The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Del Potro Rocks

+9
banbrotam
zaron
summerblues
ChequeredJersey
HM Murdock
Jeremy_Kyle
CAS
JuliusHMarx
invisiblecoolers
13 posters

Go down

Why Del Potro Rocks Empty Why Del Potro Rocks

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:06 pm

A Different Fan boy thread , you guys have to come up with a unique reason why he rocks, it could be silly but meaningful. Very Happy 

Del Po Rocks rocks coz when he is on roll nobody beats him Headscratch  drumroll  notworthy notworthy 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Why Del Potro Rocks Empty Re: Why Del Potro Rocks

Post by Guest Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:09 pm

He certainly rocked the casbah tonight clap

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:11 pm

His FH rocks - I don't know if it's 'better' than Fed's or Rafa's, but it's the one I enjoy watching most - it's looks so simple and clean and devastating.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:26 pm

every time I start to doubt him he reminds he why I thought he would be number 1 day even back in '08, a great mover for 6'6 and he has so much bottle, something I think lacks with so many when taking on the big 4. His size I feel at the same time holds him back as over a season he gets tired, but the guy is absolutely devastating when he's in the zone, possibly unbeatable

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

Delpo rocks because he's probably the only one with the firepower to break into the grinders defences. Wow what a terrific match to watch was this one!! Very Happy 
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

He reminds me of the Theodore Roosvelt quote: "speak softly but carry a big stick".

I love that such a polite, mild-mannered guy is in possession of a weapon as destructive as that forehand!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:43 pm

Del Po rocks because in the era of the "Big 4" he still managed to win a Major and beat Fed, Djoko and Rafa to do it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

people are quick to say he's never won a Masters but he sure has had a tough time of it, Indian Wells this year he beat Murray and Djokovic and that still wasn't enough to be champion! Even now, he's just beaten the World Number 1 but now has to play Djokovic, he's never had a draw open up for him he's had to create it himself

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:47 pm

CAS wrote:and he has so much bottle, something I think lacks with so many when taking on the big 4
He does not seem to get overawed like the other guys do.  The way he saved all those break points was so calm, I fully expected in that second set that Rafa would eventually convert one oft them but Delpo just did not flinch.

That said, I wonder whether it is the game or the bottle that come first.  Is Delpo getting better results against the top dogs than some of the other guys around him because he is mentally strong, or does he draw his mental strength from the knowledge that when his game is truly on, he will have a good chance to beat anyone?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 12 Oct 2013, 3:54 pm

It is a long shot, but Delpo still has outside chance to finish the year at No 3.  I would love to see him do it.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Sat 12 Oct 2013, 6:16 pm

summerblues wrote:It is a long shot, but Delpo still has outside chance to finish the year at No 3.  I would love to see him do it.
Yes, its possible. He is only 1370 points behind Murray (who won't play again this year), and he has 3400 points to play for: Shanghai final (400), Basel (500), Paris (1000), WTF (1500).

More likely, and maybe even odds on, is to get to world #4 - and a better draw at the AO. Delpo is only 570 behind Ferrer.

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 12 Oct 2013, 7:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:His FH rocks - I don't know if it's 'better' than Fed's or Rafa's, but it's the one I enjoy watching most - it's looks so simple and clean and devastating.
Just bolding one word of your comment above. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 12 Oct 2013, 7:56 pm

CAS wrote:people are quick to say he's never won a Masters but he sure has had a tough time of it, Indian Wells this year he beat Murray and Djokovic and that still wasn't enough to be champion! Even now, he's just beaten the World Number 1 but now has to play Djokovic, he's never had a draw open up for him he's had to create it himself
Thats was the case as well when he won USO 2009, quarters pitted against Murray [ofcourse Murray was downed by Cilic] then Rafa in Semi's and Fed in the Finals, yet he did it.

Indian Wells was strange, Rafa led 3-0 in the first set and he came back and won the first set, and Del Po was leading 3-0 in the 2nd and ended up losing the set and match to Rafa, I still haven't forgottin him saving 3 match points in that match when he was down 0-40 3-5.

Only ordinary player believes in Luck to win bro, Del Po is brave enough to create his luck to win, just watched the highlights and his forehand was in war zone, it looked like he wanted to Punish Rafa for stealing his IW title censored  Very Happy 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 12 Oct 2013, 11:24 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:He certainly rocked the casbah tonight clap

Not as good as The Clash did in 1982 Smile 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Mon 14 Oct 2013, 9:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTkVrlksDus Pretty cool vid, looks like Del boy went through a late growth spurt, maybe his unexpected 6'6 frame has held him back or maybe it is the reason he is a good mover for his size as it came quite late, especially if you compare him to Cilic

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 14 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

Cilic moves I think better for 6'6 than delpo 2bh.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 15 Oct 2013, 7:27 am

What happened to that kid that made him turn into Del Potro?! Was he exposed to gamma radiation?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 15 Oct 2013, 8:53 am

But Cilic hasn't got an ounce of DPs unreal ball striking skills. Plus I'd argue DP is a better lateral mover.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:33 am

Cilic is definitely a better mover. DP gets himself around well for such a large lump but Cilic has cat like movement. The main differences between them are that DP is mentally extremely tough and Cilic's forehand technique is very flaky.

I never really understand why Potro's game is so popular. Ultimately he is the very definition of a ball basher. He has zero variety. Surely someone like Nadal, who at least uses a range of skills, has a more attractive game?

One Delpotro is ok. However, my fear is that in ten years time tennis will be dominated by a number of such goliaths, bashing agricultural looking forehands at each other with no subtlety.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:47 am

Born Slippy wrote:I never really understand why Potro's game is so popular. Ultimately he is the very definition of a ball basher. He has zero variety. Surely someone like Nadal, who at least uses a range of skills, has a more attractive game?
Because someone hitting hard and flat is the most visceral thrill in the game and there is currently no finer exponent of that skill that Del Potro.

I find Nadal's topspin mind-numbingly dull. It's a brilliant weapon and clearly requires skill to hit but to me it always feels unambitious (his net clearance is unbelievable) and, in comparison to Del Potro, sneaky.

There's an 'honesty' to Del Potro's game that I like. It's built upon being able to hit winners and punch through defences.

In contrast, Rafa's game has historically been built upon inviting error from the opponent. Less so as the years have passed, admittedly, and not much this year at all. But I'm afraid the years of shot after shot of high bounce into a players backhand turned me off him and I just can't get behind the guy now! (even though I think he's a lovely guy and an incredible player).

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:19 pm

I became a big fan after his French Open SF with Federer in 2009, he had so much bottle and hit incredible shots in such important times, especially for a guy who was only 20 and in his first slam semi-final. He was so close to winning that match, and gained a lot of my respect and I'm sure others as well.

That year out was a crying shame because he looked like he was about to take over at that point, Nadal was coming back from injury, Federer was ageing even back then, Murray was inconsistent and Djokovic was struggling mentally.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

Enough of this love in please Cool 

I also have an admiration for someone so tall, having the ability to play 'lights out' tennis like he sometimes do

But Del Potro's take off started with a Masters defeat to Murray in 2009 and many other 'close but no cigar' big defeats

The exception that proves this rule was of course the 2009 US Open

I can think of one or two high profile players, with a similar failing reocrd, who don't invoke such sympathy - quite the opposite actually

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Cilic is definitely a better mover. DP gets himself around well for such a large lump but Cilic has cat like movement. The main differences between them are that DP is mentally extremely tough and Cilic's forehand technique is very flaky.

I never really understand why Potro's game is so popular. Ultimately he is the very definition of a ball basher. He has zero variety. Surely someone like Nadal, who at least uses a range of skills, has a more attractive game?

One Delpotro is ok. However, my fear is that in ten years time tennis will be dominated by a number of such goliaths, bashing agricultural looking forehands at each other with no subtlety.

Exactly my point. I don't understand why such players get so much praise for been (basically) one dimensional ball bashers, yet the likes of Ferrer get slated for been, er, not

It's probably because that at the end of each point (particularly after a 6+ stroke rally!!) DP looks as though he's ready to collapse and about to meet his maker (he actually makes Murray look full of youthful energy Wink ) and hence we have the old 'he tries so hard' sympathy vote

But as I've stated many times, I'm not a true Tennis fan as I'd much rather watch 6hrs of Evert/Tracey Austin than 6 minutes of Del Boy Wink 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 16 Oct 2013, 3:01 pm

Banbro, I'd have thought you loved Del Potro.

He gave Andy pulverised opponents for the Olympic and Wimbledon finals!Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 16 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Banbro, I'd have thought you loved Del Potro.

He gave Andy pulverised opponents for the Olympic and Wimbledon finals!Wink

Damn!! You've got me Wink 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Wed 16 Oct 2013, 7:29 pm

I like Juan Martin Del Potro Cat, as Purple Cats are awesome!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:04 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Cilic moves I think better for 6'6 than delpo 2bh.
I agree Cilic has got a better movement and court coverage than Del Po, to be frank Cilic is more talented than Del Po, but Del Po is a hard worker and like Rafa comes with "never say die" attitude to the court, if only Cilic had half the attitude of Del Po we would have seen him in top 5 by now.furious 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:Cilic is definitely a better mover. DP gets himself around well for such a large lump but Cilic has cat like movement. The main differences between them are that DP is mentally extremely tough and Cilic's forehand technique is very flaky.

Exactly my point. I don't understand why such players get so much praise for been  (basically) one dimensional ball bashers, yet the likes of Ferrer get slated for been, er, not

It's probably because that at the end of each point (particularly after a 6+ stroke rally!!) DP looks as though he's ready to collapse and about to meet his maker (he actually makes Murray look full of youthful energy Wink ) and hence we have the old 'he tries so hard' sympathy vote

But as I've stated many times, I'm not a true Tennis fan as I'd much rather watch 6hrs of Evert/Tracey Austin than 6 minutes of Del Boy Wink 
I like both Ferrer and Del Potro, I was so happy for Ferrer making the finals of the French Open when many criticized me, if not for the near misses this year he could have been a Wimbledon finalist, multiple masters champ picard Whisky , since we fans couldn't get that pleasure atleast some pleasure in him making thus far.thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down