The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November

+16
cakeordeath
GLove39
Manky-Flanker
Majestic83
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Captain_Sensible
VinceWLB
RDW
jimbopip
highland_scot
nickj
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
des
EWT Spoons
George Carlin
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Empty Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:23 am

Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Medita10Edinburgh Rugby v ZebreEdinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Italia10

Friday 1 November 2013, KO 19:45
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

Referee: Leighton Hodges (WRU, 31st competition game)
Assistant Referees: David Changleng, Bob Nevins (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: Rob Flockhart (SRU)

Doesn't seem to be televisedEdinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Smiley16

A. Teams:

I. Edinburgh
Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Harry_10 
15 Tonks
14 Fife
13 Dominguez
12 Atiga
11 Cuthbert
10 Leonard
9 Kennedy
1 Blaauw
2 Lutui
3 Nel
4 Gilchrist
5 van der Westhuizen
6 Leonardi
7 Grant CAPTAIN
8 Du Preez

Subs
16 Hilterbrand
17 Dickinson
18 Cross
19 Cox
20 Rennie
21 Hidalgo-Clyne
22 Beard
23 Jones

II. Zebre
Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Verdi10 
15 Dion BERRYMAN
14 Leonardo SARTO
13 Tommaso IANNONE
12 Gonzalo GARCIA
11 Giovanbattista VENDITTI
10 Luciano ORQUERA
9 Brendon LEONARD

8 Samuela VUNISA
7 Emiliano CAFFINI
6 Filippo CRISTIANO
5 Marco BORTOLAMI (cap)
4 Quintin GELDENHUYS
3 Dario CHISTOLINI
2 Davide GIAZZON
1 Salvatore PERUGINI

16 Luciano LEIBSON
17 Andrea DE MARCHI
18 David RYAN
19 Michael VAN VUREN
20 Andrea MANICI
21 Alberto CHILLON
22 David ODIETE
23 Giulio TONIOLATTI 

B. Form - head to head

2 Played 2
2 Wins 0
0 Losses 2
0 Draws 0
5 Tries 2
5 Conversions 2
5 Penalties 1
0 Drop Goals 0
50 Points 17
25 Avg. Age 26

C. Form - last season:

Friday 14 September 2012, 19:30 - Murrayfield
Edinburgh Rugby 41 - 10 Zebre

Friday 29 March 2013, 19:00 - Stadio XXV Aprile
Zebre 7 - 9 Edinburgh Rugby

D. Parliamo Edinburgh:

12 - Matt Scott, centre
Answer, the - Cornell du Preez, loosie
Big Bob - Robert McAlpine, lock
Big Jessie, that - (see His Mighty Timness)
Claire Balding - (see Dozer)
Coman the Barbarian - Mike Coman, loosie
Coxy - Sean Cox, lock
De Lukewarm/De Donkey - Nick De Luca, centre
Double Firstname - Piers Francis, fly half
Dozer - David Denton, loosie
Dubya Pee - Willem Petrus Nel, prop
Fairy, the - Lee Jones, wing
Fat Boy - Ben Atiga, centre
Fordy - Ross Ford, hooker
General, the - Greig Laidlaw, scrum half
Geriatric, the - Aleki Lutui, hooker
Ginger Midget, the - Roddy Grant, loosie
Grandpappy - Alan Solomons, head coach
His Mighty Timness - Tim Visser, wing
Igor - Jack Cuthbert, full back
Izzy - Izak van der Westhuizen, lock
Mad Georgian, the - Dimitri Basilaia, loosie
Piemaster - (see Fat Boy)
PJP - Perry Parker, lock
Puma, the - Tomás Leonardi, loosie
Revolving Door - Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, scum half
Scrum Doctor, the - Geoff Cross, prop
Sick Note - Ross Rennie, loosie
Tony - Grayson Hart, scrum half
Wikipedia - Wicus Blaauw, prop

E. Team representatives this week - composers:

Harry Lauder - born in Edinburgh
Giuseppe Verdi - born in Parma

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 2:46 pm; edited 6 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Empty Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:59 am

Nice thread GC.

Not sure about this match, on one side, it’s a game we should be winning, on the other, Zebre have improved and it could be a game where we slip up.

In the interest of getting off this rather uncomfortable fence, I’m going for an Edinburgh win in a match we dominate for large portions, but the result will be close and we'll end with a very squeaky bum as we do our best to throw it away.

All in all, I’m looking forward to it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November Empty Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Zebre, 1 November

Post by des Mon 28 Oct 2013, 12:58 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
In the interest of getting off this rather uncomfortable fence, I’m going for an Edinburgh win in a match we dominate for large portions, but the result will be close and we'll end with a very squeaky bum as we do our best to throw it away.

Pretty much the same as last Friday then?  It was a stereotypical good Scottish performance (if that's not an oxymoron) with statistical dominance but no killer blow.

I'm also looking forward to it.  Last week was the first time I've expected a win and seen it delivered.  It's feels like a dangerous mind set to have but I'm going with it this week too.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:43 pm

des wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Pretty much the same as last Friday then?  It was a stereotypical good Scottish performance (if that's not an oxymoron) with statistical dominance but no killer blow.
I'm also looking forward to it.  Last week was the first time I've expected a win and seen it delivered.  It's feels like a dangerous mind set to have but I'm going with it this week too.
aye pretty much, which is why I reckon it'll be the same again.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

We should and must be winning this game, with a 4 try bonus point if possible. I know Zebre are much improved, but we are a better side this season as well (at least in defence) and we have better players. We are also at home. We really ought to win this with something to spare - that should be the goal here.

We are starting to see the squad settle as well. The first choice front row is in place (Nel, Ford and Dickinson), as is the impressive back row of Basilia, Du Preez and Denton. Second row is a three way shoot out between Gilchrist, Cox and VdW. All good options, and with players like Lutui and Blauuw on the bench, the standard doesn't drop too far when we make subs.

The backline hasn't really clicked yet, but I think we just need to give the Scott/De Luca midfield more time, and Harry Leonard will improve. A worry to be missing Visser, but we really shouldn't need him to win this one.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

The edinburgh backs really are woeful at the moment! Call it harsh, but much of this needs to sit with young Leonard. It is his job to get the backline going!

Can't blame him for the defense though. Our backs need to get more backbone in this area!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Oct 2013, 3:34 pm

I think I'm right in saying that Leonard has only had two games this season with Scott and De Luca together in the centres, and Laidlaw at 9, and one of those was the Munster win.

I think we need that combination to play together a few more times and I predict it will develop quite nicely.

I think we also need to factor in the pack, which has been steadily improving this season. That impacts the quality and quantity of ball Leonard has to work with. I think we need to be patient with him. He has the raw materials to become very useful.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 28 Oct 2013, 4:00 pm

How long is Farndale out for? I was hoping to see a bit more of him this season?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 28 Oct 2013, 4:03 pm

nickj wrote:How long is Farndale out for? I was hoping to see a bit more of him this season?

As far as I'm aware he's not injured.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 Oct 2013, 4:40 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
nickj wrote:How long is Farndale out for? I was hoping to see a bit more of him this season?

As far as I'm aware he's not injured.
He's just not as good as Lee Jones, according to Lee Jones.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:29 am

Anyone going to this?

Been thinking about it, not come to a conclusion yet though - I will be working from 5am on Friday and don't want to fall asleep at Murrayfield...

Are all tickets £25 on the gate, or are concessions still available on the day? Somehow being a trainee accountant (almost as soulless as a lawyer, I know) lets me pretend to be a student, and get an NUS card for an extra 3 years!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:04 am

I'll be going along. I thought if you bought standing only tickets they were cheaper than £25, but as I have a season ticket I don't often have to purchase tickets at the gate (usually only when Mrs fEs agrees to come along which isn't often.....).

I suspect it'll be too cold to fall asleep!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

When are the teams out, then?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:13 am

FES, doesn't all the cheering and other hullabaloo keep you awake? You know, like it does at Scotstoun?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:22 am

Great thread GC!

Depending on how many Scotland players are rested, we could see a completely NSQ pack put out tomorrow. Can't think of any Scottish forwards who aren't in the Scotland squad, who are likely to start tomorrow.

The pack could quite easily be Blaauw, Lutui, Nel, VDV, Cox, Basalaia, Leonardi, Du Preez - completely NSQ!

I suspect Laidlaw, Denton and Ford will definitely be rested, but I hope Matt Scott (12) gets a game before the AIs as he's been looking short of match fitness recently.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:31 am

Good pack! but i think Grant will be there somehow. There is a fair probability that Cross could start at TH too.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:33 am

Yeah forgot about the ginger midget - might make things look a bit better if there was at least one Scottish forward!

highland_scot - tickets are £25 on the day, £20 by midnight tonight. You can print at home if you buy them online so that is always a good option if you know you are definitely coming

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Great thread GC!

Depending on how many Scotland players are rested, we could see a completely NSQ pack put out tomorrow.  Can't think of any Scottish forwards who aren't in the Scotland squad, who are likely to start tomorrow.

The pack could quite easily be Blaauw, Lutui, Nel, VDV, Cox, Basalaia, Leonardi, Du Preez - completely NSQ!

I suspect Laidlaw, Denton and Ford will definitely be rested, but I hope Matt Scott (12) gets a game before the AIs as he's been looking short of match fitness recently.
I agree, plus I'd like Tonks to play at 15 for the same reason. My team to start:

1.Blaauw 2.Lutui 3.Nel 4.VdW 5.Cox(c) 6.Basilia 7.Grant 8.Du Preez 9.Hidalgo-Clyne 10.Leonard 11.Cuthbert 12.Scott 13.Dominguez 14.Fife 15.Tonks

16.Cross 17.Hilterbrand 18.Niven 19.Atkins 20.Leonardi 21.Kennedy 22.Atiga 23.Jones

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:02 am

Ideal looking team FES, although orders may come on high for Cross to get a start.

Still, enough to beat Zebre, a 4 try bp is a bit beyond us though I think.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:57 am

Edinburgh v Zebre:

15 Tonks
14 Fife
13 Dominguez
12 Atiga
11 Cuthbert
10 Leonard
9 Kennedy
1 Blaauw
2 Lutui
3 Nel
4 Gilchrist
5 van der Westhuizen
6 Leonardi
7 Grant CAPTAIN
8 Du Preez

Subs
16 Hilterbrand
17 Dickinson
18 Cross
19 Cox
20 Rennie
21 Hidalgo-Clyne
22 Beard
23 Jones

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:59 am

With that backline we're definitely not getting a 4 try BP. Doh 

Also,, ROSS RENNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:25 pm

Great to see Rennie back, hope he remains fit for a long period now clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:41 pm

Great seeing Rennie's name on the list. I'd have liked Scott at 12 but I can understand why Scott Johnson may not want to risk him, particularly with doubts over Dunbar and Taylor. Hopefully we'll be able to live with Scott's comparative lack of match practice against Japan. Remember he was pretty fresh going into the Munster game and he played pretty well that day.

The other interesting pick is Beard on the bench. In fact the bench generally has a handy look to it, and quite capable of freshening things up. It's quite a mobile group of forwards on the bench, so we ought to have good energy in the last 20 minutes, and Hidalgo-Clyne can certainly add some pace and freshness around the fringes (not that Kennedy is slow in that regard).

I think we'll win, and we should be able to deny them a LBP. Don't think we have 4 tries in us though. Good chance for Leonard to kick some points and demonstrate that he can control a game, as we ought to get some ball in this one.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

Anyone know what's going on with Jamie Farndale?

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

Given that there’s a 3 week break after this game I’m surprised Rennie has been selected at all. Might have been better just to give him 3 weeks extra to get up to speed with his strength and fitness. Unless they want to give him game time and allow him 3 weeks to treat any niggles and strains that he picks up as a result of being out for so long.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:Anyone know what's going on with Jamie Farndale?
I was wondering the same thing. I was expecting to see more of him this season. I wondered whether he was injured. I hope he's not struggling after his leg break.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

Anyone know if he's been playing in Prem 1? He surely isn't below Lee Jones in the pecking order...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

I suppose it's worth noting that Farndale is still 19. Plenty of time for him to break through into the first team.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:50 pm

True, but when you consider our other options are Lee Jones, Cuthbert and Nikki Walker he's not exactly overwhelmed with competition...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:57 pm

Looking at the Edinburgh team there are obviously quite a few players from outside the EU. What is the rulling on how many they can have in a team these days. Obviously there is the Kolpack agreement which means, South Africans, Tongan's, samoans and fijians don't count as overseas players. Edinburgh have Dominguez an argentinian, Atiga a kiwi, Leonardi an Argentinian, Hilterbrand an aussie and Beard a kiwi all in their squad? Obviously it isn't just Edinburgh that have lots of foreign players in their team so just wondered if any knows what the actual rulling is on it as I know Exeter were penalised for getting it wrong last season.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 31 Oct 2013, 3:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:True, but when you consider our other options are Lee Jones, Cuthbert and Nikki Walker he's not exactly overwhelmed with competition...
The power of encumbency is very strong, especially, I imagine, in the mind of a new coach. Solomons doesn't strike me as a man to 'gamble' on Farndale when other options are available. I'm sure he'll get his chance, though. The SRU will be wanting to push SQ'd players as much as possible.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 3:09 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Looking at the Edinburgh team there are obviously quite a few players from outside the EU. What is the rulling on how many they can have in a team these days. Obviously there is the Kolpack agreement which means, South Africans, Tongan's, samoans and fijians don't count as overseas players. Edinburgh have Dominguez an argentinian, Atiga a kiwi, Leonardi an Argentinian, Hilterbrand an aussie and Beard a kiwi all in their squad? Obviously it isn't just Edinburgh that have lots of foreign players in their team so just wondered if any knows what the actual rulling is on it as I know Exeter were penalised for getting it wrong last season.
Absolutely no idea, but pretty sure Hilterbrand is SQ as a side point.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

Yeah Hilterbrand is Scottish qualified but I am not sure if he will be on a UK passport which is apparently what it comes down to. The reason i was interested is that I was reading about Nemani Nadolo who has signed for the Crusaders. When he was at Exeter he was the player that was picked when he shouldn't have been. He is Fijian born and plays for Fiji but travels on an Australian passport therefore didn't count as part of the Kolpack agreement so was ruled as a foreign player. Seems pretty confusing set of rules.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 31 Oct 2013, 3:23 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Anyone know if he's been playing in Prem 1? He surely isn't below Lee Jones in the pecking order...!
Think he is playing for Edinburgh accies in the B&I cup

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

Manky-Flanker wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Anyone know if he's been playing in Prem 1? He surely isn't below Lee Jones in the pecking order...!
Think he is playing for Edinburgh accies in the B&I cup
That's the next best thing then if he's not playing for Edinburgh. Hope he does get some game time for Edinburgh this season - he looks a real prospect.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 31 Oct 2013, 3:50 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Yeah Hilterbrand is Scottish qualified but I am not sure if he will be on a UK passport which is apparently what it comes down to. The reason i was interested is that I was reading about Nemani Nadolo who has signed for the Crusaders. When he was at Exeter he was the player that was picked when he shouldn't have been. He is Fijian born and plays for Fiji but travels on an Australian passport therefore didn't count as part of the Kolpack agreement so was ruled as a foreign player. Seems pretty confusing set of rules.
Maj, that's exactly right, altho I believe that Nadolo held/holds two passports, but that his work permit for the UK, necessary to register him to play in the AP, was in his Aussie passport (non-Kolpak) - so this is more of an employment law situation than one where international caps have any bearing on the situation

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 31 Oct 2013, 4:12 pm

Has Hilterbrand played any significant amount of rugby for Edinburgh yet? I've seen him on the bench a few times but I can't recall him playing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 4:13 pm

He's got on a couple of times with 15 minutes to go or so - not enough to make much of a judgement.

I thought he was going to get some gametime at prop considering the number of hookers we have, but he seems to primarily be classed as a hooker.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 31 Oct 2013, 4:53 pm

It'll surely be concerning for him when Steven Lawrie returns to fitness, as I assume he'll then be 4th choice hooker. Still, Lutui is no spring chicken, and people seem to talk about Ford leaving every summer.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 4:59 pm

Ford was meant to have left this summer as he singed a 2 year contract 2 years ago - somehow he had a 3rd year added on with no one noticing!

Maybe we've signed loads of hookers to prepare us for Ford leaving.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 31 Oct 2013, 5:02 pm

Also, Dave Denton's contract is up this summer so suspect the rumours about a move to Leicester might have some truth Sad 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 5:49 pm

Speaking of rugby happenings in Edinburgh, looks as though Marcus Di Rollo's Dad has been abusing match officials http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/13/10/31/discipline-panel

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:21 pm

This is the srongest Zebre's front 5 possible, Geldenhuys returns from an eye injury which means to me Zebre are targetting this game.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer than the Treviso game.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:16 am

McInally has been named in the Currie squad for the weekend - his first game at hooker.

Let's hope he doesn't hate it and end up having to move back again!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:44 am

score predictions anyone?

I'm going with 23 -15 for Edinburgh
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:47 am

19-16 Edinburgh in a rubbish game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:13 am

Why is this not on TV.

With the best team in Scotland playing in Ireland tomorrow, there should have been an opening in the schedule to help remind the Glasgow fans just how good we are..

Run 

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:57 am

cakeordeath wrote:Why is this not on TV.

With the best team in Scotland playing in Ireland tomorrow, there should have been an opening in the schedule to help remind the Glasgow fans just how good we are..

Run 
Totally agree, can't understand why the match isn't on. Friday early evening BBC Alba is becoming a bit of a tradition in our house.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:00 am

Edinburgh 45

Tries: Tonks (2), Atiga, Nel, Leonard, Hidalgo-Clyne
Conversions: Leonard (6)
Penalties: Leonard

Zebre 6

Penalties: Orquera (2)

Looking forward to it.....

Very Happy

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 01 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Edinburgh 45

Tries: Tonks (2), Atiga, Nel, Leonard, Hidalgo-Clyne
Conversions: Leonard (6)
Penalties: Leonard

Zebre 6

Penalties: Orquera (2)

Looking forward to it.....

Very Happy
You expecting Atiga to move to Number 8 in an attacking scrum on the Zebre 5m line so he can fal onto the ball when it goes over the line???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next