The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OWGR week 42

3 posters

Go down

OWGR week 42 Empty OWGR week 42

Post by robopz Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:42 pm

OWGR Week 42

Final field ratings for the 8 OWGR counting events this week.

32 Shriners - PGA Tour
32 Japan Open  - (Subsidized as Japan Tour Flagship event)  
20 - Perth - Aus/Euro Tour
14 - Korean Open - Kor/OneAsia
14 - Venetian - Asian Tour
12 - Foshan - Challenge Tour
6 - Brazil - LatinoAmerica
4 - BMG - Sunshine

robopz

Back to top Go down

OWGR week 42 Empty Re: OWGR week 42

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

thumbsup 
robo,
Does Macau contribute owgr points, Ernie Els and all that?

Terrible rounds earlier today by Dustin and Rory . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 19 Oct 2013, 6:44 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:thumbsup 
robo,
Does Macau contribute owgr points, Ernie Els and all that?

Terrible rounds earlier today by Dustin and Rory . . . . .
Not sure I understand what you are asking... but the Venetian above is the Venetian Macau Open...

But if you're asking about OWGR points... Asian Tour events are 14 minimum but this one would have earned it's 14 on its own accord without the minimum.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:01 pm

Just checking! Hadn't seen it described as Venetian . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:01 pm

I thought the Venetian was in Las Vegas.

http://www.venetian.com/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:14 pm

Probably the same company - after all Vegas is the second biggest city in the world for gambling.
Hope Ernie wins regardless.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 19 Oct 2013, 10:32 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Probably the same company - after all Vegas is the second biggest city in the world for gambling.
Hope Ernie wins regardless.

4 shots behind journeyman long hitting Aussie Scott Hend.

reviewing the leaderboard, I see a lot more names I recognize in Macau than the Kolon Korean Open where Rory is playing. That field is terrible, probably the equivalent of a mini tour event here in USA or the ALPS tour.

Good chance Westy is going to fall out of the OWGR top 20. Spieth is a lock to pass him on Monday and Simpson needs a T2 or better to pass him.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:32 am

GPB wrote:
Good chance Westy is going to fall out of the OWGR top 20.  Spieth is a lock to pass him on Monday and Simpson needs a T2 or better to pass him.
Correct, Spieth will pass Westwood no matter what.  Simpson would pass Westwood with 3-way tie for 2nd or better. Els could pass Westwood with a win in Macau as well.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:55 am

OWGR Rankings projections for select players this weekend (this is the highest they could reach for certain placings depending on the finishes of other players)

Shriners Las Vegas
17 - Webb Simpson (current leader) High as #18 with a solo 2nd.
54 - Chesson Hadley (currently 2nd)
94 - Jeff Overton (currently 3rd)

Perth - Euro Tour
77 - Ross Fisher (currently T2)
58 - Brett Rumford (currently T2)

Macau - Asian Tour
132 - Scott Hend (current leader)
19 - Ernie Els (currently T2) - drops to #20 if Simpson finishes 1st or 2nd at Vegas

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:59 am

And Russell Knox would reach the 140's!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:25 am

kwinigolfer wrote:And Russell Knox would reach the 140's!
Very Happy  Possibly mid-120's actually

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:15 pm

Podium finishes only for McIlroy (2nd) and Els (T3), but plenty of other compensation, no doubt.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 20 Oct 2013, 4:16 pm

Robo:  Care for a Home Tour Point discussion?

I was alerted to a loophole in the application of Home Tour Points 

In the PDF file of OWGR Points and EVRs, it says in the small chart for Home Tour EVRs

"...limited to 75% of World Rating Values..."

I trying to decipher what that actually means, and its implications particularly to the minor tours.

Lets take an example of a typical Japanese PGAT event, last weeks Toshin Tournament.

OWGR rated the Toshin tournament with 6 World EVR and 5 HomeTour EVR for a total of 11.  This doesn't quite jive with the 75% mentioned above nor does it jive with the actual HomeTour value of the tournament.  Hiroyuki Fujita was in the tournament and he alone brings 8 HT EVR to every Japanese event. Yuta Ikeda brings 5 HT EVR.

==============

Reviewing some other EVR of similar tours from the lesser tours it looks like the 75% rule is close by not exactly.  Most of the lesser tour tournaments are subsidized to the OWGR minimums, so the rule is mostly pointless (pun intended).

==============

Lets look at the implication of that rule.  Suppose Tiger Woods played the Toshin Tournament last week. So not only would he bring his 45 World EVR to the Toshin Tournament, but his presence would also add up to 34 Home Tour EVR.  A total of 79 EVR to the Toshin Tournament.  

That would effectively take the Toshin tournament from a subsidized OWGR 16  (actual rating = 10) minimum to a near 24 tournament.  ONE PLAYER.  The total OWGR points awarded goes from 68 points to 114 for the tournament.

If this is the case.......WOW.  One player can make one helluva difference. Too much of a difference IMO.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:36 pm

GPB wrote:Robo:  Care for a Home Tour Point discussion?

I was alerted to a loophole in the application of Home Tour Points 

In the PDF file of OWGR Points and EVRs, it says in the small chart for Home Tour EVRs

"...limited to 75% of World Rating Values..."

I trying to decipher what that actually means, and its implications particularly to the minor tours.

Lets take an example of a typical Japanese PGAT event, last weeks Toshin Tournament.

OWGR rated the Toshin tournament with 6 World EVR and 5 HomeTour EVR for a total of 11.  This doesn't quite jive with the 75% mentioned above nor does it jive with the actual HomeTour value of the tournament.  Hiroyuki Fujita was in the tournament and he alone brings 8 HT EVR to every Japanese event. Yuta Ikeda brings 5 HT EVR.

==============

Reviewing some other EVR of similar tours from the lesser tours it looks like the 75% rule is close by not exactly.  Most of the lesser tour tournaments are subsidized to the OWGR minimums, so the rule is mostly pointless (pun intended).

==============

Lets look at the implication of that rule.  Suppose Tiger Woods played the Toshin Tournament last week. So not only would he bring his 45 World EVR to the Toshin Tournament, but his presence would also add up to 34 Home Tour EVR.  A total of 79 EVR to the Toshin Tournament.  

That would effectively take the Toshin tournament from a subsidized OWGR 16  (actual rating = 10) minimum to a near 24 tournament.  ONE PLAYER.  The total OWGR points awarded goes from 68 points to 114 for the tournament.

If this is the case.......WOW.  One player can make one helluva difference. Too much of a difference IMO.
Yeah, I thought you knew about that.   I made a big post on it (and LOL... a similar "scenario" to what you did)  when I first discovered it. (Which was a few months after the OWGR started showing the World and Home points breakdowns on their posted results PDF's).  Not sure if that was here or on the other board... but I know I brought it up again in the discussion when TT came in bloviating about OWGR earlier this year, because I used it as an example as the only way his "traveling points" thing could be construed as true.  

And by the way... the increase in home points can be 34, not 33... the way it works is it ROUNDS to the whole number closest to 75%... if the whole number below and above 75% are equal, then it's the higher.   the formula is  =ROUND(IF(Home Points<World Points*0.75,Home Points+World Points,World Points*1.75),0)   So that explains the Toshin deal you mentioned above. (EDIT:  OOPS.. maybe I misread 68 and 33 for your 69 and 34 when I originally read your post or didn't have my readers on... :-)    

EDIT: And I would agree with you... one player can make too much of a difference... just ask Lee Westwood.  No telling how many "bonus" points he got in those ultra small events he was cleaning up in when he was #1 or 2,  due to this very thing.  And by the way, I'm sure I wasn't aware of it then... or I would have brought it up then.

EDIT: Also check your PM's

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 20 Oct 2013, 6:09 pm

Basically this rule is saying that a minor tour cannot upgrade its subsidized OWGR value unless it gets the Top Player (or several elite players) into the field.

I wonder how long it has been that way.  I guess that is how Jumbo was able to stay so highly ranked 15-20 years ago.  Not only did he bring his HT EVR, but he brought over players HT EVR into the events he played.  And those players started earning more and more OWGR points.  And the Japanese was self perpetuating its ranking.

I bet if Tiger Woods had played all year on the Japanese Tour in 2013, that we would see twice as many Japanese Tour players in the top 200 and many of them in the top 100.  Even if Tiger had won all those tournaments.

Adding a gross 50% more OWGR points to the Japanese players resumes would have a big positive effect on the rankings of the tour players.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 20 Oct 2013, 6:33 pm

GPB wrote:Basically this rule is saying that a minor tour cannot upgrade its subsidized OWGR value unless it gets the Top Player (or several elite players) into the field.

I wonder how long it has been that way.  I guess that is how Jumbo was able to stay so highly ranked 15-20 years ago.  Not only did he bring his HT EVR, but he brought over players HT EVR into the events he played.  And those players started earning more and more OWGR points.  And the Japanese was self perpetuating its ranking.

I bet if Tiger Woods had played all year on the Japanese Tour in 2013, that we would see twice as many Japanese Tour players in the top 200 and many of them in the top 100.  Even if Tiger had won all those tournaments.

Adding a gross 50% more OWGR points to the Japanese players resumes would have a big positive effect on the rankings of the tour players.
Agreed on the Japan thing...  I didn't do a study or anything... but I did go back and do some spot checking of Japan players and some events when I noticed they were rarely getting over their Tour minimum this year... and found several things.  1) The had less very HIGH ranked players and one of those (Ryo) was spending time on the PGAT and... 2) some of the Japan Tour high ranked players were from other countries and had gone elsewhere like KT Kim...   3) They didn't seem to be getting the level of higher ranking "guest" play they did before.

And as for as how long.... I think its been a REAL long time, and I'm surprised I didn't pick up on it way sooner.   I mean think of it...    the Japan Tour has always had very loyal play from most their high ranked members, and they play a LOT.  So even if 1 or 2 players were out in the world, on a home tour basis you probably still had 20-28 of the 30 max guys contributing home points every week.   So there were probably a lot of events where they were getting 61-75 home tour points...  Even with ZERO world points 61-75 home points would make it a 20 point event unless home points were being limited in some way. But if you go back to 2007-08... most their events were 16 minimum... so it must have been in effect at least as far back as then when the change was made coming into 2007.   Japan Tour field ratings spiked up in 2009-11, but then fell in 2012, and have once more bottomed out this year at mostly 16 level events.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 20 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

This is a big potential loophole that could be exploited by the Japanese tour and the top ranked player.

Bundle up some Japanese Sponsors, like Toyota, Bridgestone, etc.

Pitch a $40 Million deal with Tiger/Steiny to not play the PGATour in 2014 and play the Japanese Tour year.  

Bingo Bango Bongo.  Japanese Tour gets several players in the top 50, several more in top 100 and 12-15 more in the top 200.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down