The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pain in golf

+7
super_realist
incontinentia
Bob_the_Job
McLaren
JAS
BlueCoverman
MontysMerkin
11 posters

Go down

Pain in golf Empty Pain in golf

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:00 am

Super has asserted that you should not get injuries in golf (in reference to mr cheating cheaty pants).
However I have done my back in swinging like a loon, reckon someone on here has buggered their feet.
But the best injuries seem to be inflicted with equipment.
Who hasn't laughed out loud when a playing partner has gone down as if shot after tapping their shoe after a bunker shot and Muppet themselves on the ankle?
Anyone care to give us your best injury tales? (please leave out ones that result in death or worse - I'm a sensitive soul)
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Pain in golf Empty Re: Pain in golf

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:22 am

Seeing our pro get hit just above the eye by a golf ball during a pro-am at the Belfry was pretty painful. Not for me though, I was the one who had just shanked it out of a greenside bunker...

A few years an old boy at our club was hit in the face by an errant golf shot. Unfortunately he was wearing glasses and the shattered lenses caused the loss of sight in one eye. He got paid out £25,000, not a lot of money for losing an eye but I guess the Insurance Company took his age into account.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:26 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Seeing our pro get hit just above the eye by a golf ball during a pro-am at the Belfry was pretty painful. Not for me though, I was the one who had just shanked it out of a greenside bunker...

A few years an old boy at our club was hit in the face by an errant golf shot. Unfortunately he was wearing glasses and the shattered lenses caused the loss of sight in one eye. He got paid out £25,000, not a lot of money for losing an eye but I guess the Insurance Company took his age into account.
Oooh nasty. A guy got hit on our 18th tee this year, luckily the glasses didn't result in lost eye but he was carted away by ambulance (buggered up the fairway!). We came round about 20 mins after the event and I managed to walk and push my trolley through the puddle of blood next to the tee. Thoughtless of him to leave it there.

You really hit your pro? You must be popular! Having said that I reckon a few at our place would like to take a few potshots at our pro! Especially after showing some of the ladies how to hold a shaft correctly....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 25 Oct 2013, 12:01 pm

Does mental pain count? E.g. 3 up with 5 to play and losing = injured pride

Of course you can pick up injuries, whether from overuse or a poorly executed stroke. Also if you're susceptible a back injury doesn't need much encouragement!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Oct 2013, 12:19 pm

Played in a winter league match a couple of years ago, and one of the opposition managed to knock his partner out on his practice backswing with his driver. He was out cold for a couple of minutes, woke up, rubbed his head and carried on. He had a lump like an egg on the top of his swede, but played like a demon and knocked us out the comp! I always make sure theres no-one about before I start my Jimenez like preshot contortions (sometimes referred to as a practice swing).
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 25 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

On a course I was a member of a while back there was a tough run of holes that worked their way up a hill. Sadly one day a guy snuffed it after making it to the top. Not sure if he died on the spot or later in hospital.

Once saw a guy take a 7 iron follow through just above his eye. Somehow all he got was a really bad cut and no skull fracture or loss of consciousness.

Also know of an instance like the one mentioned above where someone lost an eye after a ball caught them in the eye.

Not pain or an injury as such but one time I was waiting a tee in a slow going comp and out of nowhere a guy from the group in front dashed off towards the tree's, and obviously shat himself half way between the tee and the woods. He continued into the woods, where we thought we should just let him be. 5-10 mins passed so we all went to have a peek and check if he was ok.

To our shock it looked like he was passed out on the deck, then as we approached it was clear he was laying in the fetal position and sort of sobbing. As he sensed us approach he just kept shouting for us to F off. So we did.

His mate stayed and to work out what was up with him. Turns out he wasn't even ill. He had been bursting for a shat ever since he left the house but had turned up too close to his tee time to take one at the club, and just had to rush onto the 1st tee.

He was apparently a bit of a sensitive character so had just started to sob when the embarrassment of what had happened hit him. He stayed away from the club for at least 5 years after the event.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 25 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
You really hit your pro?

Yes really. We had to let two groups behind us through whilst he mopped up the blood. Nice lad he played pretty well after that! Comfortably the most embarrassing moment for me ever on the golf course.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 25 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm

I carry my bag and once slipped going down a wet grassy slope. I did a sort of barrel role and ended up back on my feet, but bent my Big Bertha in the process.

I have seen a number of proper injuries (pulled muscles, tendon strains etc) from slipping or tripping, but nothing attributable to the actual swing...yet.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

a guy at my old club lost a testicle after being struck by a wayward titleist.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:17 pm

I remember a guy died on the first tee at my club.
It was just after April and the first thing my mate said on hearing the news was:

"I hope he'd paid his fees" Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:20 pm

McLaren wrote:...Not pain or an injury as such but one time I was waiting a tee in a slow going comp and out of nowhere a guy from the group in front dashed off towards the tree's, and obviously shat himself half way between the tee and the woods.  He continued into the woods, where we thought we should just let him be.  5-10 mins passed so we all went to have a peek and check if he was ok.

To our shock it looked like he was passed out on the deck, then as we approached it was clear he was laying in the fetal position and sort of sobbing.  As he sensed us approach he just kept shouting for us to F off.  So we did.

His mate stayed and to work out what was up with him.  Turns out he wasn't even ill.  He had been bursting for a shat ever since he left the house but had turned up too close to his tee time to take one at the club, and just had to rush onto the 1st tee.

He was apparently a bit of a sensitive character so had just started to sob when the embarrassment of what had happened hit him.  He stayed away from the club for at least 5 years after the event.
That wasn't Tarka was it? Come to think of it, I don't remember him saying he was that embarrassed about the episode...

Can't think of any except a shank (I didn't do it!) which hit someone full in the ballocks. Took the guy a while to recover as I recall.

On the subject of hitting oneself in the ankle, why does that hurt so damn much??? Did it once nonchalantly twirling my putter as I walked across a green - ouch!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:21 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:...but bent my Big Bertha in the process....
Now. That does sound seriously painful! Yikes 
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:29 pm

incontinentia wrote:a guy at my old club lost a testicle after being struck by a wayward titleist.

So that's why they are called Titleist Solo's laughing

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
incontinentia wrote:a guy at my old club lost a testicle after being struck by a wayward titleist.

So that's why they are called Titleist Solo's laughing
Well they are the Number 1 ball in golf.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:59 pm

A few years ago we were coming off of the 18th and watching the group behind looking for a ball on the side of the hill. There was a guy driving a cart in circles leaning out to the side so that he could spot the ball. Unfortunately he did not spot a small tree stump which he drove into and this caused the cart to stop dead in its tracks. The impact sent him flying forward into the pillar where the windshield connects and he bumped his head firmly enough to cut himself. He then fell sideways out of the cart, still in a seated position, with his hands in the 10 and 2 position. One of my mates was in the group behind and he said he was trying so hard not to laugh as he was pressing a towel to this guy's head. We did race back to the clubhouse to raise the alarm but we almost hysterical by the time we got there.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Fri 25 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

nothing major myself, managed to sprain my wrist badly once. Was playing in a pretty decent u-18s event at St georges and was going along nicely when I hooked it off the 12th tee. had about 150 out of jungle rough but fancied that I could smash a gap wedge out of it and leave myself a chip and a putt for par.
Hit is as hard as I could and got the ball out about 50 yards short of the green but sprained my wrist in the process and went on to shoot a pretty poor score after. I had to hit driver off every tee from then on with a half swing and no wrist man sausage.

Seen a couple of people hit by golf balls but nothing to serious.

Once saw a member roll a buggy (after a few lunchtime shandies) into a lake, with his partner still in it. they both flapped around for a bit but the lake wasn't deep and they got out fine.

Our ex captain of a few years ago actually died on the 14th green at my home club. He left a club at the front of the green when he had chipped up and jogged back from the 15th tee to get it.. when he hadn't come back in a few minutes the others went to see what he was doing. Found him on the green having a serious heart attack and he died before an ambulance could get there.

Tragic, but in a weird way I wouldn't mind dying on the golf course (as long as I wasn't playing really well, that would be irritating)

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Fri 25 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

iv just seen that it changes the word c.o.c.k to man sausage . Hilarious!

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Oct 2013, 2:40 pm

oneorthree wrote: I had to hit driver off every tee from then on with a half swing and no wrist man sausage. Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 25 Oct 2013, 4:07 pm

Think I mentioned this once before, but still makes me wince. A pal had bought himself one of the pitch mark tools which clip onto a belt. He put his at the front and when he squatted behind a putt the thing stuck in him! Must have been exactly the perfect angle! Drew blood, and but for the fact we were rolling in the aisles, did turn out to be very painful! Never saw him use it again!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down