The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could There Ever Be?

2 posters

Go down

Could There Ever Be? Empty Could There Ever Be?

Post by Jammy31 Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:13 pm

So, I'm currently sat here watching the Jacksonville Jaguars play the San Francisco 49ers in the second International Series NFL game this season, and one thought popped into my head...

Could there ever be an international NHL game played in London?

Now, understandably, the NHL schedule is far more hectic and packed than the NFL schedule, with teams playing 2/3 times a week instead of just once a week. However, with American sports rapidly gaining popularity in the UK, and rumours of an NFL franchise moving over to the UK in the next 5-10 years, could an international game (or 2) be NHL's chance to evolve it's fan base further like the NFL, by heading across the pond?

The schedule is the only thing I can think of that is holding this idea back really.

Venue - On average, NHL arenas hold 18,750 people. Now, an international NHL game might not draw that kind of crowd, but three options I can think of are Wembley Arena (Capacity - 12,500), Earls Court (Capacity - 20,000) or The O2 Arena (Capacity - 20,000). All three have had experience in hosting major sporting events, so should be able to cope.

Attendance - Granted, NFL generally has the bigger UK fan base, however, NBA have managed to pull in the crowds when they have come over to the UK as part of the NBA Global Games. So, I'm sure there are a few UK based NHL fans who would quite eagerly fill the seats to watch a game over here.

I'd be very interested to hear what others think on this matter Smile
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Could There Ever Be? Empty Re: Could There Ever Be?

Post by CFCNick Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:31 am

The NHL already did this. There's more than I thought but obviously the ones I was looking for a link were the most recent Premiere Games. Obviously the lockout stopped them and at the minute there's no plans to start them up again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_international_games_played_by_NHL_teams

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 6:48 pm

Oh...I never knew that this existed! It's a shame about there being no plans for them to continue to be honest, as I'd really love to go to a few games and watch NHL live!
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum