The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tommy Morrison

+9
bhb001
School Project
J.Benson II
John Bloody Wayne
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ONETWOFOREVER
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
13 posters

Go down

Tommy Morrison Empty Tommy Morrison

Post by hampo17 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 10:57 am

Sad news today as former Heavyweight Boxing Champion Tommy Morrison has died at the age of 44. The news has been confirmed by his wife Trisha following “The Duke’s” declining health over the past year due to a courageous battle with Miller Fisher Syndrome/Guillain Barre Syndrome.

According to “The Duchess”, Morrison passed away at 11:50 PM on September 1st. The cause of death was respiratory and metabolic acidosis and multiple organ failure. 
Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tommy Morrison Empty Re: Tommy Morrison

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 11:19 am

A horrible illness ..........and my heart goes out to his family....

Morrison was a working class hero who gave great entertainment and overachieved..

His fights with Williams, Mercer and Ruddock were all top class entertainment.....

The last of the white hopes he had a lot to be proud of and am sorry he's gone at such a young age..

A charismatic personality in a drone-age.........

RIP Tommy..

There were heavies that were better but none more exciting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Sep 2013, 11:29 am

There is a huge saga around Morrison's illness and death that has been widely discussed for many years in the media and in forums. It's a sorry story with denial being a central theme.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 11:34 am

Well he's dead........His family are in mourning and it doesn't serve to bring up any old stuff.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Sep 2013, 11:39 am

His death has been reported many times. I'll wait for a credible source as in a mainstream news agency.

It's important because peoples lives are at stake.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Sep 2013, 12:41 pm

Sad to hear this news IF TRUE

Always had time for Tommy 1 of my fave fighters of the 90's. Such potential. Never forget what he did to Bent and Rudduck and what Mercer did to him.

Thoughts go out to his family, friends, and anyone who was lucky enough to be a boxing fan back in the 90's

R.I.P IF TRUE

Last edited by ONETWOFOREVER on Mon 02 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 02 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

Lets all be honest, he died of AIDS. Terrible way to die, only read an article on him last week which basically said he was on his lasts.

Sometimes thats what fame and money does to a young man and he ultimately paid the price

RIP The Duke

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Sep 2013, 12:47 pm

At this sad time, it would be respectful not to mention Rocky V

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 02 Sep 2013, 1:07 pm

Rest in Peace Tommy. Him and Dempsey will be comparing left hooks now.

What is miller fisher syndrome?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 1:24 pm

I think it's a muscle wasting disease...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 02 Sep 2013, 1:44 pm

If anyone is interested in the article I read the other day:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9588582/tommy-morrison-latest-big-fight

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 02 Sep 2013, 2:24 pm

I heard a few days back that he was on the verge of death and was thinking about writing an article about it but didnt bother given that he's been on the "verge of death" for the past several years.
Dude has been pretty much a zombie for the past few years - Disease, drugs, booze, pre-existing mental issues, stress, etc. He was floating in and out of reality for many years now.
He even got pec implants so that people wouldn't think his muscles were wasting away. He didnt want people to know he was sick and weak. Those implants became infected - hence the chest surgery in late 2011.
Strange man whose life became a complete car wreak. Hope he rests in peace regardless.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:43 pm

http://celebrityplasticsurgerypics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tommy-morrison-plastic-surgery-before.html

It would appear that he had pec implants.

Regardless, here he is at his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTUl8F2ihTU

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:51 pm

Definitely a sad story...

Young heavyweight hopeful with the world at his feet, movie, big fights... then out of no where - HIV.

As another poster had said, it's sad that (given the medication available now) his AID's denial became increasingly worse and worse. The circle of people he was involved in tried to help to no avail.

Thoughts are with his family (even if the reports of his passing are untrue) as they've not had access to him in nearly 2 years. It would seem that they accepted this outcome a long time ago though.

RIP Duke.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

Seems to be confirmed

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9626860/ex-heavyweight-champ-tommy-morrison-dies-44

ESPN are skeptical about the cause, but pretty certain about the death. RIP

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Sep 2013, 5:21 pm

Rest well Tommy

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 02 Sep 2013, 5:42 pm

44 no age at all,RIP Tommy.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 03 Sep 2013, 8:11 am

Such a shame. The man had some talent and a humdinger of a left hook. Don't think he was ever in a dull fight.

Thoughts are with his family. RIP The Duke.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:44 am

An unpredictable and crazy life story which has come to a sadly premature end. RIP, and all the best to his loved ones.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:13 pm

With the likes of such talent of Holy, Bowe, Lewis, Forman, Tyson, Mercer, Tommy held his own and I would include him in that roster of outstanding heavies. He could not quite make it to the top of the tree but imo his legacy is that he will be remembered with an era equal to or 2nd to the great heavies of the 70's.

I wonder how Tommy would have done had he been that young puncher today? I reckon he would be champ but not sure if he would take the K-brothers. I see him taking out the rest of the sorry lot tho including Haye.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:42 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:With the likes of such talent of Holy, Bowe, Lewis, Forman, Tyson, Mercer, Tommy held his own and I would include him in that roster of outstanding heavies. He could not quite make it to the top of the tree but imo his legacy is that he will be remembered with an era equal to or 2nd to the great heavies of the 70's.

I wonder how Tommy would have done had he been that young puncher today? I reckon he would be champ but not sure if he would take the K-brothers. I see him taking out the rest of the sorry lot tho including Haye.

Kind of hard to judge Morrison as I'd imagine that he was very heavily reliant on anabolics in order to mantain his size and strength. I guess the same could be said of most HW's (Whistle) but with his reckless lifestyle outside the ring, I'm very skeptical on how successful Tommy would have been without them (would he even have weighed above 180lb?)
Regardless of that, both K's take him out without too much fuss. I'd also make Haye favourite to beat him as Tommy's chin was poor, nor was it difficult to find. Solid and well-drilled boxers like Chagaev and Povetkin would better him over 12 rounds. 
He beats the likes of Fury, Thompson, Adamek etc and his power makes him a dangerous opponent for anyone no doubt.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 03 Sep 2013, 4:58 pm

Best for best I'd make him favourite over all of them other than the K's and arguably Haye. If his left gets within a couple of inches of Wlad's chin he could knock him out, but Wlad wins by KO more often than not.

Tommy being the more natural (ooh er) heavy than Haye and neither of them having a chin to rely on, it's not hard to see Haye getting taken out ala Ruddock, or him doing a Lennox on him.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down