The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive

+3
Welshmushroom
Luckless Pedestrian
munkian
7 posters

Go down

Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive  Empty Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive

Post by munkian Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:42 pm

Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive

Former Wales captain Gareth Davies is poised to become the new chief executive of Newport Gwent Dragons, Walesonline can reveal.

The expected appointment of the big-hitter, which follows the arrival of Lyn and Kingsley Jones to head up the coaching team at Rodney Parade, will send shockwaves around Welsh rugby and shows the growing ambition of the Dragons.

Ex-outside-half Davies, 57, has held a number of top jobs since being capped 21 times by Wales, five as skipper, and being a Lion in South Africa in 1980.

He has chaired the Sports Council for Wales, been head of sport at BBC Wales and a commissioning editor at S4C, chief executive of Cardiff Athletic Club and Cardiff RFC, director of Welsh affairs for the Royal Mail and head of head of International Business Wales for Australia and New Zealand, promoting economic development and inward investments.

Davies ends his tenure as Dean of the Carnegie Faculty at Leeds Metropolitan University today. He has also been on the board of Leeds RFC.

The Dragons are believed to have the smallest debt of Wales' four professional rugby regions and are reaping the financial rewards of building a new grandstand and extensive hospitality facilities at their Newport lair.

Their current chief executive Chris Brown, who was brought in to restructure the business at the Dragons, announced some time ago he was stepping down after completing his task.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive  Empty Re: Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:50 pm

Saying this will 'send shockwaves around Welsh rugby' is typically hyperbolic of the Western Mail. As for whether it's a good appointment, we'll have to wait and see. Certainly, he wouldn't be coming on board unless he thought we were going places.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive  Empty Re: Former Wales captain Gareth Davies to be named Newport Gwent Dragons chief executive

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:51 pm

I actually think not overspending is smart. Look at the Scottish sides for example. They had been very weak initially and the SRU only increased funding once the debt was under control. So they accepted they couldn't compete for a while and waited. Now they are reaping that reward with bigger budgets than the Welsh Sides and as a whole, stronger squads.

Dragons worked on improving the training facilities and the stadium which have more long term benefits than signing short term superstars. Now with everything coming together they can slowly release money in the Budget on players.

That said I would still rather see us use our money wisely as its rare that the big cheque players payoff. Look at Hook for example, given that he's on 400K a year, he's hardly repaid Perpignan for that kind of cash.

Its probably better to employ Leicester's model of signing players before they become household names.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:53 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Saying this will 'send shockwaves around Welsh rugby' is typically hyperbolic of the Western Mail. As for whether it's a good appointment, we'll have to wait and see. Certainly, he wouldn't be coming on board unless he thought we were going places.

There is starting to look like a very good team around the Dragons backroom guys... Lyn jones and Kingsley are amazing signings... There are some talented players in the squad, very young guys who want to prove themselves. Dragons future looks good to me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm

I'm scarily optimistic (aslong as we beat the Turks) Wales 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm

Very interesting, and very promising. Agreed that this sort of person would not come unless they've either a) seen something at the Dragons that suggests potential or b) been sold a concept for the future that seems appealing. Certainly this is another signal that we're headed in the right direction.

Also, there's a clear relationship between being the least in debt and being the worst region! We're better off financially because we've spent less and therefore had poorer players, and the knock on effect is that we've finished consistently lower in the leagues than everyone else (in Wales). However, if that now means that we're in a better position to kick on then it is sort of a 2 fingers up to those who called for us to be disbanded for an apparent 'lack of ambition' - it's not a lack of ambition to keep the books balanced, although I can see that it could look that way sometimes. It's not always great when you see the other regions spending and getting good players, but it's nice to not bankrupt ourselves keeping up with the Jones'.

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 31 Jul 2013, 4:39 pm

munkian wrote:I'm scarily optimistic (aslong as we beat the Turks) Wales 

LOL Never! on a serious note can't help but be impressed at what's happening at RP. Sound foundations with GD, Lyn & Kingsley & an improving playing squad. Happy to see it happen, a strong Gwent is good for all of Welsh rugby.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 Jul 2013, 4:51 pm

Seriously, just a 1 point win would do me. I think you started nailing us when JD2 started palying for you regularly, it was scary watching him for the first time.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:10 pm

Misread the title and thought it said Gareth Delve, thought that would be stunning!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Aug 2013, 7:51 am

munkian wrote:Seriously, just a 1 point win would do me. I think you started nailing us when JD2 started palying for you regularly, it was scary watching him for the first time.

He had a stormer the first time I saw him at Dave Parade. Scored a try from almost halfway and I think he either scored another or created one (after being sin-binned for what was deemed a dangerous tackle).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 Aug 2013, 8:59 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
munkian wrote:Seriously, just a 1 point win would do me. I think you started nailing us when JD2 started palying for you regularly, it was scary watching him for the first time.

He had a stormer the first time I saw him at Dave Parade. Scored a try from almost halfway and I think he either scored another or created one (after being sin-binned for what was deemed a dangerous tackle).

Thats the one, halfway try from nothing, and we weren't even THAT bad then Wink 

Ok, lets beat the Blues first , slowly slowly catchy monkey
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Aug 2013, 9:04 am

I'm gutted I'll be missing the Scarlets game in September. I come back from Portugal on the Sunday, but I bet it'll be a Friday night kick-off.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 Aug 2013, 9:15 am

Very probably Rolling Eyes 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 01 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm

yappysnap wrote:Misread the title and thought it said Gareth Delve, thought that would be stunning!

Had the pleasure to speak to Delve whilst out in Melbourne for the Lions and when asked didn't he fancy coming to Dave for a few season he said that we already have a veryu good No8 there who would keep him out of the side.

When pushed a little bit more he unfortunately he said he hasn't had any contact from any of the Regions and as he cannot renew his visa in Australia he has to move on.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Aug 2013, 7:54 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Misread the title and thought it said Gareth Delve, thought that would be stunning!

Had the pleasure to speak to Delve whilst out in Melbourne for the Lions and when asked didn't he fancy coming to Dave for a few season he said that we already have a veryu good No8 there who would keep him out of the side.

When pushed a little bit more he unfortunately he said he hasn't had any contact from any of the Regions and as he cannot renew his visa in Australia he has to move on.

Toby and Ieuan are better players than Delve for the Dragons. So don't waste your money.

There are some good lads in the squad. Front rowers have to step up a bit but there is some real talent.

Hopefully what looks like a great coaching team will really help too...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 03 Aug 2013, 1:07 am

Maes,

A fully fit Delve would be in my match day squad anyday and you only have to talk to any Gloucester fan or someone from Melbourne Reds to see what esteem as a player and leader he is held in. The Reds were desperate to hold onto him but he's not allowed to extend his visa any longer

Unfortunately his time has come and gone now so hes taking the money
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down