The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day trip to West Lothian

+2
George1507
raycastleunited
6 posters

Go down

Day trip to West Lothian Empty Day trip to West Lothian

Post by raycastleunited Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:47 am

I'm going to be in West Lothian for a day on business in a couple of weeks time, and I'm thinking of flying up the day before and squeezing in a cheeky round late afternoon. Any recommendations for courses in the area? It's got to be fairly decent to justify me lugging my golf clubs to Heathrow.

I did this a couple of years ago when I had a meeting at Grangemouth. Stayed at Dalmahoy and played the course there. This will probably be the default option for me again as it is close to the airport and the course was a good test. Ideally I would like to get on a links course, just looks like I'm on the wrong side of Edinburgh.

Cheers guys.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Day trip to West Lothian Empty Re: Day trip to West Lothian

Post by George1507 Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:42 am

It is the wrong side for links courses.

Broxburn, Pumpherston and Bathgate are the only ones I've played in the area. They're ok, but not bucket list courses. If you are planning on staying in the area, then Dalmahoy is the best bet because they'll probably do some green fee discount for hotel guests.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:53 pm

By few accounts I've heard recently the condition of Dalmahoy is pretty poor. Even had yourgolftravel.com phone a friend of mine to advise the condition was poor and offered alternatives.

Heard better things about Turnhouse and Gogarburn Golf Clubs, which are both right next to the airport. Mac and Super will have probably played them and be able to offer their views.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:23 pm

Thanks Lairdy. I just looked on the top100 website and recent reviews back up your comments.

Really surprising for a premium venue to be left to deteriorate. The Solheim Cup may be 20 years ago but its only a couple of years since the course was hosting the Scottish Senior Open.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm

ray,
Send your clubs FedEx or UPS (perhaps other companies offer similar service?) to your hotel . . . . . . they offer excellent service and not too expensive, especially if you would have to pay a luggage fee for your sticks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:52 pm

I think Mac must be clinically dead if he hasn't popped up to answer this question.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 19 Sep 2013, 11:09 am

In a couple of weeks you're probably looking at light going about half 7 in the evening so you won't want to be teeing off much after 3.00 3.30. If it were me I'd rocket round the bypass and onto the A198. What would that be? About half hour/40 mins from airport??...to take you to one of, if not thee best stretch of Links golf in the world!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down