The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing a Cricket Bat?

5 posters

Go down

Preparing a Cricket Bat? Empty Preparing a Cricket Bat?

Post by jimbohammers Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi guys, just after a bit of help really. I have just bought a new bat and i was wondering what i have to do before i can use it? I have bought the bat oil and a wooden mallet, but do i have to oil the bat? Also the bat is 'pre-knocked, does that mean i don't have to knock it in for too long?

(sorry if they are basic questions, im fairly new to 'playing' cricket)

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Preparing a Cricket Bat? Empty Re: Preparing a Cricket Bat?

Post by Mike Selig Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Pre-knocked probably means you can get away without using oil. I would knock it in for 1.5-2 hours, spread over 3-4 days; then use it against old balls (either for hitting catches, or in the nets against the spinners) for another couple of hours before trying it in a match. Don't forget to knock in the edges and the toe.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I got myself two Adidas Pellaras this year, and I didnt knock them in... Just had a throw down session. Pre-knocked means you dont have to do it. But I would advise you against facing pace without breaking it in
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:13 pm

kingraf wrote:Pre-knocked means you dont have to do it.

Not really... just means they've done some of the work. With very few exceptions, in my experience, pre-knocked in bats still need some knocking in (including TDs, nets against spin, hitting catches, etc.).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Thats why I advised against facing pace without breaking it in. My experience, the bat tells you when its fine. My Pellaras needed about 100 TDs, my Icon more, my ARES nearly none.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. OK Ill knock it in for a couple more hours just to be safe and will use it in the nets.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Mike Selig wrote: Don't forget to knock in the edges and the toe.

These are the only things I knock in Very Happy 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 pm

What bat do use? I scored a double ton a few years ago with my Icon, and I probably had a higher average using it, I just dont think its because I knocked it in more. Got close with my Adidas, though, 160ish in a 40-a-side... It was the blind, mind.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

Think Selig hit the nail on the head. Should be fine to go but I wouldn't use it against a new ball or one of these sports shop type balls you get that tend to creep in to a net session (incredibly hard for some reason).

With my Bradbury I got the vendor to put a toe guard on and the transparent plastic face covering. I know a lot of people dislike the artificial face (I do) but I only left it on for a few games. If you take care removing it, then give a very light sand and oil, you get the natural effect back but also a bat that won't have surface cracks or chips etc.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down