The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters who look the part, & ones who don't

+19
shenglongreturns
OasisBFC
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
The Terror of Tylorstown
John Bloody Wayne
Mr Bounce
ShahenshahG
Boxtthis
bellchees
bhb001
mobilemaster8
Rowley
88Chris05
Pekchenko
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
seanmichaels
DynamiteChris
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fighters who look the part, & ones who don't - Page 2 Empty Fighters who look the part, & ones who don't

Post by DynamiteChris Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

First topic message reminder :

The earlier topic about fighters freezing before fights got me thinking what makes them freeze; sometimes I think the way the opponent looks is a factor

Some fighters/boxers look like hard b**tards, people like Tyson particularly, Bruno although always came across a nice guy you would've known not to mess with him, & Liston looked scary as hell

Some don't, one that always springs to mind for me is Darren Barker, if you showed me a picture of him & said he was an athlete & I had to guess which sport, the last would be boxing, I like him & he's a good fighter but just doesn't look like a fighter.

I always thought Hatton looked tough too, probably the flat nose & battered face but you can see a mile off he's a boxer, but then Calzaghe, like Barker is another who doesn't look like a fighter at all, even compared to most of his opponents he didn't look as ripped/strong

I remember in either Eubank's or Benn's book (can't remember which but think it was Eubank) says that they felt full of confidence until they got into the ring & saw Michael Watson who looked really pumped up & up for it & was ripped & really looked like he'd trained hard, obviously Eubank didn't freeze but a less mentally strong person easily could've, incidentally Eubank & Benn both looked the part I think & intimidated opponents, particularly Benn

How much do you think the way fighters look can intimidate opponents, or do you think the way they look doesn't make a difference as at pro level you know all about your opponent way before, not like it's the first time you've seen them on the night.

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Fighters who look the part, & ones who don't - Page 2 Empty Re: Fighters who look the part, & ones who don't

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Dempsey had a certain "I'd be punching you even if they weren't paying me" look to him.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Fighters who look the part, & ones who don't - Page 2 Empty Re: Fighters who look the part, & ones who don't

Post by TheMarvelousOne Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:08 am

Duran in his prime looked like a complete head case. Definitely intimidated Leonard before the Brawl in Montreal. Leonard said as much in his autobiography and, as we all know, ended up fighting Durans type of fight.

TheMarvelousOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2