The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The fight that turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore boxing fan.

+17
rapidringsroad
Gerflagenflople
azania
TRUSSMAN66
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Valero's Conscience
The Galveston Giant
Scottrf
DoubleD22
Rowley
coxy0001
Boxtthis
Adam D
Daz
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
The_Phenom
21 posters

Go down

The fight that turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore boxing fan. Empty The fight that turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore boxing fan.

Post by The_Phenom Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 am

Hello everyone, after reading various posts for several months I have finally decided to post something of my own.

Just wanted to start with something quick and simple and that is what fight hooked you into this sport and turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore fanatic!

For me it was the Floyd Mayweather vs Demarcus Corley fight. At the time I was a big Hatton fan and was also aware of the upcoming prospect that was Miguel Cotto. Both fighters looked awesome at the time and I thought these two would eventually rise to the top of the division. However after watching an interview with Miguel Cotto on some preview show on sky, they mentioned Floyd Mayweather as a future opponent and showed a brief clip of his fights. They later showed the Mayweather vs Corley fight and I was blown away with the skills and speed of Mayweather. From this point onwards I followed the careers of these three fighters closely and just became hooked on all things boxing.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

The fight that turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore boxing fan. Empty Re: The fight that turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore boxing fan.

Post by Fists of Fury Thu May 12, 2011 11:18 am

For me it was more of a gradual progression toward becoming a hardcore fan. I recall watching both Naz and Lennox Lewis during my youth and they both got me hooked on the sport, and as I say it was a gradual thing through secondary school with the Lewis/Tyson fight etc generating tons of hype. Back then however I wasn't too aware of many fighters worldwide, just the big names, and through media such as 606 my knowledge has expanded enormously.

Welcome, by the way.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The fight that turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore boxing fan. Empty Re: The fight that turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore boxing fan.

Post by HumanWindmill Thu May 12, 2011 11:18 am

The_Phenom wrote:Hello everyone, after reading various posts for several months I have finally decided to post something of my own.

Just wanted to start with something quick and simple and that is what fight hooked you into this sport and turned you from a casual fan into a hardcore fanatic!

For me it was the Floyd Mayweather vs Demarcus Corley fight. At the time I was a big Hatton fan and was also aware of the upcoming prospect that was Miguel Cotto. Both fighters looked awesome at the time and I thought these two would eventually rise to the top of the division. However after watching an interview with Miguel Cotto on some preview show on sky, they mentioned Floyd Mayweather as a future opponent and showed a brief clip of his fights. They later showed the Mayweather vs Corley fight and I was blown away with the skills and speed of Mayweather. From this point onwards I followed the careers of these three fighters closely and just became hooked on all things boxing.

Welcome aboard, Phenom. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Easy one for me. I was just a lad when I saw the first ( Clay ) Ali v Liston fight in 1964. I had been aware of the build up to the fight ; everybody was interested in it - even my old mum - and it was huge news when we heard that Clay had won. I watched it the night after it happened, became totally hooked, and remain so to this day.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu May 12, 2011 11:21 am

Hi mate! Welcome to the forum.

For me personally - it was more of a gradual thing. When i was much younger football was my sport of choice. But as my interest in football waned - i went to my uncles house one day and watched a Tyson fight. I was hooked, at the same time I used to watch Benn/ Eubank, Naseem Hamed, Frank Bruno and the rise of Ricky Hatton.

Watching these made me fall in love with the sport. It fizzled out slightly as I moved away to go to Uni but since I moved back about 10 years ago - i picked up where i left off.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu May 12, 2011 11:22 am

I am still not a hardcore fight fan but the fights that turned me from a non watcher into someone who watches and enjoys boxing were:

Haggler v Hears
Hearns v Duran
Duran v Haggler

(those three were on a ITV sport retrospective one night and had me hooked)

Eubank v Watson
Bowe vs Holyfield (both fights)
Holyfield v Tyson 2 (although I always tuned in for the Tyson fights the next day when they were repeated)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu May 12, 2011 11:26 am

My Dad always had a lot of videos from the SRL, Duran, Hearns, Hagler period, which I'd watched and enjoyed as a boy. But it wasn't until watching Benn vs McCellan fight that I got hooked. I was in awe at the courage shown by both guys (particularly Benn after being knocked out of the ring in round 1 (i think?)). A terribly sad outcome from that fight, but it was the one that made me realise that boxing can have few rivals in terms of courage and fortitude required.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu May 12, 2011 11:27 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
The_Phenom wrote:Hello everyone, after reading various posts for several months I have finally decided to post something of my own.

Easy one for me. I was just a lad when I saw the first ( Clay ) Ali v Liston fight in 1964. I had been aware of the build up to the fight ; everybody was interested in it - even my old mum - and it was huge news when we heard that Clay had won. I watched it the night after it happened, became totally hooked, and remain so to this day.

Funny you should say that Windy! My mum hates all sports, all fighting - but loved watching a Naseem Hamed fight!! Haha!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am

Was never really casual as i grew up watching the sport

The fight(s) that got me hooked were the Eubank vs Benn fights. Remember that was all people talked about up our cricket club (i was only a wee 8 year old or so) for weeks beforehand. Place was rammoed for both and remember thinking "i quite like this"

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu May 12, 2011 11:30 am

I bet you if you were all honest, some of Rocky's (Balboa not Marciano) should be on this list!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu May 12, 2011 11:36 am

Dazstarr wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Funny you should say that Windy! My mum hates all sports, all fighting - but loved watching a Naseem Hamed fight!! Haha!

I know it's an old cliché, but some guys really do transcend their sports don't they, Daz ?

And good for your mum, I say.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu May 12, 2011 11:42 am

Was not one fight but it would have to be watching Naz for me. His rise to prominence coincided with me leaving school and actually being in a position to attend fights in person and there is nothing like watching a fight live. Couple that with the fact he was a local lad and him more than anything turned me from a casual fan to the sad obsessive I am now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu May 12, 2011 11:48 am

I recall watching Naz as a kid Rowley, although I was young I always remeber being exciting for a Naz fight and the ring entrance including his trademark flip over the rope lol. I started to lose interest towards the end of his career and didn't really watch boxing until Hatton's rise.

I'm watching my first live fight in July, it's a good way to start though watching a heavyweight unification fight haha. Lets hope it lives up to the hype!

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Thu May 12, 2011 11:53 am

The fight that got me hooked to boxing was Gatti v Ward I, My dad showed me this fight knowing forewell that from then on i would be hooked, great war to watch! since then i have gone boxing mad and am looking through 606v2 everyday and finding out as much as i can about boxing and its roots.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

They most certainly do Windy! My mum seems to have taken a liking to Amir Khan as well.

Bit worried really as she seems to have developed a soft spot for young asian boxers. Hmmmmm.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am

Dazstarr wrote:Bit worried really as she seems to have developed a soft spot for young asian boxers. Hmmmmm.
Adad will be in contact.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:Bit worried really as she seems to have developed a soft spot for young asian boxers. Hmmmmm.
Adad will be in contact.

Hahaha!! Good old Adad! I wonder if social services ever got to him!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Not read through but should get a chance later, mine probably Micky Ward vs Shea Neary.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm

I' relatively new to being a serious boxing fan and the first fight they truly got me hooked was the Froch vs Pascal fight.

It was ITV and I thought i'd watch it and it was a brilliant fight.

I've always had an interest before and watched the big fights but they were always disappointing to me i.e. Tyson vs Lewis, however if I was interested in boxing as much then as I am now I would have known Lewis would have easily won IMO.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu May 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Hobo wrote:I bet you if you were all honest, some of Rocky's (Balboa not Marciano) should be on this list!

True!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu May 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Welcome aboard mate.

Growing up my Dad was a big boxing fans and their was plenty of big fights on ITV and Naz and Lewis were having big fights on Sky. My Dad took me to watch Tyson v Sarravesse at Hampden. Tyson KOd Saravesse in the first round but it was Judah v Witter that really caught my attention I loved Judahs hand speed and swift movement I became a bit of a hardcore fan since then. Still got a soft spot for Judah to this day.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Holmes - Norton....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Ali - Foreman

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 12, 2011 8:03 pm

How old are you Azania

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 12, 2011 8:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How old are you Azania

Younger than windy and older than you.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Don't be too proud or precious....I envisioned a younger poster..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 12, 2011 8:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't be too proud or precious....I envisioned a younger poster..

Nah. I have a 17 year old son doing his A levels next month. Poor kid. Pressure is on him. And a 9 year old daughter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Good luck to him..does he know what he wants to do??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 12, 2011 8:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Good luck to him..does he know what he wants to do??

Yep. He want to do History and International relations. He has a place at UCL and Exeter provided he gets 2 A Grades and a B. So far on track.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Thu May 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi guys, new to the board so go easy Wink the fight that turned me was Jeff lacey and Joe Calzaghe, caught it by accident on ITV and was hooked. Before then I had only ever heard of the big heavyweights really. Plus Wayne Mc Cullogh and Barry Mc Guigan seeing as they were local legends back home.

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Sat May 14, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm probably showing my age a bit but after seeing Patterson and Johansen battling it out for the title I was hooked on boxing.That and Moto GP are still my favourite sports.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat May 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Always been a pretty passionate fan since sneaking out of bed in 1986 to watch Frank Bruno v Tim Witherspoon on a tiny black and white tv in my parents room while they were downstairs watching it. I was just a lad and they had forbidden me to watch it as it was on late but I was detemined to see what the fuss was about and watched it in silence in their room. From that point on I was hooked.

The fights that really stick out in my mind though are the Dennis Andries v Jeff Harding trilogy and a bit later, Mike McCallum beating Harding for the WBC Light Heavyweight title in 1994. Great fight and what a boxer The Bodysnatcher was!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun May 15, 2011 1:30 am

Hello everyone, after reading various posts for several months I have finally decided to post something of my own.

.....................................................................................
What you followed the career of Corley? you poor guy lol, Cotto always wanted to fight Mayweather

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun May 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Ricky Hatton vs Floyd Mayweather-I was a big Hatton fan at the time and a had seen Floyd against ODLH.Ever since watching them fight I became hooked on boxing big fan ever since.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sun May 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Always been a pretty passionate fan since sneaking out of bed in 1986 to watch Frank Bruno v Tim Witherspoon on a tiny black and white tv in my parents room while they were downstairs watching it. I was just a lad and they had forbidden me to watch it as it was on late but I was detemined to see what the fuss was about and watched it in silence in their room. From that point on I was hooked.

The fights that really stick out in my mind though are the Dennis Andries v Jeff Harding trilogy and a bit later, Mike McCallum beating Harding for the WBC Light Heavyweight title in 1994. Great fight and what a boxer The Bodysnatcher was!

Just read this back and now realise that it makes me look like some kind of weird Jeff Harding obsessive. I'm not. I wasn't back then either. Honest.

Yours,
Jeff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 am

Weird choice given it wasn't the most entertaining but ODLH vs Mayweather.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 am

licence_007 wrote:Weird choice given it wasn't the most entertaining but ODLH vs Mayweather.

You say that but mines was a Junior Witter fight!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon May 16, 2011 12:12 am

prettyboykev wrote:
licence_007 wrote:Weird choice given it wasn't the most entertaining but ODLH vs Mayweather.

Strange what fights manage to grab our attention! By the way, can't be bothered making a topic, but I have the Prince Arron and Ward fights recorded, good fights and are the undercards worth watching too?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 am

licence_007 wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Strange what fights manage to grab our attention! By the way, can't be bothered making a topic, but I have the Prince Arron and Ward fights recorded, good fights and are the undercards worth watching too?

The Webb one wasn't not sure about Ward sky never showed any of the undercard.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down