The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a match credit to both guys, Novak's will to win too much tonight

3 posters

Go down

What a match credit to both guys, Novak's will to win too much tonight Empty What a match credit to both guys, Novak's will to win too much tonight

Post by socal1976 Sat 14 May 2011, 10:21 pm

I think both players played great. Neither player served well in the third set, but I think a lot of that had to do with slow conditions and two of the best returners in the game standing across the net from each other. Can't say enough about how hard Djokovic fought tonight. Andy hit his forehand better than I have seen all year and was his usual stellar self running everything down. I was about to write the obituary to this streak a couple of times. But Novak refused to lose as Murray served for the match on two seperate occassions and Novak broke him both times. Truely inspiring courage there, and maybe Andy got a little tight. But Novak ran into a talented and hungry Andy Murray, but it still was not enough. This runs his record to 9-0 against players ranked in the top 5 on this streak. Really, loved the battle of drop shots tonight, Novak looked like he hurt himself a bit towards the end of the second set, hope he isn't injured, and I can't wait for the final. I hope Novak has enough gas in the tank to get it done against Nadal. What a brilliant match from two great players.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

What a match credit to both guys, Novak's will to win too much tonight Empty Re: What a match credit to both guys, Novak's will to win too much tonight

Post by legendkillar Sat 14 May 2011, 10:25 pm

Hey socal,

That was a stunning match. In the first set Djokovic just brutalised Murray and I felt there was only one winner. Then Murray somehow managed to claw his way back into and I felt Djokovic may have hit himself out after that first set. Stamina for me was key tonight. Both players at times hing in the match when they seemed out of it. Djokovic's return of serve tonight was brilliant. Set up so many points for him that did. I do hope Djokovic has some gas left in his tank for tomorrow.

I think Murray showed he is not far away from the top 3 in the world.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

What a match credit to both guys, Novak's will to win too much tonight Empty Re: What a match credit to both guys, Novak's will to win too much tonight

Post by socal1976 Sat 14 May 2011, 10:28 pm

Legendkillar, in my mind it was that little bit of confidence that made the difference. Djokovic really served pretty poorly from the first set on, of course that had a lot to do with the guy who was returning his serve on the other end and the slow clay court. Both guys I think will take away positives from this match. Novak came back twice when Murray was serving for the match and broke him both times. Murray came back from drubbing in the first set, and hit his forehand as well as I have seen all year.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 14 May 2011, 11:31 pm

I just saw this thread Socal....that WAS a mad match, absolutely top drawer tennis. Love Murray's counterpunching genius and how Nole was switching between aggression and slicing, his mix is absolutely superb.
Murray needs to work on agression a bit more; at one stage during the second set he almost started playing Novak's game, it was eery!

Nole did soooo well, I am utterly impressed...and drained....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 15 May 2011, 8:38 am

Yes, Nitb I thought Andy hit his forehand about as well as I have seen him hit all season. From the second set on he was being very aggressive and taking the play to novak until the end of the 3rd set. Both guys ran down a few shots that were truely inspiring.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down