The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricket a threat to rugby?

+18
funnyExiledScot
Scrumpy
Irish Londoner
ChequeredJersey
Hound of Harrow
Pat_Mustard
Comfort
Cyril
nganboy
marty2086
Jimpy
LondonTiger
ScarletSpiderman
Bathman_in_London
formerly known as Sam
tigerleghorn
Corporalhumblebucket
tigertattie
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cricket a threat to rugby? - Page 2 Empty Cricket a threat to rugby?

Post by tigertattie Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've just found out a very worrying statistic.

In SCOTLAND there are MORE cricket clubs than there are rugby clubs.

Apparently, cricket is the fastest growing sport in Scotland.

What the actual Smeg!!!

I've only watched one game of cricket. And I started watching the grass growing after 20 mins. Could it be that cricket will become more popular in Scotland than rugby??? Is this why Scottish rugby is in decline at grass roots? Are the youth of today more into cricket???Headscratch 
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Cricket a threat to rugby? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cricket a threat to rugby?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
whocares wrote:Can someone explain me the basic cricket rules (enough for me to watch a game and understand 99% of what's going on) in less than 100 words?
Two teams of 11.

One team bats, the other bowls.

The batting team aims to score "runs" by (i) running between the two ends (each time is one "run"), or (ii) hitting the ball over the ropes on the edge of the ground (four runs or six runs, depending on whether you hit the ball clean over or not).

The bowling team aims to "bowl out" the batting team. Batsmen are "out": (i) if the ball hits the stumps behind them, (ii) if they hit the ball in the air and are caught, or (iii) by using their legs to protect the stumps (known as "LBW" or "leg before wicket").

The team with the most runs wins.

Busted! Everyone, I think FeS has just admitted to being one of the cricket playing Scots.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:43 pm

whocares wrote:Rolling Eyes that was a genuine question, now am even more confused!
Apologies, it's an old chestnut. FeS has summed it up very well.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 05 Sep 2013, 4:01 pm

thumbsup cheers SS and FeS

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:10 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:- If they produce a good player the player has to go to another country to play at the higher level and make a living from the game (usually England)."

It must have been irritating for the Irish that two of their own, Boyd Rankin & Eoin Morgan did so much damage for England against Ireland in the ODI the other day.
It was more irritating as an Englishman hearing that England had to rely on two Irishman to beat Ireland at cricket. I know it was far from being a full strength England side but still....

Quite funny that it was also the normally inconsistent Ravi Bopara who saved the day too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm

beshocked wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:- If they produce a good player the player has to go to another country to play at the higher level and make a living from the game (usually England)."

It must have been irritating for the Irish that two of their own, Boyd Rankin & Eoin Morgan did so much damage for England against Ireland in the ODI the other day.
It was more irritating as an Englishman hearing that England had to rely on two Irishman to beat Ireland at cricket. I know it was far from being a full strength England side but still....

Quite funny that it was also the normally inconsistent Ravi Bopara who saved the day too.
Bopara could be a real top class player if he was a bit more consistent. A serious heavy-hitter and a decent back-up bowler too.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2