The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaking out on a disturbing trend in rugby

+13
RubyGuby
Artful_Dodger
Biltong
Looseheaded
HammerofThunor
SecretFly
LordDowlais
lostinwales
Notch
Geordie
Cyril
Dontheman
kiakahaaotearoa
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Speaking out on a disturbing trend in rugby Empty Speaking out on a disturbing trend in rugby

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Rugby is a sport played by people of different sizes. Depending on where your position is on the field, rugby can have a varying impact on your physical appearance. If you play in the forwards, the ears are a good indication of where you play. The state of your jersey at the end of the game often is an indication of the level of contribution you have made during the game.

There is a new breed of player who wishes to confuse the public in the assessment of their contribution. Before you were able to see such players confined to the forwards. It didn't matter so much then. It matched their gnarled image in terms of physicality and appearance. There was nothing deliberate about it, other than letting nature take its course. No attempt to craft it into something slicker and more appealing to the female supporters. Indeed, because of this deliberate indifference, maybe there were some who felt drawn to these types of players. Their base animal instincts kicked in and there was a strange allure much like the last Tsarina of Russia felt towards a certain priest with mythical powers. From a rugby perspective, you could appreciate or at least acknowledge an advantage to doing this. In the forwards, intimidation is a big part of the game and what better way to send out a message of intent and intimidation than to do what these players have done. I have no problem with this and actually think there are quite a few players who have benefited from doing so.

However, I feel I must speak out on a plague that is currently afflicting a disturbing amount of players in the backs. Players who have no right to do what they are doing. Players who are fooling no one but themselves. You might argue that there are a few whose image may be enhanced by doing what they're doing. Yet often when we try to move away from an image or stereotype, we tend to swing too far in the other extreme. I watched the Reds vs Crusaders match last night and felt that things had gone too far. The time has come to speak out. Let's pretend no longer that this sham can continue. The IRB should step in and stamp out this vile practice that is creeping into our beloved game. Rather than try to look all the same, we should celebrate that every player has a specific role on the field and that the 15 players are not all the same and possess the same characteristics.

There are players who are not there for their brawn or their aggression. Others possess guile and trickery. Yet trickery with their hands and their feet. There is a growing section who are trying to convince us of something they are not. Well it's time they knew they are not fooling anyone except themselves. It's high time they realised that our patience for such charlatanry is well and truly spent. We demand no more. They need not return to our perception of what they should look like. But they have to realise that they cannot be something they are not. You cannot make a striking duck out of a swan nor can you make a bear out of a wily fox. It's time these players faced up to the facts and return to their previous form and forget about their delusions of being something they quite evidently can and never will be.

Do you know of what I speak?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Speaking out on a disturbing trend in rugby Empty Re: Speaking out on a disturbing trend in rugby

Post by Dontheman Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:14 pm

No idea

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Speaking out on a disturbing trend in rugby Empty Re: Speaking out on a disturbing trend in rugby

Post by Cyril Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Does it involve combinators?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 pm

The answer is staring at you in the face...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Rugby becoming like rugby league...every player is the same..??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 pm

You're thinking along the lines of the physical Geordie but I'm talking about a very specific physical aspect. Not all the players have these physical attributes but before they used to belong to a much narrower group.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Scrum caps for players with a number higher than 5 on their backs. I hear ya.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Now you're thinking along the right lines Notch even though you're wrong...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Scrum caps make sense - that or beards

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Part of you makes sense lostinwales. The top half or the bottom half I couldn't tell you.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Flashy boots?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:36 pm

That is an ugly trend Griff but not the one of which I speak. Scrum caps is a bit harsh but seeing as I never wore one I can sympathise with that sentiment.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Part of you makes sense lostinwales. The top half or the bottom half I couldn't tell you.

It seems I often have that problem

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 pm

You speak the truth though. You just don't know it.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Hair cuts?!

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 pm

And best leave Mrs LostinWales out of this... Whistle 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:40 pm

If you were a GPS app Griff I'd be saying we were arriving at the destination. It's just that you're not aware of what is the final destination.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Forwards with long, coiffed hair? E.g. Richard Hibbard!

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Leave the forwards out of it. They are behind in terms of evolution but that doesn't mean they can't be brutally effective in what they do on the rugby field. My beef is with the backs who should know better. We can all laugh at those with hair product, tattoos or shaven bodies. Certainly those with orange hue. But these players I speak out against have gone too far.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 pm

The truth has already been spoken but I want conviction in your voice when you tell me the answer. There can be no doubting or middle ground when it comes to this abhorrence.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhh.FFS, just tell me what you are on about mun.steam 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Yes that's the level of conviction I want from you LD when you add your voice to mine in speaking out against this vile practice. clap 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Is it backs trying to make themselves look all tough and menacing with a caveman style beard, especially bad when you're a 5'8" 11 stone scrum half???

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Here's all the proof you need. http://www.3news.co.nz/Buoyant-mood-at-Crusaders-HQ/tabid/317/articleID/305905/Default.aspx?ref=vid_2012-11-22

But the main culprit was on the opposing team and I suspect he had one of his worst games because he was simply trying to be something he is clearly not.

And what would your opinion be on people like that Griff?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Don' tell us!

I've just arrived and I have to be given time to guess right!!! It'smy right!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:21 pm

There is time for all of us to unite on this Secret. But we must be quick in mobilising against them before their numbers grow too strong. Do not delay. They are growing right before our eyes...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

So what's the guts, is it growing a beard?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:31 pm

You must speak not only from the guts but also from the heart to know the true answer ebop.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Ha, cheeky fokker, it's beards ain't it? Can't be shaving eyebrows, only one player does that bless him.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 pm

I can't tell you what it is. The answer lies within even though it does not.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 pm

He said no to beards three or four times.................... did he?

He's talking so riddly that I really can't be certain of anything.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Casual handses in suit pocketses?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Teeth

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:47 pm

The worst offender is in these video highlights:

Turn the sound down if you dislike the sound of commentators reaching climax.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:20 pm

tattoos on legs?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 pm

I am assuming you are talking about scoring tries?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Your assumption BB is making a donkey out of you and me...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 pm

I thought it was an A$$? laughing 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:39 pm

I still get the feeling it has to do with actions on field rather than appearance.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Depending on your interpretation and personal beliefs or the laws where you live, having sex with an ass can lead to a variety of consequences.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I think someone didn't get enough attention as a child

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I'll tell my wife you said that, she calls me an ass all the time. Whistle 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Is it football style celebrations when or after scoring trys?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Crotty does have the ugliest beefiest beard on a backline player I have ever seen.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:48 pm

I shall leave this thread open to interpretation and speculation. Off to the gym and when I come back I'll open another thread to get across my particular standpoint.

In the meantime know that it cannot be a lie if you believe it to be the truth.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 pm

Confucious says man who leaves others hanging will soon be hung out to dry.

Well it wasn't confucious, it was me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 am

Confucius is dead. He was hung out to dry centuries ago.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:59 am

Run 
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Confucius is dead. He was hung out to dry centuries ago.

I think you're confusing him with BOD

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 am

All backs should have bushy sideburns.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Confucius made the mistake of confusing himself with BOD.  Thus he was quickly hung out to dry by a well placed lightening bolt from D4.

There is only one true BOD.

PS -  Is this thing still going on without an answer?

Backs trying to stop rampaging forwards on their own????

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next