The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer faces the biggest challenge of his career

+5
sirfredperry
Henman Bill
invisiblecoolers
erictheblueuk
lags72
9 posters

Go down

Federer faces the biggest challenge of his career  Empty Federer faces the biggest challenge of his career

Post by lags72 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

And no, I don't mean how to navigate his way through to the second week of the upcoming USO, even though that - I'm sure - will be the number one priority & focus of the man himself right now.

I refer instead to the fact that Federer's shock exit at this year's Wimbledon - the Slam with which his name became virtually synonymous  - has since been seen as perhaps rather more than just an isolated blip. Which in turn raises once again the thorny subject of when might be the best time for the great Swiss to bring down the curtain on a unique career ; always assuming of course that there can ever be such a thing as 'the best time' .......

Other tennis greats have as we know chosen their own particular ways to exit the game, and very contrasting they have been too - ranging from the very premature departure of Bjorn Borg aged just 26 to Pete Sampras, who left on a high as US Open Champion when five years older, albeit after more than a season's worth of tournament losses to a series of tour journeymen.

It's no surprise that the timing of the retirement of a player who has already surpassed many of the impressive achievements of a host of legendary names, including even those I've mentioned above, should be the subject of so much comment and discussion - and it's a subject that will surely be cranked up significantly over the coming weeks & months ; and will continue to be analysed long after he has played his very last game, whenever that might be.

I thought it was worth posting a link to a well-constructed article by Oliver Brown of the Telegraph which puts an interesting perspective on things and offers a bit (and it is, inevitably only a bit ......) of insight into Federer's own thoughts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/10257961/US-Open-2013-time-is-catching-up-with-Roger-Federer-the-Swiss-master-craftsman.html

lags72

Back to top Go down

Federer faces the biggest challenge of his career  Empty Re: Federer faces the biggest challenge of his career

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:43 pm

He has been testing new racquets and has recently signed up to play The Brisbane International 2014. This suggests to me that he's not ready to quit just yet.

Even if he does slide down the rankings I think Sampras was seeded about 17 when he won the US Open and retired.

When he does retire personally, I hope it's at his hometown event the Swiss Indoors Basel. With his family friends and the people who've known him the longest, around at that event.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Federer faces the biggest challenge of his career  Empty Re: Federer faces the biggest challenge of his career

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 25 Aug 2013, 8:43 pm

What I see is only 3 things,

1]Fed is brave enough to play the game still inspite of knowing journeymans like Brands are eating him for the breakfast.

2]Fed really loves the game and results doesn't matter and will play as long as he loves the game.

3]Sponsorship and Limelight, no star wants to be off the lime light but they are forced to be off it, Fed is forced off the limelight now as well as the talk of the season is Murray and Rafa clearly, but what about sponsorships? Fed leads any current star playing in this aspect by miles, the longer he plays the longer the sponsorship will be as well, he is not making ordinary sum , i,e close to $70 Million dollars/annum, I would not hang up my boots for next 5 years if I am in his position.

But the best part is everybody loves to see Fed, Fedal is still the biggest attraction of the sport inspite of both clearly of their best.

Do I want Fed to retire? yes considering his losses to journeymans.
Do I want Fed to continue? ys considering he can spring magic time and again when people count him out.

So I myself cannot make a decision whether he should retire or not, it would be more tricky for him to make a decision.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 26 Aug 2013, 12:29 am

I'm not sure I agree with biggest challenge of his career, that was probably trying to win his first slam, or get the slam record, or win every slam, or face up to Rafa on clay, or face up to Rafa generally, or get back to no 1 in 2012 despite a fit and peak Nadal and Murray and Djokovic at a younger age.

But in some ways it might be the more awkward and tricky decision. I think that's what you probably mean.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 26 Aug 2013, 1:16 am

Very fair comment HB wrt this being more of a decision than a challenge.

The major challenges have, as you say, been confronted on court - and with more success over the years than perhaps even he himself ever thought possible. There is little left to prove and his legacy is secure.

As far as retirement is concerned ....... maybe 'biggest dilemma' would be more appropriate.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 26 Aug 2013, 5:20 am

May be we can put like "last left out challenge" Smile

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 26 Aug 2013, 3:04 pm

Reckon Fed's biggest challenge was to clinch the French after the shock of Rafa's exit in 09. Two sets down and a break point fdown to Tommy Haas, Rog rallied to win. He also came from behind to beat delPo in the semi before beating Soderling in the final.
Fed must have known he would never have a better chance to complete the GS set when Rafa went out. Must have been very stressful.
I don't see anything left in Fed's career that could possibly be his "biggest challenge". OK, every match is something of a challenge, but unless it was beating Rafa in a GS final - something that can't happen in New York - I can't think of anything.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Mon 26 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm

I agree with lags72 that his career is now facing a dilemma as to when to call it a day. I have said many times that Federer is on the cusp of mediocrity and in the link in the OA, much is said the same.

For me, I'd like to see him go out on as high a note as possible, but he is such a lover of tennis and competition, I can't see him doing that soon. Apart from near future signups to forthcoming events, he has continuously advertised his intention to play for Olympic gold in Rio.

That for me is his biggest challenge, 3 yrs is a long time at his age, but not impossible if he semi-retires from professional tennis, by keeping fit and playing the minimum amount of events needed. If he concentrated on just gearing up for his last hurrah in Rio, then its conceivable he has a chance there to make history and set a few records on top of the plethora already in existence.

Its a pipe dream IMO but one that only Federer has the ability to construct and deliver. If a few Slam semi's or finals make an appearance in between, all the better for his preparation in South America. But its his body that will dictate the day if and when he has to retire outside of his determination to carry on.

It could happen in a flash, a sudden breakdown, a career ending injury or a persistent niggle that just gets worse.

Thats why for me, I'd rather he retire before the inevitable.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 26 Aug 2013, 7:10 pm

Reduced schedule, unlucky draws (this years US Open is the 4th time he's faced an unstoppable Rafa in the quarters), changing raquets and last minute additions to his schedule are not a recipe for success. Not to mention having a bad back!

No player can continue forever but Federer is 32 not 42 and is far from alone in continuing to play in his 30's. He was number 1 just 12 months ago and despite having a disastrous year (for him) has proved he's still capable of excellent tennis against Nadal in Cincinnati. People are a little hasty writing him off.

I'm also a bit sad at all the media mud slinging against him at present. Build someone up then pull them down once they have outstayed their welcome or in an effort to build up replacements. Pfft! He has more than earned the right when he sees fit and not be pestered by reporters to do so. He doesn't have to prove anything. Losses do not negate wins and his overstocked trophy cabinet is safe.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 26 Aug 2013, 7:31 pm

All Roger Federer needs to do is look to Jimmy Connors. At the grand old age of 39 he reached a slam semi so there is time for Roger yet.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 27 Aug 2013, 3:52 am

hawkeye wrote:I'm also a bit sad at all the media mud slinging against him at present.
Quite deplorable, it is, is it not? Should we ask the Queen to retire as well?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 27 Aug 2013, 8:31 am

^ it's not just some sections of the media who take great pleasure at slinging mud either...

Poor Federer he really did create a monster. Not only did he steal all the trophies but he did it with style and a bit of class. Who does he think he is? Tennis royalty. So all the daggers are out to get him about that too. How dare he be proud of his achievements. How dare he still take center stage. How dare fans want to watch him and not (insert name of favorite player). How dare he lose. Pfft!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 27 Aug 2013, 9:26 am

Not sure I understand what you mean in your post hawkeye.

I can't say I've seen much that could be described as "mud slinging" in the media, but perhaps there has been and I just happen to have missed it all. Could you point us in the direction of any specific examples which would show that "the daggers are out" .... ?

If you are referring to the forum  ..... well there is always criticism of one player or another here ; and whilst Federer is certainly no exception on that score, it seems to me that he generally comes in
for far less negative comment than many other players - simply because most rational members and genuine fans of tennis acknowledge his unique status in the game. In the old days of 606, there were of course the likes of uneducated biased (plus sundry aliases of course) and boromir, who would regularly peddle all sorts of childish vitriol in the vain hope that it made them look clever. But happily that breed of poster was discouraged right from the birth of v2 and has become something of a rarity on the forum.

As the OP on this thread I can say that I was looking primarily to raise the point that recent losses to low-ranked players have once again put the debate surrounding the timing of Federer's retirement - which obviously happens at some point to all athletes, however stellar their past achievements - into the spotlight. I did not say that he should retire, but merely that it was likely to become something of a hot topic in the coming months if the pattern of results seen so far this season were to continue.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

For me the season cannot end quick enough for Federer. He seems to have lost his mojo a bit from his Wimbledon defeat and I think his racquet experimentation came at the wrong time in the season. Federer ranked at number 7 is just bizarre as I expected him to lose points, but not so many like he has. I think he needs a break and this could be the right time for it and see where he is physically and mentally before making any decisions about his immediate.

Yes it is unusual to see him ranked so lowly and not firing on all cylinders, but on the upside is that no-one young is pushing hard enough for those top 10 berths.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 27 Aug 2013, 6:32 pm

At the end of the day Roger will retire when HE feels the time is right. When that will be only he knows but if he is enjoying playing tennis regardless of form then that is fine. However, if he grows disenchanted or frustrated with losses against players he knows (in his prime) he could beat that may force his hand but who knows? To spur him on to continue he should recall that Jimmy Connors reached a US Open semi at the grand old age of 39 so Roger is a spring chicken just now.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down