The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old V New

+4
Steffan
OasisBFC
Kev
jack-rabbitpunch
8 posters

Go down

Old V New Empty Old V New

Post by jack-rabbitpunch Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:20 pm

Are the greats (you know the usual suspects who apparently no one will ever be able to overtake in the mythical ATG lists) simply in that list because they did it first?

Its apparent that some think Mayweather will never get the credit he deserves because he was born too late!

We all look back at our childhood fondly, so do we look back at fighters too fondly too?

jack-rabbitpunch

Back to top Go down

Old V New Empty Re: Old V New

Post by Kev Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:26 pm

I don't mind a bit of nostalgia but placing guys in your top 10 when there is no footage of them or almost anyone they fought seems a bit strange to me. Mayweather is a definite top 5 ATG imo. I would have Pernell Whitaker in my top 10 as well.

Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:26 pm

it's definitely true. rose tinted glasses and all that.

it happens even as recently as the 'great heavyweights of the 80's'.
in my opinion Vitali would be a match for any of them.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

I would go a step further both Klitschkos would have far to much for most top heavyweights of any era. Ali, Louis, Lewis and an on fire Bowe aside I think both would beat the rest.

Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

Listen...

People come to me all the time and they say 'Steffan...you know all about boxing. That boy Mayweather...do you rate the guy. Can that boy be a legend?'

And I say 'You rate Ray Leonard?'

So they say 'Yeah I Ray. I rate Ray the best infact'

And I say to them 'Did you rate Ray Leonard when he were fighting?'

They say to me 'Rate him when when he were fighting? You crazy? I wasnt even born when Ray Leonard were fighting'

Thats when I tell em 'Exactly...maybe the people who are gonna decide how great Floyd was...aint around yet'

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by jack-rabbitpunch Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:40 pm

Steffan wrote:Listen...

Thats when I tell em 'Exactly...maybe the people who are gonna decide how great Floyd was...aint around yet'

Regards
Agreed

jack-rabbitpunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Sep 2013, 3:11 pm

Nostalgia's not what it used to be!

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 17 Sep 2013, 3:20 pm

Steffan wrote:Listen...

People come to me all the time and they say 'Steffan...you know all about boxing'
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king;)

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 17 Sep 2013, 3:33 pm

jack-rabbitpunch wrote:

We all look back at our childhood fondly, so do we look back at fighters too fondly too?

I don't look back on school fondly I hated the place. Used to stare out the window all day bored out of my skull.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 17 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm

Likability is a factor too.............Dempsey, Louis types are rated highly because they were blue collar favorites.......

Most of the top 10 list were well liked.............Even Leonard was a media darling and the golden boy even If not a blue collar favorite....

We look more fondly on things and people we like..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 17 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm

The thing is, skilled boxers who go life and death with their opponents and prevail are rated highly. Skilled boxers who win with ease are marked down a la RJJ and Floyd. The simple fact is they make good boxers look ordinary.

Plus we are very quick to find fault in modrn boxers because of the media and social network. Their opponents are scrutinised, excuses made etc etc etc, but oldies get a pas. If a chump like Galento can deck Wlad for example, Wlad's stock would plummet. Yet Louis gets a free pass. If Vito Antuafermo could get a draw against RJJ we would use that as a stick to beat RJJ down yet Hagler gets a pass because he was blue collar and fre of frivolities.

Most old timers (pre 1920s) were nothing more than bar room toughmen. Credit to them, they were efn tough guys who fought for dinner money. Skilled in comparison to today? Not a chance. Gans, BJ Walcott etc wouldn't win a second of a round against Paulie M let alone Floyd. They simply wouldn't touch him and would be peppered with jabs all night long.

Robbo gets props for holding the MW belt 5 times yet the fact he lost if 4 times is ignored. If that happened to a modern fighter, he would be marked down. Look at how many use Duran as a stick to beat Leonard with yet ignore the schooling SRL gave him in the rematch. People big up Basillio who is reality is a tougher version of Dave Green. If Leonard struggled with Green, all and sundry would use that to beat him with.

Some reality is needed.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum