The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

double standards

+8
Strongback
Rowley
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
azania
Steffan
wheelchair1991
12 posters

Go down

double standards Empty double standards

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 8:47 pm

how can sky promote the scott quigg fight at the weekend as a world title fight we all know it isn't. What really annoys me is when they discussed alphabet titles and the damage they do to boxing in the eyes of the public last year on ringside, they pointed out that the provetkin 'regular' champ title was an example of this. So why are they promoting this quigg fight as if its a genuine world title fight? I know he is there fighter but still double standards at its worst

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

double standards Empty Re: double standards

Post by Steffan Thu 03 Oct 2013, 9:08 pm

Eddie probably Hearn fed them some bull about this fight being for a world title and they believed it. Suprised it isnt PPV

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 03 Oct 2013, 9:10 pm

It sells.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 03 Oct 2013, 10:41 pm

Nothing more than the number eight ranked super bantam versus a lower ranked foreign import.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

The times we are living in guys.........

just do what I do.....look forward to the fights instead of thinking what they are worth.....

because nobody is fooling anybody.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 7:57 am

Was thinking same truss, Quigg will stop this geezer Imo.

Next up will be Audley Harrison vs Seth Mitchell for the WBA strap.

urine off.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 8:58 am

Is a charmingly naive world we all live in if we believe Sky are likely to sell the fight by saying "This Saturday you can see Scott Quigg fighting for a pretend world title, which is not a real world title because some geezer most of you have never heard of is the real world champion and is country miles in front of these two. Be sure to tune in"

Maybe you can petition them to change the strapline to Froch Groves as "Probably a year too Soon"

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:06 am

Rowley wrote:Is a charmingly naive world we all live in if we believe Sky are likely to sell the fight by saying "This Saturday you can see Scott Quigg fighting for a pretend world title, which is not a real world title because some geezer most of you have never heard of is the real world champion and is country miles in front of these two. Be sure to tune in"

Maybe you can petition them to change the strapline to Froch Groves as "Probably a year too Soon"
or....

"Floyd Mayweather v Amir Khan - Competitive? HAHAHAH...like **** it will be but hey, we've scraped the botton of the barrel so many times we're now starting to dig through the planet. However, in lieu of anything else, give us £15 for this one-sided stinker and shut up!"

I can see this warranting a thread of it's own

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:08 am

Its not the point Rowley, it goes back to a similar argument about conning the public out of their money whilst making a domestic fighter a "world" champ.

Every boxing fan know Rigondeux. Even the casual id imagine. That's purely based on Donaire though as he was a knockout artist coming off some great wins , people tuned in to see him, and he got boxed all over the ring by the Cuban.

Ut will just be frustrating when he wins the belt (which he will) and is then proclaimed the world champ at the weight, will defend against cherry picked fighters or no names, milk some money, go to the states, get leathered by an actual fighter, and then fizzle off into the distance.

But he can retire knowing he was THE world champion. What? No.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:10 am

Compared to some of the heinous acts the Murdock corporation has instigated this is less than harmless.

Carl Froch parading around with his pretend WBA strap was fairly pathetic though. Shiny baubles and all that.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:15 am

I would wager not many casual fans know of Donaire or Rigondeaux, I doubt they even know who Quigg is.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:20 am

As I have said countless times on other issues I do not blame Sky, whose job it is to shift advertising and subscriptions or Eddie whose job it is to shift tickets I blame the system that allows things like this to happen and that is the fault of the governing bodies, the very fact that they are in the plural is the root of the problem, but even then they cannot manage not to leave things alone and have to have super champions and the like.

Quigg and this fight on Saturday are just a product of their system in much the same way as two brothers dividing the heavyweight title are a product of the system. Get rid of three of the governing bodies and you have one champion, which would be Rigo at super bantam. This would be a fight between two contenders or at best an eliminator and would have to be billed as such. You have to ignore this stuff and decide if you want to watch the fight or not on its merits as a match up and nothing more. I personally like Quigg and rate him and am keen to see how he develops so will be tuning in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:22 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I would wager not many casual fans know of Donaire or Rigondeaux, I doubt they even know who Quigg is.
Absolutely. No chance at all that my 'casual' boxing follower friends know who Rigondeaux is. No chance at all.

What is a 'casual' anyway? When do you stop being a 'casual' and start becoming a 'hardcore' follower?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:22 am

Rowley wrote:As I have said countless times on other issues I do not blame Sky, whose job it is to shift advertising and subscriptions or Eddie whose job it is to shift tickets I blame the system that allows things like this to happen and that is the fault of the governing bodies, the very fact that they are in the plural is the root of the problem, but even then they cannot manage not to leave things alone and have to have super champions and the like.

Quigg and this fight on Saturday are just a product of their system in much the same way as two brothers dividing the heavyweight title are a product of the system. Get rid of three of the governing bodies and you have one champion, which would be Rigo at super bantam. This would be a fight between two contenders or at best an eliminator and would have to be billed as such. You have to ignore this stuff and decide if you want to watch the fight or not on its merits as a match up and nothing more. I personally like Quigg and rate him and am keen to see how he develops so will be tuning in.
Agreed, I'm watching the fighter and not paying attention to what the fight's billed as.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:24 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:I would wager not many casual fans know of Donaire or Rigondeaux, I doubt they even know who Quigg is.
Absolutely.  No chance at all that my 'casual' boxing follower friends know who Rigondeaux is.  No chance at all.

What is a 'casual' anyway? When do you stop being a 'casual' and start becoming a 'hardcore' follower?
I believe it's when you sign up to a boxing forum and DON'T regularly post articles that suggest Ricky Hatton could have beaten Marvin Hagler.

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:27 am

DAVE667 wrote:I believe it's when you sign up to a boxing forum and DON'T regularly post articles that suggest Ricky Hatton could have beaten Marvin Hagler.
you have to have also heard of Ezzard Charles, name one world champion below lightweight, and to be able to make a convincing case as to why modern training/nutrition does not necessarily beat fighting every 2 hours.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:28 am

Absolutely.  No chance at all that my 'casual' boxing follower friends know who Rigondeaux is.  No chance at all.

What is a 'casual' anyway?  When do you stop being a 'casual' and start becoming a 'hardcore' follower?
My mate at work is someone who I would class as casual, will watch a fight on Sky at the weekend but would not alter his plans to do so, and would buy the odd PPV for certain fights. Knows enough to have a conversation but certainly ain’t going to wax lyrical about the genius of Joe Gans. I can say with something approaching absolute conviction that he has not in any way shape or form heard of Rigo or Donaire.

Think people frequently overestimate the popularity of the sport. Went to an evening with Holyfield last week and overheard the two young lads serving behind the bar whilst I was having a drink and they had no idea who he was, heard one of them asking if he was British at one point. They were not kids who hated sport either because I heard them discussing football later and they could speak about that with knowledge and confidence.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:33 am

Rowley wrote:

What is a 'casual' anyway?  When do you stop being a 'casual' and start becoming a 'hardcore' follower?
My mate at work is someone who I would class as casual, will watch a fight on Sky at the weekend but would not alter his plans to do so, and would buy the odd PPV for certain fights. Knows enough to have a conversation but certainly ain’t going to wax lyrical about the genius of Joe Gans. I can say with something approaching absolute conviction that he has not in any way shape or form heard of Rigo or Donaire.

Think people frequently overestimate the popularity of the sport. Went to an evening with Holyfield last week and overheard the two young lads serving behind the bar whilst I was having a drink and they had no idea who he was, heard one of them asking if he was British at one point. They were not kids who hated sport either because I heard them discussing football later and they could speak about that with knowledge and confidence.
Given Holyfield's decreasing levels of articulation, it's not surprising they thought he may have been English. Think Carl Froch is doing "An evening with..." at a Hotel in Bradford (or he's just done one...don't care enough to find out for definite) but I'd wager that whilst a number of people went and we're happy to shell out a tenner for a picture with him, there's still be a fair few wondering whether or not he'd actually fought Joe Calzaghe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:35 am

Rowley wrote:

What happens if you watch lots of boxing, read about boxing quite often, buy both UK publications on a weekly/monthly basis, buy any PPV's available and regularly contribute to a boxing forum, BUT, refuse to pay for BoxNation?

Does that make me a man of great principle or a 'casual' who should pull his Chino's back up?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:36 am

Holyfield actually spoke quite well Dave, was lucid and easy to follow. Was surprised as I had heard so much about his apparently diminishing articulation but based on the evidence of the evening would have to say it has been overstated.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:36 am

Makes you a tight arse.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:38 am

there is an evening with Larry Holmes coming up in Leeds soon, could be an interesting one!

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:38 am

seanmichaels wrote:Makes you a tight arse.
I'm from the North. Goes without saying.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:40 am

rick_dagless wrote:there is an evening with Larry Holmes coming up in Leeds soon, could be an interesting one!
Tyson is also touring his Undisputed Truth tour over here next year. Got my tickets for Manchester this morning.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:41 am

Tyson, for all his faults tends to be very knowledgeable and a proper boxing scholar, should be a good do Jeff!

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:44 am

It has been generally well reviewed in the States, apparently he is quite funny and engaging on stage so hopefully should be worth watching. Just wish the budget had stretched to the meet and greet tickets but I am a Yorkshireman at heart.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:44 am

Makes you look obstinate in a D4 like manner. Wink

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

rick_dagless wrote:there is an evening with Larry Holmes coming up in Leeds soon, could be an interesting one!
No doubt he'll be drinking several pints of BITTER!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:47 am

Rowley wrote:It has been generally well reviewed in the States, apparently he is quite funny and engaging on stage so hopefully should be worth watching. Just wish the budget had stretched to the meet and greet tickets but I am a Yorkshireman at heart.
Yeah what a show. Come and have a giggle with a convicted r*pist and ear biter.

Make sure you post a review, Jeff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:49 am

Tyson is in hot water for poaching young fighters from the US Olympic team for his stable.

He got a good old scolding from Team Boxing USA. It's a headline story so I was surprised there wasn't a thread on here.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:50 am

If Tyson was so engaging, he'd allow everyone a photo op. The fact you have to pay extra is proof positive that the man is a criminal and a charlatan and a fraud and a con man and essentially a gentleman of low moral standing. I for one will not be going...I have tickets to watch Frank Warren beating up coma patients instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:52 am

DAVE667 wrote:No doubt he'll be drinking several pints of BITTER!
must admit DAVE i will be expecting a fair bit of vitriol, and if there is anyone in the room who has not heard of Big Pants Lar, then they will come away with no illusions as to who the best and most underrated boxer ever is! Smile

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:57 am

rick_dagless wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:No doubt he'll be drinking several pints of BITTER!
must admit DAVE i will be expecting a fair bit of vitriol, and if there is anyone in the room who has not heard of Big Pants Lar, then they will come away with no illusions as to who the best and most underrated boxer ever is! Smile
There'll be people walking out thinking "I wonder if that moderate speaker Nick Griffin is in town, I think a bit of light hearted banter is called for after that"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

Strongback wrote:Tyson is in hot water for poaching young fighters from the US Olympic team for his stable.

He got a good old scolding from Team Boxing USA. It's a headline story so I was surprised there wasn't a thread on here.
Good heavens...can't see other Promoters/Managers doing that........

No thread because it's a non story.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

Rowley wrote:
Tyson is also touring his Undisputed Truth tour over here next year. Got my tickets for Manchester this morning.
Yeah? Supposed to be really good. I'll have a look at that -- thanks Jeff.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:10 am

26th March next year Haz. Think he is only doing one date in Manchester so hurry up mate. There were still tickets this morning through the venue website. Is the o2 Apollo

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:14 am

I can't dislike tyson really..........

1. I thought the r*** case was flawed...He's still moaning about it now when everyone else has moved on.....Kind of points to a guy who feels a sense of injustice..

2. He always seemed to just want to be left alone rather than embrace celebrity culture..........

3. He's been used and abused all his life.........Obviously I'm not advocating chewing ears off or saying I'd like to live next door to him........He has done some awful things........out of frustration...

4. There is no BS to the guy he is what he is and doesn't try to be anything he's not..

Kind of hope he gets it together......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down