The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V2 Journal Interview with Lucas Browne

3 posters

Go down

V2 Journal Interview with Lucas Browne Empty V2 Journal Interview with Lucas Browne

Post by ErmanH Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:19 am

Morning,

Lucas Browne kindly agreed to a short interview for the 'V2 Journal' before his upcoming fight with Richard Towers on 2nd November.  This has been uploaded to the site by Adam this morning:  http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/10/lucas-browne-invades-ukin-quest-for-commonwealth-title.html

cheers
Erman

Lucas Browne Invades UK in Quest for Commonwealth Title

By Erman Housein

Undefeated Australian Heavyweight Lucas ‘Big Daddy’ Browne has touched down in the UK ahead of his heavyweight Commonwealth title eliminator on Saturday 2nd November at The Hull Arena. The Perth native agreed to take time out from his final preparations to speak with the V2 Journal and discuss his upcoming bout part of Matchroom Boxing's 'Eye of The Tigers' bill.

Browne is aiming to become the first Australian to hold the Commonwealth title since Peter Jackson won the belt in 1892. Standing in his way of a shot at the title isBritain’s Richard Towers. At 6ft '8 and also undefeated the Sheffield based fighter is the current EU heavyweight champion and when the two collide there is potential for an explosive tear up. Browne has won 15 of his 17 pro fights by knock out with Towers boasting similarly impressive statistics, compiling a pro career of 14-0 with 11 knock outs. “Everything is more exciting in the heavyweight division” Browne explained “and it is because that one punch can make the fight, one of us is losing the '0' and it will be a great fight”.

The two fighters share a friendship and respect for each other outside of the ring with Browne happy to acknowledge that their upcoming bout is purely business. “Towers was a complete gentleman when I was last here and we got along very well. I don't want to be fighting Towers but we both understand it has to be done and this is the sport we have chosen”. The pair have previously sparred together too, although the Australian believes he has reached greater heights in the ring since these meetings. “We sparred a few times and I'm sure we have both taken something from those exchanges, but in saying that, it was a while ago now and I know I've improved ten fold from then so it will be interesting”.

The bout itself is long overdue, originally scheduled for December 2012 the heavyweight prospects will finally collide following two postponements. The first due to an injury sustained by Towers in sparring and then more recently the clash scheduled to take place in Melbourne was cancelled when the Yorkshireman was unable to obtain an Australian visa. Browne is delighted that the fight will finally take place and the switch of venue doesn’t appear to have given him much cause for concern.

Having fought in the UK twice previously he has no qualms with being the away fighter. “I'm pumped to finally get this fight because I want the Commonwealth title. I don't really care where the fight is, as long as I get a chance to fight for the belt and get a chance to show the world what I can do. I've got a decent following over here and I'm very thankful to the UK fans for getting behind me like they have. When it comes to fight time it doesn't matter where I am, I'm there to do what I do best”. Victory will likely see Browne return to the UK once more to meet current Commonwealth champion David Price and he isn't willing to underestimate the Liverpudlian following his back to back losses against Tony Thompson. “Price has lost two on the trot and has shown he can be hit and beaten but he is still a great fighter and this is the heavyweight division after all”.

A desire to be in the biggest fights and secure a legacy in the sport is high on the agenda for Browne. He has tasted the big fight atmosphere already in his career, facing and defeating future Hall of Famer James ‘Lights Out’ Toney. The pair met in Melbourne earlier this year with Browne winning a unanimous points victory with scores of 117-111, 119-109 and 120-108. Although, Browne readily admits the American is not the force he once was, he was still up against an experienced veteran and multi weight world champion. By winning comfortably Browne proved he could handle the big occasion, associated with facing a modern legend of the game. Speaking of his victory and the experience of facing Tony who is renowned for his trash talking in the build up to fights Browne stated the following. “I know people have said that he (Toney) wasn't the fighter he used to be which is very true, but I wasn't the fighter I'm going to be either. Toney talks and that's his style, where I don't and enjoy it when a big mouth is unable to mouth off after a fight because he's beaten convincingly and is also unable to. I enjoyed making a big mouth quiet”.

With victory over Toney, Browne won the vacant WBF heavyweight title which he defended successfully in his last outing sending Travis Walker to the canvas three times on route to securing a TKO victory with Walker retired on his stool at the end of the 7th round. With his immediate focus very much on Towers and his quest towards the Commonwealth title Browne was still willing to share his long term ambitions of how he wishes to be remembered inside and outside of the ring. “I want the name Lucas ‘Big Daddy’ Browne to go down in history as a ferocious fighter, good bloke, and entertaining to watch. Winning this title will set me on the right path for that. I want to be remembered as the scariest fighter in the ring, but the most approachable outside the ring”.

Currently at the top of the tree in the heavyweight division sit the Klitschko's and Browne shared his admiration for both brothers longevity even if he's not fully enamoured with the entertainment value they bring to their bouts. “I have full respect for the brothers and they have dominated the heavyweight scene for years, but they're boring to watch” He isn't however as critical as some with regards to Wladimir Klitschko’s holding and grappling performance in his recent victory over against Alexander Povektin stating “I’m a fan of clinching due to my MMA background and don't mind it if it works”.

Browne who won 6 of his 8 MMA bouts before making the switch to boxing, a transition he found smooth and natural. “I was always a boxer, I just didn't know it back then. I won all my fights by KO with my hands, so the transition wasn't hard for me plus I've brought a few tricks along with me too”. Despite finding success in the boxing ring there are elements of the sport which do not sit well with Browne. He explained “The thing that frustrates me most is the fact that everyone loves to talk and support you but when it comes to money everyone runs and hides. I'm still working to survive due to lack of sponsors and monetary support at the moment. There's a lot of talent that just doesn't get seen because they don't get a chance financially”.

A victory over Towers would help place Browne in a very strong position to seek the more financially rewarding fights in the division. If he could then follow up with a further win over David Price he would certainly be in the mix to face the current crop of top heavyweight contenders and Browne would relish the opportunity to test himself by fighting the best.  He revealed “Boxing for me is a chance to show my talents on a world stage and be remembered. I also want to be comfortable in my out of the ring life and just want to be all I can be and go as far as I possibly can”.

For Browne to continue emerging as a force in the sport he will need to come through his latest challenge. With the stage set for two hard hitting heavyweights to take the ring and inject some much needed excitement in to the division he has the perfect opportunity to launch himself to the next level. Leaving the final word with Browne he has the following message for those in attendance on the night and fight fans tuning in to watch on 2nd November. “All I can say is thank you for the support you've shown me, and i'll be ready to make my mark on the world come fight time. Expect fire works and a fight to remember”.

Lucas Browne meets Richard Towers in a final eliminator for the Commonwealth Heavyweight title on 2nd November 13, at The Hull Arena, Live on Sky Sports.

Last edited by ErmanH on Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

V2 Journal Interview with Lucas Browne Empty Re: V2 Journal Interview with Lucas Browne

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 24 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

Nice interview

Its incredible how far David Price has fallen from genuine prospect, to someone who the up and comers are genuinely targetting as a stepping stone to the bigger pay days

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

V2 Journal Interview with Lucas Browne Empty Re: V2 Journal Interview with Lucas Browne

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:50 am

rick_dagless wrote:Nice interview

Its incredible how far David Price has fallen from genuine prospect, to someone who the up and comers are genuinely targetting as a stepping stone to the bigger pay days
Where does it say he's targeting Price, I read it as the interviewer saying a victory over someone like Price would put him in the mix with other HW contenders.

Anyway, can't say I know much about Browne and whilst I don't really rate Towers, he's a guy that has to be beaten if Lucas is to move anywhere.

Biggest congratulations must however be reserved for the OP's mention of Peter Jackson. Good work fella!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:57 am

Victory will likely see Browne return to the UK once more to meet current Commonwealth champion David Price and he isn't willing to underestimate the Liverpudlian following his back to back losses against Tony Thompson. “Price has lost two on the trot and has shown he can be hit and beaten but he is still a great fighter and this is the heavyweight division after all”
guess i read it differently DAVE, though I thought you may be all over this like a cheap suit with the Jackson ref Smile
(surprised it took this long)

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by ErmanH Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:01 am

Price is the Commonwealth Champion and this is a final eliminator for the Commonwealth title, so unless Price vacates he is likely to meet the winner.

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:07 am

Unless the fight's a stinker and they couldn't sell it in a month of Sundays. I think Price still needs that confidence rebuilding fight and I'm not sure a title defence is the best way to go about it.

He's at a tricky stage in his career. It's clear changes need to be made but if he starts taking six/eight rounders people will suggest he's lost his bottle. If they start giving him 12 rounders with seasoned opposition they'll be accused of throwing him to the wolves...if they're not careful, Price could end up like his mate Tom Dallas (who, it has to be said, also appears to have suffered a lack of self belief recently)

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 24 Oct 2013, 1:05 pm

I had it in my head that Lucas Browne was a hatton fighter. Must have mixed that up. He's already mid 30s so a bit late as a prospect. Feels like towers has been around the uk scene for ages without going anywhere. Was surprised to read he was undefeated.
I think either of these guys would be a perfect fight for price. I can't imagine he'd have much difficulty, and if he had its time for him to sit down.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by ErmanH Thu 24 Oct 2013, 1:19 pm

jimdig wrote:I had it in my head that Lucas Browne was a hatton fighter. Must have mixed that up.
You're quite right Ricky Hatton does promote Browne although this fight is taking place on a Matchroom card on Sky Sports.

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down