The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
golfermartin
Y I Man
barragan
puligny
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
hend085
Shotrock
Plunky
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
goldwolf
MontysMerkin
westisbest
pedro
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
BlueCoverman
mystiroakey
MustPuttBetter
JAS
34 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:41 pm

super_realist wrote:Well done Jas, I've done it a few times and have applied too. Not heard back yet though.
I did it in 2008 Super and was disappointed not to break 4 hours (I ran Glasgow 3 times in the mid 80s with a PB of 2.52) Huge difference in running marathons from early to mid 20's and late 40's/early 50's though. I said in 2008 that I had one more left and it WOULD be sub 4 hours!! I've applied 3 times without success since but I'm in this time.

BlueCoverman wrote:Nice one JAS...trust all that training won't interfere with the golf schedule too much!
In reality and coupled with the Captaincy it probably will knock my game backwards a bit. C'est la vie :-/. Ideally the day I'd want to be doing my last long training run is the day of the Captains drive in.

kwinigolfer wrote:Didn't Kirkygolfer run in it - think some of us helped him raise money?
I'm sure somebody from the boards did Kwini, cant remember the name though.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:48 pm

Yes Mysti that's correct and no I haven't confused anything.

Ok in simple terms - if Goldy's current rate is, I dunno 6% and maybe the max can afford is 7%.
Rather than fixing now at 4%, why not go on the standard rate, say 2.5% or possibly even better with decent equity and bank the savings. Keep an eye on the rates, once they start to rise - which may be years or months - and the rates on offer (on offer, not the B of E rate) near 6%, 7% or whatever gets touchy then fix.

There are plenty or no fee mortgages.

Surely not that hard to understand?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:52 pm

Why do you think he will be offered 2.5 if he is being offered 4 at a two year fixed..

it will be about .3 under his varible rate( i know this because i have been mortgage hunting recently)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:55 pm

typical deals for me are 3.5(var) , 3.8(2 year fixed) and 4.1(5 year fixed)

lower rates are normally offset by higher mortgage fees- giving you much less saving than you think you are getting.

The base rate can't get lower than it is at the moment. so the only thing that can happen is that rates can go up!

basically if you are going to ever go fixed - this is the time to do so!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:58 pm

mystiroakey wrote:If I have kids and don't have anything to leave them I will have failed, and there is no way they wont have every penny i leave!
That's the way that most ambitious and hard working people think. But the IHT rules do dampen the entrepreneurial spirit a bit, I personally feel less inclined to continue to expand my business now.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:58 pm

I've been mortgage hunting too and rates vary greatly. And there are loads of no fee mortgages.
I'm not arguing with you. I say go variable. Ben says variable. You say fix. Goldy can make his own decision.
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:01 pm

It depends what he is being offered MPB.

If you think he can get 2.5 variable elsewhere- then he should also be able to get 3%2 year fixed elsewhere.

and if he does decide to go fixed after taking a variable deal out today - he could be in the position to have to pay two morgage fees to do that.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:01 pm

Ok Mysti
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:12 pm

Well many people may want to go variable after having a fixed that went belly up over the last 6 years or so. many of my friends that bought within that time fixed for 2-10 years and clearly took the wrong gamble.. But going variable this time just because you got burnt isn't necessarily going to pay of this time. Its human nature to go the other way this time- However its also natural that the gamble doesn't pay off the next stint by switching up.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:15 pm

Think the main point is what is his revert to rate on his mortgage? Unless anyone knows that you cannot really say. Then you take into account fees involved in fixing and someone's views on risk. The safest option is always the long term fix. When I brought a couple years back I went 3 year fix. Its a personal favourite. 5 years seemed long and 2 not enough. And woolwich have a base rate tracker revert to rate and offer good deals to existing clients. Not all do.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:17 pm

If you stay on revert rate and have a decent lender you can ring up at anytime and change. Just need to watch the rates and listen to boe once a month.

This is taking me back..

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:25 pm

You are right Ben its deffo about the individuals offers and situation.

If his revert rate is anything,more than 3.5 then I would say take the 4%(clearly same lender and probably free)

if the revert rate is lower then maybe the gamble is on the cards and just stick with the tracked rate.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:08 am

I missed this at my local cinema when it was out a few months back, but ust wondering if anyone has seen it yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2636522/

Super, I know you are a fan so hope at least you can give me a brief review.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:27 am

Mac, I haven't seen it but imagine it's probably somewhere online, perhaps even in sections on Youtube.

Not sure I'd go to the cinema to see something like that but would certainly like to see it.
ALways interesting to see which "celebrities" prefer logic to fairy tales.

Incidently, have you seen Dawkins take the urine out of that idiot lead singer and peddler of appalling lyrics from The Killers?
Hilarious.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:42 am

Richard Dawkins is a class one Muppet isn't he?? I'm no expert on him, but that's how he seems to come across. A complete knob. Brandon flowers doesn't come across as a Muppet and the killers are ace! Well early stuff is.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:54 am

It isn't anywhere online SR. It has only been shown at film festivals and a couple of cinemas around the world..

Copies will probably be available in december. I take it this film just rips theist celebs up! But sadly any film/doc that has to much woody allen is going to make me ill.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:09 am

beninho wrote:Richard Dawkins is a class one Muppet isn't he?? I'm no expert on him, but that's how he seems to come across. A complete knob. Brandon flowers doesn't come across as a Muppet and the killers are ace! Well early stuff is.
Brandon Flowers is a mormon, that says enough about his stupidity and credulity. It takes normal religion and makes it 100x more idiotic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:12 am

I really like Dawkins writings but can understand that some people may dislike him if they fail to see the magnitude and importance of what he is trying to achieve.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:15 am

Always preferred Hitchens, Harris and Krauss to Dawkins in terms of writing/presenting style, but can't deny the logic in what he says and the way in which he humiliates the religious.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:17 am

I find Hitchens way to right wing in most of his views. Don't mind when he tackles religion but his opinions on the War in Iraq and women are best kept to himself.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:24 am

This place can be like groundhog day can't it!

I swear you two have had that discussion 10000 times before.

BTW Dawkins is a clever lad- he only wants to make money.. There will allways be religious loons, and maybe religions are actually needed within the type of western civilization we live in, to keep the poor masses in check!

If he wants to actually do something to affect the world. I would humiliate the 'religion of peace' within those societies!.. That I would respect.

Dawkins is just an internet warrior against religion like you two but with the intelligence to make money out of it!! Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:44 am

Aren't people that have strong outspoken views on against religion no different that have strong outspoken views on religion? Just using whatever they believe in to make a point. Fine for people making stressing their views but it makes people seem daft when they argue who is right or wrong.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:49 am

Not at all Ben, because they aren't asserting something as true, they are dismissing theists preposterous and hilarious claims on the basis of lack of logic and evidence.
I'd be exactly the same if people having a baseless belief in the Loch Ness monster or Leprechauns was causing misery and suffering across the world

Let's not get into this again though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:49 am

Imagine wasting your life mocking kids that believe in Santa?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:55 am

Kids have an excuse though Oakey, adults don't have an excuse or a reason to believe what they do if it isn't backed up with proof or evidence.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:00 am

Is Santa not real?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:24 pm

super,
As far as I know the government has some kind of list where all "recognised/approved" religions are listed. I also think Leprechaunismity isn't on it. So although I get your point, you are fighting the culture of having religions, not only having a religion.
Religion is institutionalised and government sanctioned. It doesn't excuse it, but as all can't be as enlightened as us, it to a degree kinda explains why so many still buy into it? N'est pas?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:31 pm

pedro wrote:super,
As far as I know the government has some kind of list where all "recognised/approved" religions are listed. I also think Leprechaunismity isn't on it. So although I get your point, you are fighting the culture of having religions, not only having a religion.
Religion is institutionalised and government sanctioned. It doesn't excuse it, but as all can't be as enlightened as us, it to a degree kinda explains why so many still buy into it? N'est pas?
Nice choice of word, perfectly sums up how I think such people who subscribe should end up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:37 pm

cool 3D view of the shuttle cockpit.

http://360vr.com/2011/06/22-discovery-flight-deck-opf_6236/index.html
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:40 pm

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:super,
Nice choice of word, perfectly sums up how I think such people who subscribe should end up.

Thank god your not in charge of us all then.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

Why not? You haven't got a reason to hold those beliefs so although it doesn't make you mental to follow a crowd, it does make you gullible and suggestible. Not traits I see as positive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:46 pm

Uncle Adolf and Uncle Josef did not live in vain then. Hail.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:47 pm

I got married in a church!! Lock me up and throw away the key....

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm

I can believe what I want to.

I dont really believe in God.
Some of my family do and some friends do.

Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway no point getting to this, I'd hate for you to be banned...............again

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm

Intolerance is an ugly trait.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:54 pm

pedro wrote:Uncle Adolf and Uncle Josef did not live in vain then. Hail.
What's that got to do with anything?

Of course West, you can believe the moon is made of cheese if you like, but if you assert it is true or that you know it to be true, then you don't deserve any respect for your beliefs?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:58 pm

Super,
Persecution of people with different beleifs, be it religion or politics.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:00 pm

Is that forum that the other guys went to still going on? Just seeing drive4shows name in this thread made me think?

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:04 pm

pedro wrote:Super,
Persecution of people with different beleifs, be it religion or politics.
Big difference between persecution and ridicule.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:06 pm

Nothing wrong in being spiritual and having faith/belief in something, each to their own and live and let live.

Where religion crosses the line is that live and let live is not good enough for the more extreme elements that attach themselves to each religion. Organised religion of various flavours crosses the line in so many ways e.g. intolerance, hate, extortion.

The world would be a much better place if the attempted imposition of religious dogma was made illegal.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:07 pm

goldwolf wrote:Is that forum that the other guys went to still going on? Just seeing drive4shows name in this thread made me think?
I think it turned out to be more of a UKIP think tank than a golf forum.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:08 pm

JAS wrote:Nothing wrong in being spiritual and having faith/belief in something, each to their own and live and let live.

Where religion crosses the line is that live and let live is not good enough for the more extreme elements that attach themselves to each religion. Organised religion of various flavours crosses the line in so many ways e.g. intolerance, hate, extortion.

The world would be a much better place if the attempted imposition of religious dogma was made illegal.
Spot on, I don't think any of them are a force for good, even though some associated with them have done good things.
The world would be a far better place with no religion at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:09 pm

super_realist wrote:Kids have an excuse though Oakey, adults don't have an excuse or a reason to believe what they do if it isn't backed up with proof or evidence.
I didnt understand the santa concept as a child. And never believed in it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:10 pm

goldwolf wrote:Is that forum that the other guys went to still going on? Just seeing drive4shows name in this thread made me think?
I haven't tried it for ages Goldie, I had to change my password each time I logged in to it and got tired doing it. I would guess Davie would know better if it's still going.

D4S, if he posts anywhere these days will probably be found on the golf-monthly forum.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

Yep still going, haven't seen d4s lately though unfortunately

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:12 pm

Persecution ha ha ha! clap 
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:14 pm

McLaren wrote:I find Hitchens way to right wing in most of his views.  Don't mind when he tackles religion but his opinions on the War in Iraq and women are best kept to himself.
OMFG, I can't believe Super's let you get away with that. He means Christopher Hitchens, not that weasel Kumquat Poopie Frak proof-there's-no-god-otherwise-he'd-have-died-not-his-genius-brother bumhole Peter Hitchens.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:15 pm

Religion is not really the issue is it. As everyone knows all religions are generally peaceful. Its just the groups that attach them on to it which is the issue. This though has been ongoing for years though, When was the crusades?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:16 pm

Peter Hitchens is indeed an utter moron.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:18 pm

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:Uncle Adolf and Uncle Josef did not live in vain then. Hail.
What's that got to do with anything?

Of course West, you can believe the moon is made of cheese if you like, but if you assert it is true or that you know it to be true, then you don't deserve any respect for your beliefs?

Who said i was asking for respect.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next