The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greg Norman 1996 Masters riddle solved...

+12
navyblueshorts
super_realist
Skydriver
pedro
golfermartin
BlueCoverman
Plunky
Shotrock
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
McLaren
robopz
16 posters

Go down

Greg Norman 1996 Masters riddle solved...  Empty Greg Norman 1996 Masters riddle solved...

Post by robopz Tue 10 Sep 2013, 2:01 pm

From Reuters.... "It is an excuse 17 years in the making but former world number one Greg Norman has finally come up with an explanation for his infamous final-round flop at the 1996 U.S. Masters which gifted Briton Nick Faldo the famed 'Green Jacket'.

"There's more to it than people realize because I did have back issues that morning," the 58-year-old told the "Australian Story" program on state broadcaster ABC.

No... There is no September 10th equivalent to April Fools Day... He actually said it (see: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/greg-norman-says-bad-back-was-reason-behind-his-final-day-collapse-at-1996-us-masters/story-fnibbwxt-1226715788210 ) It even has video.

Actually I heard this story the first time about 3 months ago... and my reaction was the same.... "Yeah Greg... you go with that." Sheesh...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Greg Norman 1996 Masters riddle solved...  Empty Re: Greg Norman 1996 Masters riddle solved...

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm

I wonder what Lee Westwood will come up with in 2031?

I guess Greg is trying to convince himself to help battle some inner daemons as there is no way anyone else will be fooled.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Greg Norman 1996 Masters riddle solved...  Empty Re: Greg Norman 1996 Masters riddle solved...

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Sep 2013, 2:50 pm

Who cares?
He'll be the best modern-day two-Major golfer and no better than that. But certainly no worse!
Wish Greg would stfu, make better wine and design better golfcourses.
Wonder if back trouble was the reason for his break-up with Chrissie?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:07 pm

kwini wrote:Who cares?
Anyone who wishes to comment on this thread I guess?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:14 pm

Yes, My comment was directed to divas whose every word is seized upon by the media rather than the quality of the thread.
I'd like to hear about Greg Norman going forward, if he still is . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm

this is the guy who rips on Tiger about once a month in order to still feel relevant. . back issues? more like back-bone issues.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:11 pm

That's why I call him Greg "The Ego" Norman! Tremendous drive, determination and obviously a world class golfer ... but evidently delusional.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Tue 10 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm

Apparently wife #1 was not at all surprised that marriage # 2 did not last long as "..they are the two most narcissistic people on the planet".

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 11 Sep 2013, 11:23 am

Not that I am particularly a fan of Greg Norman but to be fair it is hardly a new story is it. Greg spoke at some length about the back pain he suffered before and during the 1996 Masters, in his book 'The Way of the Shark' published as long ago as 2006. The pain was so intense on the Wednesday that he had to cancel his practice round and Fred Couples who had seen Greg struggling on the practice range sent him his back therapist to give him some assistance.

To be honest Greg's drive, determination and energy to create successful world-wide business interests impresses me more than some former players who do little more than keep droning on about past and previous golfing glories.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 11 Sep 2013, 11:58 am

His back didn't stop him getting to 17 under on the first three days though did it? For some reason he just couldn't go head to head with Faldo. Tied after two rounds at St Andrews, went out with Faldo third round, disappeared never to be seen again, Faldo wins. And Faldo shot 67 in that Masters final round.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:00 pm

And Tigers near-broken leg didn't stop him from winning the US Open a few years ago...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:03 pm

I once heard a story that the collapse had something to do with wife #1... and another woman she found with Greg on that Saturday night when paying him a surprise visit.

Likely to be complete fabrication of course (someone I once met said he knows a bloke who knew Greg's caddie who said...).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm

pedro wrote:And Tigers near-broken leg didn't stop him from winning the US Open a few years ago...
Wish people would stop going on about that as if it was a double compound fracture with both bones sticking through his trouser leg.
It was a stress fracture FFS. Not exactly Bert Trautman.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm

Tiger's what ... 20X the clutch golfer Ego Norman ever was? Not even a close comparison.

Greg, I'm sure, feels otherwise.

Yea, no scoring problem with the back the first 3 days ... but all of the sudden ...Rolling Eyes 

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:And Tigers near-broken leg didn't stop him from winning the US Open a few years ago...
Wish people would stop going on about that as if it was a double compound fracture with both bones sticking through his trouser leg.
it was one of the most heroic performances in sport. I highly recommend you read the Haney book to get a glimpse of what a remarkable win it really was.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:49 pm

Get stuffed. Golf isn't strenuous. He had to walk and hit perhaps 30 full shots. Boo bloody hoo. I'd be amazed if EVERY golfer couldn't do the same if they had similarly weak bodies.

Heroic is an stupidly overused word, it's his job, so no different to going to work with a stree fracture..

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:51 pm

Skydriver wrote:I once heard a story that the collapse had something to do with wife #1... and another woman she found with Greg on that Saturday night when paying him a surprise visit.
Sounds like Mesut Ozil in Real Madrid.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 12 Sep 2013, 2:21 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
it was one of the most heroic performances in sport. I highly recommend you read the Haney book to get a glimpse of what a remarkable win it really was.
Laugh (really need a huge :guffaw: for this one)...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:07 pm

Is it true that Faldo was in Normans ear a lot during that final round in order to put him under extra pressure? Was there a bit of gamesmanship involved?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 17 Sep 2013, 8:08 pm

Not according to Greg. He stated that he and Faldo barely made eye contact during the round, let alone get into a conversation. But when Nick holed his final putt he came directly over to Greg and said "I don't know what to say other than I just want to give you a hug". He then added "Don't let the bast@rds get you down" (meaning the media)

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:14 am

yes Greg had a lot of praise for Nick in the post round interview, so its doubtful there was any gamesmanship going on.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruglia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:07 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Not according to Greg. He stated that he and Faldo barely made eye contact during the round, let alone get into a conversation. But when Nick holed his final putt he came directly over to Greg and said "I don't know what to say other than I just want to give you a hug". He then added "Don't let the bast@rds get you down" (meaning the media)
Is that really what was said? I remember Norman wouldn't say at the time what was said but respected Faldo even more for what he had said to him. And in Faldo's bio, he wouldn't divulge what was said either. Haven't read Norman's book. From what I heard about it, it's as much about his businesses as about golf which put me off. Is it any good?

Aruglia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:37 am

Aruglia, you have heard absolutely correctly, the entire book is about his businesses and barely anything about golf! i was very disappointed. I thought Terry Venables's was bad but Greg's is officially the worst sporting autobiography i have read.
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:09 am

According to Greg in his book that is what Faldo said to him Aruglia. MPB is perhaps a touch harsh, there is certainly a lot about business in the book and very little about his personal life, his separation and divorce from his wife Laura after 25 years barely gets a mention and there is nothing about his relationship with Chris Evert-Lloyd.

I enjoyed it though and would say it's worth a read. My judgement could well be clouded of course, by the fact that I read it last month whilst on holiday lounging around the pool with a cold beer in the sunshine!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:23 am

Depends on what you're after Blue. If i wanted to read about business i'd have bought Alan Sugar's book.

I bought the autobiography of one of the greatest golfers of all time hoping to hear how he got into golf, made it up the ladder, what he was thinking during shots, why he played certain shots, how he played them. This is what most golf bios contain.

There was very little about sport, in my opinion, and i was most let down by the book
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruglia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:16 am

Thanks MPB and BC. I would tend to agree with MPB. I have no real interest in Norman's business successes(or struggles). Would have thought there was plenty of drama in golfing career to make a good book but maybe not.

Aruglia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:55 am

That said, if you offered me a holiday lounging around the pool with a cold beer in the sunshine on the proviso i read it again - i'd probably give it a go! Very Happy
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:16 pm

I think it's a stretch to call him one of the greatest golfers of all time. Greatness is measured in performance under pressure, and Greg has shown repeatedly that his bottle is even more fragile than 9 chins' ACL.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:00 pm

Inco, really?!
Two majors (not enough granted) and at least two r/ups in each other major. 89 professional wins. 3 time PGA tour money leader. 7 times ended the year at world number 1. A combined 331 weeks at world number 1, only beaten by Tiger Woods.

Not one of the greatest? Do me a favour!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:19 pm

incontinentia wrote:Greatness is measured in performance under pressure.
Says who?

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 6:23 pm

greatness is all about Majors. you would probably need more than 3 to be considered a true great.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:14 pm

That's one aspect of a great many contributing factors to greatness. To say because of one flaw Norman wasn't a great, despite all his other achievements, is just silly. In my opinion of course
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down