The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One at a time or all at once?

+9
Dr Gregory House MD
Scottrf
ShahenshahG
Dolphin Ziggler
hampo17
ONETWOFOREVER
dummy_half
XR
Rowley
13 posters

Go down

One at a time or all at once? Empty One at a time or all at once?

Post by Guest Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:35 am

Currently ploughing through "Breaking bad" having seen so many positive reviews about it. Now perhaps there's an element of me going against the grain of populist opinion but I'm not sure it's as earth-shatteringly brilliant are some are claiming. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable but had I watched it one episode per week I doubt I would have stuck with it to the stage I'm at now.

Are there any other shows/series that are easier to digest in a single sitting or some that become stiflingly dull unless you have a seven day break from them.

Back in the hey day of "24" I would crave Sunday night's episode but then watching them on dvd with my wife, it was quite annoying to see Kim Bauer YET AGAIN having to be resued by her dad having been told to "sit there and don't move" If you had to rescue a loved one from the same peril three times in one day you'd be giving serious consideration as to whether or not they had some kind of impairment or were just trying to wind you up.

Are they any other shows which benefit from being viewed in large blocks or that you really do need to take a break from?

Back to top Go down

One at a time or all at once? Empty Re: One at a time or all at once?

Post by Rowley Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:41 am

Not really the question but do stick with Breaking Bad Dave is pretty much the dictionary definition of a slow burner and by the third or fourth series you really buy into the characters and where it will finish up and Cranston is absolutely brilliant in it.

However to the question I lack patience. Once I am into something I like to watch it back to back. Enjoyed the Sopranos on a weekly basis. Was not a show that tended to finish on big cliff hangers so you did not have that thing of wanting to see what happened next, but the week gave you time to speculate as to where it was going to go and what might happen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

The Wire was a show where i would end up buying a season on dvd and watching it in 3 days and then buying the next one. Great TV

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 25 Oct 2013, 1:10 pm

I definitely prefer watching serial dramas back to back, or at least in a very compreesed time frame - Watched the first three series of GoT like that and just caught up a week before the ned of the latest series on Sky. Having to wait that extra week was a bit of a downer.

Similarly, I watched 5 episodes of The Newsroom in something like 3 nights (my missus and daughter were away). Definitely makes the narrative flow more gripping. Did muh the same with my West Wing box set (one or two episodes an evening for as long as the 7 seasons took...)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 25 Oct 2013, 5:42 pm

Breaking Bad is great.

The acting is quite below par but still a fantastic story if a little un realistic.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 26 Oct 2013, 9:51 am

I'm watching Season 1-4 of Sons of Anarchy back to back at the minute, hopefully will be finished by the time season 5 is released next month. I agree with Dave though, if it was the same stuff every couple of episodes then it would get boring. I could easily sit and watch all the seasons of The Walking Dead or GoT in one go.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 26 Oct 2013, 10:08 am

Breaking Bad is amazing.

If you dislike you're a blind idiot.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 26 Oct 2013, 11:45 am

I think its overrated.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 26 Oct 2013, 12:19 pm

I think wrestling is lame. We could play this all day.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 26 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

I watched "the Practice" back to back then went round for a second go. Brilliant show.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:27 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Breaking Bad is great.

The acting is quite below par
The three Emmy's Cranston has thus far received for Breaking Bad would suggest otherwise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

Ignore him Rowley. He is just a pathetic troll.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:43 pm

How's he trolling Bull? He thinks the show is great but the acting isn't, not exactly trolling is it?

You tend to find with a few American shows the show is great but the acting could be a lot better.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:55 pm

I didn't like Breaking Bad. Couldn't care about the characters at all.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

The acting is stunning. Oh and 3 emmy's would disagree.

Thanks Scott for sharing. Please give the talking pillow to someone else now.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:04 pm

In your opinion Bull, wasn't it the same guy who won those Emmys? Is it possible the supporting cast are a little weak?

I've never seen it and it's not something I'd sit down and watch, to much on the tele as it is.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:06 pm

The supporting cast is brilliant. Especially Aaron Paul.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:27 pm

I find the new backlash to BB quite interesting, I think the biggest problem the show has that it has come in for a lot of hype in recent times, and despite the general high quality, it's a pretty slow starter.

I started watching BB back in 09 on nothing more than a recommendation from my mate and a fascination with the Hal/Cancer/Meth plot description, so I never got any you must watch this, this is amazing from anyone, a lot of people I have known to try the show in more recent times, tell me they can't get through the first season.

It's not my place to tell anyone what to think but for me it takes to mid season 3 for the show to hit the heights that earn the acclaim it's getting now, but for me, even if you think it's not as great as people are making out, my advice is to stick with it to the end of the 3rd season, if your not sold by then, then it's probably not the show for you.

One place I can't agree is the comments on the acting, Cranston is great, but Paul and Esposito were the real standouts for me, Paul's eyes had more acting ability on their own than the whole cast of Eastenders.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

Oh and as for Dave's original question, I'm drawing a blank tbh, that said I tend not to bother with superfluous TV so anything I watch I want to see again asap

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Sat 26 Oct 2013, 2:57 pm

I can understand if people do not want to watch shows back to back. Personally though i can watch shows back to back, i have watched some of Breaking Bad i think i am on Season 2 at the moment and i think that it is fantastic and i also think that the acting is fantastic too.

An example of a show that i have recently watched (i have watched a few i think) from start to finish is Suits. I do it with quite a lot of shows where i get hooked on it and watch it till i have caught up or untill i have finished it. Suits i watched for the first time a few months ago now and i loved it and it is currently on a break within Season 3 untill Winter, at the time i first watched it it was mid way through the first half of season 3. I then recently watched it again from start to finish once it had finished for the break. I would recommend Suits to anyone by the way.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

Great shout Holy!!

Suits is fantastic! The chemistry between Mike Ross and Harvey Spector is incredible!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Sat 26 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

Depends on the type of show. I prefer to watch shows that are action driven like 24 and Game of Thrones back to back, as they are easier to follow than character driven shows.

I initially watched Breaking Bad on Netflix, but think it was just as enjoyable watching the last part of the series on a week by week basis.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 26 Oct 2013, 7:03 pm

Those of us who believe the acting in Breaking Bad is fantastic appear to be in pretty good company

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/oct/17/anthony-hopkins-bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-fan-letter

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat 26 Oct 2013, 11:05 pm

I've just finished season 4 of breaking bad about 15 minutes ago. Tend to agree that it is a great series plus love the supporting cast. The lawyer is over the top but thought Gus was superb. Season 5 starts tomorrow!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down