The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Credit to Meyer and De Villiers

+2
Taylorman
Mr Fishpaste
6 posters

Go down

Credit to Meyer and De Villiers Empty Credit to Meyer and De Villiers

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun 15 Sep 2013, 7:43 pm

I must say, given all that went on at Eden Park, I've been impressed with Meyer and De Villiers' refusal to play the blame game (for which they would've had ample justification), rather focusing on the Springbok's own shortcomings in the game. Also, I've been impressed with De Villiers: he's been subject to several nasty tackles (Nonu, and Tuilagi come to mind) but has responded with utmost civility (contrary to prevailing stereotypes of the Springbok 'Thug' type). Good show!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Credit to Meyer and De Villiers Empty Re: Credit to Meyer and De Villiers

Post by Taylorman Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:09 pm

yes that was excellent. Henry and co were the same with Barnes in 07 and it pans out better in the long run to take that approach. Its the sign of a mature style of managing the side that will do more for them than just bickering away. Besides, they know that fans will do all that for them, as did the 07 AB fans. At the time I simply couldnt understand how they just took it that well but now appreciate just how big a thing it is to do. I think it was a major reason why Henry got reappointed, his handling of the loss.

I expect things to pan out for the boks in a similar way. That was a tough ask and it will be interesting to see if Meyer maintains the same line over the next few days- the easier thing to do being to join the masses instead. Hopefully he doesnt fall into that trap, so much more coming from it in terms of character if he doesnt. No one would blame him, but theres a bigger picture here if he maintains that stance, paticularly with the progress the boks have made this year.

Besides...he can always bring it out in his book later...perhaps also after having won a world cup or similar...

Last edited by Taylorman on Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:12 pm

Lets be honest here: Wayne Barnes performance was much worse and had a far greater impact.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:21 pm

MrFishpaste, Meyer and de Villiers may have shown a brave face in public, but you can believe he was seething inside.

He wears his heart on his sleeve, an I believe that must have been very difficult for him.

For being able to keep his pose I give him kudo's
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:28 pm

for sure. Thats why that stance outwardly means so much. Its the hardest thing to do from that position... a loss having a direct impact on his career. Be interesting if Meyer can maintain it until after the next AB match. Being completely silent on the matter will serve him well in the end...watch this space...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:47 pm

Yup, full respect to the SA team and players for taking it on the chin. JDV was impressive in the way he handled both the lead up and aftermath of the game. I like the cut of his gib as I did Smit's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:30 pm

jdv's impressed all year and great to see Meyer in the same mode. Its vital that they hold that stance and move forward. lets hope the return match fares better on the ref side because the whole affair destroyed a potentially great finish.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:23 am

Credit to Biltong as well. All things considered, that first yellow was crap. He's doing well not to post long posts full of expletives.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:16 am

blackcanelion wrote:Credit to Biltong as well. All things considered, that first yellow was crap. He's doing well not to post long posts full of expletives.
Yep...thumbsup

Not nice having to benefit from such a call...truckloads worse on the receiving end and and lord knows what kiwis would be doing at the moment on these boards...

Lets hope the rematch doesnt have any of that.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:50 am

Have to agree.  It is almost always the right thing to take the high road.  But it must have been very hard.  This was shaping up as a terrific match, and this almost destroyed the match.  The Boks were heroic during the match and classy afterwards.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down