The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staff Picks For Mayweather vs Alvarez.

+23
Steffan
OasisBFC
The Terror of Tylorstown
hogey
RatBoy66
Scottrff
milkyboy
Soldier_Of_Fortune
huw
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
rIck_dAgless
paperbag_puncher
jimdig
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Diamond in the rough
School Project
AlexHuckerby
hampo17
27 posters

Go down

Staff Picks For Mayweather vs Alvarez. Empty Staff Picks For Mayweather vs Alvarez.

Post by hampo17 Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 pm

The staff team have given their predictions for this weekends fight, do you agree with them? Which way do you see it going?

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/09/staff-picks-for-mayweather-vs-alvarez.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Staff Picks For Mayweather vs Alvarez. Empty Re: Staff Picks For Mayweather vs Alvarez.

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm

I genuinely reckon it's as close to a pick 'em as we will ever see for a floyd fight. Give Alvarez a decent chance, he has enough in him to win 7 rounds through his size and genuinely good boxing ability, but Floyd has the skill to make him look rather silly.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Staff Picks For Mayweather vs Alvarez. Empty Re: Staff Picks For Mayweather vs Alvarez.

Post by School Project Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Liked your thoughts Paul.

Alvarez likes to throw his shorts when are feet are firmly planted (think of Cotto when he used to circle, stop, throw then move). Against Mayweather he'll need to FORCE Mayweather back with a fast jab without leaving himself open to Floyds straight right (Mayweathers main and effective weapon).

The key to Alvarez's success will be to throw his vicious body shots if/when Floyd is against the ropes to drop the hands and stop any affective head movements.

Floyd however will need to avoid moving back in straight lines (like you saw in the Moseley and Ortiz fights). This, to me, is his only weakness. His timing however is the best in the sport and will be the key difference in the fight. Alvarez is open when he throws the right, unlike his guard (right hand up when the left hook is thrown), if Floyd is able to step back out of range, he will be able to sneak one or two in.

Personally, I have this a Mayweather fight (close points decision). That's providing Alvarez doesn't lose his head, if he's unable to keep Mayweather against those ropes and leaves himself open when throwing his 3 or 4 power combos, then a wider result.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 pm

How's it going Alex, long time no speak matey!

Hit the nail on the head... he may have 7 rounds in him. He can gas, if he switches off just once with Mayweather, it'll cost him!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:41 pm

I see alverez getting a poor decision similar to the burns one! Don't know why just have a feeling

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 pm

I don't think Canelo has the stamina to win more than 5 rounds as he isn't known for his stamina already and he will be 2lbs extra drained for this fight

I do think he has the power and size to really hurt floyd if he can get him on the ropes. Floyd has a great defence and catches a lot on his arms, but he can't afford to let canelo hit him even if it is his arms his shots will be so much heavier than he's use to and could wear him down

Floyds gameplan is simple, keep moving and keep countering

Canelo needs to get the jab working, get him on the ropes, hammer away to the body and when ge needs  a rest put all of his weight onfloyd as he could well be 15+lbs hevauer on the night and floyds legs (excluding the guerrero fight were he was awesome) have seemed to slow as any 36 year old would

Hard to pick against Floyd though

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 am

As the fight gets closer, it becomes more intriguing in the sense that Alvarez looks absolutely huge in comparison, is younger and punches a lot harder. Saying that Mosley said they punch about the same...who knows.

I can smell a hint of an upset, but only 30% of me says that.

Going for a Floyd 116-112 mark, close and competitive but with Floyds more precise and eye catching shots winning him the fight.

Its great to see such a competitive fight though.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:07 am

Bold pick Mr Union

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 am

It's such a complicated fight. I don't think floyd will let Canelo force him to the ropes the way he let cotto put him there. Can't see floyd getting hit clean. Can see floyds hands giving problems, as he will be loading up on that overhand right when ever the opertunity to land occurs. I can't see past a floyd points win, but I think it'll be close, floyd clearly winning the last 3 rounds after Canelo gases.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 am

Can't wait for this. Such an exciting and intriguing fight. Gotta hope that if a mumified Shane Mosely can catch him and shake him to his boots 3 years ago then Canelo has a chance. Hard to look past Floyd on points though..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 am

I have a funny feeling that Mayweather will finish this inside the distance, he may want to prove a point, and as Alvarez tires, he could get caught.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:12 am

Think that Rowley and Chris are in the right ballpark with the likely verdicts in Floyd's favour. Would add that I believe that Jeff may have it absolutely spot on in suggesting that the scores will be underestimating Floyd's control of the contest (cf a couple of the cards for Ward-Froch).

Suspect that Floyd is right when he says that experience will be the deciding factor in this one. See no reason why Canelo should not put on a perfectly meritorious performance and still end up comfortably second best. It won't be a disgrace and he is young enough to profit from the experience.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:18 am

Remember when Seconds Out did this in the run up to Calzaghe Lacy and something like 29 out of 31 picked Lacy. When Alvarez takes him out inside a round do we have to do a follow up piece explaining how we got it so epically wrong as they all did?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 am

Something about reading our words too carefully and not setting them in proper context or following the implied message suggested by them should do the trick, Jeff.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 am

Although praying for Alvarez win can only echo the consensus on this one, Mayweather will edge him with a points victory. Don't think it will be a decent fight for the fans as have the feeling Alvarez is going to box this one as he did with Trout, except Matweather will sharp shoot and pick up valuable Pts.

No doubt Truss and Azumah will discount the win as they did with Mannys because it was catchweight.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 am

Rowley wrote:Remember when Seconds Out did this in the run up to Calzaghe Lacy and something like 29 out of 31 picked Lacy. When Alvarez takes him out inside a round do we have to do a follow up piece explaining how we got it so epically wrong as they all did?
Zoomy is still claiming I picked Hatton to beat Mayweather.........and giving it to me when he appears....

When I actually got that one right.....So sometimes you can't win either way Mate !!

Hatton ko 6 Manny.........Is one I try to forget though...

Rodders I'd love to have your top 10 alltime list on my thread !!

I know they'll be no one after the Korean war.........But i'd love to see it anyway..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:26 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Something about reading our words too carefully and not setting them in proper context or following the implied message suggested by them should do the trick, Jeff.
No-one is going to take your prediction seriously, Captain. I still remember how badly wrong you got the Groves v DeGale fight.....Whistle 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:27 am

Gonna need to be a superhuman effort from Alvarez. Let's not forget this is the guy who couldn't get Matthew Hatton out of there inside the distance and whilst it was a shut out, you'd think a guy being touted as a possible conquerer of Mayweather would have been able to put enough shots to gether to force a stoppage.

One way or the other, I'd like to to be a clear non-controversial victory becasue, as much fun as it is, I don't think I can bear another three months of "Mayweather was robbed/Canelo was robbed" articles

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:30 am

Would like your list too..Dave.........

If you can't think of Ten...Five will do Mate !!thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 am

The sad thing is that I'm still dining out on a fight that took place more than two years ago, Tino!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Would like your list too..Dave.........

If you can't think of Ten...Five will do Mate !!thumbsup 
What list?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:42 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:The sad thing is that I'm still dining out on a fight that took place more than two years ago, Tino!
The fact you called it to within the nth degree gives you a few more years on that one.

Did you put money on it at the time?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:48 am

I did indeed; bookies don't often get their pricing of fights wrong, but I thought that they were over-generous in their assessment of Groves' odds in that one and I got paid off quite well.

In general, though, the best boxing value in the UK is to be had in backing the opponent of British fighters in world title fights. Weight of money often forces the price of the home fighter to be artificially short and means that the overseas contender represents a bargain. All you're looking for is a point or so over the mark and then you wade in with as much as you can sensibly risk.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

There will only be one winner here.

Would expect Mayweather to win every round yet can't help but think there may be a judging problem here with Alvarez getting a strange decision.

He is younger, a huge fanbase and although not the money maker Mayweather is, a win over him may propel him into that league which makes me feel a fix may be on the cards (pun intended!).

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:00 pm

I had my doubts with Mayweather against Guerrero, thinking Guerrero's piston like jab could give Mayweather a few problems, but he got peppered with the lead right hand all night. Half the time I didn't even see them coming. I've learned my lesson backing against him.

I just see another Mayweather schooling. Although Alvarez maybe heavier. I was suprised to see the they look around the same height. I always thought Alvarez was quite tall for some reason. With Mayweathers speed and athleticism, I can only see another schooling UD. Around 119-109 118-110. Alvarez will be in the fight for the first two rounds before Mayweather figures out his flaws and schools him.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Think there is a fair bit of playing down Alvarez chances on here..trying to hide the disappoint and scale of a probable Mayweather victory........

People forget he is 36 and the well does run dry at some point......

Still think Canelo can win this If he can force a pace..........However my concern is that he's already spent his huge payday in his head and......

1. Wants the ability to spend the money with his facilities in tact so may not risk all..

2. Doesn't think he can win.........anyway..

Canelo by late stoppage........Mayweather by unanimous decision..

side with the latter.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:32 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:I did indeed; bookies don't often get their pricing of fights wrong, but I thought that they were over-generous in their assessment of Groves' odds in that one and I got paid off quite well.

In general, though, the best boxing value in the UK is to be had in backing the opponent of British fighters in world title fights. Weight of money often forces the price of the home fighter to be artificially short and means that the overseas contender represents a bargain. All you're looking for is a point or so over the mark and then you wade in with as much as you can sensibly risk.
Think that principle works in general captain. In a brit v us  clash, if you bet on the on the yank with a uk bookie and the brit with a us bookie, you might have a small arbitrage. Assuming you have a shed load of cash to make it worthwhile. That's the theory, think the practice is more complicated.

As for canelo's chances. In theory I could see his size and strength causing problems if he was a pressure fighter. He's not though, so unless he has something up his sleeve I see this as a little easier for floyd than most.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Good points Milk..........But Hagler was never a brawler before Hearns........

Which begs the question he's bigger, stronger and more powerful....

Why not try his luck.......

Or try a Hatton-esque approach.......

He won't though

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Hearns got on Hagler's nerves, though, in a way that perhaps only Minter had done beforehand during Marv's championship career (Seales did after their drawn first fight a few years previously). No coincidence that Marv went for the all-out war approach against Minter and Hearns, although he was rather forced into it by Tommy's tactics and by the fact that Minter went all gung-ho after catching Marv with one decent shot.

I don't see any of this pre-fight animus from Canelo towards Floyd; the whole thing is all rather respectful and devoid of rough edges at the moment, which can only be in FMJ's favour, I would think. Alvarez doesn't look the sort of fighter who will deviate from his normal path on the hoof, so I doubt that he will surprise Mayweather on the evening with something unexpected.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:54 pm

I think Hagler was more concerned with Hearns jab and right cross and wanted to neutralise it Captain..

Long range was no good for Hagler........

But you might be right.............

Thing is I thought Minter was doing alright until the cuts got out of control..

backed him up too..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Not a pop at floyd, because it was the obvious fight out there, but I think he was keen on it, because he knows what's coming and knows he's seen it all before. I hope Canelo surprises us and has a real go, but I think he'll set himself, get picked off regroup set himself get picked off all night...

Been wrong before though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Union drew the short straw?

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Canelo will have his moments, but a shut out for Mayweather. The size difference isn't as I had been led to believe and this is a huge step up. It could well be a repeat of the Hatton fight, as in Mayweather stopping him around the 10th.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Good article here (top boxing website):

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles/17206-what-to-watch-for-wylies-dissects-mayweather-and-canelos-game-part-1

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:08 pm

RatBoy66 wrote:Canelo will have his moments, but a shut out for Mayweather. The size difference isn't as I had been led to believe and this is a huge step up. It could well be a repeat of the Hatton fight, as in Mayweather stopping him around the 10th.
A Mayweather stoppage would be impressive

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Got a feeling this will be the fight were Floyd comes unstuck, Canelo is the first opponent i have thought has a real chance to beat him for many years and i dont think the mind games will work with him like they have with previous Floyd opponents. That saying i still wont be surprised if we see a Floyd masterclass and he wins nearly every round.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:15 pm

hogey wrote:Got a feeling this will be the fight were Floyd comes unstuck, That saying i still wont be surprised if we see a Floyd masterclass and he wins nearly every round.
You won't be my political advisor when I run for the white house in 2024 Hogey...Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:15 pm

hogey wrote:Got a feeling this will be the fight were Floyd comes unstuck, Canelo is the first opponent i have thought has a real chance to beat him for many years and i dont think the mind games will work with him like they have with previous Floyd opponents. That saying i still wont be surprised if we see a Floyd masterclass and he wins nearly every round.
Could be a draw as well.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote:Got a feeling this will be the fight were Floyd comes unstuck, That saying i still wont be surprised if we see a Floyd masterclass and he wins nearly every round.
You won't be my political advisor when I run for the white house in 2024 Hogey...Cool 
Don't you mean waddle for the White House...and to be fair I think Chris Waddle has more chance than you

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Hasn't got the charm and good looks...........

Misses penalties too..

The mullet might win a few votes in backwater Kansas though !!Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think Hagler was more concerned with Hearns jab and right cross and wanted to neutralise it Captain..

Long range was no good for Hagler........

But you might be right.............

Thing is I thought Minter was doing alright until the cuts got out of control..

backed him up too..
Without the cut Hagler/Minter looked like it was going to turn into a great fight, it wasn't all that one sided from memory.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Nothing is certain in boxing, but Floyd aint knocking anyone out, anytime soon and certainly not a bigger, stronger Alvarez.

And Alvarez doesn't have huge power, he couldn't KO M Hatton as stated above, or Trout, Mosley so I don't think he'll be able to land enough to stop Mayweather.

It's very likely to go to points and I'm leaning to a Mayweather win with a generally easy decision but with a few highlights from Saul.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:26 pm

OasisBFC wrote:Nothing is certain in boxing, but Floyd aint knocking anyone out
Laugh 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
RatBoy66 wrote:Canelo will have his moments, but a shut out for Mayweather. The size difference isn't as I had been led to believe and this is a huge step up. It could well be a repeat of the Hatton fight, as in Mayweather stopping him around the 10th.
A Mayweather stoppage would be impressive
I won't be putting any money on it!

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Alvarez will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:53 pm

In previous fights Canelo has been very economical with his punches going on the theory that better quality work is beater than a high work rate with a low hit rate. If he tries that against Mayweather he could lose every round.

Looks like a chess match rather than a war and I'm guessing Alvarez could get gun shy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:54 pm

I still believe the "blueprint" to beating Floyd is to make him come get you. He is the one who has to entertain, he is the one who needs to give people a reason to come back. Go in with no intention of bringing the fight, the alternative has not worked for anyone, may as well try my way.

In any case, Floyd will win.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:30 pm

As much as I'm looking forward to the fight and hoping Canelo wins, in reality I'm expecting it to be a stinker with Floyd countering his way to a wide UD.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Mayweather more than likely outpoints Canelo,but for me Canelo has to stay close and on top of Mayweather to stand a chance,he stands off he gets picked off and beat easy.

This is physically the biggest fighter Mayweathers been in with, the kids gonna be middleweight going into the ring no doubt about.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down