The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC Pool 4 - Team Analysis and fixtures

+4
Artful_Dodger
whocares
VietGwentRevisited
yappysnap
8 posters

Go down

HC Pool 4 - Team Analysis and fixtures Empty HC Pool 4 - Team Analysis and fixtures

Post by yappysnap Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:01 am

Pool 4 looks like it should be owned by the big name French teams Clermont and Racing Metro, but hopefully the comparative minnows of Harlequins and Scarlets can cause some upsets along the way.

ASM Clermont Auvergne

FORM: The perennial European bridesmaids have had a tough start to the season after their 12/13 final defeat. Losses to Toulon, Montpellier by a mammoth score, Stade Francais and Oyonnax have been tempered by wins against Bayonne, Bordeaux and others. So far they look poor away from home with only one win on the road, on the flip side when they're in the bear pit of Parc des Sports Marcel Michelin there are few teams that can live with them as other heavy weights such as Toulouse have found out this season, when on the front foot they can score tries from everywhere and are more then capable of putting other quality sides to the sword. It's only when their pack is matched up front that any team can hope to hold them and put them under pressure in return. Clermont easily have the squad to compete in two tournaments and while they'll probably be more focussed on T14 they desperately need silverware this season to end the draught, they'll be looking to top the pool and make life as easy as possible in the play offs.

SQUAD:
Clermont:

PLAYER TO WATCH: It's difficult to pick just one in a squad that is littered with giants like the massive Fijian Nalaga and his opposite winger All Black Sivivatu, or scary strong prop Zirikashvili, as well as Rougerie, Regan King, Wesley Fofana or ex Welsh star Lee Byrne but the real heart beat of this side is a player who's probably the smallest on the pitch every time he plays. Morgan Parra the "little general" guides this side around the park like no other, running the ball, creating plays and barking at his forward pack all game long. He sets the tempo that the team play by and kicks the points that they get him, usually with pin point accuracy. He is probably one of the best 9's in the world and although we don't see him much, Europe is his chance to shine.

Harlequins Rugby

FORM: The london based side come in to Europe on the back of their worst start in 3 seasons. Losses at home to Saracens and Northampton Saints mean the Stoop is no where near the fortress that it needs to be. Last weeks loss to basement side London Irish will not have helped team morale either. The only wins of the season have come against other lower clubs and it has to be a worry that the Quins rampant attack seems to have been worked out by most sides and they have no way of getting around this. Tries are looking difficult to come by at the moment especially with issues at the set piece. There is still some magic in the backs but if the pack can not get them clean ball then the Londoners will keep struggling for points. With their poor position in the league Harlequins will probably focus more on the Premiership this season, although a need for silverware could see them looking to drop into the Amlin to regain that trophy squad size will hamper them though.

SQUAD:
Harlequins:

PLAYER TO WATCH: Although they might not have the star packed line-ups of the French teams there is still plenty of quality in the side. Currant England internationals Joe Marler, Danny Care and Mike Brown are all key men and England captain Chris Robshaw leads well. But the key man in the side is no longer an international player, Nick Easter will set the pace for the team, thought too old for England he is having a renaissance in London at Quins. If he can make the big carries and bust through tackles then the backs can get the momentum that they need. In all past European wins Easter has been at the heart of everything and it'll be the same this season.

Scarlets

FORM: Another team struggling with a poor start to the season, the Scarlets have so far only won two games and sit mid table in the Rabo Pro12. Their three losses have come home and away to teams that they would have expected to beat prior to the season starting. Obviously the loss of star player George North will not help this but there seems to be a lack of edge about the Welsh Region this season and their attack is not the rapier that it was last season, defence as well is a serious problem for the region but they do have bright sparks throughout who can turn a game on its head if they just get the chance. Just making it out of this pool will be a massive accomplishment for Scarlets, and to be honest with their small squad they probably can't spare the resources to manage this and do well in the league, expect them to battle well at home but not attempt too much away.

SQUAD:
Scarlets:

PLAYER TO WATCH: With probably the weakest squad of the pool the Scarlets have mainly stuck with home grown players that few outside of Wales may have heard of. Some big names do stand out though, Scotland international Barclay is joined by Welsh players Jordan Williams, Turnbull and one of the stars of the Lions tour Jonathan Davies. The player that'll guide those around him though is Welsh fly half Rhys Priestland, he's shown his class in the past in particular being a key part of Wales heroic WC campaign and if he has come back from injury rested and ready to play then his fast hands and clever kicking could be the catalyst to help the Scarlets get out this tough pool.

Racing Metro 92
FORM:The second giant French team in this pool and they carry on the theme of miss-firing starts with 4 losses so far in the T14 and a mid table position coming in to Europe. Massive losses to other top of the table sides show that they're probably not at the level of past seasons, and a shock loss to Grenoble at home last weekend will have dented team confidence as well. Again wins have only really come against other bottom placed sides in the league and Racing look as if they struggle against any team with a solid pack and good defence. Their own attack has been struggling this season, and defensively they've leaked a lot of points to weaker sides as their organisation is not good. They do though have a big enough squad to compete on two fronts and a low position in the T14 will probably mean that they focus more on Europe.

SQUAD:
Racing Metro:

PLAYER TO WATCH: You look at that squad and wonder why they haven't won more. Any team that includes Jamie Roberts and Dan Lydiate of Wales, playing behind giant props Tonga'uiha and Mujati backed up by SA lock Juandre Kruger are always going to compete physically with the best in the world. But it's no10 Jonny Sexton who'll be key to their Euro aspirations by bringing the guile and smarts to temper the brute force around him, he's done it before with Leinster and shown that on form he can win games on his own. The most complete fly half in the North if they can just get him good ball and have some options out wide for him then Racing will be a real contender.

Fixtures
12/10/2013 15:40 P4 Harlequins  v   Scarlets The Twickenham Stoop
13/10/2013 21:00 P4 Racing Métro 92  v   ASM Clermont Auvergne Stade Yves-du-Manoir (Colombes)

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

HC Pool 4 - Team Analysis and fixtures Empty Re: HC Pool 4 - Team Analysis and fixtures

Post by yappysnap Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:31 pm

Looking at those squads and you can't really see past Clermont. Hopefully though the others will make the home games tough for them at least.

A part of me hopes that Quins have been saving their best for this comp...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

HC Pool 4 - Team Analysis and fixtures Empty Re: HC Pool 4 - Team Analysis and fixtures

Post by VietGwentRevisited Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:41 pm

Clermont will win the group, then choke again in the knock out rounds.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:11 pm

Some very good analysis YappySnap. Cheers for that.
Clermont is more weaker than last year though mainly because of no recruitment this summer:
- ageing second row
- injuries in the back row
- nobody at flyhalf behind brock james
I really dont fancy them doing much this year. Might go through this group though but will be tough.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 09 Oct 2013, 6:40 am

Cheers Whocares, do you think Racing will do better then Clermont then?

Agree about the Clermont squad it is looking weaker then last year, but that still makes it one of the best in the tournament. Brock Jame is a liability though, don't know why they haven't got a more solid fly half.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 09 Oct 2013, 7:41 am

Are you going to do this for every pool yappy? I appreciate you have a life buts its a good read and I'd love to see more for the other groups Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 09 Oct 2013, 7:43 am

whocares wrote:Some very good analysis YappySnap. Cheers for that.
Clermont is more weaker than last year though mainly because of no recruitment this summer:
- ageing second row
- injuries in the back row
- nobody at flyhalf behind brock james
I really dont fancy them doing much this year. Might go through this group though but will be tough.
They've had a couple of shockers in the Top 14 as well, including losing by 40 points to Montpellier (Which makes things very interesting in Montpellier's group with Ulster and Tigers)

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:55 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:Are you going to do this for every pool yappy?  I appreciate you have a life buts its a good read and I'd love to see more for the other groups Smile
Cheers for the support Artful, yea I guess if I pull my finger out I can. It's either that or GTA once I'm off shift anyway...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:34 pm

Got a feeling Racing will take this group, there isn't really a past-time winner to test them in the group stages. Clermont will be good enough to win all their home games but I can't see them progressing. Quins will do average and Scarlets will likely go without a win.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor40 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 3:10 pm

Quins wont win any games.

Trevor40

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:43 pm

Cheers Trev great analysis there.

Saint yea if Racing play to their potential then definitely, they've been a bit rubbish till now. You really don't think Scarlets can surprise someone at home though?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:58 pm

We thought they'd take Exeter last year, but they didn't. They might be able to get one over on Quins because they now have a very strong scrum and driving maul, but their defence is poor so Quins could easily get a few tries themselves.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor40 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:37 am

Well, quins are weaker and in worse form than any other team in the
group. Not sure what further analysis you need.

Trevor40

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

We'll see. Also, nice to see you've spread your incredibly familiar brand of constructive feedback and positivity onto here as well, T40, there just wasn't enough insistent posting of exactly the same comment when you were just on one forum!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor40 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

Which bit of the above isn't true? Quins are weak upfront and the backs are awful. Even Wuss have scored more tries this season.

Trevor40

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:12 am

Currently the points about our form are relatively true, though I was reasonably happy with our performance vs Saints and even Sarries, just not Irish. I'm getting less satisfied as we go on, but my biggest problem isn't that what you say has elements of truth in it but that it is literally the only thing you ever post anywhere. So, as I already know what your post will say before you post it, I may as well block you
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:14 am

Hmm, just seen that 3/4 people on my foes list have since been rooted out as trolls and banned. Strong pattern
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor40 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:57 am

If you're happy with a team going backwards then I guess you're happy with a box of chocolates.

Trevor40

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:02 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Hmm, just seen that 3/4 people on my foes list have since been rooted out as trolls and banned. Strong pattern
Did Logan get banned?

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 10 Oct 2013, 8:38 pm

I can only assume so as otherwise I would have expected to see him pop up after our defeat to Irish, if not beforehand
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down