The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland predicts Lions win in New Zealand 2017

+5
Biltong
Taylorman
Glas a du
dallym
rainbow-warrior
9 posters

Go down

Gatland predicts Lions win in New Zealand 2017  Empty Gatland predicts Lions win in New Zealand 2017

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23222009

Warran at his mind blowing best, got to admire this man's psychology, stirring it up already...legend:laugh: 
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Gatland predicts Lions win in New Zealand 2017  Empty Re: Gatland predicts Lions win in New Zealand 2017

Post by dallym Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:07 am

might happen if Gatland is in charge of the ABs...

dallym

Back to top Go down

Gatland predicts Lions win in New Zealand 2017  Empty Re: Gatland predicts Lions win in New Zealand 2017

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:44 am

Cor blimey guvnor you're quick witted ain't ya. You should be on the stage.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:34 am

It's a pitch for the All Blacks job "can you afford not to hire me?"

Deans must feel sick.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:40 am

Just an opinion youd expect from a winning coach. Good on him. Having beaten Oz 14 of the last 18 or so tests the Lions feat is hardly going to shake the foundations of the NZRFU.

His reference to the potential is the point here, though theyll need more than the few names he's mentioned. Frankly after defying last weeks hecklers he can say what he wants.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 am

Possibly, but every little helps.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:52 am

Doubt Gatland is stirring anything, doubt New Zealand is paying attention, someone predicted the end of the world in 2012, nothing happened.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 am

Glas a du wrote:It's a pitch for the All Blacks job "can you afford not to hire me?"

Deans must feel sick.

I suppose it is. This is Gats first win that NZ will sit up and notice. This Oz series is closer to home and against a foe we are more familiar with. We wont be beating Oz anything like 41-16 (was it?) this year so there will be a bit of muttering going on.

Superxv coaches will be looked at first and Hansen will take them through to the Lions series should results go as they are now.

Deans is probably seen his last big test. He's been given so many lifelines by Oz and just won't be considered.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:41 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:

Warren at his mind blowing best, got to admire this man's psychology, stirring it up already...legend:laugh: 

I think you seem to have been intentionally mislead by the headline...! When you read the first few paragraphs you realise quickly that Warren doesn't say that at all. Someone asked him "if they could win?"

From the BBC article.

"Yes, I think if we get things right in terms of the preparation and stuff," said Gatland, when asked if the Lions will prevail on their 2017 tour.

"You've always got to believe that when you go somewhere you go there to win.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 am

wouldnt expect anything else from a kiwi thumbsup  thing is, they'll be up against a lot more of em that think the same way...purely in the numbers...can the Lions come to NZ with that mindset? Thats the challenge isn t it...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:20 pm

I think NZ rugby will be more laughing at the Lions who managed to lose 1, almost lose another, and get beaten by a S15 team. If the ABs had put together that tour they'd be calling for the coaches head, not celebrating.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:33 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:I think NZ rugby will be more laughing at the Lions who managed to lose 1, almost lose another, and get beaten by a S15 team. If the ABs had put together that tour they'd be calling for the coaches head, not celebrating.

Whoa there. This Lions team was led by Gatland, a stand-up Kiwi sort who masterminded a rarer than hen's teeth Lions victory through innovative tactics and brave selections, and you know it. As long as he's at the helm, you'll be stuffed. At best you'll find your irresistible force All blacks countered by another Kiwi driven immovable object.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:47 pm

The last Lions win sparked some good things in the NH for at least one sie and our loss to England means I'm not laughing. Gats wont be the Lions coach by then. It would be a backward move in terms of his AB vision. Hes done it all in the NH other than the WCup and in 15 has his chance at that.

By the time the Lions roll around he needs to be well enrenched in a sxv side. That way when and if he hits the AB position he'll have a very good knowledge of rugby globally. He came back temporarily during the 00's but took off again around Teds reappointment so after 15 years odd in the NH needs to catch up with NZ rugby.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Taylorman wrote:The last Lions win sparked some good things in the NH for at least one sie and our loss to England means I'm not laughing. Gats wont be the Lions coach by then. It would be a backward move in terms of his AB vision. Hes done it all in the NH other than the WCup and in 15 has his chance at that.

By the time the Lions roll around he needs to be well enrenched in a sxv side. That way when and if he hits the AB position he'll have a very good knowledge of rugby globally. He came back temporarily during the 00's but took off again around Teds reappointment so after 15 years odd in the NH needs to catch up with NZ rugby.

Quick question Taylorman, and your answer may just be 'wait and see' but would you expect to be supportive of his appointment after a bit of time in S15? If Hansen fell under a bus tomorrow where would Gats be in your pecking order for replacements?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:59 am

Good question and one for our fellow kiwis as well. gats I've seen may have rubbed the NZRFU up the wrong way somewhere along the way- no idea what thats about though.

Being a sxv coach you get a first hand view of not only the players, the trends and the opposition but also an understanding of the level of play about and how to apply it to the RC, World cup etc.

While I've no idea of the pecking order names like Dave Rennie (Chiefs) , JK, Blackadder, Schmidt and Hansens cohorts are bandied about (I'm sure there are others) for 4-5 years time.

I liked the way Rennie (with Wayne Smith) made the Chiefs instant champions and he's done the NZ age 20 side where he won 3 titles/ ITM with Wellington and Manawatu so has had a lot of success.

In my personal view gatland has gone up not so much because of this series win but for the way he made the unpopular decisions and how he handled all the unpopularity last week- character I suppose you could call it. Folk in the NH might call it a fluke but we read a bit more between the lines here.

But sxv is a must. Its the competition that produces our AB's and the finger has to be on the pulse for that.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 am

He'll never go Super rugby, what a drop that would be both in standards and in $$$$$. Wales until 2019 possibly.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:55 am

He'll go there rw if he thinks it'll pave the way to the AB job. Much will depend on the results of 2015 RWC. If Hansen gets the win, the NZRU will bow to any of his wishes. Slip up and you might see Gatland bypass the need to go back to Super 15. He can offer himself as the NH knockout expert who can get results no matter how ugly it gets.

So I think Gats will play it cool until 2015 with Wales. Milk the financial rewards of being a victorious Lions and 6n coach and see how 2015 pans out. After 2015 I think you'll see him return to NZ. In what capacity will be determined by the RWC results.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 am

I like to believe not everything is always about money, and as Kia suggests if Deans wants the AB job he will sacrifice to get there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:02 am

Gatland mate. Deans is now going for the SA job. Very Happy 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:03 am

I personally think Deans will be a great SA coach, we have the player stock that can execute his structures. He will have to do a few IQ tests though, our players aren't the smartest. Doh 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Gatland mate. Deans is now going for the SA job. Very Happy 

Doh Meant Gatland.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:36 pm

rainbow-warrior wrote:He'll never go Super rugby, what a drop that would be both in standards and in $$$$$.  Wales until 2019 possibly.

You think that rainbow...standards? Im sure last time I looked those 'standards' produce...the AB's...the Wallabies...the Springboks...funnily enough ...3 sides Wales seem to have had difficulty with...Doh 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down