The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will the PGA of America's flagship event go global?

+6
hend085
super_realist
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
Roller_Coaster
gaelgowfer
10 posters

Go down

Will the PGA of America's flagship event go global? Empty Will the PGA of America's flagship event go global?

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

Well, well, well.  Who'd a thunk it ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10384460/USPGA-poised-to-break-with-tradition-and-become-the-first-golf-major-to-leave-home-soil.html

Could be the smartest decision it's ever made.  As the fourth (in every sense) major, by putting their event on a global footing it could help raise its profile/kudos thus thwarting any advance on The Players Championship ever being accepted as a major globally.  

Wonder what Finchem is thinking right now?steam

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Will the PGA of America's flagship event go global? Empty Re: Will the PGA of America's flagship event go global?

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:22 am

Interesting that they're even thinking about it.

Bet all sorts of obstacles would be put in their way to prevent it. Might, just might stretch to Canadia by 2050...

Hmm - might tell the greens staff at our place to prepare the 5,800 yard course accordingly and bid to host it. That would be hysterical...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Will the PGA of America's flagship event go global? Empty Re: Will the PGA of America's flagship event go global?

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:49 am

Strangest proposal heard in a long time.
Imagine Finchem's thinking the same thing.
Sure Bishop's members are thrilled.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:13 pm

Not if those concerned with the US TV revenue have anything to say. Given the prevalence of on-demand viewing, live events that deliver the largest audience now matter more than ever. Canada or South America possibly -- but likely not Australia or even Europe anytime soon.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

Always thought a more global spread of majors would be good. Especially the PGA as it's the worst one.

Would be happy to see The Open in Holland, Sweden or Denmark links, or even held on a non links course for a change, as it is now the second worst major.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

cant see it going to Europe given they will be looking for new target markets and cant see it going to asia given the timing issues.

Canada it is!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:05 pm

hend085 wrote:cant see it going to Europe given they will be looking for new target markets and cant see it going to asia given the timing issues.

Canada it is!
Has to be somewhere close enough for Yanks to bother flying to. So agree that Canada, Bermuda or possibly somewhere in The Caribbean might be favoured.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

Not true Super. The vast majority of Americans that qualify for the Open Championship make the trip. In this day and age, what a major will do to endorsement earnings trumps all other tournaments.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:19 pm

That is true though, but despite it being a fairly rubbish spectacle it's the most prestigeous. I was thinking more about the "fans"
The PGA is way down the major ranking, and while I think most yank players would travel regardless of where it is I doubt the powers that be would move it too far away from the "gedindahole" , "mashedpotato" moronic fans.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:33 pm

PGA actually has an incredibly strong field. But not sure I would agree with you that the Open Championship is most prestigious -- maybe the US Open for most American touring professionals. I'm sure there's a player poll someone took somewhere on that.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:37 pm

Those player polls are worth nothing. Before the Masters they all say the Masters, before the Open they all say the Open and so on
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:40 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Those player polls are worth nothing. Before the Masters they all say the Masters, before the Open they all say the Open and so on
Exactly, same when they "poll" players favourite courses.
WHen it's conducted at St.Andrews, it's St.Andrews, when it's Augusta it's Augusta.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

Why would the PGA Of America, representing all its thousands of member pros, want to move its flagship event overseas.
Next thing you'll tell me most American flags are made in China . . . . . oops!

Shotrock,
American pros playing The Open? Yes, most do now, and partly due to its traditional spot on the calendar. Can't see that, under the present calendar at least, you'd get 100% turnout, say, in Korea, one week after Firestone and two weeks before FedEx.
Remember, you also say that most American pros would play the WGC's overseas, but, lo and behold, Tiger in China? Not this year, and not last either.

Regardless, very silly idea PGA, back to the drawing board; can't honestly see why they'd move; Oak Hill was a sell-out (and a terrific field on a true Championship course) and I'm sure I saw Valhalla's going the same way.
Attendance at The Open, for instance, bizarrely has been going down recently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:12 pm

Kwin - Didn't know that about the declining attendance at the Open Championship, but also think if they held the thing closer to London it would not be that way (discussion for another day perhaps).

I certainly never said most American professionals would play the WGC overseas, but good luck to all involved attracting the best field!

The Open Championship (as you likely know) scores the lowest of all majors for US TV audiences. Again, the prime time issue that will rear it's head if/when they move it overseas.

This year's US Open was sold out 6 months in advance and the cheapest ticket was $110/day. Now I know the cramped main line forced smaller paying crowds (approximately 25,000/day), but they could have raised the ticket price to $150 and I'm sure they would have sold that out, too. Lots of demand for majors in lots of markets in the US -- another reason I would be surprised if they moved it.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:19 pm

THe thing about Majors is that there is more to attendances than just how many people turn up.

Location, course, room on the course, viewing, access roads, hotel availability, price of accommodation, grandstands, history of course,

You can't compare one year with the next (unless it's something like Wentworth (not a major I know) or Augusta), and probably not two majors at the same course due to the temporal difference either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

Yup, Oak Hill was about the same price - think I got a small discount for buying a year in advance.

Only trouble I have with the PGA is when they prostitute themselves by going to inferior courses (like Valhalla) for commercial reasons. Stick to the great courses, keep the media happy (unlike at Kiawah) and it'll be a field of dreams.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

kwini/Shotock ... I think possibly the main reason for the lower attendance rate at The Open this year was quite simply down to the admission price on championship days.  To rich for scottish east coast grippies!  Shame because Muirfield is one of the better spectator experiences with its 2-loop design.

For me it comes back to one thing ... the PGA of America seems to be looking to re-vamp or freshen up the image of its flagship event.  At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much money it makes in America, it will remain behind the other three majors in the kudos stakes.  Twill be a bold step should they take it outside its comfort zone but one which will I believe will be welcomed by those of us who reside in ROW.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:08 pm

Pretty bizarre thing for the head of the PGA to say, given the PGA championship will never leave US soil. So why say it?

The republican nature of US golf will ensure this idea will remain firmly in that GD article and never be heard of again.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:30 pm

what next, moving the Irish open to Scotland?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:48 am

incontinentia wrote:what next, moving the Irish open to Scotland?
At least the proportion of sectarian idiots attending wouldn't drop too dramatically.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Oct 2013, 8:28 am

McLaren wrote:
incontinentia wrote:what next, moving the Irish open to Scotland?
At least the proportion of sectarian idiots attending wouldn't drop too dramatically.
Only if you held it in the West Coast. The rest of the country is sensible enough.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 18 Oct 2013, 8:28 am

It's the pga of America so why play it anywhere else. Sounds a daft idea. I think it gets a bad rep for a major and unsure why. Maybe it needs better marketing. But I am sure I read that it has a stronger and deeper field then the other majors?.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 18 Oct 2013, 9:07 am

beninho

You are correct that the PGA has the strongest field of the year. No doubt one of our OWGR guru's has the actual EV/ER (whatever they are called) points for each of the majors?

I still find it puzzling it was even mentioned given there is no need to move it, and that the mere mention of taking it abroad harms an already tarnished image.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

beninho  ... if you already believe this event to be "tarnished" then surely this is reason enough for PGA of America to at least consider ways of lifting its status?  I personally believe this event needs something bold and imaginative to increase its appeal to the wider audience.    

How would you suggest it goes about polishing its image?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 18 Oct 2013, 5:32 pm

In theory this is a good idea. There are too many majors played in the states, the PGA is the weakest one and should be played at a great course in a different country every year. Like kwini, I too believe that Americans who win a WGC or Major played in America have essentially achieved a home win, and should not be counted. We need to change this by decentralising the big tournaments away from America.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 18 Oct 2013, 5:52 pm

incontinentia; Your putting words in to my keyboard!
I'm actually NOT in favour of any change in Majors, feel they're just fine as they are, including the PGA which I'm a big fan of. Can't imagine where a second Major elsewhere in the world could attain the stature the PGA currently enjoys.

All my complaints are directed at the WGC's and the way they're artificially bigged up by the Tour, except the HSBC of course. I like the Match Play but the others are more like the Charity Shield - you want to do well but in the end who really cares about the result, at least to differentiate it from a "regular" PGA Tournament, which is what Doral and Firestone have always staged. I hadn't used the "home win" term but I like it!!

If I was going to switch a Major it would be The Masters, and that ain't gonna happen.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

Turkey's voting for Christmas.
American's think they are the centre of the universe, so they'll never permit one of their majors outside the borders.
This sort of talk keeps coming up like Celtic and Rangers in the Premiership. No chance of that either.

Be good to see The Open move about a bit more. If the tatt, ooops Irish could get a course in order and the Leek Munchers too then that would be good, failing that a trip to Europe every 10 years would help remove some of the boredom associated with that tournament too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down