The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby Championship Prospects

+23
kingelderfield
tigertattie
yappysnap
maestegmafia
rodders
boomeranga
BigTrevsbigmac
ChequeredJersey
aucklandlaurie
GloriousEmpire
nganboy
GunsGerms
Cyril
JmD
Taylorman
Hound of Harrow
emack2
dallym
fa0019
Jenifer McLadyboy
Artful_Dodger
Biltong
kiakahaaotearoa
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rugby Championship Prospects Empty Rugby Championship Prospects

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 17 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

Here is the schedule for the upcoming Rugby Championship:

Round KO Date/Time NZ Game Venue
Round 1 17-Aug-2013 10:05pm Australia Vs New Zealand ANZ Stadium, Sydney, Australia
Round 1 18-Aug-2013 1.00am South Africa Vs Argentina Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Round 2 24-Aug-2013 7:35pm New Zealand Vs Australia Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Round 2 25-Aug-2013 7:10am Argentina Vs South Africa Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza, Argentina
Round 3 7-Sep-2013 7:35pm New Zealand Vs Argentina Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand
Round 3 7-Sep-2013 10:05pm Australia Vs South Africa Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Australia
Round 4 14-Sep-2013 7:35pm New Zealand Vs South Africa Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand
Round 4 14-Sep-2013 10:05pm Australia Vs Argentina Subiaco Oval, Perth, Australia
Round 5 29-Sep-2013 3:00am South Africa Vs Australia Newlands Stadium, Cape Town, South Africa
Round 5 29-Sep-2013 11:40am Argentina Vs New Zealand Estadio Ciudad de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina
Round 6 6-Oct-2013 3:00am South Africa Vs New Zealand Coca-Cola Park, Johannesburg, South Africa
Round 6 6-Oct-2013 11:40am Argentina Vs Australia Estadio Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario, Argentina

One month until the kick-off so I thought an appropriate time to consider the prospects of each team. Before that, a couple of points about the fixtures and travel schedule. My understanding is that Sydney is the venue for the opening game of the Bledisole Cup matches and Australia is at a numerical advantage in terms of home matches in the series. My point is not so much that as frankly the Sydney game has a vocal Kiwi cheering section along with quite a few other Aussie venues. The next logical step from a Sydney game for NZ is a home game, which is against Australia. But then instead of travelling we get 2 more home games against Argentina and SA respectively. Meanwhile SA has come from their game at home against Argentina, a game away in Argentina, a game in Australia and then a game in NZ. That's infinitely more demanding as a travel schedule and I think it stems from this agreement between Australia and NZ that the first game is in Sydney. That means SA have to play Argentina home and away. Similarly, Australia get to play at home, away in NZ and then two home games. Seems a similar cushy travel schedule to ease yourself into the tournament. The question is would you want to get your travel out the way or have it at the closing stage of the tournament? Even though you might be physically more tired at the end of the tournament, I'd still much prefer to have my home games first up, build a points advantage and control your destiny in the closing stages. It seems wholly unfair to SA and Argentina to have their travel schedule each year in the first half of the tournament. I know this is only the second year of the tournament but there does appear to be a pattern and I think NZ and Australia benefit from this. What do you think?

So now to the prospects of each team.

NZ: The holders and with the advantage of the return of McCaw. Conrad Smith won't be taking his sabbatical until the end of the year and Carter has the option of taking some more time out at the end of the year but may choose to spend it with his new child or do a rugby lite travel experience. Regardless, NZ has its full complement.

I'm not sure on the injury status of Corey Jane and whether he will return in the RC. Ben Smith has been a revelation and has shown that Super form should be rewarded. Weepu may well be persisted with and Aaron Smith's form was pleasing against France. Perenara may well be brought on the November tour and TK Barlow seemed to play better against France than his brief but unconvincing performances in the NH last November. But that backline has a good deal of solidity to it. Injuries in the centres would be the big concern but there is pleasing depth at flyhalf and halfback where previously there was very little. I don't think Hansen will risk new centre partnerships until November when he has to find a replacement for Smith (which might be filled by his namesake with Jane going to the right wing) and Ranger is heading off to France so he might only be injury cover.

In the forwards, there are a lot more question marks. Will McCaw be match fit and in any kind of form? Cane is a backup along with Todd but they are obviously not of the same class. Messam will benefit from the return of McCaw but will Luata be tried and tested more, at least from a bench role? The breakdown was sketchy against an impressive French backrow and we lack physicality at 6 or at least do so at key moments in a match. We have 3 good locks in Whitelock, Romano and Retallick but after that the drop in class is worrying and even more so when the last two aforementioned locks are still growing and developing their game. The front row is also of concern. We have two experienced but aged hookers and an equally experienced and aged LH prop and a few other possibilities but none that inspires any great deal of experience.

So overall, a nice mix of experience and youth but a lot more solidity in the backs than in the forwards in general terms. Some definite weaknesses or concerns but generally I have been pleased with the way Hansen has gone about developing the team and looking to the future. As holders, NZ will be favourites whether that is deserved or not. Personally I think it is but I one thing is for sure: the way injuries stand at the moment, NZ is in for a much tougher tournament than last year when SA and Australia in particular were decimated by injuries.

Australia: A lost series but a new coach. Somehow I get the feeling our Aussie posters on here are more receptive to that than if they had won the series and retained their now former coach. The big question is what can McKenzie bring to the Wallabies that Deans did not? When you look at MacKenzie's record with the Reds against NZ franchises, it is an impressive record. Out of 19 games I think he has lost only 4 matches against NZ sides. Brisbane is a fortress for the Reds but there's something else behind that. I think what McKenzie can best offer is hope and belief. You can't help but feel inspired by that record. The Reds have not won in Christchurch since 1999 but I get the feeling if they were to pull off an upset win there, it would have a positive spillover effect into the national team. Irrespective of that result, McKenzie offers a fresh start. That applies to players like Cooper, Beale, JOC, Ioane that have been off form or out of favour for disciplinary reasons. That also applies to their dismal record over NZ in recent times. If McKenzie can extract the performances Australia have put in against SA in recent times over NZ, then confidence will grow and we all know what a dangerous beast a confident Wallaby is.

The big question is what does McKenzie do with the backline shuffle? If Cooper becomes the flyhalf again as you'd expect, what happens to JOC. Beale is best at fullback and Folau is worth a crack. Mogg and LLF impressed for me in the Lions series whereas Ioane flattered to deceive. So where do you put JOC and where does that leave Mogg and LLF. Personally, I'd put in LLF and leave Cooper to worry about his performance rather than the added responsibility of the goalkicking. Put JOC on the left wing and Folau on the right and AAC and LLF partnering the centres. Mogg can be a utility replacement.

The other big question is what to do with the forwards. Was the last Lions test an anomaly? Or could it happen again? I was impressed by Mowen in the Lions series. If Higganbotham returns I'd look to replace Palu at the back. He had a disappointing series for me and the Wallabies lacked his ball carrying ability. The other question is the openside flanker. Will Pocock be fit and if not Hooper or Gill? Or continue the Smith comeback fairytale? Personally I'd be looking to bring in Smith only for injury cover. McKenzie must look to the future and bring on Gill and Hooper. Can the front row compete or will they be exposed like they were in the third test? What impact will the new scrum laws being trialled in the RC have on the scrum and will they even up the scrums or will they still reward powerful scrums. A lot of unknowns in this area and McKenzie as a former test prop will undoubtedly be working tirelessly in this area. The question is will he be able to turnaround performance in a short time or will this be a work in progress?

SA. Meyer has a difficult few choices to make. He cannot consider overseas talent and players like Louw who were immense last year are not players easy to replace. He has a lot of young talent but he also still has a core senior talent from which to choose. Morne Steyn, JDV and Bryan Habana are in good form. Players like JP are not. So will he plump for experience or will he choose some young exciting players, notably in the backs, who have demonstrated an ability to be resourceful and unpredictable on attack? Two games first up against Argentina might see Meyer go for the second option and see how the young fellas perform. Any problems and he can revert to a more experienced line up. The real conundrum will be the next two rounds in Australia and NZ. SA have struggled to impose the game they want on Australia, particularly away from home. They got a good result last year at home but then were humbled to a large extent in the backs (youthful inexperienced players) by NZ. Meyer will surely bear that in mind and I can only see him plumping for a younger bolder selection if they seriously impress against Argentina.

In the forwards I see fewer problems. There is a drain of experience but there are such exciting players still to be picked that it's possible to gloss over those losses. Etzebeth is turning into such a commanding player that I think people in a few years will be saying Victor Who? There is power, size and technical ability and though there are still bold calls that Meyer can make, I think the selection headaches will come more for him in the backs.

Argentina: They came so close to getting a win last year but they'll be disappointed they didn't chalk up their win. In a way, it was the year to do it. Frankly it's not going to get any easier for them. It's difficult to talk about their prospects as they had a large number of players unavailable for the England series and I'll be honest and say I never watched any of those matches. To me it was pleasing that last year they incorporated an offloading game and they had some backs who were capable of opening up defences. They need to continue to do that as well as build on their traditional pack strength. We need Argie Fan to update us more on the team. It's disrespectful on my part to devote such little insight into their prospects but in a way all eyes are off them leading up to this tournament. Australia and NZ have the advantage of seeing two games against SA before they face them and at least SA have the advantage of a home game first up against them. The way the travel schedule is though, I think Argentina will struggle most with what they. At least SA is used to this kind of travel with Super rugby. Argentina are not and they are similarly not used to week in week out matches of this magnitude. It's a tall order for them but regardless they will not be taken lightly when the teams have to face them. They are well aware of what they're capable of doing to them if they don't prepare properly.

All in all an intriguing tournament awaits us. A lot of new players will be introduced and maybe new styles will be adopted by the teams. Injuries will play an important part but my hope is that we don't have anywhere near the amount of injuries we had last year. What are your thoughts on the teams' prospects?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Rugby Championship Prospects Empty Re: Rugby Championship Prospects

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 17 Jul 2013, 2:13 pm

Forgot to say that there's a two week break between Rounds 2 and 4. So that makes the travel schedule even sweeter for NZ.

Rounds 1 and 2. Sydney and Wellington.

Rounds 3 and 4. Hamilton, Auckland.

Rounds 5 and 6. La Plata, J'burg.

Compare that with other teams and that's the cushiest travel schedule you could ever imagine.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 3:11 pm

I think Meyer's decision should be a relatively simple one, pick youngsters no matter the result.

The front row of Beast, Bismarck and Jannie are still there and will be the first choice either way, with Adriaan Strauss as impact or sub, those four are experienced players and should front up.

The back up props is a bit of an issue, Meyer will insist on using Coenie Oosthuizen as a tight head which in my view will be his first mistake, he should be our second choice loose head, Nyakane is a decent option and will most likely be the other loose head.

So front row is sorted except for back tight head.

Locks should be Eben Etzebeth and Flip v d Merwe with Pieter Steph du Toit as impact sub. Andries Bekker and Juandre Kruger are off to greener pastures and should not be selected.

Back is a problem, albeit an exciting one, players such as Jean Deysel, Willem Alberts, Duane Vermeulen, Arno Botha, Siya Kolisi and Marcell Coetzee will be in the mix, if they aren't and Meyer selects Keegan Daniel one more time I will get the $h1t$

The biggest challenge is to find a balance and play smart at the breakdowns something we have all too often been outplayed at against referees not astute enough or keen enough to police it. We must adapt otherwise the combination really doesn't matter.

Scrumhalf again, Ruan Pienaar should not make part of the squad and Meyer should look at Jano Vermaak, Hougaard and Piet v Zyl. But I bet he will go with Ruan Pienaar.

Ten is a serious problem for us as Lambie is not in great form, Elton Jantjies will never be good enough and Johan Goosen is out for the season, that leaves Morne Steyn and he is leaving for France, so he mustn't be selected either.

Midfield, there is Jean de Villiers, JJ Engelbrecht and Jan Serfontein with Juan de Jongh in the back if needed. I wonder how Paul Jordaan's injury is coming along.

Wings is a major concern, JP Pietersen and Habana is leaving, so goodbye and thanks, in comes Bjorn Basson and perhaps Willie le Roux (if he doesn't play fullback), Mvovo is weak in positional play, and Rhule poor in defence. New blood is needed,

Fullback should be le Roux or someone else.

So we have an issue at back up for tight head, we have an issue of balance in our backrow, we have an issue at halfback, flyhalf and wings.

I doubt we will win more than 4 games max, hope for five, but then that is more a dream than anything else.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 17 Jul 2013, 3:16 pm

Although I don't follow a huge amount of Super Rugby, I think Ewen McKenzie looks like a fantastic coach. He would have been my choice for Ireland Head Coach had it not been for Joe Schmidt being almost tailor made for the role. I was amazed when it was insinuated in the Australian media that he shouldn't be Wallabies Head Coach on account of being a prop in his playing days when the Reds clearly play some of the most attacking running rugby in Super Rugby.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 17 Jul 2013, 3:17 pm

What do you make of the travel schedule BB? Seems to penalise Argentina and SA.

That is definitely a worrying amount of players leaving. NZ couldn't cover that many holes that's for sure.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 3:21 pm

WE are used to it Kia, whether you talking Super Rugby or Rugby Champioship we have been doing it for yonks now, so if we still complain about it, we should up and leave.

Yes, players leaving is a problem, in fact 10 of our current Boks are leaving or have left in the recent past, I read there is a rumour that Bismarck and Jannie have been receiving offers from France as well, but then I also read Bismarck wants to eye the Bok captaincy.

The problem isn't so much the guys leaving but the fact that we keep on selecting them.

We need to expose new blood.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 17 Jul 2013, 3:26 pm

I don't see why the tournament cannot start with NZ vs South Africa in South Africa and then they play in Argentina and then they come home for two tests for example. I guess that leaves Australia in a game against Argentina at home and then either in Australia (perth wouldn't be too bad for SA) and then Argentina or Australia travelling away.

NZ seems to have a big advantage in the travel schedule the way the tournament is currently organised.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 3:29 pm

You still need to win 6 matches mate, how you go about it or in what order really shouldn't be the issue.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm

It takes a very special team to win all six matches mate. Very Happy 

You're more accepting of it than I'd be. Maybe you're used to getting the raw deal in this SANZAR relationship. Hug 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

Well, truth be told if SARU don't have the ability to Negotiate theselves a better deal than a three way split of the revenue how could you expect them to negotiate better travelling schedules?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm

Mr Tong. Any idea if Kirshner will be in the squad? Or will he be released to Leinster after super rugby finishes?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:23 pm

I sure hope not mate, Willie le Roux should be in, but Kirchner is a favourite of Meyer so you never know.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:47 pm

When they announcing the squad?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:48 pm

Jennifer, you can take sideshow bob early if you'd like. Decent player, no x factor but good all round player.

I reckon Willie will retain the jersey myself.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:59 pm

That's grand. Just talk mr Mayer into it now and we are laughing.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:01 pm

Perhaps we can inject some x factor. by all accounts he had a bit when he was younger. Perhaps his style will suit us.

I live in hope.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:03 pm

One month till kick off so I think at least three weeks before we hear any squad announcements.

Anyone able to confirm the injuries? Can Pocock, Timani, Jane play for example. Any injuries in SA at the moment that are a big concern?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:26 pm

Injuries at the moment, but I don't know the status.

Duane Vermeulen
Arno Botha
Pieter Steph du Toit
Willem Alberts is iffy
Jan Serfontein
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:27 pm

Oh and Pierre Soies, but I doubt anyone cares.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:32 pm

Alberts is iffy. Is that his injury or his 'status'? Whistle 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:47 pm

His fitness, he keeps on getting niggly injuries, chances are he won't play all six matches, it is inevitable he will break down at some point.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

Biltong wrote:His fitness, he keeps on getting niggly injuries, chances are he won't play all six matches, it is inevitable he will break down at some point.
Bit of a Stephen Ferris? Too tough for his own good?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:55 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Biltong wrote:His fitness, he keeps on getting niggly injuries, chances are he won't play all six matches, it is inevitable he will break down at some point.
Bit of a Stephen Ferris? Too tough for his own good?

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Thu 18 Jul 2013, 3:03 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:One month until the kick-off so I thought an appropriate time to consider the prospects of each team. Before that, a couple of points about the fixtures and travel schedule. My understanding is that Sydney is the venue for the opening game of the Bledisole Cup matches and Australia is at a numerical advantage in terms of home matches in the series.

I think that NZ has the third Bledisloe match this year in Dunedin.

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 18 Jul 2013, 5:59 am

To early to judge the 4Ns and a good start is vital, having watched little this year
I am loathe to comment.
BUT judging by Super form should be more even much as I`d love another 6-0
NZwinnig season unlikely.
Injuries will be the key,i`m always a bit nervous about OZ away first up get
a win there under the belt.
Then the Bledisloe is probably tied up again taking nothing for granted but to
win in NZ is very rare for anyone.
The 3rd Bledisloe REALLY should be ditched it is a match to far.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 18 Jul 2013, 7:33 am

So it alternates then the home advantage dallym. Good to know. What doesn't appear to change is the first match in Sydney. In a way that sets up the home games for NZ thereafter.

Winning the Sydney match is vital. Then you have two or three home games to consolidate your lead and put pressure on the other teams. Always a tough finish in SA, probably at altitude but by then you hope you've done enough not to let a potential loss prove crucial.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu 18 Jul 2013, 3:51 pm

Good article kia - thanks for teeing up the series.
clap

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 18 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm

The 29 Sept match in JBurg is our match of the year and is really the acid test for this years AB side.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 19 Jul 2013, 1:53 pm

Difficult to argue with that Tman in terms of a challenge. Jburg doesn't get much tougher.

The Sydney test for me sets the tone for the tournament. Win that and you knock the Aussie confidence and you set up the home games. Lose that and all the teams get a lift, not just Oz.

Later in the year, there are some challenging tests against France Ireland and England. So close out with no autumn tests in 2015 it's important to make a statement and snuff out feelings of closing the gap. We'll be without a few players but win the tests and Twickenham seems an anomaly. Lose any of the games and the NH teams will grow in belief.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 20 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

I think England will take care of itself...the ABs will be up for that for obvious reasons. Its a Schmidt Ireland that I'm more concerned about. Deans knocked over Henrys ABs at his first attempt as well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

I have followed the Crusaders late S15 run over the period since my return about 4 weeks with Sky.Home advantage always was considered the key both in this and the3/4Ns and
tho the Reds had several wins over them.
To there credit it was always at Home,Crusaders since 2008 have mostly reached the KO
stages but NOT at home.Significantly tho they have had away successes in SA in the KO
stages.Bulls v Chiefs final in NZ still the most likely scenario.
A New coach and a rested OZ Squad first up for NZ,in OZ to set the tone,a predictable
Nz Team.Crusaders Pack plus Messam,Vito,Hore,Cane,Woodcock,Retalick,Ben Franks.
Tho myself MattTodd at 7 with McCaw playing right and left.
Pick any one from 5 at SH myself Andy Ellis would be starting but he`s the forgotten man
Nonu,Conrad Smith in midfield,Ben Smith,Savae,Dagg.Bench Cruden,Barratt,Renee Ranger.
Outside bolters Perenara,Brad Shields,Tom Taylor,Adam Crotty,the Marshall brothers.
IF you want to fire up Dan Carter BREAK HIS HAND.
He`s on fire and kicking in the 90% region too !!!go the AB`S:yahoo: Whistle king 

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:14 pm

The side is getting rather predictable I agree Alan and that in some way suggests stale to me, but not completely. I'd still have Luke Braid in and think thats the glaring omission this year. I think he'll be the premier 7 by the time the WCup rolls around- A Braid, McCaw and Read back 3 would be my pick...just dont think McCaws going to have the required pace for 7 in 2015- 6 being his best chance- perhaps going down the Michael Jones path, who was forced into it through injury rather than age.

DC's going well and with Cruden and Barrett we have some high quality 10's around. Agree with the back three, they just need to decide on B Smiths final position. Dagg carries more x factor at FB but theres no denying Smiths utter determination and pace.

Whitelok continues to shine and he'd be up there with the best locks I'd say.

McCaw gets a pass with his subbing last night. Tom Marshall looks good and his move to the Chiefs will be welcome out wide- reminds of Drew Mitchell.

Savea just seems to have quietly slotted into a first on the list position on one wing, we seem to be lucky that way with wingers...wouldnt swap him for anyone

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sun 21 Jul 2013, 4:36 pm

Biltong is there nothing nothing to be said for experience and leadership in some cases? Unless you think South Africa have absolutely no chance of doing well, it seems a bit brash to go for youngsters near enough all round. Outside of the front row and Jean de Villiers, there wouldn't be a whole lot of meaningful experience in that side.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 21 Jul 2013, 5:33 pm

Absolutely correct JMD, however our second row pairings over the past year apart from Flip v d Merwe were youngsters anyway with no experience. Our backrow the same thing.

The evolution of our back line is the next step. Even if it costs us wins there is no time left to hang on to players and not expose new talent. We might as well take the plunge now.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 21 Jul 2013, 7:10 pm

You don't gain a lot from seeing how young players perform if you throw them all in at the same time.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 21 Jul 2013, 7:23 pm

Hougaard has 27 test caps (age 25)
Patrick Lambie has 23 caps (age 22)
Jean de Villiers has 87 caps (age 32)
JAn Serfontein has 3 caps (age 20)
JJ Engelbrecht has 3 caps (age 21)
Willie le Roux has 3 caps (age 23)
Jurgen Visser 0 caps (age 20)

If you pick that backline you have enough experience to take a chance. The only real risk is Visser at 15. The others have shown what they can do, you could even bring Aplon in for a year and let Visser play as a sub.

If and when Frans Steyn gains form you can slot him at 15, he is experienced and only 25 years old.

That is how I would approach it.

There is still Basson, Mvovo and Rhule (if he works on his defence) for the back three, Jaco Taute and Johan Goosen to come back, Paul Jordaan who has a lot of promise, Juan de Jongh in the midfield and Sarel Pretorius.

Out of this group you will have a seriously talented backline with a number of them capable of interchanging positions.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 22 Jul 2013, 5:48 am

Judging by the S15 reports I read during my enforced absence there is no shortage of backs in ANY of the SH sides.Let alone SA,the SA sides have been scoring tries by using backs even the Bulls.
.Frannie Steyn is indeed competent at 15 as are many of your backs BUTis it a case of Utility is Futility?
Get a side settled  with players slotting into one position is better than messing them about
O`Connor and Beale ,not to mention players like Tait and Cipriani as examples.
BUT how many NH based players will be picked on reputation ?BOKS are never an easybeat
and the Elephant in the Corner is only 2 years away.
A Chiefs v Bulls Final in Nz looks likely on the form book,better that than a Crusaders v Bulls in SA.BUT if any team on current form could do it the Crusaders might.
Current S15 setup gives the top teams too much advantage.
A bye and a home Semi should be enough advantage BOTH winners should face a Final on NEUTRAL territory.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 22 Jul 2013, 6:51 am

I am beginning to think there should be no finals, if you have a closed conference system and have the top three teams from each nation go through to a super 9's round robin, then who ever wins the log race should be the winners.

I know the bean counters will say the finals bring in the money, but 99% of the time the winners is the log leader anyway.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 22 Jul 2013, 6:55 am

Morning Alan, the backline I showed above plays everyone in their specialist position anyway.

Hougaard has 27 test caps (age 25)
Patrick Lambie has 23 caps (age 22)
Jean de Villiers has 87 caps (age 32)
JAn Serfontein has 3 caps (age 20)
JJ Engelbrecht has 3 caps (age 21)
Willie le Roux has 3 caps (age 23)
Jurgen Visser 0 caps (age 20)

The back up players can provide cover in more than one position.

Frans Steyn - 12, 15
Jaco Taute - 13, 15
Paul Jordaan - 13, 14

Then the rest are specialists.

Basson, Mvovo, Rhule - 11, 14
de Jongh - 13
Goosen - 10
Pretorius and Piet v Zyl - 9

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 26 Jul 2013, 8:46 am

The toxic environment has been deemed fit enough to breathe again and Cooper has been reinstated in the squad. Never a dull moment with him so glad to see him back.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 26 Jul 2013, 10:47 am

Watching the Reds  v Crusaders thought Cooper had a good game,played to the gameplan well.Kicked his goals,sound tactical kicking,good under the high ball,not his fault the forwards were outplayed.Naïve gameplan by the Coaches Crusaders defence under the High ball is neigh on perfect,this weekend big one for SH.
Kings v Lions perhaps the most important,Bulls v Chiefs final in NZ.Crusaders fan but a NZ based Final is the best result for another NZ win.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Jul 2013, 11:04 am

I will be supporting Argentina and Australia.

Wish list:
Australia to win.
Argentina to get at least two wins.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 26 Jul 2013, 11:06 am

You pragmatist Alan! Crusaders all the way! To hell with rhyme and reason. Yahoo

Fair enough GG. Let's see how a new coach is able to wipe the slate clean in terms of results against NZ. Argentina always have their fans. A win or two would be great for their self belief and confidence.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Jul 2013, 11:07 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:The toxic environment has been deemed fit enough to breathe again and Cooper has been reinstated in the squad. Never a dull moment with him so glad to see him back.

Wow shocker, McKensie reintroduces Cooper into the squad.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Jul 2013, 11:30 am

Despite what Linebreaker might tell you I want Australia to do well. However, they really need to sort out the L'oreal (because Im worth it) culture amongst players, particularly the backs. It has been around forever. McKensie probably is the guy to do this Id say as he seemed to know what he was at with the Reds. He even apointed a life coach for Cooper.

Wish list:
Improve attitudes.
Rotation - Impossible to win anything without rotation.
Consistency.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 26 Jul 2013, 4:24 pm

Reading about antics versus Lions 3rd Test,Deans fired ,New Coach not on board,some of the
younger players antics were appalling.O`Connor an awesomely talented player dumped and
finding few takers in Super sides.Toulon next the bad boys hideaway shades of Collins and Luaki.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 26 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

GunsGerms wrote:I will be supporting Argentina and Australia.

Wish list:
Australia to win.
Argentina to get at least two wins.

big goals...Id expect neither to eventuate. Argie holds no surprise factor this year. One home victory at best. Oz...be a huge turnaround and Coopers form just isnt up to this level. The introduction of Henry Speight to the scene will be worth watching, fabulous winger just waiting for residency to kick in.

ABs are still the ones to beat and have very good depth this year, especially at 9, 10 wings and FB.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 30 Jul 2013, 9:43 am

All Blacks squad:

Backs - Israel Dagg, Charles Piutau, Julian Savea, Ben Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Rene Ranger, Francis Saili, Conrad Smith, Beauden Barrett, Daniel Carter, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith, Piri Weepu.

Forwards - Steven Luatua, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Brad Shields, Matt Todd, Victor Vito, Luke Romano, Jeremy Thrush, Samuel Whitelock, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Tony Woodcock, Dane Coles, Andrew Hore, Keven Mealamu.

Aaron Cruden, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Liam Messam, Sam Cane, Brodie Retallick and Ben Afeaki all played against France and are expected to be included in that squad.

Good to see TJ included. Todd deserves a go ahead of Cane based on form and McCaw should continue his bench appearances, covering the back row. Luata needs to see game time and interesting to see Ranger has been selected even though he's bound for France.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:56 am

Gee Latimer has to be one of those really unlucky 7s that NZ just keeps producing. He starts ahead of Cane, gets to/wins 2 Super 15 finals and is ranked behind McCaw, Cane, Todd, Braid. Hell Vito has more chance of being an AB 7 than Latimer.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 31 Jul 2013, 7:26 am

What did Halai do wrong at the AB training camp? He was impressive for Auckland and in form that deserved consideration and then was quietly sent home from the training camp and not considered again all year.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next