The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Welsh Derby Of The Season!

+20
Tramptastic
The Saint
VinceWLB
wales606
LordDowlais
Cyril
Casartelli
Steffan
Glas a du
flyhalffactory
maestegmafia
thebandwagonsociety
youngguns6
munkian
dragon999
bedfordwelsh
Stone Motif
Taffineastbourne
tatterd
ScarletSpiderman
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

First Welsh Derby Of The Season! Empty First Welsh Derby Of The Season!

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

It is here already (Well friday).

Dragons V Scarlets
Dave Parade
19:15 KO (originally 19:05)

Ref -: Nigel Owens
Assistants:Ian Davies & Jon Mason

Newport Gwent Dragons Squad

15. Dan Evans,
14. Tom Prydie,
13. Ross Wardle,
12. Jack Dixon,
11. Hallam Amos,
10. Jason Tovey,
9. Richie Rees;

1. Phil Price,
2. T.Rhys Thomas,
3. Francisco Chaparro,
4. Andrew Coombs (c),
5. Matthew Screech,
6. Jevon Groves,
7. Lewis Evans,
8. Toby Faletau.

Replacements: 16. Hugh Gustafson, 17. Owen Evans, 18. Dan Way, 19. Rob Sidoli, 20. Netani Talei, 21. Jonathan Evans, 22. Kris Burton, 23. Adam Hughes.

Scarlets Squad

15 Steve Shingler;
14 Liam Williams;
13 Jon Davies;
12 Scott Williams;
11 Jordan Williams;
10 Rhys Priestland;
9 Gareth Davies;

1 Phil John;
2 Ken Owens;
3 Samson Lee;
4 Jake Ball;
5 George Earle;
6 Aaron Shingler;
7 John Barclay;
8 Rob McCusker (capt).

Replacements: 16 Emyr Phillips, 17 Rob Evans, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Richard Kelly, 20 Josh Turnbull, 21 Aled Davies, 22 Nic Reynolds, 23 Gareth Owen.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

First Welsh Derby Of The Season! Empty Re: First Welsh Derby Of The Season!

Post by tatterd Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm

why the delayed kick off SS?

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:53 pm

tatterd wrote:why the delayed kick off SS?
Scarlets are scared and trying to delay the hammering for a bit Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:13 pm

Edinburgh supporters thought that their lads did well to get the better of the Dragons pack so they appear to rate our lads more than I do!Let's hope they are right.Got a feeling that we may struggle at scrum time.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:41 pm

Not sure why the delay, at a guess it must mean that there is gonna be a big crowd, as that tends to lead to delayed k.o. times.

Taffineastbourne - I have a feeling that the scrum is going to have a major impact on the game, and with Nige in charge I have a feeling that if there are crooked feeds etc we will most likely see cards for it as he can be a bit 'keen' when it comes to things like that.

Either way it should be a good game, as reading the pre-season reviews of teams the Dragons should be on the up and the Scarlets should be on the way down, meaning the press have us at around the same level.

Also, there are 6 or 7 ex-scarlets (age grade etc) in the Dragons squad, so that will add some extra spice to things. Dan Evs really upped his game for the Judgement day clash, showing us what we let go.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:58 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Scarlets Squad -:

16. Nigel Owens
First name on the team sheet
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:08 pm

I said before first 2 games that our old Achilles heel of the scrum will be our undoing again this season, well Scarlets seem to have adapted well to the changes so this could be a good challenge for us.

Really not sure how to call this, that said I would have been happy with a losing BP against Ulster so will go with that again and hope to be proved wrong Very Happy Very Happy 
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:21 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Scarlets Squad -:

16. Nigel Owens
First name on the team sheet
clap 

I wondered how long it would take for that. I think the 3 red cards vrs the Ospreys last season (as well as a huge thumping) should disprove that. Anyhow I think everyone would rather see him there that Claudio Whateverhisnamewas, the one armed Italian that is unwelcome in Galway, or James Jones etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed 18 Sep 2013, 3:28 pm

I would prefer Nigel to ref than the usual Rabo dross

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

I don't buy into the Nigel is pro Turk thoughts, but I do think he can have perceptions of who is the stronger scrum and then ping the other. The one time I have seen it (that I can immediately think of), is when he gave two penalty tries against us down at the Liberty and the one was very farcical.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:09 pm

Nigel is more of an Osprey than a Turk isn't he? I've got no problems wit him reffing this. In fact, if I was choosing he'd be my first choice. Top ref.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

I don't know if he's pro Turk but he seems to be anti Dragon - as are most Welsh pundits
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm

Scarlets team
15 Steve Shingler; 14 Liam Williams; 13 Jon Davies; 12 Scott Williams; 11 Jordan Williams; 10 Rhys Priestland; 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Phil John; 2 Ken Owens; 3 Samson Lee; 4 Jake Ball; 5 George Earle; 6 Aaron Shingler; 7 John Barclay; 8 Rob McCusker (capt).

Replacements: 16 Emyr Phillips, 17 Rob Evans, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Richard Kelly, 20 Josh Turnbull, 21 Aled Davies, 22 Nic Reynolds, 23 Gareth Owen.

Players not available for selection: Kristian Phillips, wing (fractured hand), Gareth Maule (knee), Rhodri Williams, scrum-half (shoulder sprain).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:46 pm

Dan Evans, Tom Prydie, Ross Wardle, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos, Jason Tovey, Richie Rees; Phil Price, T.Rhys Thomas, Francisco Chaparro, Andrew Coombs (c), Matthew Screech, Jevon Groves, Lewis Evans, Toby Faletau.

Replacements: Hugh Gustafson, Owen Evans, Dan Way, Rob Sidoli, Netani Talei, Jonathan Evans, Kris Burton, Adam Hughes.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 19 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm

I find it pretty sad that we have Rob Sidoli on our bench.A wholehearted player who has been a great servant to Welsh Rugby and when selected for Wales he fully deserved his call up.That was a long time ago.We have no youngster to fill the spot and Nimmo seems to be held in lower esteem than the ageing Rob.
I have genuine concern for Rob's welfare as it is a young man's sport with the collisions that occur.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Sep 2013, 2:12 pm

How old is Sid now? I think it is only him, Ryan Jones and Geth, from the '05 GS team, that are still playing in the regions, and both the others were young back then.

That said looking at your pack, and bench, it looks like he is there more to try and add some ballast to your scrum. Is Cudd out injured or is the back row selected for the same reason?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 2:31 pm

Cudd was forced off v Embra with a shoulder injury (after ten mins) and hasn't quite recovered apparently.

The front row is my favoured one, I would much rather Talei start than Groves (who I am still not convinced by) and I am pleased to see Adam Hughes in a matchday squad for the first time this season (competitive game).

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 19 Sep 2013, 2:36 pm

Not sure how old Sid is.He was small for second row in his pomp and there are bigger backs out there now!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 19 Sep 2013, 2:39 pm

Prediction,Scarlets by 7.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 3:56 pm

Happy with the front row and great news Coombs is fit.
Groves showed promise but he's never really kicked on. Doesn't seem to ever stand out whatever position he has played but I guess having Talei on the bench is a good impact option rather than the other way around. Toby is quality (goes without saying) but Lewis E isn't a 7. Best option available I guess.

Hang backs are quality. Centres need a big game to contain the international pair but they should be up for it.
Prydie is hit or miss... Amos and Evans are quite classy.

Happy with this team.

Dragons by 4

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 4:48 pm

Sidoli has only recently (June) turned 34. Not that ancient!

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 19 Sep 2013, 6:08 pm

Am I the only person who reads this thread title to the Harry Hill 'TV Highlight of the Week' tune?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 19 Sep 2013, 6:34 pm

Why did Sampson Lee go off last weekend? Just as they were walking back on the pitch for the second half he went down on one knee, the medics arrived and he was replaced by Manu...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 6:34 pm

Nimmo has gone to Harlequins on loan allegedly - Dragons looking to secure young english lock - Sid is still good for 60ish mins & suspect he'll get the last 30mins tomorrow & replace young Screech

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 6:37 pm

youngguns6 wrote:Happy with the front row and great news Coombs is fit.
Groves showed promise but he's never really kicked on. Doesn't seem to ever stand out whatever position he has played but I guess having Talei on the bench is a good impact option rather than the other way around. Toby is quality (goes without saying) but Lewis E isn't a 7. Best option available I guess.

Hang backs are quality. Centres need a big game to contain the international pair but they should be up for it.
Prydie is hit or miss... Amos and Evans are quite classy.

Happy with this team.

Dragons by 4
So isn't Groves at 7,Lewis at 6 until Talei comes on at 6 & Lewis reverts to 7?

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Why did Sampson Lee go off last weekend? Just as they were walking back on the pitch for the second half he went down on one knee, the medics arrived and he was replaced by Manu...!
I was wondering the same. Looked worrying, like he was clutching his chest. Thought it might have been his heart or something. Very odd.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:16 pm

He was ill, stomach bug i think, earlier in the week, and the only official line I have heard is breathing uses which worried him.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:17 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Am I the only person who reads this thread title to the Harry Hill 'TV Highlight of the Week' tune?
Damn you I just read that comment, and NOW it does.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:22 pm

Looks like John is finally going to wear the red top of the West Walians..... got to get this on the box
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:26 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:He was ill, stomach bug i think, earlier in the week, and the only official line I have heard is breathing uses which worried him.
Hope he makes a swift recovery. Always worrying seeing a young fit lad go down on a knee...

He is looking a seriously impressive scrummager this season too... We might just have a new Adam Jones here.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:34 pm

TEAMS
Dragons: Dan Evans, Tom Prydie, Ross Wardle, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos, Jason Tovey, Richie Rees; Phil Price, T.Rhys Thomas, Francisco Chaparro, Andrew Coombs (c), Matthew Screech, Jevon Groves, Lewis Evans, Toby Faletau.

Replacements: Hugh Gustafson, Owen Evans, Dan Way, Rob Sidoli, Netani Talei, Jonathan Evans, Kris Burton, Adam Hughes.

Scarlets: Steve Shingler; Liam Williams, Jon Davies, Scott Williams, Jordan Williams; Rhys Priestland, Gareth Davies; Phil John, Ken Owens, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, George Earle, Aaron Shingler, John Barclay, Rob McCusker (capt).

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU)

Assistant referees: Ian Davies, Jon Mason (both WRU)

Citing commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)

TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:36 pm

Maes, he is starting tomorrow so I guess it wa more precaution than injury that made him leave the pitch. Fingers crossed anyhow.

Fly, Barclay will be watched closely by every Scarlets fan, not sure what he is doing in our backrow, he isn't an openside Laugh
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:46 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maes, he is starting tomorrow so I guess it wa more precaution than injury that made him leave the pitch.  Fingers crossed anyhow.

Fly, Barclay will be watched closely by every Scarlets fan, not sure what he is doing in our backrow, he isn't  an openside Laugh
Its going to be like a Dallas "it was all a dream" sequence....... John will wake up and realise he is still playing for Glasgow! Very Happy 

Seriously though that's a good looking 1st 15, I am disappointed that Shingler has been moved to FB though I thought he has looked very good at centre however Williams is not a bad replacement. I also think that Liam Williams is wasted on the wing and should be selected at FB to push 1/2p for that place in the Welsh squad.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 8:04 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maes, he is starting tomorrow so I guess it wa more precaution than injury that made him leave the pitch.  Fingers crossed anyhow.

Fly, Barclay will be watched closely by every Scarlets fan, not sure what he is doing in our backrow, he isn't  an openside Laugh
I was looking forward to every scrum last week. He is an immense presence for Scarlets. Needs to work on the rest of his game a lot but it is the same for most young props.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 20 Sep 2013, 8:24 am

Fly - it's a juggling act with out backs to be honest. We have accepted we need to sacrifice a shirt to squeeze in a goal kicker, which left us with two realistic options. We could have gone for what we did, everyone playing in more or less the right places (Sanjay has played internationals on the wing), or moving Sanjay to fullback, and Scott Williams to wing. Neither would be ideal but needs must, and we definately need a goal kicker on.

I feel a bit sorry for Barclay as he must be feiling the weight of expectancy on his shoulders as many fans think his signing was essencial to fixing our breakdown problems, and I think he will get an over-raction from fans, both good and bad, for every single thing he does. Fro being a god to being a lepper.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 20 Sep 2013, 8:27 am

maestegmafia wrote:I was looking forward to every scrum last week. He is an immense presence for Scarlets. Needs to work on the rest of his game a lot but it is the same for most young props.
He has the edge on most young props at the moment IMO, he has an awkward body shape to deal with, and has a real bit of dog in him. I don't think it will be too long before we see him internationally, probably during the AIs if he keeps on like this, and then we may see a step up in his work in the loose. Although, even if we don't having a destructive tighthead is something that is needed in the modern game, even if they do sod all else through out the rest of the match.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 8:50 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I was looking forward to every scrum last week. He is an immense presence for Scarlets. Needs to work on the rest of his game a lot but it is the same for most young props.
He has the edge on most young props at the moment IMO, he has an awkward body shape to deal with, and has a real bit of dog in him.  I don't think it will be too long before we see him internationally, probably during the AIs if he keeps on like this, and then we may see a step up in his work in the loose.  Although, even if we don't having a destructive tighthead is something that is needed in the modern game, even if they do sod all else through out the rest of the match.
Agreed, it is important for Scarlets and Wales to carefully nurture his talent and coach him into being the best around.

I wonder if he can get good enough to oust Adam Jones from the Welsh three shirt in the next two years..? At the rate he is progressing it is not unfathomable.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:49 am

Just a little news on the Next Derby match from Ospreys.com...!

NEXT MONTH’S RABODIRECT PRO12 WELSH DERBY AGAINST NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS WILL NOW BE PLAYED ON FRIDAY 25TH OCTOBER, KICKING OFF AT 7.05PM.

The fixture had originally been scheduled for the Sunday afternoon but a clash with Swansea City’s Premiership game with West Ham due to their Europa League involvement meant that it had to be switched.

Ospreys Rugby would like to thank Swansea Stadium Management Company and the Swans for their co-operation in rearranging this fixture.

Tickets for the game will be available to buy at the Liberty Stadium Ticket Office, online at www.ospreysrugby.com/buytickets and via the Ticket Hotline on 0844 815 6665 next week.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/30836

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 20 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Just a little news on the Next Derby match from Ospreys.com...!

NEXT MONTH’S RABODIRECT PRO12 WELSH DERBY AGAINST NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS WILL NOW BE PLAYED ON FRIDAY 25TH OCTOBER, KICKING OFF AT 7.05PM.

The fixture had originally been scheduled for the Sunday afternoon but a clash with Swansea City’s Premiership game with West Ham due to their Europa League involvement meant that it had to be switched.

Ospreys Rugby would like to thank Swansea Stadium Management Company and the Swans for their co-operation in rearranging this fixture.

Tickets for the game will be available to buy at the Liberty Stadium Ticket Office, online at www.ospreysrugby.com/buytickets and via the Ticket Hotline on 0844 815 6665 next week.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/30836
The Ospreys want to thank the Swans for forcing them to change their arrangements to suit the Swans. Classic
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:23 pm

Griff wrote:Sidoli has only recently (June) turned 34. Not that ancient!
I find this incredible.I thought he was about three years older!
Mind you,Wikipedia has Sid at 6ft 6" which I also struggle to find credible and his weight at close to 19 stones appears bizarre.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 20 Sep 2013, 3:43 pm

Scarlets pick three outside halfs. 3!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm

To be honest Shingler and Williams haven't played much at flyhalf recently.

Scott Williams has also played a bit at flyhalf too.

Not long to kick off now...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 20 Sep 2013, 6:56 pm

Llanelli will win this one by about 10 points I think

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm

Rodney parade is looking impressive with all the new building work

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:06 pm

Yeah Newport have got it right with the Rodney Parade in developing the stadium but keeping the old terracing system in unlike Llanelli and the Ospreys who play in Ikea stadiums way too big for them

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:09 pm

Steffan wrote:Yeah Newport have got it right with the Rodney Parade in developing the stadium but keeping the old terracing system in unlike Llanelli and the Ospreys who play in Ikea stadiums way too big for them
The Liberty is a better option than St Helen's.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:11 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Steffan wrote:Yeah Newport have got it right with the Rodney Parade in developing the stadium but keeping the old terracing system in unlike Llanelli and the Ospreys who play in Ikea stadiums way too big for them
But nowhere near as good as the Gnoll or the Brew.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:13 pm

Casartelli wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
But nowhere near as good as the Gnoll or the Brew.
The Gnoll is a great stadium, one of my favourites.

I would love to see us play there.

Which region do you support Casartelli?

I can't remember who you pin your colours to?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm

Dragons are a very young team. I think Tovey is one of the only lads in the backline who shave...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 7:17 pm

Good aggressive starts by both teams

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next