The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If there was no harsh stips and you could fight 3 weights up/down

+4
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
8 posters

Go down

If there was no harsh stips and you could fight 3 weights up/down Empty If there was no harsh stips and you could fight 3 weights up/down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:47 pm

If current weight champions faced other weight champions - 3 divisions apart who would win?

I was thinking this when reading about Alvarez and Mayweather and the weight stips - given that Alvarez would be around 172 on fight night - I still think Mayweather will beat him handily and it got me to thinking, what fighters would beat who at whatever weight? (Maximum 3 weight class jump from their max weight)

It lead to me thinking what a stinkfest Mayweather vs Ward would be - although of course size is an advantage, would you see Martinez beating Cleverly? Donaire and Broner have a barnstormer?

Just something to think about. Personally, I believe it would be a difference in terms of the power of course, but if you had say - Pacquiao vs Golovkin, how would it pan out? Would it be one bomb from Golovkin and its game over? or is Pacquiao such a good mover and hard hitter that he runs him close?

You know what I mean! Discuss at your leisure.....

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

If there was no harsh stips and you could fight 3 weights up/down Empty Re: If there was no harsh stips and you could fight 3 weights up/down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 5:19 pm

Think you've had too much sun Mate..

Mayweather beats Canelo because he's a once in a lifetime fighter....

Anyone else moving up three weights gets battered.....

anybody really think Manny has a prayer with Canelo or Goletkin....

Pick Geale/Barker to stop Manny..

Ward drops Floyd with the first punch that connects because he probably weighs 180+ on the night........

You're a romantic and it's nice........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

If there was no harsh stips and you could fight 3 weights up/down Empty Re: If there was no harsh stips and you could fight 3 weights up/down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Aug 2013, 5:24 pm

At his 'peak' I can see Martinez beating Cleverly. Cleverly lacks the experience and isn't a big hitter. But looking at Martinez's last 4 fights its not conclusive, maybe Cleverly's high work rate couple with his natural size advantage could cause some problems.

With regards to Manny vs Golovkin I've only seen Golovkins last fight so cant base an opinion although clearly he hits hard & if he was to land then its lights out for Manny. The one thing I think that sticks in peoples minds with Manny when he first made the jump up was his speed & workrate alongside his movement, ODLH, Cotto & Margarito had no answer.

Sometimes size/power will win the day likewise speed, work rate & movement will win on another.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 5:30 pm

Wouldn't have to look for Manny...Floyd would be harder..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Aug 2013, 5:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wouldn't have to look for Manny...Floyd would be harder..
Very true. Generally you would favour the bigger fighter but we seem to be pitching small greats against ok to good big guys, not always the foregone conclusion.

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 6:06 pm

Okay here is a list:

Bernard Hopkins vs David Haye
Manny Pacquiao vs Sergio Martinez
Carl Froch vs Brandon Rios
Gennady Golovkin vs Adonis Stevenson
Floyd Mayweather vs Andre Ward
Lucas Mathyssee vs Chavez Jr

thoughts.....

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 15 Aug 2013, 6:10 pm

Haye
Martinez
Froch
GGG
Ward
JCC

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

Pacquiao, Rios and Matthysse all get hit a bit too much to have much hope in these, Rios in particular. Generally fighters have more scope for moving up in weight if they don't get hit much and don't rely on being a brute. Pacquiao's a bit of an exception, insofar as defence has never been his strong point, but he's a bit of a freak of nature, the likes of which don't come along very often.

Matthysse and Rios would have big trouble ever trying to go higher than 147, methinks.

I can see Hopkins just becoming too negative and defensive once he's tasted Haye's power. Bernard's such a good spoiler and adapter that he might find a way to last the course, but there's no way he wins that one as he simply can't hurt Haye and doesn't have the kind of work rate that would tire Haye out in any case.

I've never been impressed with Stephenson and one punch, albeit a very, very good one against Dawson hasn't really changed my mind. Technically, Golovkin is a class above Adonis and I can see him taking a wide points verdict having hurt Stephenson badly once or twice along the way.

We've already seen how Mayweather isn't quite the same at 154, so it's piddling in the wind to think he's got any chance of upsetting Ward at 168! Ward's no Julian Jackson, but considering that Floyd has climbed through the weights a stiff jab from Ward (and he's got a lovely jab) is going to give Mayweather some trouble if it lands on the button.

Worth noting, too, that Ward is one of the very few fighters out there right now who has a skill set in the same stratosphere as Floyd's, and he's perhaps got a shade more speed than him these days, too. I can see Mayweather's stance leaving him open for Ward's jab and Ward mauling him in the clinches as he did to Froch and Dawson.

The thought of Mayweather being knocked clean out is still a bit too hard for me to conjure, so I'll say he quits on his stool after eight or nine rounds.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 15 Aug 2013, 6:24 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Carl Froch vs Brandon Rios

thoughts.....
Seriously?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 9:50 pm

Indeed box this. Jumping from welter up three divisions as stated by the OP.....

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:40 pm

Been interested to see If Floyd could have decisioned Valuev ..........by punching his stomach for 12 rounds and keeping out the way..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 16 Aug 2013, 2:01 am

What about moving up 2 weights? I could imagine Ward taking a belt at cruiser. Hes tricky to hit and the talent pool at CW is not very impressive. Huck maybe?

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 16 Aug 2013, 8:45 am

Haha Truss! Id go Mayweather UD.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 16 Aug 2013, 12:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Been interested to see If Floyd could have decisioned Valuev ..........by punching his stomach for 12 rounds and keeping out the way..
I honestly couldn't see how Valuev could hit Mayweather unless he just plodded forward swinging both hands in a windmill type fashion and pushing Floyd around at every chance, no way does he land an actual boxing punch.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down