The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Play the white man"

+2
Hoggy_Bear
NickisBHAFC
6 posters

Go down

"Play the white man" Empty "Play the white man"

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:03 pm

Im probably the only one who watches the show Coronation Street, but tonight there was an interesting scene in the rovers where Paul said "Play the white man" after a dispute over an incident in a game of darts. Llyod was far from impressed and accused Paul of being a racist.

So my point, is this actually being racist? If someone said it in your local pub what would you think? 20 years ago, nothing would of come across it.

If admin feel this could spark conflict (which it may do) please feel free to delete this thread OK 

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

"Play the white man" Empty Re: "Play the white man"

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:19 pm

I suppose it depends who it was said to. Don't watch Corrie, but is Lloyd black?
If so and it was said to him directly, I suppose it could be constued as racist, though I think even then it's a bit of a stretch.
Are we to eradicate any phrase pertaining to colour ('black sheep', for example)? While they may have racist connotations, for most people they are simply phrases or sayings, and are mostly used without any racist intent.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 13 Jul 2013, 1:41 pm

Llyod is black and know Paul said it without knowing Llyod and his daughter just entered the pub.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:29 pm

It is an out dated saying

one of the early ideas for it's conception is from the very early black and white movies were the good guy would be dressed in white and the bad guy dressed in black , so in that context no racist meaning
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat 13 Jul 2013, 3:34 pm

Kenny wrote:It is an out dated saying

one of the early ideas for it's conception is from the very early black and white movies were the good guy would be dressed in white and the bad guy dressed in black , so in that context no racist meaning

Other than the idea that white=good and black=bad.
However, as I say, I don't think most people even think of any racial connotations when using such phrases. So they might be unintentionally racist but that's about as far as it goes.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 13 Jul 2013, 6:43 pm

Everything is racist these days and only White people can be racist.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:23 am

it is strange how certain things are deemed racist yet others aren't .

My mate is a big rugby league fan who's team are Hull FC , they play in a black and white hooped kit so are known as the ' black and whites ' ,anyway he runs a juniors team who play in similar kit . He couldn't call his team the ' black and whites ' as they already have a juniors team so he wanted to call them the ' white and blacks ' but the league wouldn't allow it as that could be deemed racist .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 14 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm

Kenny wrote:
My mate is a big rugby league fan who's team are Hull FC , they play in a black and white hooped kit so are known as the ' black and whites ' ,anyway he runs a juniors team who play in similar kit . He couldn't call his team the ' black and whites ' as they already have a juniors team so he wanted to call them the ' white and blacks ' but the league wouldn't allow it as that could be deemed racist .

Thats crazy. Like some places not allowing Santa or anything religious at christmas for fear of upsetting non christians! The PC brigade have some kind of pathological disease.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 03 Aug 2013, 11:58 am

profitius wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Thats crazy. Like some places not allowing Santa or anything religious at christmas for fear of upsetting non christians! The PC brigade have some kind of pathological disease.

Except this has probably never actually happened other than in Daily Mail la la land

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:23 pm

As if there would be uproar over that remark, especially in a working class Manchester pub.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down