The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Careers on the Line at Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

+17
lorus59
Diggers
Shotrock
GPB
beninho
goldwolf
navyblueshorts
MontysMerkin
Bob_the_Job
MustPuttBetter
puligny
JAS
super_realist
McLaren
robopz
pedro
kwinigolfer
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Careers on the Line at Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Careers on the Line at Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:01 pm

1).A melodramatic statement, perhaps, but that's what this week's "Wyndham Championship" in Greensboro, North Carolina, is (mostly) all about. One golfer, though, whose career looks secure is Jason Dufner so let's first look back at last week's PGA Championship at Rochester's Oak Hill.

2).Congrat's to Duff Daddy, a well deserved win, as emphatic in its own way as Mickelson's Open Championship. Good to see Keegan Bradley among the very first to congratulate the guy he beat in Atlanta's play-off for the 2011 Championship, a strangely rare sight of esprit de corps among US Tour players.

3).Oak Hill seemed to hold its own remarkably well as a true Championship test - albeit that softish greens after Friday morning's unrelenting rain perhaps made for a bit more target golf than the PGA might have liked. Congrat's also to Doncaster's very own Kerry Haigh for setting the course up as a wonderfully fair test.

4).What of the golfers Dufner beat?
~Furyk: 54-hole leader played well in his 500th Tour start but was out-golfed by Dufner - no shame in that, but Furyk will be disappointed that he's still adrift in the race for a Presidents Cup spot. He will, however, earn an invitation from Billy Payne for the 2014 Masters.
~Stenson continued his almost incredible run of summer form. Will this hot streak continue, or is that Henrik's best?
~Blixt: Nervous to start with, played some extraordinary shots to keep his tournament going, and one to keep an eye on as his career develops.
~McIlroy: Undone by the very dodgy fifth green on Sunday, fought back well. Better days are coming.
~Westwood: Recovered from a pair of Round 2 brain-farts on #8 and #9 (his 35th and 36th holes) to get back into the tournament with a good Round 3 only to get off to a disastrous start on Sunday. Get back on the phone to I B-F.
~Simpson: Fantastic Round 2 from Webbgod, playing in the absolute worst of Friday's cold rain shot a 64 to equal the course record, at least four shots better than the rest of his "wave", or at least those who played more than nine holes in the Jack Crapp. Conditions were so dismal that Tim Clark, for instance, had to lay up on three par fours after hitting the fairway with his driver.
~Garcia: Right in the tournament after 36 holes, sleep-walked his way thru the weekend. Not sure went wrong on a course that should have suited him.

5).And then there's Tiger Woods: Oak Hill was never going to suit him but the intransigence of his game-plan such as hitting driver just once on Thursday (for instance) was bound to leave him long approaches with no margin for error. Add to that just one reachable par-5 and you have a recipe for disappointment - for Tiger and his fans anyway.
But next year sets up very well for Woods: Augusta (say no more), Pinehurst (runner-up to Campbell), Hoylake (2006 win) and Valhalla (2000 win).

6).The Top 15 finishers (and ties) earn themselves a place in the field for Valhalla in 2014. Those not otherwise exempt include:
Furyk, Stenson, Blixt, Piercy, Day, 2xJohnsons, Weekley, Leishman, Stricker, Castro, Streelman and Marc Warren - "chapeau" to Mr.Warren.

7).Adam Scott is the first player to finish in the top five in three Majors in one year since St.Padraig in 2008. His cumulative score for all four Majors was +2, equalling Jason Day (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!) as best of the Major year.
Eleven others also made all four Major cuts, and no surprises amongst 'em:
Choi, Dufner, Garcia, D.Johnson, Kaymer, Kuchar, Mickelson, Snedeker, Stenson, Westwood, Woods.

8).And so, from one Donald Ross masterpiece to another Ross classic, Sedgefield CC in Greensboro. Sergio beat Tim Clark here last year and there's a good field challenging him for this year's title.
Loads of Carolina Boys like Haas, Glover (no 5-putting from four feet this week please Lucas), and 2011 Champ Simpson, plus nouveau Tar-Heel residents Clark, de Jonge, Karlsson and Pettersson.
And a strong contingent of other Europeans with plenty to play for: Paul Casey (hope he's made up with his caddie), Fisher, Garcia, Hanson, Harrington, Kaymer, Norlander, Owen as well as Brian Davis and David Lynn, but sadly no Russell Knox - is there an anti-Scot bias going on?

9).Any previous assertion in these notes that just the top 125 FedEx points scorers join other exempt golfers with a 2013/2014 Tour card appears completely wrong, and the top 125 money-winners will also qualify for next year.
So Colsaerts is taking the week off as he is apparently content with re-upping on Tour next year but foregoing the chance to play in the FedEx Play-Offs. But Hanson and Harrington are both going for a Play-Off place while other notables who risk being out of the top 125 in both money and points - and have no exemption safety-net - include:
Appleby, Immelman, Cauley, Fisher, Owen, Ricky Barnes, Karlsson, Ishikawa and Sean O'Hair.

10).Finally, non-members who would have earned enough FedEx points to be in the top 200 will also be eligible for the web.com Tour Finals.
Does this mean that the appearance of players such as Gonzo, Franny Molinari, Fisher and Olesen among the early commitments for the Wales Open signify that they are all committed for next year's European Tour? But Marcel Siem is not signed up for Wales and, perversely, nor is Casey even though it is his photograph that adorns the European Tour Wales Open web page!
Frankly, I haven't been able to find an absolutely definitive statement as to who will finally be eligible for what - anecdotedly one feels one has it right but this is a little bit like Champions Tour eligibility in that definitive qualifications appear to be a well kept secret.

The weather will be unseasonally cool in Greensboro and possibly showery but this is another Ross course that looks great on TV. My two bob each way will be on forgotten Carolina Boy Jonathan Byrd.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Careers on the Line at Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Careers on the Line at Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:40 pm

Cheers kwini.
I'm sure Ishikawa will be eligable for everything.

Sergio seems in ok form, so he'll probably do well this week. Pettersson probably also.

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Careers on the Line at Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Careers on the Line at Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:16 am

Cheers pedro,
(Pettersson in a terrible trot of form, but we know he's motivated!)

Interesting item just published on Golf Channel:
Of those currently outside the Top 125, and therefore so far ineligible for the Play-Offs, are six golfers who have so far played in them every year:
Chad Campbell
Vijay Deer Spray
Robert Allenby
Major Toms
(These four have exemptions or options for exemption for the 2013/2014 season)
Troy Matteson
Sean O'Hair.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:40 am

Good write up Kwini... as usual... Very Happy 

RE: "Frankly, I haven't been able to find an absolutely definitive statement as to who will finally be eligible for what"

As I had stated here previously... top-125 money DOES secure a card for the PGAT next year. This is "supposed" to go away after this year, but there has been at least some speculation it might remain. (but I'm doubting it).

As for Web.com playoffs..  it is based on

1. 1-75 top money earners on the Web.com Tour through next week's Cox Classic.

2. 126-200 top MEMBER FedEx point earners on the PGA Tour through the Wyndham. (money not a consideration)

3. Any non-members who would have earned equivalent to #200 on the FedEx point list through the Wyndham Championship.

4. Any non-member who would have earned equivalent to #75 on the web.com money list.  (But probably moot as it appears as though current member and member+ non-member money lists are identical through #75 at this time)

As for #3 above... Here is the non-member "faux" FedEx points stat... http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02398.html

Looks like somewhere around 100  non-member points will be enough to be equivalent for top-200... so that would mean at least 19 non-members could conceivably make the playoffs. Obviously a lot of them won't play but they are: Castano, Matsuyama, Olesen, Sterne, F Molinari, Jimenez, Siem, Lowery, Tomasulo, Lawerie, Donaldson, Wood, Bello, Coetzee, Manassero, John Peterson, Grace, Gallacher, and Jeff Klauk.   - - - - - Noren, Cantlay, Fraser & Jamieson just outside 100 points... but "might" stay in top-200... but none of those 4 entered at Wyndham.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:59 am

thumbsup 
I'm guessing Siem, and perhaps Rafa, might be the only one of the Europeans to play those finals robo. But Coetzee very well could, and possibly Grace.
Sterne is a bit of a puzzle, thinking he might stay playing at home and in Europe.
It's all got a little arcane, and haven't seen any journalists dip their toes in to the ramifications of it all - don't blame them.
But it's also very important for the European Tour - very bizarre speculation the past 24 hours or so about the PGA Tour acquiring the European Tour. So the Ryder Cup would be competed for by the parent company vs its wholly owned overseas subsidiary, probably to the rules of the parent company.
Finchem must love that, whether it's true or not. He'd be able to play the European PGA in Atlanta, may invite Kevin Wentworth for old time's sake, and the Wales Open in Florida, Lake Wales presumably.

Lastly, when is John Peterson going to grow up and become the top class golfer most of us think he can? He must be eligible twice for the Finals!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:52 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
Lastly, when is John Peterson going to grow up and become the top class golfer most of us think he can? He must be eligible twice for the Finals!
I hadn't compared the list of 19 against the Web.com money list... looks like Peterson is in the playoff. As for when on this guy? I dunno... maybe IF is a better ask. I have no personal insight on him. Sometimes guys make the transition to the bigs... an sometimes they don't. I've seen too many surprises both ways to think much of it. But hey... he's all of 24 years old now.. so it's not like there isn't plenty of time for him.

And as for all that "buy out" thing... I don't know what to think.. I had NOTHING about it before it came out today. But just reading between the lines... IMO there's a LOT more to it than Finchem or Waters are saying. Hope to get some good "skinny" tomorrow.

All I had heard was the PGAT was possibly nearing some deal for another Pacific Rim area event... an of course there's ever growing speculation the World Challenge will counter NedBank's move somehow some way (and that could involve some permutations with the AT&T National as well) .

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:19 am

Meanwhile, stroke-play qualifying for the US Amateur sat Brookline is complete. British qualifiers include:
T1: Neil Raymond
T3: Matt Fitzpatrick
T9: Max Orrin
T20: Greg Eason
T50: Rhys Pugh
T50: Jordan Smith
Plus qualifiers from Denmark, Portugal, Austria and Finland.

The Future of European golf is bright, if O'Grady could only find a way to display it properly.
(Oak Hill's Gavin Hall qualified, our local lad missed by two shots.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:01 am

I know my thoughts on the dufmeister are not appreciated but I will leave at this; he is bad for the game.

Can't say I enjoyed the PGA and don't think the course was particularly interesting at all. Where has the Ross gone? One too many tweaks I think. Also it was odd that long and straight was not seen as something which should be rewarded. As noted by Furyk he was in the game because he was hitting from the same place as everyone else for a change. Meaning even the longer and more accurate players were not able to hit the slim driving zones.

For me the event felt like a regular PGA tour stop.

Next year we will see what Ross is all about at the newly restored pinehurst.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:00 am

In what way is Dufner bad for the game (without getting into a mud slinging argument please)

Sure he's fat and unsightly in the way that Shane Lowry is, and he chews tobacco, but it isn't his job to be a role model.

I've never seen him spit, throw clubs and I've never heard him swear either.
So how exactly is he bad for the game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:23 am

...will Mac go for the thread closure hat-trick? 3 in 2 days Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:27 am

Kwini - mentioned it elsewhere, but joint no.1 Hampshire! Good luck Neil.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:10 am

Indeed puligny,
Perhaps it's Hampshire Golf which should be doing the acquisition? Nah to that too.
Not familiar with Corhampton GC, but see he comes from Titchfield - my Dad was stationed at the old RAF base there about 60 years ago!

Early days yet, the "Amateur"'s history is littered with stroke-play leaders who fail to survive the first round of match-play, but it is surprising how many non-Americans qualify; quite a few Aussies and Canadians, as well as Europeans.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

Mac,
You tie yourself in knots sometimes; you say the PGA looked like a "regular PGA Tour stop" while observing that Furyk was hitting his second shots "from the same place as everyone else for a change". Doesn't sound like a regular Tour stop to me.

Fact is, thru'out the week the better drivers came to the fore, including Bill Haas, Westwood, Scott, McIlroy, Piercy, Stenson, DJ, etc, etc.. And Dufner hit it straighter with his driver than he did with his 3-wood.

Just because so-called marquee players (Els, Mickelson, Woods etc)can't hit their driver straight, surely that doesn't diminish the quality of the test of golf?

As for the Donald Ross content of the course, I've been going to Oak Hill for Champioinships for 33 years and, apart from moving one or two tees back, the only significant changes have been to the green complexes at #5 and #15. Fazio's changes before that, especially to the green complex at #18, were not especially popular, but the essence of the course has remained the same. (They have lost hundreds of trees in storms over the past 10 or 15 years, but can't think that's what you had in mind - which US Championship courses do you prefer?)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:43 am

Indeed Kwini. Corhampton is closest neighbour to my club. Always enjoy it but nothing special. I hear he is turning pro soon. Nice lad. He will play more Strokeplay than match as a pro so good background with 2 Brabazons and a Lytham!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:52 am

Furyk certainly was not hitting his 2nd shots from the same place of Dufner in the final round. It was noticeable that he was regularly 20 or 30 yards back, occasionally hitting hybrids and 3 woods when Dufner was hitting 4 irons.

To say good driving wasn't rewarded is odd as i can't remember seeing many rounds like Dufner's on Sunday where such consistently good and fairly long driving was rewarded so well.

I think you just dislike the Dufmeister, Mac
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:56 am

He's just gutted because the man he considers to be everything dufner isn't, despite being worse in every department of behaviour hasn't got the bottle in majors anymore.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:11 am

I have to say I enjoyed watching the PGA, but probably won't watch much from Greensboro, but I'll be keeping an eye on my usual favourites to see how they get on. I still get annoyed that Sky, in taking their feed from the US channels, consistently show shots out of order, which given it's strokeplay shouldn't really matter, but it's still lazy production.

It'll be interesting to see how Dufner deals with his major win - in recent years it seems very few have dealt well with the hangover for a season or two.

Casey fell out with his caddy??
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:27 am

Bob,
We were following Casey (with Horschel and Mahan) and he seemed to fall out with his caddie after rinsing his tee shot on the Par-3 15th - hardly the caddie's fault if Casey can't hit it straight.
For the last three holes I didn't see either speak to the other, Casey totally ignoring his "man". Antagonistic at best, adversarial at worst. Not a pretty sight.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:30 am

Kwini

In terms of atmosphere and shots played it seemed a little like a regular stop. I guess there was just something missing compared to the other majors this year.

It was Furyk's observation that he was hitting from similar spots to the other guys and he suggested that was not usually the case. I am also willing to accept it made a big difference to him.

Further he did not say this was the case in other majors so it is not like the fact alone makes this years PGA feel more major like.

I also associate ross with greens that are a little trickier than we saw this week. I am not sure original Ross's would offer the same recovery options.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

super_realist wrote:He's just gutted because the man he considers to be everything dufner isn't.....
Everything Dufner isn't........

In decent shape.......tick
Bald.........tick
Wild use of the driver........tick
Lacking of a super hot wife..........tick
No friends on tour.......tick
Not captured a Major in 2013...........tick
Chatty, charming and intelligent...........oh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:35 am

They both have multiple chins though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:02 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Meanwhile, stroke-play qualifying for the US Amateur sat Brookline is complete. British qualifiers include:
T1: Neil Raymond
T3: Matt Fitzpatrick
T9: Max Orrin
T20: Greg Eason
T50: Rhys Pugh
T50: Jordan Smith
Plus qualifiers from Denmark, Portugal, Austria and Finland.
Pugh an Smith aren't in yet, but gotta like their chances...    17 players at T50 playing off this morning for 15 spots...

Last edited by robopz on Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:07 pm

You have to wonder how long it will be before using tobacco products on the course will be banned on tour.

If people who smoke/chew have become reliant on it to keep calm, or become agitated if they cannot get some tobacco, has a tobacco become a PED?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:13 pm

Why would they Mac? Tobacco isn't illegal.

Golf isn't a "sport" where players are role models.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm

robo,
Thought of that when I posted, but couldn't find an explanation for any play-off. It'll be a long day in Brookline, wonder which course they use for the play-off - shouldn't take too long though!

Slippery slope Mac when you're talking about banning things/habits, especially those which are perfectly within the laws of the State the boys (and girls) are playing in. Perhaps sex addiction also helps "sufferers" keep calm during a round? Or maybe they "become agitated" when they see a nice pair of Bristols in the gallery and go off for a quickie in the on-course portaloos??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:40 pm

McLaren wrote:You have to wonder how long it will be before using tobacco products on the course will be banned on tour.  

If people who smoke/chew have become reliant on it to keep calm, or become agitated if they cannot get some tobacco, has a tobacco become a PED?
I remember reading something once about trying to stop spectators from smoking on the course but doing so being found to be against their human rights as they were in the open air and smoking isn't illegal etc. Might be a load of b*llocks but if it's not i would assume the same thing applies to the players
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:41 pm

Bristols - love it, just need a Sid James HnaaarhnaaarHnaaar
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:43 pm

Good write-up as usual Kwini - continual thinks for the Ballwasher notes!

McLaren wrote:I know my thoughts on the dufmeister are not appreciated but I will leave at this; he is bad for the game.
Ah, to be blessed with infallibility in one's remarks! No, Mac. It's simply your opinion, based on not a great deal and which, apparently, no-one else (here or elsewhere) agrees with.

Re. Casey and his caddy. Would have been pretty funny if his caddy just dumped his bag in the fairway and suggested he'd better carry his own bag. The again, maybe it wasn't all that and I imagine there was a bit of stress in there and they've probably had a beer (or mineral water perhaps if Mac's looking on...) and made up long since.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:46 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Re. Casey and his caddy. Would have been pretty funny if his caddy just dumped his bag in the fairway and suggested he'd better carry his own bag. The again, maybe it wasn't all that and I imagine there was a bit of stress in there and they've probably had a beer (or mineral water perhaps if Mac's looking on...) and made up long since.
Like Romeo did in Tin Cup?? That would be awesome! Very Happy
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:29 pm

U.S. Am playoff - Jordan Smith (England) Jade Scott (Texas) eliminated in the 17 for 15 playoff

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

Hi kwin / all
Did anyone else think it wad just a matter of time before Dufner won a major? Just seems to have a relaxed way of playing, whereas others you wonder

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:50 pm

...if it will ever happen ( naming no names!!!).
Have to say mightily impressed with Stensons comeback this season.
Hope you guys are keeping well.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:51 pm

Sorry on a smartphone and it's way smarter than me so far!!!!!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:58 pm

Hi gw,
How are you?
Hope things are going well and you've managed to wind up your golf game again - or at least got your lad out there.
Hoping to see good things at Molyneux this year - very sorry to see Dave Wagstaffe going to Waggy's Bar in the sky, but see you've just spent his 750K bequest on Kevin McDonald.

Had a great time at the PGA - did you see your mate Justin scored a nine-hole 29 on Friday, and played the same nine holes in 42 in Round 3? Add ten strokes a nine and that sounds like me.

Keep in touch . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:06 pm

Hi kwin
I'm good thanks, things started to settle down now after my job move, 2 hours a day in the car now!
Hoping the Jacket can turn it around, he's done the right thing clearing the old guard, time to start afresh, we'll see.
Not been near a course in about 2 years now, no longer a member, just a combination of changes mainly cash flow mean golf had to be sacrificed, shame but themselves the kicks.
Yes I watched the 3 rd round hoping Rose would get the 2nd major of the 9 I predicted for him Wink but it was more like the old Justin.
Glad to hear you're well, hope to contribute a bit more now.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:07 pm

'thems the kicks' darn predictive text!!!!!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm

It was mentioned above about Dufner not throwing his clubs, i recall earlier this year he threw a wedge into a river in front of a green cannot remember the competition though. But who cares, let them throw clubs, or swear, people do similar in their usual place of work. And if any one thinks a golfer or any sportsperson is a role model, then thats crazy.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:12 pm

PS anyone remember a poster on 606 by the name S57player? He's now in the English A squad after a string of good results.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:17 pm

beninho wrote:It was mentioned above about Dufner not throwing his clubs, i recall earlier this year he threw a wedge into a river in front of a green cannot remember the competition though. But who cares, let them throw clubs, or swear, people do similar in their usual place of work. And if any one thinks a golfer or any sportsperson is a role model, then thats crazy.
It's in this article...posted for Mac (think nothing of it)....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/27-reasons-jason-dufner-is-cooler-than-the-other-side-of-the
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:18 pm

goldwolf wrote:PS anyone remember a poster on 606 by the name S57player? He's now in the English A squad after a string of good results.
I remember him. Good to hear he's doing well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:21 pm

Re: US Amateur, and gut-wrenching for Jordan Smith to miss out - must happen every year but heart-breaking to be so near and yet so far.

Stories on-line about Steve Stricker resting his hamstring for a fortnight; won't play The Barclays but might go to the DeutscheBank. Future plans to be determined but sounds like he has a conflict with a pre-planned hunting trip so may not play again unless he makes the Pres Cup Team and reschedules.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm

Just noticed he's Playing for England right now NBS, in the home internationals Smile

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:45 pm

Never did know his real name - who was/is he in any case?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:50 pm

Ryan Evans

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:51 pm

Sounds more like a Taff.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:56 pm

Ha

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:18 pm

Cool. Ta. I notice the handicap of +3.6 - tidy then!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:51 pm

http://evansgolf.co.uk/default.asp
Good luck to him.

Separately, there's confirmation from the AP in Melbourne that Jarrod Lyle plans to tee it up at the Aussie Masters at Royal Melbourne in November as he continues to recover from his latest bout with leukaemia.
Good luck to him, and more importantly GOOD HEALTH.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:39 pm

Unless something crazy happens, there are 5 players playing for two automatic spots in the US Prez Cup standings.

9. Stricker . . .8703000 pts
10. ZJohnson . 8692000
11. Djohnson . 86821000
12. Simpson . .8640000 (playing Wyndham)
13. Furyk . . . .8043000
14. Watson . . .7817000

Since Webb Simpson is the only one bubble boys playing Wyndham he could (virtually) clinch the 9th spot with a podium finish and move to the 9th spot with a top ~30 finish.

Scanning further down the standings, Weekley and Watney are the only other players in the PC Top 20 standings that is playing Wyndham. And they both need to win to get into the mix.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

GPB,
I think Zach is also playing in G'boro.

When is the cut-off?
I originally thought it was this Sunday, but now believe it's following the DeutscheBank in a fortnight+; pgatour.com confirms Sept 2nd. So that places Stricker's place in grave jeopardy as he has only one event (DeutscheBank) to qualify, vs three for Webbgod and Zachgod, for instance.

PS: And this is also a big week for Tim Clark - floundering recently (except his hole-in-one on Sunday) but playing a home game at Greensboro.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next