The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: John Deere, US Senior Open, Tasty Trivia: Notes from the Ballwasher

+13
NedB-H
pedro
robopz
mystiroakey
themightyone
Skydriver
GPB
JAS
Tinmar
Shotrock
Lairdy
shclaff
kwinigolfer
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: John Deere, US Senior Open, Tasty Trivia: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: John Deere, US Senior Open, Tasty Trivia: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 10 2013, 15:43

1).OK, Let's turn this upside down and start with a tasty trivia question:
CBS were covering a tournament recently when Ian Baker Hyperbole Finch commented that one golfer "has been a good player for a long time now", or words to that effect. In fact, the man in question has finished in the Top 125 money-winners each year for at least the last dozen (excluding 2013), one of only "Thirteen" Golfers to do so. Who are they?

Only clues to start with are:
~I can only come up with a dozen, so IBF might be hyperbolising again.
~That dozen includes five Americans, seven "overseas" players.
GO!

2)."The Greenbrier Classic" produced an entertaining enough tournament and a European winner, Jonas Blixt, who returned from the wilderness in the nick of time. A super "rookie" season followed by ho-hum results this year which risked keeping him from the Play-Offs, but he certainly played the best on Sunday, albeit in somewhat bizarre circumstances.

3).Following a lengthy weather delay, the final twosome (Johnson Wagnier and Jimmy Walker) teed off on Sunday at 5.10 p.m, and finished up 3 hrs 38 minutes later. One would imagine that's the fastest final round for the last pair out at a PGA Tournament for a very long time. Wagnier was "furious" at his play - he struggled on the back nine to a 73 - but also complained that "it was dark, it was really dark . . . . . the last few holes I felt like we were just trying to finish." The de-moustachioed Johnson was adamant he wasn't blaming the pace of play for his own disappointment, but it does make one wonder whether 3 1/2 hours is the new Tour gold-standard for a final twosome, or if players were instructed to get a move on.

4).Nothing diminishes from Blixt's blitz of the lovely "Old White" design, however. Pleased to see him back at his best, and the owner of the last two Continental European wins on Tour. Jonas will keep his date at "The John Deere Classic" this week before catching the charter to Scotland and The Open Championship.

5).Before going on to the "Quad Cities" border region of Illinois and Iowa however, one notices the withdrawal of Kris Blanks from this week's web.commer in Utah. Nothing unusual in that most likely, except that Blanks wasn't firing blanks when he tried to get a loaded gun through security at West Palm Beach airport a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if he's suspended pending completion of the police investigation? He's out on bail right now on weapons charges. If he's not suspended he should be. For a good long time I would suggest.
What a berk.

6).And no news yet about D.H.Lee who offered an emphatic finger to all and sundry after playing a third round shot which apparently disappointed him at Congressional. He expected to be fined by the Tour - if anyone is wondering what D.H. might stand for, the well known (to me anyway!) horse racing trainer of the 70's and early 80's Richard Head might offer a clue.

7).The most highly sought after tee markers (John Deere diggers of various sorts, taken as souvenirs) on the PGA Tour have attracted a pretty good field for "The John Deere Classic" at TPC Deere Run in Silvis, Illinois. It's great to see so many local-ish players supporting a terrific community event, Steve Stricker and Zach Johnson of course, but other prominent quasi-locals include Messrs Points, Mark Wilson, Jerry Kelly, Guthrie and Streelman.
Keegan Bradley and King Louis Oosthuizen will also be here, and Europe is represented by Brian Davis and Greg Owen, Messrs Christian, Karlsson, Knox, Pettersson, Blixt, Parnevik and Norlander.

8).Two golfers who won't be are Paul Goydos (who shot 59 here three years ago and is trying to come back from wrist surgery) and Peter Hanson, who withdrew during Round 4 at The Greenbrier. Goydos may be more concerned about being fully fit for his Champions Tour debut next year, but Hanson must be getting concerned about his fitness after struggling most of this year. He's now 126th in the FedEx Cup points list and that (out of the leading 125) would be enough to lose him his card.

9).A few hundred miles to the West of the John Deere action is Omaha Country Club in Nebraska, site of this week's US Senior Open Championship; don't know much about the course except that Perry (Colonial, Prairie Dunes, Southern Hills) Maxwell conducted an extensive renovation of a 19th century original shortly before he died. It's subsequently been brought up to date by Keith Foster who has "done" some previous Perry Maxwell restorations.

10).Despite a very limited overseas presence, last year's winner Roger Chapman and 2010 champ Bernhard Langer will lead a thin (nothing personal Colin) European challenge including Montgomerie, Barry Lane, Wolstenholme and Wesselingh.
Pathetically insular that the USGA fails to embrace more of an international presence, but greats of the past have won this Championship, Gary Player, the legendary Simon Hobday, Graham Marsh and Eddie Romero so hopefully another international golfer might win this year - perhaps Peter (long-putter) Senior which would represent a double-fisted D.H.Lee-style salute to the USGA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: John Deere, US Senior Open, Tasty Trivia: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: John Deere, US Senior Open, Tasty Trivia: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by shclaff Wed Jul 10 2013, 15:51

Thanks for the write up kwini.

My guess for your question.....Tim Clark?

shclaff

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: John Deere, US Senior Open, Tasty Trivia: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: John Deere, US Senior Open, Tasty Trivia: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 10 2013, 16:09

Thanks shclaff,
There are twelve players altogether that I can document (13 according to IBF but I reckon he's wrong); Tim Clark's first PGA Tour season was 2002 so we're looking at guys who go back at least until 2001.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed Jul 10 2013, 17:02

Ale Hi Kwini,

Great write up. A suitable level of detail for this weeks preamble! I'm sure I heard that IBF comment but cant remember who it was... will look back through last couple of weeks leaderboards and get back to you!

I like the Greenbrier. The fact that it looks like its in the middle of nowhere is great, low scores are there but not ridiculous and I can relate to finishing on a par3. Shame Phil never sticks around at the weekend though. I'm heading up to Castle Stuart on Friday so hope to see him some there.

Decent field this week. Praying that Louis finds some form/tractors. I had him down for a huge year, vying for titles with Rory... wrong on both!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Jul 10 2013, 17:04

Kwin - Played Omaha CC and it's a wonderful course. Nice to see places like this being showcased. Too bad they couldn't get it to Sand Hills!

And speaking of interesting courses, really looking forward to Castle Stuart. Recent winner Gmac had this to say about it: "Taking it to Castle Stuart was designed to get it on a links course the week before The Open and it’s a beautiful venue — but it is probably a little too wide open off the tee and a little one-dimensional,” quotes McDowell. So, you have the best golfers in the world preparing for the Open Championship and the European Tour needs comments like this from one of their Ryder Cup members?

Yeah, you need some harsher tests GMAC ... like Merion!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:13

Hi Kwini,

Re your quiz question:

Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson & Jim Furyk must be three of the Americans. I'll hesitantly say Davis Love & Justin Leonard for the other two although they may have had a bad year in there somewhere. Maybe David Toms would be a better pick?

Re the overseas players, I'll go with Ernie Els, Retief Goosen, Vijay Singh, Sergio Garcia, Padraig Harrington, Stuart Appleby & Robert Allenby.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:23

Tinmar,
You've nailed three Americans, though not necessarily your bankers, and four overseas players.

Mickelson: YES!
Furyk: YES!
Love: YES!
Els: YES!
Singh: YES!
Garcia: YES!
Allenby: YES!

Two Americans and three overseas golfers to go.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Jul 10 2013, 20:58

Yanks...Stricker? Z Johnson?
Overseas...Cabrera? Freddie Jac?, Carl Pettersen? Adam Scott?

Shotrock...Gmac's assessment is pretty accurate to be fair, it IS wide open off most tees, it IS beautiful. Not quite sure what he means by one dimensional though. Basically if the wind doesn't blow I can see the winner being somewhere between 24 & 28 under par. It IS links but in terms of a preparation for Muirfield? Lets just say it's better preparation than LL but anyone not familiar with links who scores well this week shouldn't get carried away about their prospects next week :-/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 10 2013, 21:24

Six No's JAS. We're still looking for two Americans and three overseas players.

Sr,
Did Warren Buffet get you on for a round at Omaha?
Have you played Sand Hills? Not very many courses on my bucket list, but that's close to the top!

Regarding McDowell's Castle Stuart comments, I'd say they are pretty disingenuous - he went to the back end of beyond to play in Bulgaria with its built-in appearance fee. As a Past Champion at the decidedly unlinks Loch Lomond, you'd think he'd be better off saying nothing at all rather than criticise a tournament whose venue is moving anyway.

Lairdy,
Oosthuizen's been battling fitness for much of the year - hopefully tractors and the claret jug can heal and motivate!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Jul 10 2013, 21:29

what about KJ?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Jul 10 2013, 21:46

Not Warren and I have not played Sand Hills, which is also on my bucket list. The latest course in Nebraska that seems to generate very polarizing opinions is Dismal River (whatta name!).

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Jul 10 2013, 22:01

Mickelson: YES!
Furyk: YES!
Love: YES!
Els: YES!
Singh: YES!
Garcia: YES!
Allenby: YES!

==========

Adding three Americans:

David Toms
Brian Gay

edit and Charles Howell III

And

Int'l Padraig Harrington.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 10 2013, 22:14

JAS,
KJ is a YES!

GPB: Howell is a YES!
Brian Gay misses out very narrowly, as does Toms.

So:
We have Mickelson, Furyk, Love and Howell for the Americans,
And Els, Singh, Garcia, Choi and Allenby for the R.O.T.W.
Two ROTW and one American to go.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Jul 10 2013, 22:18

I believe Paddy and John Senden round out the ROTW.

edit And Rory Sabbatini qualifies too

and Edit OMG Pat Perez!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 10 2013, 22:49

GPB,
No! to Harrington and Senden.
And No! for Pat Perez.
Senden and Perez each began their PGA Tour membership in 2002. Harrington had a duff year in there, perhaps 2002-ish.

But YES!!! for Sabbatini.

One American and one ROTW to go.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Jul 10 2013, 23:43

OK, the American is Jonathan Byrd.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed Jul 10 2013, 23:49

Geoff Ogilvy?

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jul 11 2013, 04:01

Not Jonathan Byrd, but Sky is correct with Geoff Ogilvy.

One American to go . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Jul 11 2013, 04:15

JJ Henry

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu Jul 11 2013, 07:22

Tim "Lumpy" Herron perhaps?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Thu Jul 11 2013, 11:14

Speaking of Seniors and "Open"-ness, anyone seen the ESPN body issue stuff with Gary Player? I know he winds some people up but at 77 the guy is in great shape.

https://youtu.be/qB9O8WMcMHE

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jul 11 2013, 12:07

GPB has the correct answer: JJ Henry.
Like so many others, Tim Heron missed a year.

So the full list is:
Mickelson, Furyk, Howell, Love, Henry.
Els, Sabbatini, Singh, Choi, Ogilvy, Allenby, Garcia.
And Singh and Allenby will probably be goners from this list as they're out of the 2013 Top 125 with just a few weeks to go. Quite possible that Love will also go missing, while JJ needs another made cut or two.

I think IBF was over the limit when he suggested thirteen. Not for the first time, of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jul 11 2013, 17:26

Looks like a picture-perfect day for golf in the Quad Cities today, even for Keegan Bradley who seems not to be taking advantage of mint conditions.

Lest we forget, as at Castle Stuart, this week's John Deere winner collects an exemption for Muirfield, and four of the five tied for this moment's lead would earn themselves a trip:
deJonge
Bettencourt
Vaughn Taylor
Summerhays
with Zach Johnson already booked.

Big surprise so far is the poor first-round showing by Luke Guthrie; bringing up the rear after finishing 5th last year in one of his first starts straight out of college. Thought he'd do better than this.

Brian Davis the leading European player among the early birds, but back in 30th.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu Jul 11 2013, 20:46

Welcome back Camilo!

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Fri Jul 12 2013, 08:37

themightyone wrote:Welcome back Camilo!

....until later today when he shoots 75 and puts himself out of contention? Hope I'm wrong!

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 12 2013, 09:43

If ShotRock is about I just want to remind him that the score is 1 to my english and still only 3 to Poddy Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jul 12 2013, 13:31

US Senior Open;
Seven Americans tied for the lead at minus 3, with a strong (if deliberately small in number) international contingent close behind:
Langer, Senior and Taipei's Lu on minus 2.
Montgomerie, Idoki and Romero on minus 1.
Elkington, Fowler, Chris Williams and Jamaica's Horrobin at even.

Others from Team GB:
Wesselingh: +1
Wolstenholme: +2
Barry Lane: +3
Chapman: +4

Looks a lovely course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri Jul 12 2013, 13:35

Mysti - Present and accounted for. Delighted to make the donation when (and if) the time comes!

I, too, had a hunch about an Englishman at Merion. Rose just tears up these main line tracks.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri Jul 12 2013, 13:49

Zachster OWGR top-30 watch in full bloom... :-)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 12 2013, 13:53

Nice one Sr...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jul 12 2013, 14:21

robo,
I'm sure GPB will note that de Jonge is do his best to keep up, on behalf of Sagarin no doubt.
PS: Went to watch the self-styled Houston Kid in concert with EmmyLou Wednesday evening. Had never seen him before but they rocked the joint - great evening!

Very happy to have both Zach and Camilo on my fantasy team this week, and my one-and-doner, Matt Jones, is off to a nice start also.

The cut looks sure to be at -2, which means a good round essential for Greg Owen (started well) and Brian Davis, while Russell Knox (needs at least a 69) and Karlsson (needs 68 minimum) can't afford to miss another cut.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jul 12 2013, 17:47

Lights out scoring at the John Deere and that minus 2 cut rapidly approaching minus 3.
Which is bad news for Robbie Karlsson who'll need to play his final seven holes in at least four under par. Tall order.

Last year's King of the Monday Qualies, Patrick Reed, is already in with a 63.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Jul 12 2013, 18:34

Brendon de Jonge was pretty high in the Sagarin Ratings, but its volatility is showing and he has fallen at least 10 spots in the last 6 weeks or so.

Tha's Something that you don't see in the OWGR. Once a player gets established, in the top 20, it takes an Tsunami to budge them.

The Zach Johnson effect. And King Louis effect. How is it that he is still ranked in the top 10?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Jul 12 2013, 21:57

Zach has the help of God. Can't beat that.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri Jul 12 2013, 22:26

Just seen Morgan Hoffmann's card... 8 at his second hole of the day, then went -10 for his last 15 holes to make the cut with a shot to spare

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri Jul 12 2013, 22:43

This guy must have the help of God as well...

Spoiler:

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jul 12 2013, 22:46

9 under through 9...

wow.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jul 12 2013, 23:22

Now 11 under after 12.

Russell Knox playing in the big leagues and he's run off seven birds in eight holes and still going.

I tell you, gael's little Russell is a player!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jul 13 2013, 00:38

Jinxed the poor guy. Needs to birdie his last hole for a 59.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Jul 13 2013, 00:57

And I jinxed Mr.Knox, three bogeys coming in and tied for 72nd when 71st would have been just fine.

How ya doin' Grumps - we've just enjoyed our first dry-ish week since early May?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jul 13 2013, 01:13

Had some heavy rain on and off this week Kwini. Be interesting to see what the course is like tomorrow. I know they weren't able to cut on Wednesday due to a storm on Tuesday so hopefully that's not the same for tomorrow.

Collins didn't manage a birdie but a round of 60 is still something pretty special.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Jul 13 2013, 10:46

kwinigolfer wrote:And I jinxed Mr.Knox, three bogeys coming in and tied for 72nd when 71st would have been just fine.
Didn't take his Deere antler spray...? drumroll

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Jul 13 2013, 13:46

Yup! No antler spray to be found at the Deere, Vijay apparently taking a few weeks off.
So, disappointment for Christian and Knox - unforgivable for Russell Knox to give three shots away after he'd reached the top 30. The John Deere may offer some of the lower prize-money on Tour but those FedEx points are the gold-standard and they are the same, regardless of purse. BIG chance wasted.
Team Sweden (Pettersson excepted) also taking the weekend off, but lots to play for for Brian Davis and Greg Owen.

And Colin Montgomerie starts Round 3 play twelve shots adrift of Michael anchorer Allen at the Senior Open. Paul Wesselingh and Roger Chapman down the road, but Wolstenholme and Barry Lane live to fight another day.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Jul 13 2013, 18:06

Let's see:
Camilo's plumbed to the bottom of the charts after opening so brightly on Thursday.
Greg Owen is taking one step forward and two back when he needs to press on as fast as he can.
Nice round by Brian Davis, and another like that tomorrow could well cement his place in to the BMW. Trouble is, he completely switched off this time last year.

It's tournaments like these that can make or break a season for the rank and file. Andres Romero and Aussie Nick O'Hern among those not taking advantage, but Jason Giveadoga Bohn could sew up his card with another 64 come Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Jul 13 2013, 20:15

Really packed leaderboard

Top 29 at the moment (10 under or better)

25 Yanks
1 Canadian
1 Aussie
1 Korean
1 Japanese

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 14 2013, 16:15

Get ready for a Quad Cities shoot-out today. Birdies and eagles out there already, but Summerhays (playing more quickly this week, maybe that helps him) and David Hearn have rather spread the field so it's going to take something exceptional from the middle of the pack to catch them.

The European challenge for the US Senior Open has faded away, only Bernhard Langer (18th) in the top 30. But Senior Tour player, Chris Williams is in 9th.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Jul 14 2013, 23:48

How did Zach Johnsons chip on 1st playoff hole NOT go in? An act of God?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 15 2013, 00:24

More likely an act of GPB.

Am enjoying this, preference for David Hearn or Zach, but they're all playing well. Birdies coming up on #17 though, you'd think.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 15 2013, 00:29

A 59 in the house on the web.com Tour, by the strangely named Will Wilcox.
Likely to fall a shot or two short however.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 15 2013, 01:03

Very impressive by Jordan Spieth.
Is he the next Tiger Woods?
Or the next Jamie Lovemark??

Assume he'll take his place at Muirfield. But someone needs to tell him pros don't normally miss so many crucial putts as Zach and David Hearn did.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next