The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe

+6
dyrewolfe
Bull
bogbrush
GSC
SteveG
Fernando
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe Empty Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe

Post by Fernando Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:39 pm

The Honda-owned venue is a favourite amongst drivers and fans alike and you can expect to see the grandstands packed from sunrise to sunset despite the lack of a Japanese driver for the first time since 2001.

Track: Suzuka International Racing Course. Permanent circuit.

Race start time: 7am UK time Sunday (3pm local).

Laps: 53.

Track length: 5.807 km.

Tyre allocation: Medium (white) and hard (orange).

DRS Zones: One - on the pit straight.

Driver steward: Emanuele Pirro.

Lap record: Kimi Raikkonen - 1:31.540 - (McLaren; 2005).

2012 pole: Sebastian Vettel - 1:30.839 (Red Bull).

The Japanese Grand Prix has been won by Sebastian Vettel for three of the last four years, with Jenson Button's 2011 victory the only blemish on the German's record since the race returned to Suzuka after two years at Fuji.

Ferrari dominated the race at the start of the century with five successive victories, but the last of those came from Michael Schumacher in 2004 - a run Fernando Alonso desperately needs to put to an end this weekend to keep his slim title hopes alive.

2012 result: 1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2. Felipe Massa (Ferrari); 3. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber); 4. Jenson Button (McLaren); 5. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren); 6. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus); 7. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India); 8. Pastor Maldonado (Williams); 9. Mark Webber (Red Bull); 10. Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso).

Last five winners at Suzuka: 2012: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2011: Jenson Button (McLaren); 2010: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2009: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2006: Fernando Alonso (Renault).

Pirelli will bring the two hardest compounds in their range - the white-banded medium tyres and the orange-marked mediums.

They say this is to "soak up the high-energy demands of rapid corners such as 130R and Spoon". This is a more conservative choice than in 2012 when the soft compound was coupled with the hard, although this year's rubber is a step softer than last year's equivalent.

Source: Sky Sports

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe Empty Re: Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe

Post by Guest Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:03 pm

Is it me, or am I the only one who doesn't actually like this track? I mean, the races are usually dull, unless there's rain & RB should dominate on these long corners. Yeah, it's a great track for the drivers, big g-forces but I'm not that fussed with this track at all.

Back to top Go down

Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe Empty Re: Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe

Post by SteveG Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:22 pm

ok here's my prediction: Vettel will bag pole, get off to a flying start, open up a three second gap by the end of lap two and err go on to win the race. Just call me clairvoyant.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:37 am

Vettel in imperious form. Say what you like about equipment etc but he really does produce his best at crunch time in a season.

Ferrari looked close to Mercedes
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 12 Oct 2013, 7:15 am

SteveG wrote:ok here's my prediction: Vettel will bag pole, get off to a flying start, open up a three second gap by the end of lap two and err go on to win the race. Just call me clairvoyant.
Best of three?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sat 12 Oct 2013, 11:12 am

bogbrush wrote:
SteveG wrote:ok here's my prediction: Vettel will bag pole, get off to a flying start, open up a three second gap by the end of lap two and err go on to win the race. Just call me clairvoyant.
Best of three?
Ok Ok (my hands are held up) but hope I'm wrong on all three. So far so good - however I expect normal service to be resumed at the first corner.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 12 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm

Yet more KERS issues for the conspiracy theorists to get stuck into Laugh

Great effort from Webber, and Vettel to put it on the front row with his issues. Suspect if they're close towards the end, Vettel might let him have this one
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

Even though Vettel had KERS failure, Webber looked good with the heavier chassis & lower downforce rear wing. I think today showed how dominant that car is, was ridiculous the lap Vettel produced in Q2 compared to it's rivals. Hamilton did a good job, couldn't of achieved anything more. Alonso/Kimi just dire qualifying performances again.

Fully expect Vettel to lead into turn 1, however with Webber's set-up & straight line speed, he could end up on Vettel's rear wing during the race. Could be interesting, like Malaysia. Not much else to get excited about really, fully expect a safety car at some point.

Also, see Webber telling or laughing with Hamilton about Vettel losing KERS. (I'm pretty sure that's what was going on)

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 12 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

It's Webber, Vettel will be into turn one before he gets the wheels moving
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 12 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

I hope Webber wins, the guy deserves a win before he leaves.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 12 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm

Well done to Chilton for beating the other 3 also. Surprised if he's back next year but a good effort
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

Slightly fortuitous pole for Webber, but glad to see him there all the same. Just got my fingers crossed that he can make a good start for once and keep Seb behind him.

Either that or Vettel's KERS issues crop up again during the race. Wink Head says the Red Bulls will swap places very early on, but would love to see Webber give Seb a real fight...after all, its not like he has anything to lose.

Hamilton probably did all he could and given the RB's current form, 3rd place tomorrow will be a decent result.

Massa out-performed Alonso again but they have habit of reversing roles over the course of a race and if Nando can do one of his banzai starts, he could be in contention for 3rd.

Similar story at Lotus with Grosjean starting well ahead of Raikkonen...perhaps an indication that Kimi's head is already back with Ferrari, while Romain is wanting to show he can lead the team? The Iceman will need another Korea type performance to come through the field if he wants some decent points.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by sikhlion Sat 12 Oct 2013, 8:59 pm

Why is Alonso not the best at qualifying yet so much better in race conditions?!

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 12 Oct 2013, 9:20 pm

Whistle 

Japanese GP Thread - Race/Qualifying & Practice Spoilers ahead - Sponsors by Rocky's Sushi Recipe Tumblr_msmewx8zL21r8kneko1_500

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 12 Oct 2013, 9:28 pm

1 lap pace is different to consistent pace I guess

Part of what makes Vettel so good is he has both
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Sat 12 Oct 2013, 9:34 pm

Excellent qualy from Webber this morning. He has days like this when he's on fire (not literally this week anyway) although they have been sparse the past few years. Please let him get away from the grid clean tomorrow.

Lewis got as much as he could expect and Massa and Romain again beat the 2 qualy sandbaggers. Nice to see Di Riesta have an uneventful day for a change and the Hulk is continuing his good form of late.

Also a word for Max Chilton who has been steadily improving and has beaten his teammate for the 1st time in qualy.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 12 Oct 2013, 9:57 pm

This just underlines how much better the Red Bull is than the rest of the field. Both cars had KERS issues apparently yet lock out the front row of the grid.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Oct 2013, 6:59 am

Here we go, moment of truth. C`mon Webber just make the first corner. Hope the Mercedes can keep pace, doubt it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Oct 2013, 7:05 am

Unbelievable, another puncture for Hamilton. At least Vettel is not leading.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 7:25 am

Easy penalty for Rosberg there.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 7:34 am

RB obviously don't trust Webber to handle an overtake by Vettel.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Oct 2013, 8:27 am

Vettel has won, Webber can't get the overtake done. How disappointing. Race was pretty dull, nothing much happening, tyres dictating too much. Shocking day for Mercedes.

Championship 99% won for Vettel, only a formality now.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 8:32 am

All came down to passing Grojean quickly. Had Webber got it done he'd probably have won.

Clever 2 stop, required a lot of patience - not very exciting for viewers watching cars sit 2 secs behind to thin out tyre wear.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 8:43 am

This race perfectly emphasises the vast superiority Red Bull hold over the rest. They were in a position where, no matter what strategy they applied they would have won. Vettel on two stop and Webber on three stop beats everyone else. The only driver on the same planet Grosjean was evidently pushing it to the limit to such extent he was near enough out of fuel finishing third. The remainder were half a lap behind.

Congratulations to Seb on a fourth successive world title. Driver of the day? I'd perhaps give to Grosjean and notable drive from Guittierez as well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 8:56 am

Except for the Lotus of Grosjean is an important point.

I'm beginning to think the old guard may just not have it any more. Ferrari need to move Alonso on, I really don't like the look of the two oldies next year, and of course Alonso hasn't let up doing what De Montezemolo told him to stop.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:01 am

bogbrush wrote:Except for the Lotus of Grosjean.
Yes but Grosjean benefited from a storming start and proved how key getting into the lead is. He held the lead for a fair way with Webber like a buffer between him and Vettel enabling him to establish himself in the race. Had Grosjean had a scruffy start I have no doubt he would have ended up in the pack behind battling for the scraps.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:01 am

Susie Wolff though. Seriously.

Great move by Sky.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:28 am

I can see what you're saying regarding the old guard bogbrush. However, Alonso for me is still up there as the best driver in F1, with Hamilton second. I think Raikonnen is over-rated though, and the likes of Button should be moving on.

Today was a great drive by Vettel, but he is in the best car by far with the Red Bull 1-2, Grosjean was the only one who could do anything and that was because he got the jump at the start and even then, he didn't have the car to compete but he at least had a real go. Alonso got the maximum he could in 4th, and the two Saubers notably drove excellently to get top 10 positions.

Championship over, both driver's and constructor's. It's now just a case of 2nd place in the Constructors to fight for. Hopefully the rule changes will shake things up for next season.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:42 am

bogbrush wrote:Susie Wolff though. Seriously.

Great move by Sky.
I certainly would! Wink Toto is one lucky guy.

Ultimately disappointing climax to the race, but at least it did have a few incidents and some good racing through the field. According to Christian Horner, it was largely Seb's ability to manage his tyres during the first stint, that enabled him to go with the 2-stop strategy. Webber still had a good chance to fight for the win, if Grosjean hadn't done such a good job of holding him up. Guess it was the outcome the team would have wanted, in the end.

Good race for Lotus. Storming start by Grosjean left the Red Bulls in his wake into the first corner. Ultimately didn't have the pace to extend a significant lead, but it must have been a confidence boost for Romain to lead for so much of the race. Think lack of pace and greater tyre wear meant he couldn't live with Vettel when he decided to turn up the wick and challenge for the lead. Decent race for Kimi, making up 4 positions on his 9th place start to finish 5th.

Mixed bag for Ferrari with Massa and Alonso almost reversing their starting positions. Nando again probably the best he could with his 4th place finish. Massa probably would have done better, if not for his drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane.

Great race for Sauber with both drivers finishing in the top 10 (6th place for Hulkenberg and 7th for Gutierrez). Hulk spent a long time in 4th and both Alonso and Raikkonen had a fight to get past him.

Weekend to forget for Mercedes with Hamilton forced to retire early on after colliding with Vettel at the start, sustaining a rear puncture which damaged the floor of his car. Rosberg was having a decent race until he was released unsafely from a pit stop, nearly running into McLaren's Perez. The subsequent drive-through cost him several places but he managed to finish 8th.

As for McLaren - the less said the better. Button managed to improve on his starting position by 1 place to finish 9th, while Perez went back a few places, ending up 15th.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:54 am

dyrewolfe wrote:

Great move by Sky.
I certainly would! Wink
Would what? Give her a drive in F1? Wink 

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 9:58 am

Webber suggesting the team changed him to two stops. Plenty for the conspiracy theorists there.

If there was anything naughty going on it more reflects that they didn't trust Mark not to take them both off. There's certainly been enough egging on in that direction. I still think splitting the tactics made most sense to beat Lotus: no point having two cars follow his strategy.

Still, possible scandal as title winning team may favour winning guy. Unprecedented.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 10:54 am

Changing Webber to a 3 stop was smart after the Malaysia shenanigans.

Great drive from Grosjean, showing the potential without the propensity for the moments of stupidity. Putting his foot down for next year.

Good win for Vettel, measured the race superbly and made the move when he had to.

I can't really blame Alonso too much, th Ferrari has probably slipped to around Saubers level at this point. He and Vettel are probably 1a and 1b at this point for me. Wonder if he's got 1 more gamble left in him and would entertain McLaren
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

I think he should, for himself. He'll be Johnny Nomates at Ferrari next year and he's never functioned in a joint #1 situation, never mind what I suspect he'll be facing next year.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 11:32 am

Jordan thinks Hulkenburg is taking Di Restas seat at FI.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 11:38 am

GSC wrote:Jordan thinks Hulkenburg is taking Di Restas seat at FI.
Whilst Sky clearly feel Hulkenberg is bound for Lotus. I know if I were him I'd go for Lotus way more than Force India. Heck - the way Sauber are going just now he my even be better off staying put that going to Force India. That would be a sideways move a best for him and he deserves better.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 11:49 am

Probably wants $$$
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

GSC wrote:Probably wants $$$
No I just think Jordan is barking up the wrong tree in my opinion. I'd be surprised (no gobsmacked) if he opted for Force India over Lotus. Didn't his first stint at Force India end not on the best of terms? Also Lotus are by far the more competitive team which is what Hulkenberg is striving for now. Force India are regressing as well so why move from Sauber to a team in seemingly free-fall form-wise?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 11:59 am

Form at this point is fairly meaningless for next year with the reg changes.

Also FI designed a better car than Sauber but got screwed by tyre changes tbf
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:01 pm

bogbrush wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:

Great move by Sky.
I certainly would! Wink
Would what? Give her a drive in F1? Wink 

Erm...yes... *cough*

Joking aside, I'd like to see her at least given some time in free practice...she can't be much worse than Maldonado or Bottas. As we're getting to the end of the season, I'd even consider putting her in a race car for one or two races.

If all she ever does it testing and simulation work, its not really going to help get women into F1 in any meaningful way.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:02 pm

GSC wrote:Form at this point is fairly meaningless for next year with the reg changes.

Also FI designed a better car than Sauber but got screwed by tyre changes tbf
Perhaps. However, Force India or Lotus - no contest. Lotus are in contention for second in the constructors title whilst Force India are two hundred points or so behind them in sixth.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:05 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
GSC wrote:Probably wants $$$
No I just think Jordan is barking up the wrong tree in my opinion. I'd be surprised (no gobsmacked) if he opted for Force India over Lotus. Didn't his first stint at Force India end not on the best of terms? Also Lotus are by far the more competitive team which is what Hulkenberg is striving for now. Force India are regressing as well so why move from Sauber to a team in seemingly free-fall form-wise?
Agreed. With those options, Lotus are definitely the better bet at the moment. Equally, Sauber seem to be on a steady upward curve, so staying where he is might not be the worst thing he could do.

Of course, all bets are off to a certain extent with next year's reg changes, but even so, I wouldn't expect any major shake-ups to the pecking order. My main hope is that they enable the likes of Lotus, Mercedes and Ferrari to give RB some headaches.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:07 pm

Lotus also haven't paid Kimis salary
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:09 pm

Well, that could be an issue, but haven't FI also had some financial problems?

Plus I doubt Hulk would command a salary as big as Kimi's.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm

GSC wrote:Lotus also haven't paid Kimis salary
Drivers though are motivated less by bucks and more by results. Kimi's results despite no pay this season displays that. Nico is no different in my opinion. He either goes to Lotus (might not be guaranteed income) and has a very competitive car competing for podium finishes or goes to Force India (guaranteed income but not great pay in any case) and drives a car that promises him perhaps less pace than his current car (Sauber) is offering him and with little to no chance of podium finishes. A no-brainer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:17 pm

Kimi won't be driving for free next season and probably has more in the bank.

Moneys a larger factor than you think, especially in a high risk sport
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

GSC wrote:Kimi won't be driving for free next season and probably has more in the bank.

Moneys a larger factor than you think, especially in a high risk sport
So you say Kimi hasn't been paid this year yet has excellent results - so what has motivated Kimi this year if money really matters?

In any case I ask you who would you choose? Lotus (potentially second in the title this year) or Force India (potentially seventh in the title this year)?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:25 pm

Also everyone who had a hand in this lotus car has gone Ferrari
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Kimi would carry on driving even if money was his motivation. He gains nothing by sitting it out.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm

That point would be relevant if Kimi signed up to drive for free in the first point. Hulk probably wants a long term deal for financial security after bouncing around teams. If he impresses again he'll earn a seat at one of the top teams
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm

Sorry GSC but you will convince nobody with that. Lotus hold far more reasons to join than Force India. Heck at this time even remaining at Sauber seems more attractive proposition.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next