The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A welcome in the hillside for The Open?

3 posters

Go down

A welcome in the hillside for The Open? Empty A welcome in the hillside for The Open?

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:04 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/10297534/Royal-Porthcawl-in-line-to-be-Waless-first-Open-Championship-venue.html

Didn't think there would be the room for an Open at Porthcawl but with a slight re-gig of the course together with financial input from the Welsh Government seems it could be possible.

It helps of course that the club doesn't gender discriminate.Whistle

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

A welcome in the hillside for The Open? Empty Re: A welcome in the hillside for The Open?

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:18 pm

The Welsh side of my ancestry would love to see Golf showcased in Wales.
But the businessman side of my career laments the p1ss poor support the Wales Open receives from Pros and Public alike.
If the R&A is no longer concerned about paying spectators, given the windfall of TV revenue, it's surely all the more lamentable (discriminatory?) that neither RCD nor Portrush seems to be in with a whisper, let alone a shout.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

A welcome in the hillside for The Open? Empty Re: A welcome in the hillside for The Open?

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:37 pm

kwini, if the R&A can't be put bums on seats then it's failing in it's duty to promote the game.  Be interesting to see how they price it next year (Hoylake).

I would like to see it return to Portrush where huge crowds can be banked on.  Perhaps the Northern Irish Government isn't showing sufficient interest though?

Tiger Woods will be thrilled.tomato  Just as well it can't take place at Royal Porthcawl for at least another five years assuming it goes there at all.  Given all his problems, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd retired from the game by then.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 12 Sep 2013, 11:27 am

They'd have to do a Hoylake and move the holes around. The 18th couldn't be the 18th. Plenty of room for grandstands on the 17th though and make the 18th the 1st. Great test tho it is it would probably need some lengthening for the Open I would say

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 12 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm

JAS ... ahem -

Furthermore, due to the increased TV revenue of recent years, the R & A is no longer so concerned with the numbers paying on the gate and thanks to a plan to use what is normally the 17th as the final hole for the Seniors there is ample space for the grandstands and hospitality tents.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down