The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ben Ryan to take over Fiji Sevens team

5 posters

Go down

Ben Ryan to take over Fiji Sevens team Empty Ben Ryan to take over Fiji Sevens team

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:20 pm

Ben Ryan to take over the reins as Fiji Sevens coach until the Olympics

I'd love to know a bit about the back story here. Ryan took over from Mike Friday, and it's an open secret that those two aren't on good terms. Friday went on to coach Kenya to some success before resigning at the end of this season.

There was some talk that England might re-appoint Friday but the RFU went instead for Simon Amor, a former sevens star who had been coaching at London Scottish. It's likely someone other teams will offer Friday a job

Good luck to all three men but it will be slightly strange for England to go into a sevens series potentially facing two teams managed by former coaches. In the best case, Amor is the right man for us now, but you hope we haven't let good coaching talent slip through our fingers.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Ben Ryan to take over Fiji Sevens team Empty Re: Ben Ryan to take over Fiji Sevens team

Post by propdavid_london Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:46 pm

I'm surprised that Ben Gollings hasn't gone into coaching 7's.
I hadn't realised that Friday had resigned with Kenya.........I guess there is a team GB coach role that needs to be filled ASAP.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Ben Ryan to take over Fiji Sevens team Empty Re: Ben Ryan to take over Fiji Sevens team

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 12 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm

Uncertain future for Ryan and Fijian rugby:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/irb-suspends-funding-for-fiji-20140112-30oa1.html

The International Rugby Board announced on Saturday that it had suspended all direct financial support to the Fiji Rugby Union (FRU) with immediate effect because of concerns over the administration and governance of the Union.

The suspension will hold "until the Union adopts key financial reporting, administration and governance reforms", the IRB said in a statement.

"The recommendations arose from an IRB Major Union Review which was conducted after the Union requested emergency financial assistance in May last year."

The IRB said it had committed "STG1.1 million ($2.05 million) in direct funding to the FRU in 2013 and significant additional financial assistance to participate in international tournaments in 2013".
Advertisement

The cash-strapped FRU is struggling to pay the salary of high-profile Sevens coach Ben Ryan, forcing him to work voluntarily for three months.

The Englishman's appointment was announced with much fanfare in September, when he was charged with improving the skilful but inconsistent islanders ahead of Sevens' Olympic debut in 2016.

However, Ryan said "not a penny" of his salary had been paid and he was living off his savings, including covering the cost of flights home to see his family over Christmas.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 13 Jan 2014, 10:25 am

Shame, he appeared to be doing a good job. And Fiji desperately need some good news.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 13 Jan 2014, 5:34 pm

Coaching the Fiji Sevens team should be one of the prime positions in World Rugby, Sadly for Fiji and World Rugby it isnt.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 13 Jan 2014, 5:40 pm

I am very surprised at this to be honest. He was doing a good job with the England sevens team as well. Still i wish him all the best, i think he is going to need it if it is true about their funding being cut.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down