The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should school cricketers show mercy in thrashings?

+2
Biltong
kingraf
6 posters

Go down

Should school cricketers show mercy in thrashings? Empty Should school cricketers show mercy in thrashings?

Post by kingraf Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:12 pm

First things first... My u/14 cricket team now has two wins out three! Great Cinderella story given that we were all out for 17 in our first match, only had nine players and leaked 180 runs (20/20 league). From then on, we have faced schools far above us in means and cricketing culture, and have scored 140, and 80 in our following matches.

Today's win, was not, however well deserved. The lads hadnt been to practice in a week, due to them being lazy (a fact which annoyed me as I make 20km trips from work to get to them). We won the toss and batted first on an absolute carpet. After ten overs we were six wickkets down for about 40, when the opposing coach told his team to try make a match of it, intentionally missed stumpings. A ring of silly fielders, and seventh and eighth choice bowlers, all of these helped us crawl to 80 all out.

In a further display of mind-numbing arrogance, he decided to give his three kids who hadnt played before the top three slots... Six overs later, they were seven wickets down. No worries he said, his best batsmen were coming up... A minor choke later it was all over, we had one by nine runs.

My question is, are you for a team trying to make a game more competitive? I personally believe that if you have a team down, you step on their throats and kill them off.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Should school cricketers show mercy in thrashings? Empty Re: Should school cricketers show mercy in thrashings?

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Kudo's firstly for taking your time to coach age cricket.

I think it very much depends on how serious the league is and what age group you are talking about.

When my son played cricket (prior to me stripping my moer and taking him out due to nepotism) at his age group firplay and opportunties were supposedly the watch word.

But I would think at U 14 age it should be serious and competitive.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Should school cricketers show mercy in thrashings? Empty Re: Should school cricketers show mercy in thrashings?

Post by kingraf Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I agree... I just think, no one learns from being pitied, and even if you win, you come across as a right doos.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Yeah, you almost feel they are patronising you.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:47 am

No devil 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:33 am

I think no-one learns from the experience you describe Kingraf.

If there is the likelihood of a genuine mismatch, then I have no issues with the stronger team selecting some "lesser" players. This way these guys have the chance to play and learn and there may be a contest. Equally I would accept a side declaring earlier than they usually would - as then the bowlers will have some pressure to perform. However once the match starts players should play to the best of their abilities, within the laws and spirit of the game, and not deliberately make mistakes etc.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 am

At that age the team should play to win and to the best of their abilities. No point in patronising the opposition, which is bad for both parties.

I believe players are asked to declare when they get to 40 in U15 T20 cricket. This rule should be scrapped straight away, if true.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Should never deliberately play badly...I have no problem with a superior team varying batting order to allow lesser players a hit , or using occasional bowlers (when else should they experiment ?) , but stupid field placings and deliberate missing of chances is bad for everyone.

Anyway make the most of it : presumably your lads know they were gifted this time , but they also know they had the ability to make their opponents pay for overdone arrogance , so hopefully they will take some confidence forward...and some resolve not to be objects of pity next time they meet that team !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down