The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coaching Favour

4 posters

Go down

Coaching Favour Empty Coaching Favour

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:22 pm

Hiya group - I would like to request a favour from anyone involved with coaching, playing or a club set-up.

Whilst I am on my current medical leave, my club has asked me to put together consolidate core plays, calls, etc.with progression from U13 to U15 to U17 levels.   Our goal is to simplify things for the kids and make the club more consistent.  Like many of us I have a library of plays/drills, but after looking none are really connected by a learning progression.  I am thinking of a simple under line at U13, then add a few options for the next level and more again for the higher level.  

Does anyone here have some info they would be willing to share?  It would be greatly appreciated?  Please let me know and I will PM you my email.  

Thanks!

Grey

Last edited by doctor_grey on Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : I type like poop)

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Coaching Favour Empty Re: Coaching Favour

Post by Driver Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:57 pm

I'll have a dig through to see if i'v got anything.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:25 pm

Thanks. Anything would be helpful

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:13 pm

This is nothing like what you are looking for but is a very useful guide for when to introduce what aspects of the game to the age groups you are dealing with.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/downloads/LTPD_Brochure_FINAL.pdf

Regarding your actual request, I think you will just have to get the red pen out and create a play book. You could cover it in green leather and sleep with it under your pillow a la Vince Lombardi.
Personally I like to work on a specific skill lets say a 10/12 switch and give it a name. We'll be original and call it X1. Every team can learn X1 and then add the options depending on skill levels and experience, 10 dummy switch to 12 hits 13 in space, 10 dummy switch to 12 hits 15 behind 13 etc. etc. The idea being that the only call is X1 but it could be any manner of variations off X1 depending on whats in front of them. They are encouraged to identify whats on, where the space is and such. Your U13's may only have two moves off X1 but your u17's could have 6 or 7.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 11:59 pm

Sub,
This is really terrific. No, not exactly what I am looking for, as you said, but establishes clear objectives by age group. This is very helpful. More importantly, it establishes an organisational philosophy, almost cradle to grave. I already used the IRFU guidelines for standardised pitch dimension.

I need to read in more detail, which I will do on Wednesday. As I said, I am home wityh limited ability to do anything. This is perfect.

I did expect to write up some plays, but I figured I wanted to see what our community on 606 has available. Would probably be a lot smarter than what I could come up with.

Thanks again.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

Grey, one thing I would suggest is keeping things as simple as possible, start with one or two plays and get them right and then expand.
Also with regard to calls let the boys make the names/themes up themselves, they are more likely to remember them in the heat of the game - for example my boys know that any line out call with a colour in it means that they drive around whoever wins the ball so they can call out anything they like as long as it has a colour in, which makes it harder for the opposition to remember the calls.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down