The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will captain Australia in the Ashes in Australia?

+2
Stella
bradman99.94
6 posters

Go down

Who will captain Australia in the Ashes in Australia?  Empty Who will captain Australia in the Ashes in Australia?

Post by bradman99.94 Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 13:10

You know the way it’s likely to go: England win 4 or 5 nil, the whole tour continues in the same chaotic way and Clarke, either just because he’s lost or because he’s utterly worn down by all the rubbish around him, resigns as captain at the end of this series. Fine tactician but apparently poor man manager. Who are the likely contenders to step up? I can’t see any natural candidates certainly within the current line up

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Who will captain Australia in the Ashes in Australia?  Empty Re: Who will captain Australia in the Ashes in Australia?

Post by Stella Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 13:32

Siddle is the only player who's place isn't in doubt, so him.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Who will captain Australia in the Ashes in Australia?  Empty Re: Who will captain Australia in the Ashes in Australia?

Post by Mike Selig Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 14:03

I'd like to see Siddle take on more of a leadership role with the young fast bowlers; I think it'll be hard for him to do that and be captain.

Back in 2010/11 I predicted that eventually Steve Smith would captain Australia, and I still think he will in time, but obviously he can't take over until he sorts out a few issues in his game and secures his place.

Watson could be an option, but I think that would be a massive mistake. He is too self-centered (which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but doesn't work as a captain).

A couple of more left-field choices:
- Rogers, if he can secure his starting line-up. Purely as a stop gap for a couple of years until Smith is ready, but he's captained Middlesex and done very well with the younger guys there, and has the advantage of knowing his game well enough that he can concentrate on the captaincy.
- Bailey: has captaincy experience. Of course not in the side yet, but he could be brought into the middle-order - worth remembering he wasn't in the T20 side until he was named captain, could Australia do the same with the test side? Although how some parts of the dressing room would take that (cough Watson)...
- Cowan has been touted as captaincy material, but like Bailey isn't in the side. Unlike Bailey, I'm not sure he'd bring a lot to the side.

Warner was ear-marked as future captaincy material also, but of course given his recent misdemeanors. Nevertheless Ponting had his issues early on in his career, and went on to be statistically the best captain of all time, so...

Having said that I think Clarke may hang out there a bit longer.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 14:15

Steve Smith was the first name that came to mind when I read the title of the post. Glad to see there are others thinking on those lines. Among all the young players Australia are trying out, him and Warner are the 2 with that look of something extra about them. Perhaps Clarke will stay on a bit longer, may be up to the end of the double header Ashes, and by that time hopefully Smith will be able to establish himself. I don't see anyone else from the present squad being able to take over, if it comes to that, I'd go for George Bailey.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 14:35

I don't think Clarke's place is really in danger... he is still relatively new to the job and seems liked by everybody at CA. Even if they lost 10-0 (which I still don't believe to be particularly likely) then it is hard to say that it would have been his fault, particularly now that he's separated himself from the crazy selection committee.

If he does go, and he probably won't go on for too many more years because of his back, then Smith is very possible. But he isn't nearly ready yet. In an emergency Haddin would take short-term charge; if they wanted somebody for two or three years then they might look to Bailey.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 16:18

Phil Hughes for captain Whistle

Seriously, I don't think he'll lose it for this series. If they take a battering both home and away, then probably.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 16:19

wont happen, dosent matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 16:37

CF wrote:wont happen, dosent matter.

End of debate Laugh 

Might do???
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down