The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

will the lions survive another series defeat?

+6
yappysnap
lostinwales
tigerleghorn
RuggerRadge2611
HammerofThunor
stevetynant
10 posters

Go down

will the lions survive another series defeat? Empty will the lions survive another series defeat?

Post by stevetynant Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:19 pm

I keep reading this is it for the lions "brand" if they don't bring home the bacon this time.does anyone give this any credence at all.there is a high injury rate and there's always overcrowding of fixture lists to consider,but for me this is a challenge like no other for British and Irish players,legends can be made.The 2009 and 2013 tours have been huge theatre for supporters all around the world and remind me of a more simple time in the game when sport was first and the comardarie of your colleagues and the travelling fans was paramount. The sanza agreement for the next tour has still not been agreed as far as I'm aware.is there a possibility this will be the last great lions tour?

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

will the lions survive another series defeat? Empty Re: will the lions survive another series defeat?

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:20 pm

Yes. They make money.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

will the lions survive another series defeat? Empty Re: will the lions survive another series defeat?

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:20 pm

Need a better coach.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:29 pm

I nominate Guy Noves to coach the next Lions tour to NZ with the caveat that he doesn't coach any British or Irish national team prior or just after said tour.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

At least with a scots coach you get the double advantage of scots input and not having to worry about favoritism

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:39 pm

They make money for the sanza Unions for sure but the question is are they a viable commercial concern going forward where the odds are always going to be stacked against them.results and tactics are not the reason they maybe disbanded that is a purely commercial and political argument

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:41 pm

Not sure they make much for the home unions - £6m divided between the 4 I heard.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 03 Jul 2013, 8:04 pm

Griff wrote:Not sure they make much for the home unions - £6m divided between the 4 I heard.

A lot more than they get on normal tours.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm

But the hosts rarely get as much on a normal tour as on a lions tour, do they? - reportedly £40m to Aus, while the Lions get £6m.

I'm not one that wants it to end. I like the Lions. But for £1.5m I can imagine that being bandied about as a reason to finish it by the home unions.

For me, to stop the Lions because we're not winning (as mentioned in the OP) would be akin to picking up our ball and walking away in a sulk.

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:18 pm

The Lions will stay, but for me an impartial coach is needed next time and the home union must play all of their International players in the warm up games (although as it's NZ I can't see much difference in quality if they don't).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:23 pm

Griff wrote:But the hosts rarely get as much on a normal tour as on a lions tour, do they? - reportedly £40m to Aus, while the Lions get £6m.

I'm not one that wants it to end. I like the Lions. But for £1.5m I can imagine that being bandied about as a reason to finish it by the home unions.

For me, to stop the Lions because we're not winning (as mentioned in the OP) would be akin to picking up our ball and walking away in a sulk.

I don't understand your point. The hosts get more than they do from usual tours. The tourists also get more than they do from usual tours. Everyone gets more they would with a 'normal' tour. So financially everyone is better off with it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:43 pm

My only point Hammer is that £1.5m is not a great deal for all of the hassle - if people start to talk about shutting the Lions down then one of the reasons may be because it isn't much of an earner for all of the hassle, even if it does generate more than 'normal' tours. At least with normal tours there is a purpose - development, experience, test out combinations, etc. Lions does nothing for the home unions really.

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:49 pm

Does anyone really care?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:54 pm

Griff wrote:My only point Hammer is that £1.5m is not a great deal for all of the hassle - if people start to talk about shutting the Lions down then one of the reasons may be because it isn't much of an earner for all of the hassle, even if it does generate more than 'normal' tours. At least with normal tours there is a purpose - development, experience, test out combinations, etc. Lions does nothing for the home unions really.

It does if a national coach takes a load of his national players with him Very Happy 

Of course it depends on how greedy the unions are. Also depends how many of their players go. This Lions tour has been pretty good for the SRU

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 04 Jul 2013, 12:56 am

Will it survive? Nostalgia will keep it going for a few more cycles yet.

It's getting in the way of Nation against Nation series though. This is a professional age. We (as individual Nations) don't need to get together to have a stab at the SH boys.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 04 Jul 2013, 1:32 am

The British and Irish Lions is a right gob-full.
Celtic Lions just trips off the tongue.
And 6m punts/3 would be a welcome addition to the coffers (whilst the rose garden is being carefully tended)

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 04 Jul 2013, 3:10 am

First off, the Lions haven't lost yet.  So let's not wallow in the well of that despair until it is time, if ever.  

OK, many people, probably everyone in the world not currently involved with overthrowing the Egyptian government, understands this is a less than optimum Lions squad brought on tour and and a sub-optimal squad for Saturday.  An uphill climb, for sure.  

However domonised, all players brought on tour are full Internationals in their own right and certainly have a clue how to play top level Rugby.  And Gatland and his henchmen can't impact play once the lads get between the lines.  

Consequently, if common sense and self-pride stands for itself, then in the private of the clubhouse, the unloved players have a decision to make: Follow the 1-2-3 kick game plan - or do what's right:
Smother the Aussie attack.
Run at all costs.  
Support each other, and don't run easy straight lines which are easy to defend.  Be aggressive, vary approach and don't lose possession.  
Drive forwards.  Wings come inside to add to the onslaught.  Onslaught from all angles.  And if some players can't keep the pace, bring on the next ones.  Manu, Farrell, Murray, better watch and learn.  They are the ultra last line.  

They tests are about the players.  Go out and win boys. Lleave your selectors and coaches in Oz.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down