK, Rory McIlroy got the same treatment for ages.

Ask technical questions about the matches, it's far more interesting.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:26 pm

Murray's "terrible" record against Berdych is because Murray is terrible on clay. He actually leads 4-2 on hard, but it's 0-3 on clay.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:26 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:I'm sick of the questions Murray gets asked. They're always the same...

"So how are you dealing with the pressure Andy? Do you feel much pressure? Does Rafa and Roger losing add more pressure? Do you feel nervous and the pressure during matches? How many times can I get pressure into my questions, and in turn does that make YOU feel the pressure?"

I actually think they want him to fall apart! It's always the same in the UK, Rory McIlroy got the same treatment for ages.

Ask technical questions about the matches, it's far more interesting.

I know - how these top guys keep their patience answering the same unimaginative questions during every single interview!   The British press and the BBC are ridiculous with Murray - it's too much all the time.

Also really hate the new tradition of interviewing the poor b*ggers before they step on to Centre Court for the final - its inhuman!   The commentators should allow the finalists to just get in the zone without some moronic journalist leaping in with some inanity seconds before they make their entrance. (sadly this seems to be the way of every slam now - but did we have to follow?)

I guess the only thing you can say about the predictability of the questions fired at Murray is that, by dint of their repetitiveness, he has hopefully switched off from them a little?

I love to think that if he wins, they'll calm down - but it will probably be like 1966 before every Wimbledon from 2014 to eternity!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue 02 Jul 2013, 2:06 am

Well, the draw certainly worked out different than what we would have expected.

On Murray's side of the draw, we have Andy plus a motley crew of three improbable challengers (instead of Roger, Rafa and Tsonga).  The three of them have won a combined five titles in their careers - and all of those five are Verdasco's.  Andy, on the other hand, has won five (and bigger) titles in the last 12 months.  On paper at least, there is little Andy can be complaining about.

On the other side, it is just the opposite - all four seeds made it to the QF, perhaps increasing the chance that Novak may yet stumble before the final hurdle.

So, which one will it be?  Will we get top two players in the world fighting it out, or will Ferrer square off in the final against Kubot?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:10 am

If its Ferrer vs Kubot then I'll be repainting the garage door on Sunday.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:44 am

I thought you'd have liked Kubot? The famous S&V, big groundstrokes, inability to rally past about five shots, just your cup of tea Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:32 am

Ferrer v Kubot would actually be an interesting clash of styles. I'd happily watch that.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

Yeah, it's not Kubot that's the problem... Wink
Ferrer is almost Granollers-like for me and everyone knows just how much I love the seed plough.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 02 Jul 2013, 12:30 pm

Ferrer is the No. 4 seed plough.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:08 pm

lydian wrote:Yeah, it's not Kubot that's the problem... Wink
Ferrer is almost Granollers-like for me and everyone knows just how much I love the seed plough.
My interest in this event is already hanging by a thread, and that attached only because of Janowicz and the question of just how curious I am over how long a Murray / Djokovic final might actually go on for.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:15 pm

Given Fed's lovely multi-skilled abilities, you're watching partly because of JJ, BB?

I think, if they reach the final - we could have a good one. Sunday is predicted to be hot, so something different to normal will happen

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:23 pm

banbrotam wrote:Given Fed's lovely multi-skilled abilities, you're watching partly because of JJ, BB?

I think, if they reach the final - we could have a good one. Sunday is predicted to be hot, so something different to normal will happen
My interest in JJ is just because (i) he's a different face, and it's been a long time since there was any serious reason to think about anyone I haven't been watching for about 6 years, and (ii) it's fascinating for now watching how big his game is.

Something different to normal? It'd be nice the think so but I doubt it. I hope Murray wins it if it comes to that final, by the way, there's only so much agony it's fair to heap upon one guy!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:29 pm

bogbrush wrote: I hope Murray wins it if it comes to that final, by the way, there's only so much agony it's fair to heap upon one guy!
It's character building. If we really want the best for Murray, we should all hope for a Novak win.

Maybe then I can stop having nightmares about nets and semi finals.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:40 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote: I hope Murray wins it if it comes to that final, by the way, there's only so much agony it's fair to heap upon one guy!
It's character building. If we really want the best for Murray, we should all hope for a Novak win.

Maybe then I can stop having nightmares about nets and semi finals.
Y'know, you're such a decent guy - even against Novak you'd want the best for the other fella! Laugh 

Forgot about the net. Yikes  Actually, it should be called The Net.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:22 pm

bogbrush wrote:
banbrotam wrote:Given Fed's lovely multi-skilled abilities, you're watching partly because of JJ, BB?

My interest in JJ is just because (i) he's a different face, and it's been a long time since there was any serious reason to think about anyone I haven't been watching for about 6 years, and (ii) it's fascinating for now watching how big his game is.

Something different to normal? It'd be nice the think so but I doubt it. I hope Murray wins it if it comes to that final, by the way, there's only so much agony it's fair to heap upon one guy!

I feel the same way, if Janowicz was just a big serve and fh like so many others I wouldn't find him very interesting. But the drop shots, the fact that he can move and volley well at that size makes him an intriguing player and very watchable. He might or might not go on to great things but I already like watching him now and that is a big accomplishment for me personally on the part of the player.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:47 pm

Nah! Can't see it. Sorry. Maybe it's because I watched the Melzer match

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:01 pm

Banbro - was he not at all impressive against Melzer? I didn't see any of that match.

I hope you're right. You're way less worried than me!

Anyway, Mr Verdasco first...

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:48 am

Last year was supposed to be Murray's golden opportunity the minute Nadal lost and then when Djokovic lost to Federer it was almost certain. In fact Even Murray admitted in the interview that it was suggested it was his best chance facing a 30 year old in the final. He could not cross the finish line though but I guess this year he will not be overwhelmed by the occasion as he has been there before.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

FedsFan wrote:Last year was supposed to be Murray's golden opportunity the minute Nadal lost and then when Djokovic lost to Federer it was almost certain. In fact Even Murray admitted in the interview that it was suggested it was his best chance facing a 30 year old in the final. He could not cross the finish line though but I guess this year he will not be overwhelmed by the occasion as he has been there before.

Always assuming that he makes the final and faces Djoko, I think (with hindsight) his chances this year are better than last.

There's not a huge difference between his opponents - I think Djoko is a marginally stronger opponent this year, but Fed was no slouch last year having beaten Djoko in the SF, being in good shape and form (having shaken off the back), working towards very clear goals of Wimbledon, #1, and Olympic Gold, and being a more natural player on grass.

The big difference is with Murray himself - apart from the technical improvements to his 1st serve and forehand, he's crossed the slam line, he won big at SW19 in the Olympics, and the fact that he's really got very little to prove any more seems to have made him able to channel his competitiveness much less negatively in big matches.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 03 Jul 2013, 1:06 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Banbro - was he not at all impressive against Melzer? I didn't see any of that match.

In patches. But not enough to worry a solid performance from one of the Top 5. He also is very demonstrable, which is OK on the outside courts against a fellow outsider. Not certain that he'll feel he needs to reel that in against Andy (should they meet)

If Andy's returning game suddenly deserts him, then yes - I'm worried!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

Andy is averaging 62.75% first serves in and 82.25% points won on first serve. Omens look good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down