The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You've gotta eat here

+9
ShahenshahG
sodhat
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
seanmichaels
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
Paul Mac 6CW
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

You've gotta eat here Empty You've gotta eat here

Post by Paul Mac 6CW Tue 01 Oct 2013, 2:46 pm

Not strictly on topic but I thought it would be interesting to find out where is the best place you've ever eaten. This is your chance to really sell to people how great it was and why they should eat there

Paul Mac 6CW
6CW Creative

Location : Born in Surrey, live near Sunderland and work in London

Back to top Go down

You've gotta eat here Empty Re: You've gotta eat here

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 25 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

Best place I have ever eaten was a place called Out of the Blue in Dingle, South-West Ireland.  On my honeymoon in 2004.

If you don't like seafood then its not for you, but if you're a seafood fan then it is truly magnificent.  

It is right on the harbour in Dingle, which is a beautiful place to visit anyway, and the menu changes day by day depending on what the fishermen have caught that morning.  It is straight from the water, 15 yards across the road and straight into the kitchen.  The produce couldn't be fresher and the standard of cooking is from the Gods.  It looks very ramshackle from the outside and the inside is not very refined either.  The tables are wobbly, the cutlery is mismatched and its a relatively tight squeeze in there but if all you're interested in is the food then you won't be disappointed.  Fresh and beautifully cooked.

I have been fortunate with work to eat in some amazing seafood restaurants in London, New York, Hong Kong and in various European countries and nothing compares to this place.  I've been back twice since my honeymoon and the quality just doesn't drop.  If you're ever in that corner of Ireland, and enjoy seafood, make it your mission to visit this place and enjoy it.

Spoiler:

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 25 Nov 2013, 4:39 pm

Me and TSMR tend to go to a really nice restaurant for our major anniversaries, went for our fifth, tenth and her 40th birthday. Of the ones I have been to have to say the restaurant we went to in New York for her 40th was unbelievable. The restaurant is called the River Café and sits under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side right on the waterside so you get a direct view of the famous Manhattan skyline as the restaurant has a glass frontage, if you are there at night and fortunate enough to get a window table as me and the wife were the view is absolutely stunning.

The food is pretty much faultless as well, I had lamb and it was pretty much the nicest thing I have ever eaten. They also do nice touches like booking you a town car rather than a cab when you leave so you get back to your hotel in the back of a Lincoln, all suited up you can’t help but feel like John Gotti or Donald Trump depending on your preference.

Appreciate recommending somewhere in New York is not especially practical but if you are ever there and want to treat the missus you can’t go wrong with going there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Nov 2013, 9:33 am

Went to an Argentian Steak House in Spain earlier this year on my birthday. A bit like an all you can eat buffet, but they come to your table with various types of meat and fish, sausages, black pudding and veg. You try a little bit of everything and then put in a request for whatever else you fancy when you've sample everything.

Not a fan of my beef/steak rare but this was absolutely delicious. The chicken was moist and tender....and the coffee afterwards was the best I've EVER tasted.

Went again the following week....just as good and, providing it's still there, I'm sure we'll be visiting it.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 26 Nov 2013, 9:35 am

I'll keep it a bit more simple I think. Went to Bath earlier on in the year and we decided to eat at this place http://www.kingwilliampub.com/

Tiny little pub and I think I paid £50 for 2 mains, a dessert and 3 or 4 drinks. Being a fairly keen cook I am often disappointed when I go out but this place was unbelievable. I had Pork Belly and everything from the pork to the potatoes was mouth wateringly good.

"So good it brings a tear to the eye well worth making the train journey from London, even just for lunch. Giles Coren, The Times"

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:39 am

Can't remember the name of the restaurant which probably defeats the purpose of posting on here but I had calamari in Spinola Bay that was so good I would sell my friends into slavery to try it again.  Was a really sh1t holiday but that meal more made up for it.  If you're ever there the restaurant is to the left on the other side of the slipway as you face the bay looking seaward from where the tourist buses pick you up.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:43 pm

Back in early 87 I met a girl called Sam who looked a bit like Sandra Bullock.......

She was satisfying...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:04 am

Fazenda in Leeds is pretty good, skewers of lovely meat (similar to DAVE's thing)

and you have a card that when you have green facing up, keep bringing the meat, and when red, stomach break

Also (and i dont say this a lot) the salad bar is really good too Smile

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:44 am

There are a chain of BBQ restaurants called Bodeans in London. I think there is one in Soho, as well as at Tower Hill and Fulham.

Basically, go there. Even if it is just to try their chicken wings, which are still the best wings I've ever had.

They do a whole range of horribly fatty but brilliant American style food, and a pleasingly large selection of beers too.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:19 pm

Golden plaice. Between hatfield on the way to luton at batford. Best chippie in the country.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Golden plaice. Between hatfield on the way to luton at batford. Best chippie in the country.

Behave Shah.

There isn't a chippie south of Stoke that is worth bothering with.

Best chippies in the country are in the North. Greatest one is in Whitby.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:32 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Golden plaice. Between hatfield on the way to luton at batford. Best chippie in the country.

Behave Shah.

There isn't a chippie south of Stoke that is worth bothering with.

Best chippies in the country are in the North.  Greatest one is in Whitby.

Even though I don't eat fish I can concur that chips and curry sauce are far better up north. Do they still do scraps?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:36 pm

Its barely 10 minutes out of your way tino - go and get some! Although I'll admit Whitby is pretty fine and fleetwood is comparable too

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:39 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Its barely 10 minutes out of your way tino - go and get some!

10 minutes? I live in North Herts. It's miles away. Too far to go and get stared at for daring to ask for gravy on my chips, that is for sure.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

Don't northerners carry their own emergency gravy in hip flasks?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote: Greatest one is in Whitby.

Would that me the Magpie Tina. Me and TSMR went the other week, it is bloody good.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:43 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Do they still do scraps?

Yep, pretty much everywhere.

Southern chippies are very polite places. Northern chippies are brutal. You have to walk in the door and shout 3 x cod (or haddock or whatever else you want) at the top of your voice, no matter what nutters are in there. If you don't you'll get to the counter and the staff won't serve you unless you've shouted your order. Very strict system.

Makes a man of you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:44 pm

sodhat wrote:Don't northerners carry their own emergency gravy in hip flasks?

No thats just runny mud in case it gets stolen

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:44 pm

Rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote: Greatest one is in Whitby.

Would that me the Magpie Tina. Me and TSMR went the other week, it is bloody good.

Yep, the Magpie. Awesome place.

Did you have to queue for ages or not?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:46 pm

No queue at all Tina. We went midweek so avoided it, it was still packed though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:48 pm

Nice work.

Love that place. Whitby is lovely all round.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:48 pm

Whitby Whaler?

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:49 pm

Scraps, chips, battered sausage and curry sauce. Beautiful.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:49 pm

Some good second hand book shops there. Got hold of a old biography of Barry Mcguigan I am almost certainly never going to read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:50 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Nice work.

Love that place.  Whitby is lovely all round.

Do you know of a hotel by the railway (some of the carriages are rooms I believe)?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Scraps, chips, battered sausage and curry sauce gravy. Beautiful.

Is what you meant to write.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Nice work.

Love that place.  Whitby is lovely all round.

Do you know of a hotel by the railway (some of the carriages are rooms I believe)?

Nope, never stayed there. Just visited.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:52 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Scraps, chips, battered sausage and curry sauce gravy. Beautiful.

Plus some tartare sauce

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:53 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

Plus some tartare sauce

Get out. Just leave.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:54 pm

Can tell there are not many real northerners on here with all this talk of curry sauce and tartare sauce. Get some mushy peas ordered.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:55 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Scraps, chips, battered sausage and curry sauce. Beautiful.

I'm not sure whether I prefer curry sauce or peas & gravy.

Sometimes I'll have curry sauce, and sometimes I'll have peas & gravy. Depends how my mood takes me at the time, really.

If I had to choose right now, I'd probably go for peas & gravy. Couldn't tell you for definite though.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:55 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

Plus some tartare sauce

Get out.  Just leave.

laughing got that response in a blackpool chippie. so we bummed the owner. He was more accomodating after that

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:56 pm

Rowley wrote:Can tell there are not many real northerners on here with all this talk of curry sauce and tartare sauce. Get some mushy peas ordered.

Bloody right.

Flipping girls, the lot of them. I am nearly getting cross now.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:57 pm

Rowley wrote:Can tell there are not many real northerners on here with all this talk of curry sauce and tartare sauce. Get some mushy peas ordered.

I used to get curry sauce up there but it was a different kind to down here. It had stuff like orange rind and sultanas in it.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

The garnish of choice down where I am seems to be burger sauce. As far as I can tell that is ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together in some sort of hellish double act.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

When I go to a take-away I like to get a grilled halloumi wrap.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

Galted wrote:When I go to a take-away I like to get a grilled halloumi wrap.

F*ck off.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

Galted wrote:When I go to a take-away I like to get a grilled halloumi wrap.

F*ck off.

Laugh

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

Best thing from a chippie is the salad

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:02 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Best thing from a chippie is the salad

I am going to punch you in the face if I ever meet you.

Even though I know you're lying about the salad.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:03 pm

I draw the line at picled eggs

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:06 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Best thing from a chippie is the salad

I am going to punch you in the face if I ever meet you.

Even though I know you're lying about the salad.

Laugh even the suggstion is blasphemous - We should run a competition lads- go to the nearest chippie and ask for a salad - record the responses - both for amusement sake and as evidence in the event of your imminent death

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:08 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I draw the line at picled eggs

So you can know where to cut it and limit your calories?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:09 pm

What's your (estimated) record for number of wooden forks 'stolen' from a chippy whilst drunk?

I reckon I got about 15 once. Pretty sure michaels will have easily bettered this effort.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:10 pm

If I asked for salad in the girl guides chip shops down here, I would get a lovely salad.

If I went home and asked for a salad, I would, quite figuratively be torn to pieces.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:12 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:What's your (estimated) record for number of wooden forks 'stolen' from a chippy whilst drunk?

I reckon I got about 15 once. Pretty sure michaels will have easily bettered this effort.

Cue a northern backlash about how forks are for pitching hay and how only southern fairies would use minute wooden ones for eating.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:14 pm

Get a grip Gia.

Forks are for pitching hay, only southern fairies would use minute wooden ones for eating.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:18 pm

Very Happy 

Uncanny (or as they'd say where Tino's from, "there be devilry and witchery and evilry afoot").

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:22 pm

Galted wrote:Very Happy 

Uncanny (or as they'd say where Tino's from, "there be devilry and witchery and evilry afoot").

Or they'd say where Galted is from, "you faacking whaaat. You faacking want gravy on your sherbet dips. Awright geeezzaa. Thee northerners are a ripe old breed I'll tell ya. Sorted mate".

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:24 pm

Laugh 

You left out "innit", "naughty", "mug" and "behave".

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next