The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens plastic pitch; is it just an illusion, because to me it does appear to be peculiarly small?

+3
Irish Londoner
beshocked
kingelderfield
7 posters

Go down

Saracens plastic pitch; is it just an illusion, because to me it does appear to be peculiarly small? Empty Saracens plastic pitch; is it just an illusion, because to me it does appear to be peculiarly small?

Post by kingelderfield Mon 15 Jul 2013, 7:40 pm

This ones been bugging me for some time.

Now I obviously don't know the actual pitch size though previously I came across this link from the rugbynetworks site,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s104.htm?107,13196263

Now if I’m reading it correctly it confirms the dimensions as 96m x 69m - which is all well and good, though if correct then maybe a tad small. However this is not my point.

The point is this, does the pitch by way of its characteristics; its springiness, its spongy absorption and recoil, it’s give and bounce - does it in some way reduce a players ability to respond individually by way of pace and turn of foot, in comparison to the other players?

It just appears to me that though everyone seems to be moving quicker than say they would be if they were playing on a wet pitch in March, it’s as though the pitch has a dampening effect which equates in a narrower band than say that of a hard grass pitch which would allow for a greater differential depending on the force applied. Basically it’s as though the pace is actually taken out of the game by some equality of absorption and in so doing reduces the players/teams ability to exploit the space and so like huge dense gravity heavy objects unable to escape from each other.....and so the pitch appears smaller......its either that or just the way Sarries play....but seriously and honestly though they have their fair share of edges, I do really admire the ambition that has driven Saracens, and that has brought them to adopt this completely modern solution.

If this is a characteristic of a modern plastic (4G if you will) pitch, then I would predict alot more direct attack as the best way to combat the effect of reduced space out wide. We shall see, anyways unless someone can smuggle a very large measure or perhaps a lazer rule into the ground and so confirm the dimensions as above (I do think they are correct) then you will have to put up with my alternative perspective.

I don't know maybe it’s just me.......

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Saracens plastic pitch; is it just an illusion, because to me it does appear to be peculiarly small? Empty Re: Saracens plastic pitch; is it just an illusion, because to me it does appear to be peculiarly small?

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm

kingelderfield you'll have to ask the teams who have played on it.

I think the in goal area is smaller but other than that I don't see much of a problem with the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuN7bclN2w

Strettle scored a hatrick.

I don't think opposition have found it harder to score. E.g. Worcester scored 2 tries. Saints 3 etc.

I think Quins are the only opposing side to fail to score a try so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfEiWXUnbdE

Example of great break by Ben Ransom.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Saracens plastic pitch; is it just an illusion, because to me it does appear to be peculiarly small? Empty Re: Saracens plastic pitch; is it just an illusion, because to me it does appear to be peculiarly small?

Post by kingelderfield Tue 16 Jul 2013, 9:07 pm

Cheers B

Perhaps it is just a narrow pitch, which if is the case I think could easily be rectified as there does appear to be a yard or two intouch that could be used.

All in all I thinks its a really exciting addition to rugby and may very well be the way ahead for a significant proportion of the professional game. Time will tell.

Also it will be interesting to see how Cardiff go by way of comparision.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:51 am

Having been on the pitch it's quite firm but not as hard as a dry grass pitch but there's not really a lot of "bounce" - it feels a bit like a modern running track and is light years away from old style astroturf.
There may be the illusion of narrowness due to the track around the sides and the fact the Sarries tend to go direct and up the middle but it is conforming.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:37 am

How often does an articifical pitch need maintenance/renewal?  I assume rugby will still be rugby and that means a lot of digging in of studs and big heavy men srummaging the life out of it through a season.  It seems it could quite quickly become ragged (or less than visually appealing!) in certain areas over time?  

Do bad areas get replaced individually in squared cutouts?  Or do repairs need long pitch length strips.  

The words of a total artificial pitch novice of course! Wink But maybe someone will explain how maintenance works on those pitches given how heavy duty a sport rugby union is on natural turf

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 17 Jul 2013, 2:37 pm

September might be interesting should this dry spell last plus the possibility of water usage restrictions.

So far Barnet has only exposed to play with high water tables and wet (at best damp) topsoil conditions.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 17 Jul 2013, 2:40 pm

Apparently they're pretty heavy duty and can be driven over without damage, so it'd probably take a while to tear them up with studs.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 17 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

yappysnap wrote:Apparently they're pretty heavy duty and can be driven over without damage, so it'd probably take a while to tear them up with studs.

The PIP breast inserts were shown driven over in their promo ads.

They were good weren't they?

(No studs were shown in the promos to demonstrate live action).

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Thu 18 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

It's not an illusion, Its small for a RU pitch.
It's narrow and the in-goal areas are small as its sits inside the Running track at Copthall (Allianz Park)

However its legal and a lot of the pitches used in RWC 2015 will be the same due to the high number of footy grounds being used.

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down